Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

We need an rvn

I see no reason to give him a new contract to be honest. He's got 2 years left, highest paid keeper in the world bar far on a stupid contract, plus I can't see him agreeing a pay cut on a new contract even if we did offer him one. So he'd be on £375k for another 4 - 5 years instead of 2.

Yes, he's on form right now. But there are still big flaws in his game and he can easily go back to his poor form too.

Happy to give Dean his slot

Idxomer

I want us to move on from him but this is a silly tweet, he didn't initiate anything. The thing I noticed the most is how easily Brighton bypassed the press by Fred and Bruno who vacated their own midfield. The whole team really seemed to be going through the motions in that 1st half.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I want us to move on from him but this is a silly tweet, he didn't initiate anything. The thing I noticed the most is how easily Brighton bypassed the press by Fred and Bruno who vacated their own midfield. The whole team really seemed to be going through the motions in that 1st half.
Tbh with you, the simple pass to McTominay was on but he decided to hoof it and Brighton won the the ball back and forced him into making a save. It's easy to see why Luis Enrique has dropped him for Spain, and that reason is because he wants his team to control the game in all facets of play. He wouldn't play for any coach who looks to impose a proactive brand of football.

I can't on one hand criticise Maguire and Wan Bissaka due to their unsuitability for the modern game and spare de Gea. We either want to modernise our play style or we don't. DDG will obviously look to extend his contract with us because I can't see progressive minds at other clubs wanting him. Our new head coach will obviously decide if he wants to keep him but i'm hoping we get rid and look to sign a keeper with a more rounded skill set.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not sure about that.

It would make more sense to me if we were rarely if ever supposed to go long in that situation and De Gea only decided to hit it long because he's weak on the ball. But going long and direct is something we opt to do regularly and deliberately under Rangnick, presumably because he's fine with us trying to win percentage balls and counter-pressing off the back of it. When you opt to do so, that obviously means it's more likely that the players on the other end will have to actually compete for and win the ball, something neither Elanga nor Bruno managed.

At that point Brighton regained possession, brought it back to their goalkeeper, progressed their way through our team and created a chance with relative ease, which is the bigger issue. But that's not the same as De Gea initiating their attack.

Which isn't to say that De Gea isn't a problem in possession generally, mind. But framing his decision to go long directly against Sanchez playing the ball out with shorter passes ignores the fact that both goalkeepers aren't under the same instructions in terms of how acceptable it is for them to hit a long ball forward for their attackers to compete for.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not sure about that.

It would make more sense to me if we were rarely if ever supposed to go long in that situation and De Gea only decided to hit it long because he's weak on the ball. But going long and direct is something we opt to do regularly and deliberately under Rangnick. When you opt to do so, that obviously means it's more likely that the players on the other end will have to actually compete for and win the ball, something neither Elanga nor Bruno managed.

At that point Brighton regained possession, brought it back to their goalkeeper, progressed their way through our team and created a chance with relative ease, which is the bigger issue. But that's not the same as De Gea initiating their attack.

Which isn't to say that De Gea isn't a problem in possession generally, mind. But framing his decision to go long directly against Sanchez playing the ball out with shorter passes ignores the fact that both goalkeepers aren't under the same instructions in terms of how acceptable it is for them to hit a long ball forward for their attackers to compete for.
We can agree to disagree on him hoofing the ball when there was a simple pass on. And I completely disagree that Rangnick would instruct him to hit it long in the scenario in question. I've watched Rangnick coached teams for many years and his goal keepers wouldn't be instructed to do what de Gea did.

But if you want to transition from a reactive team to a proactive team, then you need a keeper who is proactive. It's why Enrique doesn't play him and instead uses Unai Simon for the Spanish NT.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
We can agree to disagree on him hoofing the ball when there was a simple pass on. And I completely disagree that Rangnick would instruct him to hit it long in the scenario in question. I've watched Rangnick coached teams for many years and his goal keepers wouldn't be instructed to do what de Gea did.

But if you want to transition from a reactive team to a proactive team, then you need a keeper who is proactive. It's why Enrique doesn't play him and instead uses Unai Simon for the Spanish NT.
Clearly hitting it long was influenced by a lack of trust in our midfielders turning and finding a pass. We’ve conceded a lot of goals/chances from interceptions outside our own box. Fred is awful at it. See his attempt at cutting out a pass in that passage of play. Completely failed. Also the header which was missed by a fair bit too and our “press”. How could anybody use this footage and first thing notice that de Gea gave the ball away! I mean, look at our goal. Bissouma handed us the ball on a plate, yet most folk are still rating him as someone who could come in and improve us. We all know kicking/passing from the back ain’t Dave’s strongest point but feck, that save was a minute after he kicked it to the halfway line.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Clearly hitting it long was influenced by a lack of trust in our midfielders turning and finding a pass. We’ve conceded a lot of goals/chances from interceptions outside our own box. Fred is awful at it. See his attempt at cutting out a pass in that passage of play. Completely failed. Also the header which was missed by a fair bit too and our “press”. How could anybody use this footage and first thing notice that de Gea gave the ball away! I mean, look at our goal. Bissouma handed us the ball on a plate, yet most folk are still rating him as someone who could come in and improve us. We all know kicking/passing from the back ain’t Dave’s strongest point but feck, that save was a minute after he kicked it to the halfway line.
Then we also have to admit that there's a lack of trust in the keeper as far as helping the defence is concerned when it comes to set-pieces. We know there's a midfield issue and most fans recognise that, but we also have to recognise that our keeper is gonna hold us back somewhat in the pursuit of transitioning from a reactive counter attacking team to a proactive attacking team that looks to defend high up the pitch.

If you want United to appoint a modern progressive coach, then one should be open to the idea of replacing de Gea with a more rounded keeper who will get involved in the build up phase as well as help the defense on set plays.

It should be about creating conditions for one of the biggest club's in the world to go ahead and develop a play style, which requires a level of functionality that our present keeper isn't very good at, hence Spain have dropped him.

0le

This should immediately therefore tell you that Rangnick does not see De Gea's weaknesses as a major issue, otherwise he would have started Henderson instead, who is considered the more "rounded" keeper.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This should immediately therefore tell you that Rangnick does not see De Gea's weaknesses as a major issue, otherwise he would have started Henderson instead, who is considered the more "rounded" keeper.
It doesn't say anything because Rangnick has come in mid-season as interim amidst much chaos including the covid issues. There's also far bigger issues to address when it comes to the out field players, where attempting to instil a proactive aggressive approach, as well as attempting to instil a coordinated approach to applying a sequenced press, is proving to be challenging. Which is understandable considering the circumstances and no preseason for Rangnick to prepare.

Henderson i'd play over de Gea because he at least looks to command his area, but even Henderson hasn't been convincing. And I think there's better keepers than both that could be bought.

Leeds United 2:4 Man Utd

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I look forward to the day he retires.

The guy doesn't have any ability to come off his line during a cross and even just kick the ball out.

I find him a bit of a curse that can't be seen at United.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If you don't play in goal you won't see the problem with Leeds first goal. Basically, the wider the ball is, the closer the keeper should be to the far post. As a keeper you can always come forward and a left footer will not score near post from that spot. He will be shown the video and learn from it but even though it was a cross, better positioning prevents that goal...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I wouldn't put him at fault for either goal really.

Want to see some keeper errors, look at his opposite number

Kag

He makes his mistakes when we’re doing (relatively) well, whether that be a match or during a sequence of good form. It’s been the case for a long time and it has to be mentality.

It’s all well and good making saves when we’re sitting in seventh, but it isn’t good enough, really.

Still a huge issue in this team and, as I’ve said before, one which will become more clear if and when we improve as a team.

arnie_ni

He did have a chance but with the weather it's not something to really criticise him for.
I'd think anyone would be harsh to criticise him there as you say.

Just hope it doesn't mess with his confidence because he does seem fragile and his head could drop.

edcunited1878

He's not at fault for either goals ffs.

First goal was a complete fluke and over hit at a height he was never getting to and still fading towards the end line. Second goal isn't on him either, it was a similar ball across the face of goal that Rashford scored against West Ham.

flappyjay

He makes his mistakes when we’re doing (relatively) well, whether that be a match or during a sequence of good form. It’s been the case for a long time and it has to be mentality.

It’s all well and good making saves when we’re sitting in seventh, but it isn’t good enough, really.

Still a huge issue in this team and, as I’ve said before, one which will become more clear if and when we improve as a team.
Which mistake are you on about then?

arnie_ni

He's not at fault for either goals ffs.

First goal was a complete fluke and over hit at a height he was never getting to and still fading towards the end line. Second goal isn't on him either, it was a similar ball across the face of goal that Rashford scored against West Ham.
A similar ball sterling has made a living off.

A good ball across the 6 yard box in between the defenders and keeper is very very hard to defend.

Again, the bad outweighs the good. The wonder saves look great for the cameras but he invites pressure on our defence with his positioning. Forget the fluke cross, he should be claiming that ball for the second.

CloneMC16

I don't see how he's at fault for either goal. The first goal is a complete fluke and snuck in. I doubt many keepers are ever saving that. If someone was, it's De Gea. The 2nd goal was a fantastic ball across the box. I get mad at him for not coming out to collect crosses, but he's never getting that. If he can be criticised in this game, it's for kicking the ball straight to the opposition more times than not.

edcunited1878

A similar ball sterling has made a living off.

A good ball across the 6 yard box in between the defenders and keeper is very very hard to defend.
Totally. There's always a feeling of being too close or too far away from your near post, but still central to cover the far side once it is passed across. It's up to your defenders to help out and cover the spaces. Shaw wasn't goal side and was caught out.

arnie_ni

I don't see how he's at fault for either goal. The first goal is a complete fluke and snuck in. I doubt many keepers I ever saving that. If someone was, it's De Gea. The 2nd goal was a fantastic ball across the box. I get mad at him for not coming out to collect crosses, but he's never getting that. If he can be criticised in this game, it's for kicking the ball straight to the opposition more times than not.
Aye if anything, most other keepers are further out and get nowhere near it. The fact he was as deep as he was and still didn't make it.

I actually thought he stepped out for the cross but he was his usual deep self on the replay.

Shimo

I don't see how he's at fault for either goal. The first goal is a complete fluke and snuck in. I doubt many keepers I ever saving that. If someone was, it's De Gea. The 2nd goal was a fantastic ball across the box. I get mad at him for not coming out to collect crosses, but he's never getting that. If he can be criticised in this game, it's for kicking the ball straight to the opposition more times than not.
People have to find fault in something or the other, otherwise how will it serve the narrative that he doesn't come off his line enough so not good enough for us. He was absolutely solid today - look on the other side when their keeper spilled a relatively shot under the conditions. Commentators said it very early in the game, probably be up there for our player of the season

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Didn't do much wrong for either goal. His poor distribution was again an issue though.

Red_toad

Poor on both goals for me. Wish he was more willing to collect crosses, but just seems to end up in the wrong position or sit on his line and expect the defenders to deal with all of them.

IWat

Allowing the lad at Leeds to beat him from a cross. That mistake.
He gets criticised for not coming out for crosses.... He stands off his line to potentially be able to get out to a cross and he gets criticised when someone completely miskicks and puts it in the only slither of the goal he'd be beatable.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Seems like people wait for him to show slight weakness to pounce on him. No GK in the world was saving that shot. De Gea was at full stretch and it still beat him.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It looked gettable with better positioning to me. Clearly there’s a bit of a split on this, mind. Would need to take another look, but it didn’t look great in real time.
Yeah I just saw the replay, the flag is at a 45 degree angle :lol:

The ball got hung up in the gusting wind and won a magical trajectory. Hard for the keeper to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.