Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetrio2002

15th clean sheet of the season, ahead of Pope on 13 and Ramsdale on 12.

Hope he can have a few more clean sheets and claim the golden gloves.
Yes David is simply amazing. Time to give him a new contract on reduced wages of course!

NLunited

I think his wages are far too high, and he is not the only one. The wage structure at our club is broken.

SirMonteyne

Much better game from him. Good saves and good distribution.

Some here want him to be a commander of high balls and crosses in the box but you have to understand that that's physically impossible for someone with his body type.

No matter how much gym he does, his ectomorphic marfanesque body will never be able to generate the strength of an athletic mesomorphic body.
wow, it's a whole new perception for me. Thank you.

BorisManUtd

15th clean sheet of the season, ahead of Pope on 13 and Ramsdale on 12.

Hope he can have a few more clean sheets and claim the golden gloves.
Yeah hopefully. Would be De Gea's 2nd golden glove after the one in 2017/18 (had 18 clean sheets in that season). He's also 7 CS away from getting into 3rd position in numbers of clean sheets ever in Premier League (behind Cech and David James and above Schwarzer) so if he stays, should accomplish it soon. Though not sure if him remaining as our 1st GK would be ideal for the team.

hmchan

Some here want him to be a commander of high balls and crosses in the box but you have to understand that that's physically impossible for someone with his body type.

No matter how much gym he does, his ectomorphic marfanesque body will never be able to generate the strength of an athletic mesomorphic body.
This is a ridiculous excuse. Pope? Meslier?

Oranges038

I don't buy it as an excuse either. Meslier and Jose Sa are a similar build and much better at claiming high balls.

DDG's biggest problem is that he's just a massive coward who's afraid of physical contact. He's got the height and the reach to claim high balls, he just doesn't want to, because he is afraid of getting hurt. That's all there is to it.

Longshanks

Someone has studied Sports science.

The one thing the science can't comprehend is aggression and bravery. It's a mental thing more than anything.

He will never be the most commanding goalkeeper, that's a given. Your right he isn't built for it. But he should still be at least reasonable at it and he isn't. It's not his body type that makes him the least commanding GK in the league it's his lack of Bravery and aggression.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Goes to show that football has moved on from when keepers just needed to be able shot stoppers.

They are now the last line of attack, and as great DDG is, he doesn’t suit the tactical plan we’re trying to execute with ETH. Plus he lacks assertiveness in the air. Every time he has the ball at his feet for a pass I expect it to be given away more often than not.

Andersonson

Goes to show that football has moved on from when keepers just needed to be able shot stoppers.

They are now the last line of attack, and as great DDG is, he doesn’t suit the tactical plan we’re trying to execute with ETH. Plus he lacks assertiveness in the air. Every time he has the ball at his feet for a pass I expect it to be given away more often than not.
Tell that to the manager who gives him a new contract :)

acnumber9

just came across this. Quite funny
I saw that last night too and for me Sabitzer comes out looking worse. He backs away instead of putting himself between the attacker and the ball. That’s God awful defending.

Oranges038

I saw that last night too and for me Sabitzer comes out looking worse. He backs away instead of putting himself between the attacker and the ball. That’s God awful defending.
What? How?

He's backing out, leaving DDG the space to come and claim the fecking ball.

There's no way a keeper should be beaten in the air for that ball.

Sylar

Was a foul even given? Given how refs are and how we've seen ddg and lindelof fouled previously and nothing given (and some weird ass offside given against casemiro) I'm not even sure

I think it's worrying that with his arm advantage he can't beat somebody in the air who's trying to header it. But it's also expected now (remember in his first season Rafael or Fabio was telling him to jump and use his hands ...)

Anyway, hopefully he and the team continues getting clean sheets. Ideally the one place I want to see him get one is the fa cup final

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He will never be the most commanding goalkeeper, that's a given. Your right he isn't built for it. But he should still be at least reasonable at it and he isn't. It's not his body type that makes him the least commanding GK in the league it's his lack of Bravery and aggression.
Yep. With his slim body he'll obviously never be a Schmeichel or Neuer who can utterly bully opposition players and scare the hell out of them, but that doesn't mean he has to be as weak and meek as he is when it comes to any kind of physical contact.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What? How?

It's a bit of both. Sabitzer should have done better to position himself to run interference, but De Gea should have got up a hell of a lot higher to claim the ball properly. His left foot is barely off the ground at the time he's trying to catch the ball so it's hardly surprising that his hands are only at the same level as the Villa player's head.

acnumber9

What? How?

He leaves a Villa player a clean run at the ball. Any competent defender gets between the opponent and the ball. He actually moves out of the Villa players way. And De Gea wasn’t beaten in the air for that ball.

Oranges038

It's a bit of both. Sabitzer should have done better to position himself to run interference, but De Gea should have got up a hell of a lot higher to claim the ball properly. His left foot is barely off the ground at the time he's trying to catch the ball so it's hardly surprising that his hands are only at the same level as the Villa player's head.
Shouldn't even be a challenge to be fair, just the usual pussying out of contact.

He leaves a Villa player a clean run at the ball. Any competent defender gets between the opponent and the ball. He actually moves out of the Villa players way. And De Gea wasn’t beaten in the air for that ball.
Never said he was beaten I said there's no way he should be, DDG should be claiming it cleanly even without Sabitzer protecting his space. He's barely off the ground, and just about gets it away.

It's weak and pathetic but expected at this stage.

acnumber9

Shouldn't even be a challenge to be fair, just the usual pussying out of contact.

Never said he was beaten I said there's no way he should be, DDG should be claiming it cleanly even without Sabitzer protecting his space. He's barely off the ground, and just about gets it away.

None of that excuses Sabitzer moving out of the way and giving the Villa player a clear run at the ball. It was shocking defending.

hmchan

I mean, we have seen worse.

Red00012

It’s shocking by DDG and expected but Sabitzer doesn’t help things

Oranges038

None of that excuses Sabitzer moving out of the way and giving the Villa player a clear run at the ball. It was shocking defending.
Shocking defending..... cop on.

It's a looping high ball that drops in the 6 yard box and it's shocking defending because he backs away with his arms out and expects the keeper to claim.

He's after making 2 blocks/interceptions, first one unluckily slapped off Shaw and resulted in him having to make the second block. He gets up and clearly moves away with his arms out and is trying to protect the space for DDG to claim the ball.

Whether he moves out of the way or not, a keeper simply has to be claiming that ball. That's all there is too it.

Nicolarra90

Someone has studied Sports science.

The one thing the science can't comprehend is aggression and bravery. It's a mental thing more than anything.

Yes of course there's also the mental part.
I agree that he's massively afraid of getting hurt.

But then what comes first, is it just a pure mental thing or is he afraid because he is weaker?

You could write an essay about him, with physical and mental attributes, broken hearts and childhood trauma to look for the root of the weakness. But in the end we just care about having a commanding goalkeeper and he has no time left to show he can improve.

Now with all the delayed takeover thing and the lack of a 9 that will take probably like 2/3 of our budget we probably will have to extend DDG so he will have to improve in that area.

So apart from upping his mental tolerance to pain the only other way he can overcome being weaker than your average footballer Joe is improving his technique, something he haven't done in 10 years...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s really basic goalkeeping. One of those situations where keepers hold all the cards because of how those contests are referee’d. All they need to do is jump up to catch the ball with one knee/leg lifted in front of them as protection. You see it all the time. The attacking player is at a huge disadvantage and actually at risk of injury if they don’t back off and let the keeper claim. De Gea’s (lack of) technique actually invites the challenge.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Oh come on, Villa lad comes steaming in and fouls him - which is why the ref gave a free kick.

Literally every keeper is getting bundled over in that scenario and taking the foul.

acnumber9

Shocking defending..... cop on.

It's a looping high ball that drops in the 6 yard box and it's shocking defending because he backs away with his arms out and expects the keeper to claim.

He's after making 2 blocks/interceptions, first one unluckily slapped off Shaw and resulted in him having to make the second block. He gets up and clearly moves away with his arms out and is trying to protect the space for DDG to claim the ball.

Whether he moves out of the way or not, a keeper simply has to be claiming that ball. That's all there is too it.
Yes. Any player that moves out of the opponents way to leave them a clear run at the ball is guilty of shocking defending. It’s his job to block the run. Take your own advice and cop on.

acnumber9

It’s really basic goalkeeping. One of those situations where keepers hold all the cards because of how those contests are referee’d. All they need to do is jump up to catch the ball with one knee/leg lifted in front of them as protection. You see it all the time. The attacking player is at a huge disadvantage and actually at risk of injury if they don’t back off and let the keeper claim. De Gea’s (lack of) technique actually invites the challenge.
Sabitzer invited the challenge when he moved out of the way. Any player with half a clue stands their ground and blocks the run.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Sabitzer invited the challenge when he moved out of the way. Any player with half a clue stands their ground and blocks the run.
Any keeper with half a pair of bollocks catches that ball and annihilates anyone foolish enough to get in his way. No matter what the defender does. Sabitzer is obviously not used to playing with a keeper so lacking in cojones.

acnumber9

Any keeper with half a pair of bollocks catches that ball and annihilates anyone foolish enough to get in his way. No matter what the defender does. Sabitzer is obviously not used to playing with a keeper so lacking in cojones.
Maybe they do but it’s still worse by Sabitzer. De Gea is trying to do what he can to the best of his ability, which in those situations isn’t great. What the hell is Sabitzer doing? What footballer with half a brain doesn’t block that run?

Oranges038

Yes. Any player that moves out of the opponents way to leave them a clear run at the ball is guilty of shocking defending. It’s his job to block the run. Take your own advice and cop on.

So basically what DDG does everything there's a ball played into the 6 yard box.

Oranges038

Oh come on, Villa lad comes steaming in and fouls him - which is why the ref gave a free kick.

Literally every keeper is getting bundled over in that scenario and taking the foul.
Aye, if he gets up quicker for the ball he wins it and the Villa player doesn't even get a chance to jump for it.

It's simple goalkeeping, but yeah let's blame the guy who intercepted the cross and blocked a shot for the keeper not claiming a high ball.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Aye, if he gets up quicker for the ball he wins it and the Villa player doesn't even get a chance to jump for it.

It's simple goalkeeping, but yeah let's blame the guy who intercepted the cross and blocked a shot for the keeper not claiming a high ball.
De Gea doesn't control gravity... The ball drops at the rate it does. The Villa player was going for that ball regardless of what De Gea did. (incidents like this happen literally every game... I don't really recall oppo players just giving up cos the keepers jumping) He won the ball as it was so not sure why he has to jump earlier to win it?

Nobody is at fault for the incident... It's not even an incident... It was a foul to us and called as such.

CoopersDream

Yes, I can't believe de Gea didn't bring out his trampolin to jump five yards up to catch it before it pretty much fell vertically down. Jokes aside, there's not a scenario here where de Gea could've gotten up to the ball before the Villa player jumped. Unless, of course, de Gea doesn't abide to laws of physics and whatnot. We can say de Gea should have jumped higher and with more authority and all ( which he should), but the way the situation played he was always going to be fouled here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yes, I can't believe de Gea didn't bring out his trampolin to jump five yards up to catch it before it pretty much fell vertically down. Jokes aside, there's not a scenario here where de Gea could've gotten up to the ball before the Villa player jumped. Unless, of course, de Gea doesn't abide to laws of physics and whatnot. We can say de Gea should have jumped higher and with more authority and all ( which he should), but the way the situation played he was always going to be fouled here.
Are you being serious? You can’t think of a scenario where a goalkeeper could get to a dropping ball with his hands before an opposition player could get to it with his head?

CoopersDream

Are you being serious? You can’t think of a scenario where a goalkeeper could get to a dropping ball with his hands before an opposition player could get to it with his head?
I'm not sure if you can't read or what the issue here is. That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying there's not a scenario where he could have gotten to the ball before the Villa player jumped. He could have jumped higher and got better hands to it, sure, but he'd still have been fouled.

Sylar

Tbf he did say ddg rather than a goalkeeper :wenger:

Nobody is at fault for the incident... It's not even an incident... It was a foul to us and called as such.
Was it given? I really couldn't tell with the officials and how weird they were

Based Adnan

Imagine trying to argue VDS or Schmeichel couldn't get to the ball using their hands over an opposition player jumping

Different standards for De Gea because we know he's weak

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm not sure if you can't read or what the issue here is. That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying there's not a scenario where he could have gotten to the ball before the Villa player jumped. He could have jumped higher and got better hands to it, sure, but he'd still have been fouled.
Oh right. My bad. Didn’t realise you were making such a strange point. Why would any goalkeeper ever need to get to a dropping ball before the striker has started their jump?

All that matters is whether they can get clean contact on the ball (a punch, or preferably catch) before the striker gets near it. Which should be a basic skill for any keeper when the ball is dropping straight down like it was here. If he gets fouled afterwards, so be it. The reason De Gea looked bad was because he didn’t get that clean contact on the ball he should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.