Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olecurls99

Proactive keeper gives away a pen tonight. Never needed to leave his line. Won't show up on the stats but it cost his team. Stick to the clean sheets Dave. We'll have ya.

Barcelona 2:2 Man Utd

Trequartistry

Disastrous for the first Barca goal, but I guess he made 2 camera saves which the commentator moaned extra loud on so we don’t need to replace in the summer

Not to mention a few terrible turnovers from him giving the ball away

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's absolutely criminal how even teams like Barcelona take air advantage in our box because of his pasivness. Even when he comes out for high ball he makes a real mess out of the situation. And I won't even talk about his distribution.

When even Barca are hoofing it into our 6 yard box knowing De Gea won’t do shit all, you know you’ve got a problem.

He is priority to be replaced, after a ST.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
When he doesn’t come off the line the least you would hope for is to cover the angles on the post , that was such a shit goal to concede

Sylar

Not much he could do for the 2nd, poor for the first.
I'd go with this. He made some decent saves but that first goal was criminal. Ball seemed to be in the air for years and he was just rooted.

He also becomes a poor option for when we try to pass out the back and it can lead to a player dropping deeper meaning opposition can press higher

el3mel

He saved our arses in the last minute. Could have lost without him.

I can't believe some actually want to replace him. People acting as if this will be easy or something.

He's a great keeper with few unimportant flaws really and one of our most reliable players. Replacing him will be damn hard and it's the least thing we need to do now considering there're more important positions to reinforce in the team.

De Gea can give us many more solid years.

Sylar

I can't believe some actually want to replace him. People acting as if this will be easy or something.

He's a great keeper with few unimportant flaws really and one of our most reliable players. Replacing him will be damn hard and it's the least thing we need to do now considering there're more important positions to reinforce in the team.

I won't go over the same ground again, cos I'm happy with the overall performance from the team.

But I'm baffled you would say unimportant flaws.

And it's not like we're replacing schmeichel, which was a damn hard task. Replacing and upgrading on ddg should not be as difficult as you're making out

Andersonson

People who are blaming the goals on him haven't played football themselves. Baffling opinions. He was actually pretty darn good today

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Good performance if you’re not stuck in a circle of confirmation bias. Strong punches and some excellent saves.

Pronewbie

Peep
People who are blaming the goals on him haven't played football themselves. Baffling opinions. He was actually pretty darn good today
Used to play as a Keeper but he frustrated me greatly today with all the flaws we know and hate. They get magnified in the big games and it places immense stress on a defence that's not known for doing well on set pieces and crosses.

el3mel

I won't go over the same ground again, cos I'm happy with the overall performance from the team.

But I'm baffled you would say unimportant flaws.

And it's not like we're replacing schmeichel, which was a damn hard task. Replacing and upgrading on ddg should not be as difficult as you're making out
Getting a better keeper than De Gea won't be really that easy at all and the team doesn't need the dilemma of enduring a new keeper while we need to invest our money in other more important positions.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mistakes can and will happen with all keepers. But De Gea's issues are about what he can't do as a keeper. And when you're weak at commanding your area and with the ball at your feet, there will always be big question marks surrounding your ability as a keeper.

Ter Stegen got beaten on the near post and that's a mistake and mistakes can happen. But as a goalkeeper with a well rounded skillset he's comfortably better than De Gea.

Erik ten Hag is a proponent of vertical positional play and De Gea is a big weakness in that regard.

Andersonson

Used to play as a Keeper but he frustrated me greatly today with all the flaws we know and hate. They get magnified in the big games and it places immense stress on a defence that's not known for doing well on set pieces and crosses.
If you think the goals were on him, you sat on the bench in little league

arnie_ni

He could have done better for the 1st. I don't think he could claim it but he needs to shift across quicker and cut out that near post header

Longshanks

Couple of good saves, nothing outstanding but good solid saves. 1 soft goal let in (the first). Surprisingly punched a couple of corners away fair play. Terrible distribution.

Pretty much what we have come to expect from Dave.

He punched 3 or 4 tonight. He done quite well in that regard today.
Good punches, agreed. But that period from 80 mins to the 92nd min were Barca were assaulting us aerially, he was glued to his line.

It’s a big problem. Our defence drops deeper than it needs to, then it leads to more space towards the edge of the box for opposition players, like where Fati was for his chance. It happens every game without fail.

Kag

What planet are you on?

CloneMC16

Seriously? Having zero command of his box is an unimportant flaw?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

Saved our asses seriously ? I swear any half decent keeper would make the saves he made today . It’s fine if you think that he doesn’t need to be replaced but let’s not behave like he is doing stuff no one else could do

Pronewbie

Peep
A good keeper collects the corner for the 1st goal. Could have arguably parried away the header at his near post from his 6 yard box too, since he always sets himself up for a shot to make up for never coming out to collect. A defence having full confidence in their goalkeeper performs much differently, especially in an area opponents currently exploit.

You're probably the sort too used to slow-motion replays and acrobatics when judging a goalkeeper, ignoring the basics such as a Keeper's starting position.

Against Leeds I saw him holding his post again when they had an opportunity at his near post. The same major flaws of his game (command of area, crosses) I typed on this board when he joined have barely been improved.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Wouldn't go overboard being critical of today's performance but the idea that his flaws are unimportant is an absolutely horrendous take.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Having de Gea as your gk is like having to drink your own piss in the desert.

Sylar

Getting a better keeper than De Gea won't be really that easy at all and the team doesn't need the dilemma of enduring a new keeper while we need to invest our money in other more important positions.
Ddg made good saves today.
The more important position is striker we we just don't have one
But after that GK is the most important position to get right. It's the starting point of the spine.

Ddg doesn't just have 'modern' keeper issues, eg getting involved with play.
But the issue comes with commanding the box, which would be leadership or stuff like sweeping and claiming crosses.

Right now ddg isnt outstanding at any aspects. He's a good shot stopper (he's not as good as he was a few years ago). But has weaknesses in other areas and there are keepers out there where we don't need a world class in every aspect keeper, but solid in all instantly becomes an upgrade

el3mel

Wouldn't go overboard being critical of today's performance but the idea that his flaws are unimportant is an absolutely horrendous take.
His flaws aren't really as important as his critics want to magnify them to be just to get rid of him for their version of "modern keeper". He more than makes up for it with his other qualities.

It's just overplayed and I can see any new keeper getting slaughtered once De Gea is replaced even if he has these "modern keeper abilities" others are dreaming of.

You never know how good what you have in your hands is until it's replaced.

Command of your area isn’t a modern keeper attribute. Lev Yashin was the GOAT at it. Handling and aerial prowess has been important for 100 years as a goalkeeper.

Longshanks

His flaws aren't really as important as his critics want to magnify them to be just to get rid of him for their version of "modern keeper". He more than makes up for it with his other qualities.

It's just overplayed and I can see any new keeper getting slaughtered once De Gea is replaced even if he has these "modern keeper abilities" others are dreaming of.

You never know how good what you have in your hands is until it's replaced.
Being brave, commanding your area and actually being able to distribute are not modern keepers abilities. They are traditional keeper abilities that he has none of.

He also isn't very comfortable with the ball at his feet under pressure and is an uncomfortable sweeper behind a high line which are very much modern keeper abilities he also dosent have.

His qualities are basically reflexes, agility and positioning but non of them are world class anymore, they were at a time but not anymore.

His handling used to be excellent aswell he would happily catch shots but now he tends to parry alot that he could catch and rarely catches and holds anything.

His qualities no longer outweigh his many flaws. And he is really unsuited to a team that want to be brave and play on the front foot. He has to be replaced ASAP so we can take the next step.

Valencia Shin Crosses

By every quantifiable measure he’s near the bottom of his own league for keepers. Stop getting blinded by a couple cool highlight saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.