Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Jesus Christ. When Micah Richards mentioned the POY awards from a few years ago, would it kill Keano to just say "yes, he was fantastic a few years ago but he's declined since then" instead of doubling down on his permanent disdain towards De Gea. It almost feels like Sky are encouraging him to do a caricature of himself at this point.
Keano may be a legend and one of my favourite players but every now and then he's just an arsehole

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Keano may be a legend and one of my favourite players but every now and then he's just an arsehole
Same here. With most footballers, I try to separate the player from the personality but Keano doesn't half make it difficult sometimes. It still feels like he holds some bitterness towards United for the way he was booted out of the club (to a lesser degree now than when Fergie was still in charge).

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Same here. With most footballers, I try to separate the player from the personality but Keano doesn't half make it difficult sometimes. It still feels like he holds some bitterness towards United for the way he was booted out of the club (to a lesser degree now than when Fergie was still in charge).
There could be an element of truth in that, but I think it's a bit deeper than that, he hated Mick McCarthy and wasn't shy about making it known, he admitted trying to 'do' Haaland, and he meant finish his career not just injure him

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

There could be an element of truth in that, but I think it's a bit deeper than that, he hated Mick McCarthy and wasn't shy about making it known, he admitted trying to 'do' Haaland, and he meant finish his career not just injure him
So you reckon once he decides he dislikes someone then he has tunnel vision and refuses to see the good in them? There could be something in that. He's a very stubborn bloke. If it wasn't for Micah Richards laughing at everything he says, there's no way Sky would still employ the miserable sod.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
So you reckon once he decides he dislikes someone then he has tunnel vision and refuses to see the good in them? There could be something in that. He's a very stubborn bloke. If it wasn't for Micah Richards laughing at everything he says, there's no way Sky would still employ the miserable sod.
Tunnel vision is a good way to describe it, not with everything or everyone but in some cases yes, like I said, he hates McCarthy, has done for a couple of decades at least, his biggest gripe with him is apparently that he's a 'plastic' Irishman because he was born in England, probably a bit more to it than that but he's never let it go

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
He can be a good backup, but will he accept that?
Nope, I think he's going, all the hugs, back pats and looks at the start of the game made me think they all knew it was his last game at OT

fallengt

Keano probably just dislike wimpy players in general.
DDG falls into that category

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Keane may now claim he never rated De Gea, but the truth is that he was actually describing him as the best goalkeeper in the world some seasons ago, back around when he was repeatedly winning those POTY awards.

While the intervening years should inform how you view De Gea's current ability, they shouldn't make you retrospectively downplay how good De Gea actually was at his peak.

edgecutter

That's actually embarrassing from Keane
I don't think he said anything wrong. He's right that we need a new goalkeeper and that de gea has been a liability for a long time.

Just because he won the golden glove doesn't mean he's the answer. De gea was dodgy all season and the errors he has made along with no control in his 6 yard box is criminal for a guy on 375k.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Keane didn't rate Peter Schmeichel highly. He has a strong dislike for goalkeepers for some reason. He very rarely praises one.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Fecking hell. He’s been a great servant but a new contract for DdG is so dumb. Let’s move him on and get a modern keeper in.

Alemar

Keane didn't rate Peter Schmeichel highly. He has a strong dislike for goalkeepers for some reason. He very rarely praises one.
That’s true in fact. Given chance, it’s likely Keane would’ve criticised even Lev Yashin, let alone David

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

If ETH wasn't on board with it and they ignored him then he should walk away right now
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Ten Hag changed his mind on De Gea's future at some point after the contract negotiations started a few months ago. After the Sevilla and West Ham games, it wouldn't surprise if he decided to be more ruthless with the GK situation.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Ten Hag changed his mind on De Gea's future at some point after the contract negotiations started a few months ago. After the Sevilla and West Ham games, it wouldn't surprise if he decided to be more ruthless with the GK situation.
True but I doubt it, do we know how long this new contract is for?

Alemar

In ETH situation, with uncertainty over ownership and transfer budget, it might make sense for him to settle for DDG extension now, considering a dire need for striker and midfielder.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is such a weird season for him, got golden glove but his performance was so mixed bag.

Against Fulham the corner we conceded from, that really shouldn't be a corner. It was GK ball all day long, he didn't move an inch and Maguire headed the ball away to corner.

Worrying part is, EtH wants him to stay, so looks like he will stay. I was hoping for better allround keeper who makes defenders job easier by claiming the crosses and commanding the area.

Andersonson

If ETH wasn't on board with it and they ignored him then he should walk away right now
Which you know deep down aint case, he wants him to stay and has said that several times. The club has also given him several contract suggestions, this is a salary thing nothing else.

As Rio said on his podcast, Arnold has a different view on contracts than Woodward, as Rio also said, he wished Woodward was there when he played, he would be loaded... The club is trying to make up on past mistakes regarding salaries

Dave stays as no.1 next season!

Seij

The only scenario where him staying makes any sense is if he agrees to 100k/w and we sign a keeper who is good enough to compete for the starting spot.

Sounds like he agreed to somewhere between 200-300k. Absolutely flabbergasted you'll pay the highest GK wage in the league by far to someone who can't even make Spain's top 5.

Dorris

Which you know deep down aint case, he wants him to stay and has said that several times. The club has also given him several contract suggestions, this is a salary thing nothing else.

As Rio said on his podcast, Arnold has a different view on contracts than Woodward, as Rio also said, he wished Woodward was there when he played, he would be loaded... The club is trying to make up on past mistakes regarding salaries

Dave stays as no.1 next season!
The tweet below pretty much confirms he’s going to be backup if he stays.

bucky

Oranges038

Genuinely don't see the logic behind giving him any sort of new deal from a footballing point of view.

From a financial point of view with regards to other transfers then, yeah, I can see that.

But is he's being offered between 200-300k a week that is insane. He's not even worth 100k a week even as backup.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
How much do the number 2 keepers at other big clubs make per week? £50k? £20k?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I believe Keane just didn’t like Schmeichel much. He was even reluctant to praise him for the crucial penalty save.
He said something like “Thankfully Bergkamp missed it. Or to be precise, Peter Schmeichel saved it.”

StiffTackle

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again. Succession planning for the goalkeeper position at United is never going to be a bad idea.

For anyone old enough to remember previous transitions - we know it doesnt always work out no matter how talented the goalkeeper.

Getting De Gea to reduce his wage to £200k or less plus selling Henderson and getting rid of his large wage allows us to bring in a new younger Goalkeeper ready to fight for the number one spot. If they cope then we can let De Gea go for a minimal fee in a season or two. If they don’t we aren’t in a position where our entire season collapses because we took a risk.

It will cost us less than just the price we are paying De Gea now so the only reason to think its a bad strategy is if you think De Gea is going to go rogue and start causing conflict.

Ten Hag seems like a straight shooter and has just said publicly that De Gea isnt guaranteed to be number one next season. I believe he would have told him that in even greater detail to his face so if De Gea signs its because he’s ready to accept it.

Other than outright hatred for the guy there’s no reason to be upset that he’s on the bench for an extra year.

Reactions: top1whoisman

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again. Succession planning for the goalkeeper position at United is never going to be a bad idea.

For anyone old enough to remember previous transitions - we know it doesnt always work out no matter how talented the goalkeeper.

Getting De Gea to reduce his wage to £200k or less plus selling Henderson and getting rid of his large wage allows us to bring in a new younger Goalkeeper ready to fight for the number one spot. If they cope then we can let De Gea go for a minimal fee in a season or two. If they don’t we aren’t in a position where our entire season collapses because we took a risk.

It will cost us less than just the price we are paying De Gea now so the only reason to think its a bad strategy is if you think De Gea is going to go rogue and start causing conflict.

Ten Hag seems like a straight shooter and has just said publicly that De Gea isnt guaranteed to be number one next season. I believe he would have told him that in even greater detail to his face so if De Gea signs its because he’s ready to accept it.

Other than outright hatred for the guy there’s no reason to be upset that he’s on the bench for an extra year.
Your comment only makes sense if it's a one-year extension. What if it's four or five, as tends to be the case when we extend players' contracts?

Paddymcc

I wonder if Uniteds plan is to tie De Gea into a 2yr contract and use him with Kovar next season to slowly blood the youngster into the starting lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.