Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The Athletic piece tells us the reason: we have limited scope to make other purchases and other areas are bigger priorities.

De Gea is certainly a poor fit for ETH's style of football, you'd need to be actively braindead to argue otherwise. That's why ETH has had to be pragmatic and adjust his instructions. And those adjustments by definition limit the team.

But that doesn't mean weaknesses at CF, CM , RB, etc. don't hurt the team as much or more. Or that there aren't squad composition signings that will take resources too (we already need to sign a backup GK even if De Gea stays for example, and two of our four CBs have been linked to potential exits which would require a signing there).

Even if we have an excellent summer, we're still inevitably going to be left with weaknesses in the team next season. The only debate is which weaknesses to carry.
I just love how people talk as if they have had fireside chats with United personnel. You have absolutely zero knowledge of that. :lol:

RedDevil@84

De Gea is certainly a poor fit for ETH's style of football, you'd need to be actively braindead to argue otherwise. That's why ETH has had to be pragmatic and adjust his instructions. And those adjustments by definition limit the team.
Is Henderson their source?

Andersonson

You have to question the ambitions of the football club if he's staying on as the starting goalkeeper. He was fortunate to get the last contract in 2019, never mind another one in 2023.
Question the manager if thats your view. If ETH didnt want him, he wouldnt get a new contract. We could easily buy a new one with his wages gone and sell Henderson. Money isnt the reason why he gets a new contract.

CM

Question the manager if thats your view. If ETH didnt want him, he wouldnt get a new contract. We could easily buy a new one with his wages gone and sell Henderson. Money isnt the reason why he gets a new contract.
Whatever way you want to pose it. Club, manager, whoever. De Gea shouldn't be starting for us next season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I just love how people talk as if they have had fireside chats with United personnel. You have absolutely zero knowledge of that. :lol:
Is Henderson their source?
Eh? If you have even basic understanding of football and ETH's previous teams that's an extremely self-evident statement. You would need to be flat out stupid to think De Gea is ETH's ideal profile of goalkeeper.

And even if you were that dense, the article we're referring to directly states that ETH had to adjust to De Gea. Along with god knows how many other articles since the season started.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The "profile" thing is overblown. Sir Alex never had player like CRonaldo. So does it mean he's not his "profile" player? So did Carrick replacing Keane. But he made them both work and some.

KdB and Gundogan are different than Iniesta and Xavi. Are the former not Pep's "profile" of players? Messi replaced Eto'o under Pep. A totally different type of striker. And now he has Haaland. All works.

Is a DM with below 80% completion rate, EtH's profile? or did he has before a LW/LF who's awful in passing but great goalscorer?

Real Name

A new keeper is just as important as those areas, we can't control a game if every pass from De Gea goes straight to the opposition. Teams are now pressing him and he ends up giving to ball straight to them in dangerous areas.
Sure thing but we cant buy all the players we need all at once.

edgecutter

It's a shame that the sale of the club is still ongoing because it will mean bowing to the contract demands to a keeper that really should be replaced. His stats this year are not good and because we need money for a striker he will avoid the cull.

georgipep

I will never stop being amazed by
Well weighted thoughts. And a very different read than people who write that Ten Hag cannot play a high line or win anything etc with De Gea in the team.

No, not crazy, but maybe a little labored? We’ll see, if there is no new contract offer, we’ll probably find out.
I doubt there won't be a contract offer. And I doubt De Gea won't take it. But I also think we will get a new keeper to compete with him.

ForeverRed1

He’s a brilliant keeper and continues to save us at times. He CAN also still improve. I’m sure he is working hard to get better with distribution for example, you have already seen this season he is trying (albeit sometimes very sketchy) the effort to improve is there. As a keeper he still has time to get better.

I do think we need a new keeper but I don’t think it’s as important as putting our money into a world class striker and a world class midfielder to partner Casemiro. That has to be this summer and probably going to cost around 200mil to do so.

Really looking forward to our keeper not catching a cross for the whole of next season while awkwardly sticking to his line when a ball drops behind his defence.

Grande

I will never stop being amazed by
I doubt there won't be a contract offer. And I doubt De Gea won't take it. But I also think we will get a new keeper to compete with him.
Amazed by what?

It will be interesting to follow. I’ve already been surprised to what degree Ten Hag have prioritized De Gea, and how De Gea have adapted as well. No ‘operation sweet talk Henderson’, Heaton, Dubravka and Butland with only few minutes even in the cups, lauding De Gea publically several times, now talk of a new contract. Last spring/summer, from many it sounded like a dead giveaway that replacing De Gea was among the first things Ten Hag would do to start shaping the squad his way. It seems almost the opposite has happened. I certainly didn’t predict that.

evil_geko

Good to see new contract preparing for our great Dave, sorry haters, fortunately ETH knows what he is doing.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Eh? If you have even basic understanding of football and ETH's previous teams that's an extremely self-evident statement. You would need to be flat out stupid to think De Gea is ETH's ideal profile of goalkeeper.

And even if you were that dense, the article we're referring to directly states that ETH had to adjust to De Gea. Along with god knows how many other articles since the season started.
With the shit you were spouting, I just assumed that you'd had a direct convo with ten Hag. So you've got nothing directly from the man himself? Great.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
A new contract for him is a step backwards and a signal of where our finances are at for the summer.
That's it. Not much in those news really. We can't fix all pain points at one time.

I mean we are in the top four, so he actually is...
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Wout Weghorst. Is he a top 4 striker? We're in top four so..

Pickle85

That's it. Not much in those news really. We can't fix all pain points at one time.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Wout Weghorst. Is he a top 4 striker? We're in top four so..
Isn't he on loan?

Pickle85

He's literally started all 19 games since joining the club so it's irrelevant really.
No it's not. The reason we loaned him was because martial has proved utterly incapable of staying fit. There's a reason we haven't bought him. Which is because he's not united quality.

Longshanks

No it's not. The reason we loaned him was because martial has proved utterly incapable of staying fit. There's a reason we haven't bought him. Which is because he's not united quality.
So your saying we have managed to get into the top 4 without ever having a top 4 CF in the side. Do you not think that same theory could work with other positions aswell e.g. the GK.

JB7

So you think an unfit Martial is a top 4 level striker then? Because surely we must have a top 4 level striker to be in the top 4 following your current logic?

Pickle85

So your saying we have managed to get into the top 4 without ever having a top 4 CF in the side. Do you not think that same theory could work with other positions aswell e.g. the GK.
We've been more reliant on a top class GK than a consistently free scoring #9 for years now, in fairness.

I take the point, but using a player that's not even a permanent squad member is a poor example. Plus I'd argue that a CF having a poor game can get bailed out by the players around him much more easily than a GK having a poor game.

Status
Not open for further replies.