Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seij

We have persevered with De Gea's lack of ability in playing out, because of his excellent shot stopping ability. I think after today and Brentford, we can safely say that he is finished at an elite level. He is too static, lacks aggression, doesn't come out to stop shots. I think he could have saved at least 2 of Foden's and 1 of Haaland's, by just being switched on.
His shotstopping ability since the WC has been very inconsistent. He'll go through patches of brilliant saves, followed by below average periods. In fact, he's had far more below average periods than the brilliant periods since the WC.

His abilities to shore up the defense, claim crosses, sweep, and pass out from the back are overall probably the worst in the league. And this has been pretty consistent.

If his contract is renewed, then I've completely lost all faith in our board, not that I've had much with begin with.

A new GK should be the #1 priority unless ETH wants to give Henderson a chance.

Irwin99

I might be being harsh given the performance of the full backs and midfield in particular but in replays of the goals at least make a fecking attempt at saving it. Absolute class by Haaland to get the shot away with his studs but come on, keeper should be switched on.

Happens too often.

criticalanalysis

I might be being harsh given the performance of the full backs and midfield in particular but in replays of the goals at least make a fecking attempt at saving it. Absolute class by Haaland to get the shot away with his studs but come on, keeper should be switched on.

Happens too often.
The way he looked at Varane after that goal, which in itself is fair because he should have done better (although it's clear we know now he was injured) but it's typical De Gea. Expects his defenders to cover everything except the 6 yard box.

RuudtheRed

Think blaming him is harsh when he was beaten by a few inch perfect crosses for Haaland and Foden and a number of 1 v 1s. His passing was ok and I didn't think he had much of a chance with any of the goals.

Sgreddevil

He is becoming a liability nowadays. I believed he should be able to prevent at least 2 goals if he is more willing to come off the line more or stronger with corners. You can see that City identified and exploited this weakness. They just need to pass the ball near to his six yard box and get a player to be on the end of it. They knew 9 out of 10 times he will not come out to collect or close off the angle. I did not follow Dúbravka but if he is more willing to come out and sweep the ball, i think we should give him a chance since de gea hasn't been super impressive in his shot stopping recently anyway

Red_toad

The way he looked at Varane after that goal, which in itself is fair because he should have done better (although it's clear we know now he was injured) but it's typical De Gea. Expects his defenders to cover everything except the 6 yard box.
He doesn't even command his 6 yard box. Did nothing of note today, City finished their chances very well and Dave certainly didn't help those around him as he should be doing.

criticalanalysis

He doesn't even command his 6 yard box. Did nothing of note today, City finished their chances very well and Dave certainly didn't help those around him as he should be doing.
I was being generous. I complained in the match day thread about his 'positioning' or rather lack thereof for any ball that into the vicinity of the penalty box. Rooted.

It would be interesting to see his heat map. Genuinely don't think he made any interception/save of the ball outside of the 6 yard box when we didn't have possession.

GlasgowCeltic

Happens too often.
find it so irrationally annoying when he doesn’t dive. it’s like Fellaini deciding he doesn’t want to head the ball, it’s literally all you’re good for

Wheato

Think blaming him is harsh when he was beaten by a few inch perfect crosses for Haaland and Foden and a number of 1 v 1s. His passing was ok and I didn't think he had much of a chance with any of the goals.
He was beaten 3 times at his near post. He didn't even throw an arm or a leg to stop them. If the tables were turned, we wouldn't see a top goalie concede 6 today. He doesn't seem to have any sort of presence in the 6 yard box. He never comes out and clatters someone, he is rooted to his line, and even shots straight down the middle are whistling past him. We need a totally new person in goal. A big, commanding presence that owns the area, comes out and wins crosses, can play with his feet, as well as making game winning saves. David is a bystander all too often. His best years are behind him now, and we aren't going to get what we currently need, from him.

Longshanks

Happens too often.
Scared of the post as per usual and all to happy to pass responsibility onto someone else. See also the second goal when he left it to Malacia, he possibly could of saved it if his initial response isn't the defender will deal with that. Which is pretty much his remit for everything.

CloneMC16

I'm one of his biggest critics and I don't think he can do much with any of the goals we conceded. The whole team was all over the place. Maybe at his absolute best, he pulls off a save for their 3rd.

He should be replaced as a priority in the summer, but I can't blame this on him.

Based Adnan

His playstyle invites pressure and asks more from the defenders than other keepers. We will never look sound defensively with him in goal.

Malone_Post

He is becoming a liability nowadays. I believed he should be able to prevent at least 2 goals if he is more willing to come off the line more or stronger with corners. You can see that City identified and exploited this weakness. They just need to pass the ball near to his six yard box and get a player to be on the end of it. They knew 9 out of 10 times he will not come out to collect or close off the angle. I did not follow Dúbravka but if he is more willing to come out and sweep the ball, i think we should give him a chance since de gea hasn't been super impressive in his shot stopping recently anyway
Becoming?

He’s been a liability for the last 4 years. A few sporadic periods of good form don’t hide the fact that he’s been done as a top level player since the last World Cup. Spain realised this years ago & acted swiftly to replace him. We need to do the same.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s shit. You need a confident aggressive keeper to cover the balls in behind. We have a meek leaf stuck to his line. Should have also saved Foden’s hat trick goal.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His lack of aggression is a problem and always has been. We wouldn't concede the amount of chances, let alone goals we do now if we had a commanding goalkeeper

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
halaands first goal bugs me. Varane is off getting treatment so De Gea should be well aware of this and be more aggressive. That header is an inswinger to the centre of the 6 yard box. De Gea should come punch that. He really needs to be more commanding of his box. The best headers in the game will still only win 70% of their duals. That means De Gea will likely have to make 3 saves from 6 yards on 10 corner kicks. Anticipate this and stop the scoring chance before it happens. The best keepers do things so they don't have to make saves. De Gea just stands there...

Amarsdd

Along with a striker, replacing DDG should be the priority in the next two transfer windows. With him in goal, we’ll never fully see what ETH is supposed to be bring to this team.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
halaands first goal bugs me. Varane is off getting treatment so De Gea should be well aware of this and be more aggressive. That header is an inswinger to the centre of the 6 yard box. De Gea should come punch that. He really needs to be more commanding of his box. The best headers in the game will still only win 70% of their duals. That means De Gea will likely have to make 3 saves from 6 yards on 10 corner kicks. Anticipate this and stop the scoring chance before it happens. The best keepers do things so they don't have to make saves. De Gea just stands there...
He's not gonna change now.

phelans shorts

That goal isn’t on De Gea at all. It’s on the “leadership” on the pitch seeing the man marking Haaland was gone and saying ‘how do we replace this? I know, Christian Eriksen, he might have never won a header in his life but I’m sure this’ll be the one!’

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yep.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That goal isn’t on De Gea at all. It’s on the “leadership” on the pitch seeing the man marking Haaland was gone and saying ‘how do we replace this? I know, Christian Eriksen, he might have never won a header in his life but I’m sure this’ll be the one!’
That cross should have been dealt with by DDG. There’s no way around that fact.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Who do you suggest should have been given the task instead?

phelans shorts

Who do you suggest should have been given the task instead?
I mean the most obvious candidate is clearly McTominay. Eriksen should be just about the last person on the list, behind the likes of Rashford, Martinez, hell even Dalot. How nobody saw an issue with Christian Eriksen being in that position is mind boggling.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I mean the most obvious candidate is clearly McTominay. Eriksen should be just about the last person on the list, behind the likes of Rashford, Martinez, hell even Dalot. How nobody saw an issue with Christian Eriksen being in that position is mind boggling.
Haaland wasn’t their only aerial threat. McTominay can’t mark all their best headers of the ball. Plus he’s not actually that good at winning defensive headers anyway. Despite his height.

All the other players you mention would be poor choices too. They hardly ever get their head at the ball on defensive headers.

Weirdly, I think Ronaldo is missed most of all when we’re defending corners. Throw in a keeper who’s absolutely gash at dominating the six yard box and it’s no wonder we concede so often from set-pieces.

phelans shorts

Haaland wasn’t their only aerial threat. McTominay can’t mark all their best headers of the ball. Plus he’s not actually that good at winning defensive headers anyway. Despite his height.

All the other players you mention would be poor choices too. None of them ever get their head at the ball on defensive headers.

Weirdly, I think Ronaldo is missed most of all when we’re defending corners.
Ronaldo always stands on the far post at corners, he’s not much use.

The fact is Eriksen never wins headers against players his own height, he had no chance against Haaland. He’s a player who’s far too experienced to let himself get into that position, but he did it. The others even if just making themselves a nuisance would have been far more effective.

Longshanks

Yeah ok, what player would normally be in charge of organising the defence at corners.... Oh yeah the GK.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Not directly at fault for any of the goals, but his refusal to come off his line makes it too easy for the opposition. On the balance of things he probably should’ve prevented at least a couple of the goals today by cutting out the crosses.

arthurka

That third goal and the final goal just piss me off. One step out and he collects the pass from KdB and the final goal from Foden at least move an arm towards the fecking ball. He is just not giving anyone any confidence.

Sylar

That's where you need a keeper to take charge and help organise.
Ddg takes blame for that if he's just static given he is in the best position to see everything

Longshanks

We have changed the CB's, changed the FB's changed the midfield, changed the forward line. Yet we still look defensively very vunerable. Surely it's time now after millions spent on different defenders we try and change to a more proactive, more commanding more, more organising GK.

JeffFromHK

anyone think that he should try to make a save for our 2nd goal instead of just standing here and watch malacia to attempt to clear off the line? Haaland's header was not quick at all and he had sufficient time to react.

also, anyone feels that nowadays he seems to fail to react to opponents' shots a lot and just stand there and hope that the shot goes wide? Gundogan's freekick was an example.

dogwithabone

He didn’t throw any in yesterday but his job is stopping shots and headers going in and on that front not a great game.

sideshowbob

Pretty obvious he should have stopped the 2nd (punching the corner ball out) and 6th (near post save) for me.

Anyone else also feel like a proactive keeper would have claimed KdB’s cross for the 3rd? Commentators never pick up on it but he’s rooted to his line letting a ball go in to his 6 yard box.

Hester_manc

Many fans think that Barthez was not good enough for United, and he still had more clean sheets than De Gea in procent.

Bestofthebest

De Gea has been excellent at times for us. However, on either side of those times he was initially weak and indecisive and has now returned to this mode. His major fault is that he thinks his responsibility ends at the six yard box. It is time for him to go and give a younger more eager keeper a chance. Do we have someone lined up? I doubt it.

JeffFromHK

Many fans think that Barthez was not good enough for United, and he still had more clean sheets than De Gea in procent.
It is interesting and ironic that Schmeichel, Barthez, Van Der Sar were all "modern" goalkeepers who were proactive sweepers, loved claiming crosses, and were comfortable with the ball with their feet.

20 years later we are stuck with an "ancient styled" pure shotstopper while most of the 19 other PL teams modernize their goalkeepers.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't think he was overly to blame for any of the indivudual goals. The problem is that when you're constantly rooted to your line you play at least a small part in a lot of goals. Over the course of a season those add up.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We have changed the CB's, changed the FB's changed the midfield, changed the forward line. Yet we still look defensively very vunerable. Surely it's time now after millions spent on different defenders we try and change to a more proactive, more commanding more, more organising GK.
This.

grahamo

Beaten at his near post how many times yesterday? Stuck to his goal line! A schoolboy would know to come out and attempt to close the angle. Terrible performances are the one part of his game that is consistent lately!

Status
Not open for further replies.