Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember the geese

He made it look like it was easy. A keeper doing that will have an influence on that opposition player.
Schmeichel used to do these kind of theatrics a lot. Its all part of the game.
He did make it look easy, but that's because it was, relatively. If only he brought us the other attributes that Schmeichel had.

Lyng

He did make it look easy, but that's because it was, relatively. If only he brought us the other attributes that Schmeichel had.
To be fair Schmeichel was one of a kind and I highly doubt we will ever have a keeper like him.
I do believe we can upgrade De Gea but sometimes the way people talk about him, even after a good performance, is toxic.
Heck we even have people who want Henderson back, despite him shit talking the club in public.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I just don't rate him at all anymore. Think he causes us monumental issues and there are many keepers we could get who would better. The worst thing is when Ten Hag looks to replace him, and he will. All these De Gea fans will be the first ones to throw him under the bus claiming De Gea is better.

Lyng

The save itself was very easy. Any keeper who let that in would be considered to have made a huge mistake. Holding it was definitely impressive though. Most keepers (including De Gea himself) would normally have just pushed it out wide either for a corner or back into play.
Thats my point. Most keepers would push it out, but holding it made it look even easier and makes opposition players second guess themselves.

Lyng

I just don't rate him at all anymore. Think he causes us monumental issues and there are many keepers we could get who would better. The worst thing is when Ten Hag looks to replace him, and he will. All these De Gea fans will be the first ones to throw him under the bus claiming De Gea is better.
Why would they? I dont see you throwing Martinez under the bus despite him displacing Maguire...

Remember the geese

To be fair Schmeichel was one of a kind and I highly doubt we will ever have a keeper like him.
I do believe we can upgrade De Gea but sometimes the way people talk about him, even after a good performance, is toxic.
Heck we even have people who want Henderson back, despite him shit talking the club in public.
I think there's a real lack of quality keepers out there. Where is the new Buffon or Neuer waiting for us this summer? Schmeichel was a monster of a keeper, a legend. Though even he would have had to adapt to playing with his feet a bit better than he did. I'd be delighted to bin Henderson off. Not a fan of his goalkeeping or personality.

Pronewbie

Peep
I actually think the opposite will happen. All we need is a competent modern keeper - a steady Eddie if you'd like - and De Gea will get the Maguire treatment.

Baneofthegame

Some great saves tonight (although only the one for Fati's shot was truly difficult — the rest were just very camera-friendly)... but what the hell was he doing for the first goal? And while Casemiro is mainly at fault for the second, I still expect much more from a top keeper. The less said about his control over the box & distribution, the better.

I love the guy and he'll always be a club legend in my eyes but we need to move on next summer.
Basically how I feel about him, I honestly get nervous just thinking about balls into our box because I know no matter what he's not coming to deal with it and if he is it's a punch.

Love Dave, but we should upgrade if we can.

Lyng

I think there's a real lack of quality keepers out there. Where is the new Buffon or Neuer waiting for us this summer? Schmeichel was a monster of a keeper, a legend. Though even he would have had to adapt to playing with his feet a bit better than he did. I'd be delighted to bin Henderson off. Not a fan of his goalkeeping or personality.
I agree completely. Yeah Peter wasnt all that great with his feet, which is why he chose to throw a lot of the time.
And yes even some of the favourites on here like Raya arent monster keepers. Allisson is probably the closest but even he has a few blunders in him.
For me personally I see Vanderwoort as the next big super keeper. But thats also only a feeling until he has proven himself on a larger stage.

TrustInJanuzaj

I actually think the opposite will happen. All we need is a competent modern keeper - a steady Eddie if you'd like - and De Gea will get the Maguire treatment.
Hope you're right. I hope that with an even half decent keeper people will notice the massive difference but the treatment of Henderson on here doesn't fill me with confidence. Hendo actually brought more qualities to the team than De Gea evidenced in nearly every metric and he's average really. Still a good few were unable to accept that because he couldn't make the Hollywood saves. If our next keeper does everything well aside from the Hollywood saves they wont be fully rated here.

TrustInJanuzaj

You, at least used to be though. And you are still here and not going after Martinez.
I think Maguire is overhated for sure and a better player than many give him credit for but Martinez is so far clear as he's truly world class. I was never going to sit and moan if he was replaced to be fair.

Lyng

I think Maguire is overhated for sure and a better player than many give him credit for but Martinez is so far clear as he's truly world class. I was never going to sit and moan if he was replaced to be fair.
Then why do you think it wont be the same for De Gea? If we get a keeper in thats a clear upgrade, no one will complain.

Rossa

He made it look like it was easy. A keeper doing that will have an influence on that opposition player.
Schmeichel used to do these kind of theatrics a lot. Its all part of the game.
Agreed - you could tell from Raphinha's expression that he was surprised at how easy DDG made it look from that long range shot. DDG should save that 100/100 times, but I'm not sure everyone would hold it with such ease and arrogance?
Good game, but nothing spectacular, but good.

Remember the geese

I agree completely. Yeah Peter wasnt all that great with his feet, which is why he chose to throw a lot of the time.
And yes even some of the favourites on here like Raya arent monster keepers. Allisson is probably the closest but even he has a few blunders in him.
For me personally I see Vanderwoort as the next big super keeper. But thats also only a feeling until he has proven himself on a larger stage.
Yeah he had a hell of a throw on him! I think the way to do it this summer is to bring in a stop-gap keeper who is a better stylistic fit than De Gea. Someone like Raya, until a genuine potentially elite keeper presents themselves. I haven't seen anything of Vandevoordt, but have heard good things.

Lyng

Yeah he had a hell of a throw on him! I think the way to do it this summer is to bring in a stop-gap keeper who is a better stylistic fit than De Gea. Someone like Raya, until a genuine potentially elite keeper presents themselves. I haven't seen anything of Vandevoordt, but have heard good things.
His throw was insane. He could throw longer then some other keepers could kick. But of course as a dane there is no limit to the praise I have for Peter.

Yup I agree that would be a good solution.

Oranges038

Did make some good saves, came and punched a few balls, I prefer to see the keeper catch those. Should have done better on the first goal, on the second he's off the ground as the ball is coming to Lewandowski , so by the time he lands he can't react. I've seen him do this before. Pause the video at 3.51, both his feet are off the ground. He's never going to have time to land and react.

But his other flaws still on show, particularly commanding the box the quality of his passing out. Ter Stegen's swift play out, throws and rolls was excellent to watch. DDG's unwillingness to show for the ball to help his defenders in pathetic. I can think of 2 examples, the one where Casemeiro swung it across to AWB that led to the Alba chance. And the one where Casemeiro played it off Gavi for a goalkick. Both times he should be dropping out looking for a pass and he's just stood at tge goal.

Remember the geese

His throw was insane. He could throw longer then some other keepers could kick. But of course as a dane there is no limit to the praise I have for Peter.

Yup I agree that would be a good solution.
Rightly so. The best keeper we have ever had and one of the all time greats of the game. As you are a Dane, is there any hope of Mads Hermansen at Brøndby? I remember some were talking about him quite highly a year or so ago.

TrustInJanuzaj

Then why do you think it wont be the same for De Gea? If we get a keeper in thats a clear upgrade, no one will complain.
In part because I think it will be hard to find a keeper as flashy as Dave. De Gea even now can make eye catching saves and I think for many that's all they see with a keeper. I think its highly likely we will replace him with a player that does everything well, but probably isn't as spectacular at making saves. Will that be accepted here do you reckon?

Lyng

Rightly so. The best keeper we have ever had and one of the all time greats of the game. As you are a Dane, is there any hope of Mads Hermansen at Brøndby? I remember some were talking about him quite highly a year or so ago.
Mads is a huge talent no doubt. A great shotstopper but not affraid to come of his line, and prefers to take the ball rather than punch.

This video highlights him quite well. His distribution is leagues above Dave already.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If we get a monster of a keeper then nobody will complain. But if we 'only' get a good keeper who is solid doing everything without perhaps being amazing at anything, I'd say it's a near certainty that when he concedes a goal that prime De Gea might have stopped that there are some people on here who will instantly be very vocal that 'De Gea would have saved that!'. Or when he makes a mistake (as all keepers do) that those people will be claiming that it wouldn't have happened if De Gea was in goal. Ignoring the fact that De Gea hasn't been anywhere near his prime level for five years or that he himself regularly makes mistakes these days.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I doubt it. There's a fairly vocal group on here who talk about De Gea as if he's still making constant world class saves that other keepers wouldn't.

Remember the geese

Mads is a huge talent no doubt. A great shotstopper but not affraid to come of his line, and prefers to take the ball rather than punch.

This video highlights him quite well. His distribution is leagues above Dave already.

Thanks for this. He looks very impressive. Would be even bigger pressure on him signing for United, with the inevitable Schmeichel comparisons. I do hope that the club have an eye on him though.

Oranges038

The range, weight and quality of the passes off both feet is impressive.

flappyjay

In part because I think it will be hard to find a keeper as flashy as Dave. De Gea even now can make eye catching saves and I think for many that's all they see with a keeper. I think its highly likely we will replace him with a player that does everything well, but probably isn't as spectacular at making saves. Will that be accepted here do you reckon?
I think you described Van Der Sar. He didn't look fancy because of his world class positioning. And of course he had a great command of his area.

Sylar

Hope he's off asap. Can't stand seeing him tarnish his legacy putting in crap performances and having the clowns feast every single time he doesn't come off his line. He's been a great servant to the club and imo our second best ever keeper, I'm sure the same "fans" slaughtering him now will be singing his praises a few years after he leaves just like they did with Rooney though.
Interesting. So you have him above either VDS or Schmeichel? (assuming the former)?

Honestly that is the only question. It really is quite easy to sign a keeper who has been comfortably better than De Gea for the last few years. The only issue is that for most of them there is the question of how will they handle the step up in pressure?

Nick Pope is an easy example. He's been miles better than De Gea for a few years now and was available for cheap. However he has been poor whenever given the chance for England (I didn't watch the games but from what others said), so that definitely raises the question of can he handle pressure? He stepped up to Newcastle this season and has once again been much better than De Gea so he's shown an improvement in that aspect, but obviously Newcastle isn't Man Utd.

Ultimately we can't let that question hold us back though. We always have to seek improvement else we'll never move forward, and goalkeeper is one of the most notable areas in our team that can be improved. If we get it wrong we just have to try again (like both Pep and Klopp did).

Also, it should be noted that De Gea has hardly been great under pressure himself the last five years. He's had a fairly big tendency to make mistakes in a lot of our bigger games in that time, which has directly led to us being knocked out of cups or out of the top 4.
This is the really important part that a lot of people overlook.

Every player makes a mistake or a blunder, including goalkeepers. The thing you want to do is minimise those mistakes especially at crucial times. DDG has had some good / really good seasons for us.
but i can list of key moments hes cost us in cups (big moments), which is unfortunate. He did the same for Spain when he finally became their number one.

I like Dave, but it was mentioned in this thread before about how he won the league. In the league in 2012/13 he had the second lowest appearances under us in the competition. The lowest was when he got replaced by Henderson half way through the season and we came second.
And third lowest was when we came joint on points with City but came second.

His best seasons have been when we as a team have not been great and been attacked by teams so he can pull of save after save. Thats not all on him btw, cos weve had some stinkers as managers and some players ahead of him contributing to that.

On top of mistakes, its how you bounce back from it. DDG has done well enough this season, but is that good enough for us?

Its why I never understand the 'you dont know what you got until its gone' mentality around certain players especially DDG. Yesterday seemed to be a whole bunch of 'nothing new' with him in terms of performance. Saved well for some, I enjoyed him catching the ball on one of the shots near the end, but then glued to the line from their corner (meaning he wasnt in a position to affect the goal whether it was in the air or once it went towards the goal)

Flanders Devil

Honestly that is the only question. It really is quite easy to sign a keeper who has been comfortably better than De Gea for the last few years. The only issue is that for most of them there is the question of how will they handle the step up in pressure?

Nick Pope is an easy example. He's been miles better than De Gea for a few years now and was available for cheap. However he has been poor whenever given the chance for England (I didn't watch the games but from what others said), so that definitely raises the question of can he handle pressure? He stepped up to Newcastle this season and has once again been much better than De Gea so he's shown an improvement in that aspect, but obviously Newcastle isn't Man Utd.

Ultimately we can't let that question hold us back though. We always have to seek improvement else we'll never move forward, and goalkeeper is one of the most notable areas in our team that can be improved. If we get it wrong we just have to try again (like both Pep and Klopp did).

Also, it should be noted that De Gea has hardly been great under pressure himself the last five years. He's had a fairly big tendency to make mistakes in a lot of our bigger games in that time, which has directly led to us being knocked out of cups or out of the top 4.
Very well said, and essentially my thoughts but articulated in much more detail and eloquently.

The only thing I'm suggesting here, that you didn't cover off (and not saying you agree or not), is the concept of signing a new GK whilst also keeping DDG (on reduced wages, shorter term contract). To me this is the smarter move (finances permitting) so that we still have DDG who at least gets the environmental and mental expectations at United whilst the other one proves themselves.

NoPace

I think any 1 of:
1) The passing being meh
2) Not coming out to grab crosses
3) Not sweeping comfortably out of the box

wouldn't demand a replacement, maybe even 2 of them because his shot-stopping is so damn good, but I think we'll probably move on. Won't shock me if he agrees to much, much lower wages and he stays until 2024 and we get 10M for him from an Italian or Spanish side. I think Ten Hag values continuity, although we probably have all 5 of our back 5 ahead of him starting again next year unless we bring in a RB to replace Wan-Bissaka and he beats out Dalot as #1. So maybe it's not a huge deal.

Trequartistry

Him being ‘a good shot stopper’ feels like a myth to me, he just loves making saves look so fancy. That Raphinha shot everyone keeps banging on about was in the middle of the goal, De Gea didn’t even need to get his 2 feet of the ground

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Him being ‘a good shot stopper’ feels like a myth to me, he just loves making saves look so fancy. That Raphinha shot everyone keeps banging on about was in the middle of the goal, De Gea didn’t even need to get his 2 feet of the ground
How have you watched United for presumably the last 10+ years and still come to this conclusion?

arnie_ni

If they are letting in goals where everyone is thinking de gea would save that probably not.

arnie_ni

He was the best shot stopper in the world for years so much so it didn't matter one but about his kicking, or sweeping, or lack of command in the box.

The only reason that matters now is because he isn't quite the shot stopper he was.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
How have you watched United for presumably the last 10+ years and still come to this conclusion?
He obviously was a great shot stopper up until 18/19. Probably the best I've seen in my 25 years watching football.

But I almost have to turn what you said around and say 'how have you watched United for presumably the last 5 years and still think he's a great shot stopper anymore?'. Not only is he nowhere close to the shot-stopper he once was, he's pretty much average these days. He still pulls off the occasional amazing save, but so do most good goalkeepers. Those are basically cancelled out by the goals that he lets in that he really should be stopping.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He obviously was a great shot stopper up until 18/19. Probably the best I've seen in my 25 years watching football.

But I almost have to turn what you said around and say 'how have you watched United for presumably the last 5 years and still think he's a great shot stopper anymore?'. Not only is he nowhere close to the shot-stopper he once was, he's pretty much average these days. He still pulls off the occasional amazing save, but so do most good goalkeepers. Those are basically cancelled out by the goals that he lets in that he really should be stopping.
I don't disagree that he used to be better (although I still think he's pretty good) but it's not a fecking myth considering he was probably the best shot stopper in the world for multiple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.