Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

We need an rvn

Joke that we're extending and an even bigger joke if it's anywhere near close to what he's currently earning. Becker is on £150k at Liverpool and DDG on £375k.

I truly was hoping things would be different under Judge and hoping this isn't true

choccy77

What's frustrating is, he has plenty of time on his contract, Hag also prefers a goalkeeper in the modern era who can use his feet and play, he can't do that.

I don't get why they want to keep paying these guys for longer, when it's clearly the wrong way forward long term

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
That is because he offers nothing at all in terms of shot prevention. Every involvement De Gea has in any given game is to save a shot which is ridiculous.

The vast majority of goalkeepers come and deal with balls in behind the defenders, both balls dropping into the penalty area and balls outside of the penalty area. The median goalkeepers in the Premier League (Jordan Pickford and Fraser Forster) are three times more likely to deal with a ball outside the penalty area than De Gea (0.74 times per 90 minutes against De Gea's 0.24), the most proactive (Alisson and Nick Pope jointly, 1.75 times per 90 minutes) seven times more likely.

They come and deal with crosses into the box. The median goalkeeper in the Premier League (Edouard Mendy) deals with 7.8% of crosses into the box. De Gea last season dealt with 3.3% (the worst in the league). The most striking statistic here is that with the exception of Hugo Lloris and Tim Krul, every other goalkeeper was at 6% or above. So almost every goalkeeper in the league as almost twice as likely to deal with a cross. Robert Sanchez was the best in the league at 11.7%.

Again, the vast majority of Premier League goalkeepers make themselves available in possession for defenders in trouble. De Gea doesn't do that. Of the 14 goalkeepers who made more than 30 appearances in the league last season, De Gea was bottom place for non-goal-kick passes attempted. There average number of in-play passes from those 14 was 893, De Gea made 614. He was even below three goalkeeper who made less than 30 appearances. Again, this is a metric Robert Sanchez was the best in the league at, with 1269 passes attempted, over double De Gea's number - and before the "oh but it's Brighton they're bound to spend a lot of time in their own half" comments, Alisson was second with 1189.

So basically he offers zero assistance to his defenders whatsoever. It's not even like he combats his deficiencies by being an excellent communicator on the pitch and helping his defenders that way, he's almost silent. One of the quietest goalkeepers you will ever see. It's genuinely astonishing that he's the highest paid goalkeeper in the world and the above are the reasons no other big club would touch him with a bargepole.
Great post

Mmm-Qatarian

The "we'd be relegated without De Gea" arguments only make even a tiny bit of sense if you assume that the alternative is playing with nobody in goal. The only prolonged period of time we've had without De Gea in recent years (second half of the 2020/21 season) has actually miraculously coincided with our defence performing at the highest level I've seen it in years.

In the short-term we pretty much have to put up with De Gea's weaknesses at, well, essentially everything you want your keeper to do bar shot-stopping. There are bigger priorities this summer. With that said, giving him a contract extension would be completely stupid. All we have seen from him this season is a spike in shot-stopping performance; everything else has remained below par. Prior to that his shot-stopping numbers weren't even all that impressive, meaning we were essentially paying world-record wages to a goalkeeper who excelled at nothing and was pretty crap at quite a few things.

Caesar2290

This is the Rooney situation all over again. A World Class player that is past it and living on his reputation gets rewarded with an astronomical contract.

The last contract was a mistake, this one is just pure incompetence from our board.

Even his shot stopping stats aren't that good anymore. Just look at the drop off in form he had in the second half of the season. It's bad when your proponenets say that his shot stopping is his only redeaming feature. It's worse when even that is falling apart.

Longshanks

At this point I think most people here understand De Gea's weaknesses and why he ultimately needs to be upgraded. But the issue of priorities can't really be avoided. We only have the capacity to make so many transfers in a given summer and there are a lot of changes to make.

It's easy to point to Pep replacing Hart immediately but Pep had inherited a squad that already contained the likes of KDB, Sterling, Fernandinho, Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Zabaleta, Clichy, Yaya Toure, etc. If he had inherited our squad instead then (once he stopped crying) he may well have prioritised the outfield shitshow as well. As for Henderson, he obviously hasn't convinced those at the club in his time here and has been at the centre of a lot of the rumours regarding leaks eminating from the dressing room as well, so my desire to see him play is limited.

It is what it is. We likely have to put up with De Gea for another season, because there were always going to be some elements of the team that were still broken next year. Too much to fix in one season.
The thing is about those priorities is the replacing the GK solves and awful lot of those priorities having a proactive ball playing sweeper keeper in nets rather than De gea would probably have the biggest impact on the team overall than replacing any other one player.

It would improve our:
Ball retention
Ability to play high defensive line and high press
General defending
Defending set pieces
Defensive organaisation
Counter attacking and fast back to front transitions
Ability to play out from the back and beat the opposition press.

If you can name me one other player we could replace (quite easily aswell) that would make such a marked difference feel free to tell me.

Jurgen Plopp

Hi, i just thought i would add a couple of other facts not yet mentioned i think.
Premier League official Stats:
David Degea - Saves made 127 but 57 goal conceeded - Thats a goal every 3.23 shots
Jose Sa - saves made 121 but only 40 goals conceeded which is 7 less saves but 17 less goals conceeded and seems be on under 30K per week. This is a goal every 4.03 shots, and seems to suggest David Degeas saves are not on another level.

Henderson, 22/23 years old at the time conceeded 33 goals in 36 league appearances during a loan season at Sheffield united who finished 8th. He only needed to make 97 saves and is a goal only every 3.94 - again like Jose Sa this year, a goal every 4 shots.

The only like for like comparison we really have for Henderson and Degea is last year where Degea conceeded 32 goals in 26 games making 60 saves - again a goal every 2.86 shots.
Henderson Conceeded 12 goals in 13 games and made 40 saves. This is a goal every 4.33 shots.

These stats are Degeas best stats - "making saves" and he fails on every comparison to a young Henderson whilst David's in his prime.

Finally it was nice to see a failed Man United defender in a 10 year long line of failed defenders with Degea, win a trophy with a decent keeper. Well done Chris Smalling who was also in Uniteds Europa winning team, our last trophy 5 years ago. Oh, and our goalkeeper was.... Romero.

caid

The thing is about those priorities is the replacing the GK solves and awful lot of those priorities having a proactive ball playing sweeper keeper in nets rather than De gea would probably have the biggest impact on the team overall than replacing any other one player.

It would improve our:
Ball retention
Ability to play high defensive line and high press
General defending
Defending set pieces
Defensive organaisation
Counter attacking and fast back to front transitions
Ability to play out from the back and beat the opposition press.

If you can name me one other player we could replace (quite easily aswell) that would make such a marked difference feel free to tell me.
I think its being overlooked for one more year because relatively he had a good season in terms of form and professionalism. But its a kind of an isolated position. Its hard to have a good season at rb for instance if everyone else in midfield and defence is having a total nightmare. Its harder to rise above and seperate yourself from your teammates form.
Personally i think i could tolerate him for another year more than a lot of other players. Its not so much who i think is good enough to stay so much as who's least shit

Red_toad

Joke that we're extending and an even bigger joke if it's anywhere near close to what he's currently earning. Becker is on £150k at Liverpool and DDG on £375k.

I truly was hoping things would be different under Judge and hoping this isn't true
By the looks of it, he’s talking a pay cut for a longer contract, 250k a week is the rumoured 5 year agreement.

ReallyUSA

Why do they do this? Let him play out his contract. Give him the band. Then let's go from there.

Mmm-Qatarian

Player of the season award is what it is. Ronaldo definitely should have won it but besides that there's feck all competition.

With that said, I'm of the opinion that De Gea's "outstanding season" is really a bit of a myth. He has essentially had about five months of genuinely outstanding shot-stopping performance (the first half of this season), followed by another five where he was statistically in the bottom three keepers in the league. On top of this, he has been average-to-poor at everything else a goalkeeper is expected to be good at (sweeping, distribution, cross-stopping etc.).

Putting all of this together, I don't see anything that is particularly exceptional about De Gea's performance this season, and especially given that he is the highest earning goalkeeper in world football. I understand that there are bigger issues to solve this summer, so for now he's going to stay as the number one goalkeeper. But given that this fanbase has been complaining about "standards" for so long, I think it's high time we start setting them a bit higher for a guy earning 375 grand a week to play here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is the Rooney situation all over again. A World Class player that is past it and living on his reputation gets rewarded with an astronomical contract.

The last contract was a mistake, this one is just pure incompetence from our board.

Even his shot stopping stats aren't that good anymore. Just look at the drop off in form he had in the second half of the season. It's bad when your proponenets say that his shot stopping is his only redeaming feature. It's worse when even that is falling apart.

:lol: :lol: @ Ramsdale. No wonder he celebrated the shit out of Bruno’s penalty miss.

Based Adnan

If you want to play a modern style of football you can't have a keeper as limited as De Gea

Kag

Enrique spelling out what most of us already know. I expect Ten Hag will make do with De Gea for a year, primarily because he already needs about six or seven players across the rest of the team, but then we’ll see him send De Gea the same way Guardiola sent Joe Hart.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Enrique spelling out what most of us already know. I expect Ten Hag will make do with De Gea for a year, primarily because he already needs about six or seven players across the rest of the team, but then we’ll see him send De Gea the same way Guardiola sent Joe Hart.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

We should just let DDG's contract run out unless he accepts drastically reduced wages on a short term deal (which he won't). You will never find a buyer for him on his current wages. I fear the club might not see it this way and I really hope ETH can veto such an extension.

CloneMC16

We should just let DDG's contract run out unless he accepts drastically reduced wages on a short term deal (which he won't). You will never find a buyer for him on his current wages. I fear the club might not see it this way and I really hope ETH can veto such an extension.
Our only hope with Woodward gone is the club stop trying to 'retain value' by giving new contracts to players that should be being asked to leave. If they have to go on a free, so be it.

CM

Yeah, an extension for De Gea would be a bit of a nightmare scenario. I'd like to think we've learned from previous mistakes but it wasn't so long ago Fernandes got his new contract for no apparent reason.

Seij

Player of the season award is what it is. Ronaldo definitely should have won it but besides that there's feck all competition.

With that said, I'm of the opinion that De Gea's "outstanding season" is really a bit of a myth. He has essentially had about five months of genuinely outstanding shot-stopping performance (the first half of this season), followed by another five where he was statistically in the bottom three keepers in the league. On top of this, he has been average-to-poor at everything else a goalkeeper is expected to be good at (sweeping, distribution, cross-stopping etc.).

Putting all of this together, I don't see anything that is particularly exceptional about De Gea's performance this season, and especially given that he is the highest earning goalkeeper in world football. I understand that there are bigger issues to solve this summer, so for now he's going to stay as the number one goalkeeper. But given that this fanbase has been complaining about "standards" for so long, I think it's high time we start setting them a bit higher for a guy earning 375 grand a week to play here.
Absolutely. 100% agree. Our group of defenders (aside from AWB) are actually not terrible with the ball at their feet. I suspect ddg being glued to his lines and unable to be involved in buildup makes the defenders look worse than they are.

Kag

A new deal for De Gea would be a terrible mistake that we’d regret almost immediately. I don’t think we’ll do it.

::sonny::

For that I think Henderson is still a better option than de Gea, he is a one dimensional gk, reflexes, stop.

Blood Mage

I don't think anyone doubts that De Gea will need to be replaced soon, it's just that we have other priorities for now. When you're stuck with stingy owners who only like to sign three players per year you can't sort all of your problems out in one summer.

Jurgen Plopp

The old Boris Johnson defence - I do have multiple flaws but the country has bigger problems to sort out.

I think we should keep De gea just for the bravery and heroics. I remember he was so angry after that 2nd City goal he let in, he waited 5 minutes to run the full length of the pitch to punch the formidable tarpaulin tunnel. My brave hero. To be fair, i don't think he had a grape to crush at the time.

Zetrio2002

De gea will be on reduced contract. Keeper gets better with time. Quick sign him up for a new contract!

Oranges038

Zetrio2002

Wow amazing De Gea is the top 6 keeper this season. Imagine if he become proactive under ETH, then he become number one again!

JB7

We rated the 5 best goalkeepers in the league and number 6 will surpise you.....

At this stage every one should know he's one of the worst at everything in the league aside from relfex saves. People just refuse to acknowledge that purely making saves isn't ever going to make up for everything that he doesn't do.
He's not even the 6th best in the league in reality, he's just incredibly fortunate they only looked at the goalkeepers at the top 6 clubs.

Newtonius

Is he really going to get a new contract? Would be typical peak Woodward no way is this ETH's choice, who is going to be buying a 32 year old DDG whats the rush, within the next 6 months will either see if it is going to work out or choose to release him and save near 400 grand a week.

Last edited:

Revaulx

https://theathletic.com/3364274/2022/06/17/de-gea-ten-hag-manchester-united/?source=twitteruk

Mentions how De Gea has been 'disheartened' by some of the previous goalkeeper coaches in the past at United and that they haven't helped in expanding his game.
Well Franz Hoek quite obviously expanded his game, to the extent that United considered keeping him when LvG and the rest of his staff were sacked. Dave wasn’t having it though, and insisted on bringing in his old Atlético mate. That was the start of his decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.