Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

He made the save from Mitrovic header look much better than it really was.

Nero

The agendas are so bad now you have people downplaying his world class moments.

CloneMC16

One of the only times this season where I actually do think De Gea saved us. We go at least 0-2 down without him and lose comfortably. Unreal saves.

The header from Mitrovic was very impressive. The slowed down replay makes it look easier than it was in real time.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Distribution not great. .
Any specifics?

What kicks did he misplace? From memory, his passing was 100% today. Played that risky 1-2 with Martinez, which is part of what a ball-playing keeper does. Found his targets on the half-line consistently. Miraculously, even threw one out quickly to Antony. Maybe one clearance went to a Fulham centre-back?

I'm genuinely curious what distribution is expected from a keeper, if today was poor.

Tiber

Single Handley kept us in the game long enough for Fulham to implode

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Any specifics?
Not really. I basically mean “not great” literally. As in he didn’t play any impressive or memorable passes. So nothing sticks in the memory, good or bad. No accurate passes to feet between the lines, or long range pings to wide players. Although, to be fair, it’s hard to pass between the lines to a player who hides as effectively as McT.

Anyway, his distribution was all very low risk and unimpressive. Hence “not great”. No really poor passes though. Which is an improvement on some recent performances. So there’s that.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
One of the only times this season where I actually do think De Gea saved us. We go at least 0-2 down without him and lose comfortably. Unreal saves.

The header from Mitrovic was very impressive. The slowed down replay makes it look easier than it was in real time.
He saved us against West Ham and Leicester also.

Malone_Post

Couple of really good saves today. Definitely kept us in the match at 1-0. Deserves credit for those saves.

Kicking and claiming of crosses as usual was hopeless. Not that I expect anything of him in that regard anymore.

Rossa

Some good saves. Standard performance otherwise. Distribution not great. Didn’t collect any crosses.
True, but the save from Willian’s shot is excellent. Many goalies are unable to save it. I would be certain that Ederson lets it past him for instance.

The Mitrovic one is nice, but he should always be able to save it. It was more how effortless it looked.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not really. I basically mean “not great” literally. As in he didn’t play any impressive or memorable passes. So nothing sticks in the memory, good or bad. No accurate passes to feet between the lines, or long range pings to wide players. Although, to be fair, it’s hard to pass between the lines to a player who hides as effectively as McT.

Anyway, his distribution was all very low risk and unimpressive. Hence “not great”. No really poor passes though. Which is an improvement on some recent performances. So there’s that.
I've been paying attention to him, and his distribution in the first half was very good, in particular "long range pings to wide players". I noticed he had a couple of those "accurate passes to feet between the lines" in the last game (either Betis or Southampton, they all blur together), from which very promising attacks/shots developed, and he got zero credit for those too.

lex talionis

For De Deag, these are routine saves. No chance Raya, Ramsdale or whoever is the flavor of the month right now that some of us would shitcan Dave for makes those saves.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I've been paying attention to him, and his distribution in the first half was very good, in particular "long range pings to wide players". I noticed he had a couple of those "accurate passes to feet between the lines" in the last game (either Betis or Southampton, they all blur together), from which very promising attacks/shots developed, and he got zero credit for those too.
Fair enough. I probably wasn’t paying as much attention as you. And did miss a fair bit of the first half, due to domestic distractions!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Ah yes, the fact that he did what he was supposed to do and keep the ball out of the net means shit because the other stats just don't stack up.

Yeah, ignore the muppets David De Goat. Thanks to you, we go again.

Longshanks

Couple of good saves, standard mixed bag distribution. No command, limited sweeping.

Pretty much what you expect from De Gea really.

Wired narrative going around making out that other GK'S wouldn't make the Mitrovic save, I think every other PL keeper makes that save, maybe not as spectacular, maybe not as aesthetically pleasing but I think they all get there. Mitrovic got good direction but not a massive amount of power on it. De Gea had plenty of time to get accross and make the save. It's a good save but you would expect most GK's to get there because it dosent have the power.

Rossa

Couple of good saves, standard mixed bag distribution. No command, limited sweeping.

Wired narrative going around making out that other GK'S wouldn't make the Mitrovic save, I think every other PL keeper makes that save, maybe not as spectacular, maybe not as aesthetically pleasing but I think they all get there. Mitrovic got good direction but not a massive amount of power on it. De Gea had plenty of time to get accross and make the save. It's a good save but you would expect most GK's to get there because it dosent have the power.
How many do you think make the Willian shot? Not many! I agree that a fair few would make the Mitrovic header. DDG is great at placing himself for those though, so we are a bit spoilt when it comes to saving those. His movement and placement on the line is simply world class in those situations, so yes he makes it look easy, but it's his placement on the line that arguably makes it so. I would still wager the top goalies in the league saves it 8/10 times. The Willian shot, however, I don't think there are many that are able to reach. Pope would probably save it, and arguably (but only arguably because he has often been slow to get down and out) Allisson.

Bondi77

No. Casemiro, Martinez, Varane, Rashford are all ahead of him, and I'd argue that Shaw is probably ahead of him as well.
A late run means he is behind and by the way Shaw would be streets ahead .of Varane

Rossa

A late run means he is behind and by the way Shaw would be streets ahead .of Varane
I love those phrases, streets ahead, whereas I would argue that Varane has been better than Shaw, so if anything it is at best arguable. IMHO, Varane has been about as good as Martinez, just doing things more quietly, so for me he's ahead of Shaw, but in no way streets ahead.

I think I would put Casemiro as the most important, albeit with a dip in form lately. Rashford second due to his goals, then Martinez slightly ahead of Varane and then Shaw. It's quite close for me between all of them, and a case could be made for most of them.

Oranges038

That's around pretty much every save.

Fairly quiet in here for a couple of weeks then he makes a save and all of a sudden there's player of the season talk.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is mental at this point. He can literally save our ass but one bad pass is enough to people start trashing him again.
Obviously, and bad passes will come sooner rather than later because he is just not good with his feet, he will not get better at his age. I guess we have to ditch the build with the keeper strategy because it's too risky. It happened during Ole it's happening now. We either buy a new keeper who can pass the ball or play a different way from the back not involving the GK.

Status
Not open for further replies.