Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Since November he's conceded like 20 goals in 30 games so he's definitely had a return to shot stopping form
This is flawed without context. I'm not saying you're wrong as I think ddg has been good at shot stopping especially with recent games.
But the GK is not the only one Keeping the ball out the net. Clean sheets and goals conceded shows no context to a keepers ability to save a shot (esp in terms of saves made, difficulty of the save, etc.)

I like ddg. But its strange when people talk about DDG replacement they talk about mentality to play at OT, which seems to forget ddgs own first season here and mistakes he made (being dropped for lindegaard). And some of the really costly mistakes ddg has made in crucial moments / cup matches that have lead to us being eliminated thereafter.

Also when going from VDS to ddg it was obvious ddg had potential at a young age hence why he was signed, but it was clearly an initial downgrade.
And on top of that there was no evidence (to us as fans) on his mentality to deal with big moments and occasions (obviously why fergie missed a game and went to see him personally).

One thing in favour of ddg seems to be how liked he is by other players and his character seems to be valued by Eth. Maybe we will see a transition away from him rather than a cold swap

Olecurls99

This is flawed without context. I'm not saying you're wrong as I think ddg has been good at shot stopping especially with recent games.
But the GK is not the only one Keeping the ball out the net. Clean sheets and goals conceded shows no context to a keepers ability to save a shot (esp in terms of saves made, difficulty of the save, etc.)

I like ddg. But its strange when people talk about DDG replacement they talk about mentality to play at OT, which seems to forget ddgs own first season here and mistakes he made (being dropped for lindegaard). And some of the really costly mistakes ddg has made in crucial moments / cup matches that have lead to us being eliminated thereafter.

Also when going from VDS to ddg it was obvious ddg had potential at a young age hence why he was signed, but it was clearly an initial downgrade.
And on top of that there was no evidence (to us as fans) on his mentality to deal with big moments and occasions (obviously why fergie missed a game and went to see him personally).

One thing in favour of ddg seems to be how liked he is by other players and his character seems to be valued by Eth. Maybe we will see a transition away from him rather than a cold swap
I agree there has to be context. I was just posting that rough stat to point out that his shot stopping has improved since November. Up to that point we had let 6 in to City and 4 to Brentford and his shot stopping stats were poor but since then I think he's definitely had a return to form. We'll see. I reckon Dr Harrison will have updated stats soon.

The eye test suggest he's been fantastic since November.

Guapa

Think he's been in tremendous form this season,back to his best.Reckon he's good for another season.Que a clanger today(hope not)

next_number_seven

Think he's been in tremendous form this season,back to his best.Reckon he's good for another season.Que a clanger today(hope not)
He's only 32.
We could get 5 more good seasons out of him.
By then he'd be 2nd in most appearances behind Giggs

Sylar

I don't know how to rate that at all. The first half when the ball is looped into the air he just stands there.
Some of those he can't save but the firminho and gakpo ones for example it looked like he just turns his body and makes himself as small as possible

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't need to replace him though apparently. feck off :lol:

JeffFromHK

he is too timid as a goalkeeper. always fail to enlarge his area and loves to stand still when he faces 1v1, who the he'll told him it is a good strategy ? we should replace him this summer

Lay

I don't know how to rate that at all. The first half when the ball is looped into the air he just stands there.
Some of those he can't save but the firminho and gakpo ones for example it looked like he just turns his body and makes himself as small as possible
Has always been an issue.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
All other analysis aside, he may as well not even have been in goal today. Literally shots going through him all day. Saved nothing. Stopped 0 crosses. Horrendous from him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The auld shot-stopping stats not gonna look too pretty after today. :nervous:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He has this strange ability to make himself look smaller when 1v1 with an opponent.

lsd

The Oracle
Would have been 0.0 today if he had saved those seven goals. Disappointing

Idxomer

How many more battering with this guy in goal do we need before replacing him?

CoopersDream

I mean, if anyone thinks that sticking any other goalkeeper in goal today would have made the result any different I don't know what you were watching. Sure, the seventh could have been saved, possibly one more, but most of the goals were unstoppable today.

Sure, there was this one time in the first half he could and should have come out for a high ball. Otherwise there wasn't many crosses he should have claimed. That wasn't the way this game was played.

Reactions: VeevaVee

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I think there were at least 3 goals that literally any other keeper in the league would have saved. He’s just weak, and you need a strong keeper when you’re up against it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pathetic performance, absolutely performance.

Lay

Weird how he’s been on the end of some batterings, historic battering too but for some, he’s fine as he is.

Really strange that

Jev

I think there were at least 3 goals that literally any other keeper in the league would have saved. He’s just weak, and you need a strong keeper when you’re up against it.
Which three? Apart from the seventh he can't be blamed for any of the goals.

Wilt

£375,000 a week, Worlds highest paid keeper concedes 6 goals 2nd half ….wish he’d feck off asap

arnie_ni

Only one I thought he made a mistake was the 7th. Not sure how he could have done better for any of the others. The defenders were at fault for the first 6

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Would be quite interested to know what the post-shot xG was on those goals.

Because while they scored with nearly every shot on target and way overperformed their xG in this game, none of the goals looked like particularly horrendous goalkeeping on first viewing.

abkmufc92

They walked through our midfield and defensive but as usual all blame goes to De Gea for conceding the goals.

quadrant

Because while they scored with nearly every shot on target and way overperformed their xG in this game, none of the goals looked like particularly horrendous goalkeeping on first viewing.
FotMob have a post-shot xG of 3.6, fbref won't come out til tomorrow. It was like the City and Villa games again, no actual mistakes as such, but saveable shots are going in. You wouldn't expect a keeper to stop them all, but Id definitely expect a few of them to get stopped.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They walked through our midfield and defensive but as usual all blame goes to De Gea for conceding the goals.
I'm quite sure that other players are getting plenty of blame in their own performance threads.

Sylar

I'm quite sure that other players are getting plenty of blame in their own performance threads.
They are getting it worse and deserved.

Think ddg can do better for the third goal and seventh goal. Not huge mistakes. But the rest happens and is on the defence and midfield.

madzo2007

Are people serious about blaming De Gea for any of the goals. He couldn't do anything about any of them. No matter who we had in nets would have conceded them

Dominos

There were 2 goals from an incredibly tight angle that a top keeper shouldn't be conceding from. He made himself small on one and got megged on the other.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Are people serious about blaming De Gea for any of the goals. He couldn't do anything about any of them. No matter who we had in nets would have conceded them
We conceded 7 goals from 8 shots on target. It would be unusual in the extreme if he was completely faultless in this game and could do no better for any of their goals.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I mean, if anyone thinks that sticking any other goalkeeper in goal today would have made the result any different I don't know what you were watching. Sure, the seventh could have been saved, possibly one more, but most of the goals were unstoppable today.

Sure, there was this one time in the first half he could and should have come out for a high ball. Otherwise there wasn't many crosses he should have claimed. That wasn't the way this game was played.
You are correct. He should not be blamed for the defeat, even if he could've saved one or two goals.
Sometimes the shot is too good to be saved. Sometimes there's an element of luck - on one occasion the striker gets lucky, on another the goalkeeper. This all evens out in the end. And that is why De Gea is an average shot stopper judging by the stats.

He looked like a boy out there today.

Superunknown

There were 2 goals from an incredibly tight angle that a top keeper shouldn't be conceding from. He made himself small on one and got megged on the other.
That's my initial thought, too. The whole team played awful, and whilst he isn't directly to blame, he and the defence still conceded 7 goals. There's no hiding from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.