Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

If you have to use sarcasm then you're streets behind.
It wasn't even sarcasm. I think it was quite in the open. Streets ahead dictates that there is a gulf between them. At the very best of times, they are evenly matched, and I think a poll would see that some would prefer Varane and some Shaw. I think Varane is the better and more important player, although I think Shaw has been great as well.

Rossa

That's around pretty much every save.

Fairly quiet in here for a couple of weeks then he makes a save and all of a sudden there's player of the season talk.
Well that's not quite true. Whenever he does make a save, and he's made some rather brilliant ones lately, they tend to be downplayed because of his lack of distribution or his inability to get off his line to claim crosses. We watch games with a perspective that gives the impression there is far more time to intercept than reality would have it. Is he poor at claiming crosses, absolutely. Is he crap at it, yes. It doesn't take away the fact that he makes great saves, even when some goalies would claim a cross that would prevent the shot from ever happening. However, his passive style also prevents him from over-comitting. There are so many goalies that end up in nowhere land trying to claim crosses when there is a duel between their defenders and the attackers. That almost always lead to goals.

Areola should have saved all three goals against us. One of them he tried to claim a cross, didn't reach it and a goal conceded. Poor goalkeeping. DDG would have saved it with ease, but some would argue he should have claimed the cross. Then he made another mistake, and there was a shot from Garnacho that DDG would have saved 9/10. We would be fuming if he had conceded any of those three. It's not a big deal when it's not DDG...

NLunited

Misplaced a kick or two today as well so we have to look past the fact he's the main reason we go through.
He was very solid today and showed there is only 2/3 goalies that could replace him. Those aren‘t available.

NLunited

Obviously, and bad passes will come sooner rather than later because he is just not good with his feet, he will not get better at his age. I guess we have to ditch the build with the keeper strategy because it's too risky. It happened during Ole it's happening now. We either buy a new keeper who can pass the ball or play a different way from the back not involving the GK.
It worked yesterday didn’t it? Even Alisson and Ter Stegen have their moments: it‘s not a reason to ‚ditch‘ the strategy.

He‘s our goalkeeper, period.

I would look for a young number two with the right profile to develop into our future no 1. He can compete with Dave once good enough.

Sylar

He had a good game. His Willian save was really good. The MItrovic header was a good save too but I also would have been disappointed if the keeper lets that in. His best games are when there is chaos. Defo was more a Leicester game than the norm imo. But happy for him to reach another semi final (hopefully another final too)

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It worked yesterday didn’t it? Even Alisson and Ter Stegen have their moments: it‘s not a reason to ‚ditch‘ the strategy.

He‘s our goalkeeper, period.

I would look for a young number two with the right profile to develop into our future no 1. He can compete with Dave once good enough.
Alisson has his bad moments, Ter Stegen not that often.
He is our goalkeeper, I always liked De Gea but if we are to persist with involving him in the build up, he is clearly going to misplace a lot of passes. I haven't seen any improvement from him in that regard.

Our young number 2 who can develop into a 1 was Henderson and that didn't worked out that well.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Not really. I basically mean “not great” literally. As in he didn’t play any impressive or memorable passes. So nothing sticks in the memory, good or bad. No accurate passes to feet between the lines, or long range pings to wide players. Although, to be fair, it’s hard to pass between the lines to a player who hides as effectively as McT.

Anyway, his distribution was all very low risk and unimpressive. Hence “not great”. No really poor passes though. Which is an improvement on some recent performances. So there’s that.
Given the way the team was playing very low risk is exactly what we needed

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It wasn't even sarcasm. I think it was quite in the open. Streets ahead dictates that there is a gulf between them. At the very best of times, they are evenly matched, and I think a poll would see that some would prefer Varane and some Shaw. I think Varane is the better and more important player, although I think Shaw has been great as well.
I was just making a Community reference.

RedDevil@84

That's around pretty much every save.

Fairly quiet in here for a couple of weeks then he makes a save and all of a sudden there's player of the season talk.
Absolute lies. The saves he makes are constantly ridiculed by some agenda posters here. Anything he saves is brushed under the "anyone can do that" carpet.

RVN1991

He made the save from Mitrovic header look much better than it really was.
Another day, another match winning performance, another redcafe poster claiming one of his saves "wasn't that great" while sitting in his mums couch, the circle of life.

darko

Alisson has his bad moments, Ter Stegen not that often.
He is our goalkeeper, I always liked De Gea but if we are to persist with involving him in the build up, he is clearly going to misplace a lot of passes. I haven't seen any improvement from him in that regard.

Our young number 2 who can develop into a 1 was Henderson and that didn't worked out that well.
Once he passes to a defender and they pass it back and then he pass it back, what's with the build up. It's not like he's expected to set an attacker on a breakaway. I think a goalkeeper ability to sweep behind the backlkne is far more important.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Once he passes to a defender and they pass it back and then he pass it back, what's with the build up. It's not like he's expected to set an attacker on a breakaway. I think a goalkeeper ability to sweep behind the backlkne is far more important.
It's not just that with the build up, any decent opponent knows that one of our weaknesses is still building from the back, so they press us with 3-4 players, sometimes De Gea needs to make a longer pass in order to bypass the press and set us up for an attack. Usually there he messes up, he can't do a 20-30m precise long pass.

quadrant

He was very solid today and showed there is only 2/3 goalies that could replace him. Those aren‘t available.
If all his performances were like that, you'd be right, but they aren't. His previous 2 games against Southampton and Betis (a) were solid if unremarkable. His 2 performances before that against Betis (h) and Liverpool were awful. That is not the performance pattern of an irreplaceable player.

NLunited

If all his performances were like that, you'd be right, but they aren't. His previous 2 games against Southampton and Betis (a) were solid if unremarkable. His 2 performances before that against Betis (h) and Liverpool were awful. That is not the performance pattern of an irreplaceable player.
Ter Stegen and Alisson have bad games. Your argument makes no sense.

quadrant

Ter Stegen and Alisson have bad games. Your argument makes no sense.
Sure do, but they have fewer bad games and more good games. This is what differentiates the best from the rest - consistency, not the odd outstanding performance here and there.

Oranges038

Absolute lies. The saves he makes are constantly ridiculed by some agenda posters here. Anything he saves is brushed under the "anyone can do that" carpet.
There's the word again. Agenda...

If you say only he can make these saves, then that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

If others look at a save and say the opposite.

How exactly is that having an agenda?

It just seems that most people who bleat this shit only seem to really watch Utd and have no idea how other keepers perform.

Some of the saves of the season so far. How many of these can only DDG make?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you believe De Gea is one of the best shot-stoppers around, it shouldn't be because you believe he makes saves others can't make. Because that's clearly stupid. Other goalkeepers also have the capacity to make remarkable saves.

It should be because you believe he makes saves other goalkeepers rarely make, less rarely.

Though even then, that only makes him one of the best shot-stoppers if we assume it isn't offset by him also making shot-stopping errors other rarely make, less rarely.

Longshanks

How many do you think make the Willian shot? Not many! I agree that a fair few would make the Mitrovic header. DDG is great at placing himself for those though, so we are a bit spoilt when it comes to saving those. His movement and placement on the line is simply world class in those situations, so yes he makes it look easy, but it's his placement on the line that arguably makes it so. I would still wager the top goalies in the league saves it 8/10 times. The Willian shot, however, I don't think there are many that are able to reach. Pope would probably save it, and arguably (but only arguably because he has often been slow to get down and out) Allisson.
Baznu made a very very similar save just last week against us, full stretch finger tip to a shot that looked it be heading into the corner.

Again it's an excellent save but your kidding yourself if you think only De Gea makes these saves.

Oranges038

Baznu made a very very similar save just last week against us, full stretch finger tip to a shot that looked it be heading into the corner.

Again it's an excellent save but your kidding yourself if you think only De Gea makes these saves.
Sanchez made a similar one a few weeks ago from Iwobi too.

I'm convinced people who say other keepers won't make those saves, don't ever really watch other teams and see some of the saves their keepers make.

Sylar

If you believe De Gea is one of the best shot-stoppers around, it shouldn't be because you believe he makes saves others can't make. Because that's clearly stupid. Other goalkeepers also have the capacity to make remarkable saves.

It should be because you believe he makes saves other goalkeepers rarely make, less rarely.

Though even then, that only makes him one of the best shot-stoppers if we assume it isn't offset by him also making shot-stopping errors other rarely make, less rarely.
This is a fair and good post.

I do think people will be surprised if they actually watched other goalkeepers more often than not and see that some of the 'poorer' goalkeepers can pull of some stunning saves every now and then.
I think thats the stage DDG is at, where he doesnt do it game to game, but its here and there instead.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Well that's not quite true. Whenever he does make a save, and he's made some rather brilliant ones lately, they tend to be downplayed because of his lack of distribution or his inability to get off his line to claim crosses. We watch games with a perspective that gives the impression there is far more time to intercept than reality would have it. Is he poor at claiming crosses, absolutely. Is he crap at it, yes. It doesn't take away the fact that he makes great saves, even when some goalies would claim a cross that would prevent the shot from ever happening. However, his passive style also prevents him from over-comitting. There are so many goalies that end up in nowhere land trying to claim crosses when there is a duel between their defenders and the attackers. That almost always lead to goals.

Areola should have saved all three goals against us. One of them he tried to claim a cross, didn't reach it and a goal conceded. Poor goalkeeping. DDG would have saved it with ease, but some would argue he should have claimed the cross. Then he made another mistake, and there was a shot from Garnacho that DDG would have saved 9/10. We would be fuming if he had conceded any of those three. It's not a big deal when it's not DDG...
If a keeper is in "No mans land" then he came for a cross that he never should have come for. I don't expect to see De Gea coming out to claim crosses from deep that are coming down around the penalty area. Sure, some keepers will come for those, but from that distance, the chances of a player scoring a header are quite low. It's the ones in the 6 that I'm concerned about. Even the best central defenders only win around 60-70% of their aerial duels, so for every 10 balls in the box, there could be 3-4 headers on goal. If those go in, most will point the blame at the defender who didn't win the header. Truth is, in many of those cases, the keeper could have, and should have, prevented the scoring chance from every happening...

Rossa

Of course other goalies would, but far from everyone and not as regularly. Ederson, Pickford and Ramsdale all would struggle to reach it.

When was a single goalie ever able to pull off one save?

Rossa

Why, do you watch every game every goalkeeper plays?
Is that how it works? Sadly, entering the middle ages I’ve seen a fair bit of foltball, and having been a goalie I’ve also tried it. From watching a few hundred matches, if not more, I think I have an inkling as to what is expected. That Willian shot is very difficult, but DDG has made it ordinary. He is quick, has great reach and placement on the line. The same with all those close range headers he is able to save. It’s very difficult moving your hands up that quickly, but he’s great at anticipating.

Doesn’t take away the fact that he has his deficiencies, like commanding his area. Schmeichel made catching crosses look like the easiest thing in the world for instance. Even bringing one down with one hand, just for fun, and to piss off the opposition.

Matt851

According to the athletic he has turned down our first contract offer. I think it's a big mistake to be considering extending his contract given the number of areas in which he is sub standard, even his shot stopping has dropped off and now isn't anything better than average by pl standards

nainaisson

According to the athletic he has turned down our first contract offer. I think it's a big mistake to be considering extending his contract given the number of areas in which he is sub standard, even his shot stopping has dropped off and now isn't anything better than average by pl standards
Yeah, but FFP and we need to spend a gazillion on a striker.

Matt851

Yeah, but FFP and we need to spend a gazillion on a striker.
The article shows he ranks amongst the worst keepers in the league for many key statistics. His kicking has regularly put us in trouble in the biggest games. If he renews he will still very likely be one of the best played keepers in the league and its unlikely we would renew him just for one year. Renewing his contract would just be repeating the kind of mistakes we have made in the past

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’m honestly not surprised. I expected this, judging from how ten Hag kept referring to him as one of his “leaders”.

Zetrio2002

Hope De Gea signs a new contract. He should know he's getting old so he should not be asking for too much.

Unless he wants to become a journeyman like Sergio romero and earns probably 25k per week.

Based Adnan

Another couple years of being shite playing out the back and piss poor on balls into the box it is then

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Dave has been a great servant, but if we want to go back to being a successful club, we have to make the hard decisions and refresh the squad for the better. A player past his prime should not be first choice. Its time to bring someone in, though i know its unlikely.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I have been one of his harshest critics on here but I still can’t believe Spain pick Kepa ahead of him. Got to be one of the maddest decisions in football that one.

Oranges038

Should just give him a take or leave it offer.

He really isn't that good to warrant anymore than 100k a week and even that would be very generous.

Personally, I think it's time for the club to cut it's losses on him. Let him go, get someone else in and show the rest of the players they won't be held to ransom no matter how good you think you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.