Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pickle85

And there lies the problem, my friend. I really don't see how you can't see it.
Their goalkeeper misplaced 1/10 pass. Ours: 1/2. Not only that but the selection of passes were far superior, let alone the weighting of all the passes. I mean, seriously, you watched the game and thought that there was no difference between the keepers?
It's almost like city are a better drilled team, more practiced at both pressing from the front AND making themselves available to play out from the back. Wow, what a revelation. Interested to see the stats that talk about actual goalkeeping but I note those were not included.

NZT-One

okay honestly i overextended our performance given the negativity on here - but I really think we were very good today after we conceded in15 secs.

previous united teams could have lost that 4 or 5 nil. I think we exceeded expectations given the squad that we have - and our goalkeeper playing the way he did.

another big game, another howler
I also thought we did reasonably well in the 1st half. 2nd not so much but still decent. But decent isn't enough to get a win against City. They were better than us and for all the talk about potential howlers, I think they could have upped the level once or twice, don't think we could have done that...

Chairman Steve

I think he's leaving. Very strange to end a season without signing the deal. Can't remember that ever happening before. He's effectively out of contract now in real terms as there's no more training or games to come.

Been a great servant but his time has come.
I get that vibe too. This official signing that is supposed to happen as reported in the media seems very late in the day now. You’d think they would have announced it somewhere in the week just gone.

I’m guessing he’s still waying up offers as he probably isn‘t too happy with the United offer and reluctant to take it.

If we do get a new, competent keeper in the summer, it will become obvious just how much De Gea has been holding us back. City’s reserve keeper looked much better.
Yep. We haven't seen an extended period of time with a keeper other than de Gea in goal for United for over a decade. Our control over games will be night and day if we get a keeper that can 1) command their area and 2) play out of the back. Even if they're just an average shotstopper (de Gea is statistically below average and has been for a few years now) the rest of the team will benefit massively.

justboy68

There are actual people who watch every United game and argue that he is good. Let that sink in for a second
Only thing I can think of is if you only really pay attention for United games it's hard to compare to other keepers over a longer period, like you can with the outfield players. De Gea is miles off the standard these days. His command of the area and distrbution has always been poor and in today's game you just can't have that anymore. Now his shotstopping is not even good. Just needs to go.

Withnail

The stat is useful if talking about Gundogan and how well he did. Completely useless when discussing De Gea though.
Well he really could have done better on both. He wasn't ready for a shot on the first and the second was so slow he really should have gotten across quicker. His defence didn't help him at all though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
When we had Sergio Romero I always said he was no worse than DDG. He was actually better at some aspects of being a keeper too.

Pickle85

City can be more drilled because they trust there GK to play out precisely and cooly under pressure, and even when he went long it was largely on target putting it on De bruynes foot in the middle of the park or picking out haalands head perfectly for the first goal.

De Gea can't be trusted to play out cooly and preciously under pressure, we put ourselves into a nice shape to play out, De Gea shits the bed and just hoofs it in the very general direction of a forward.

That's city's second Keeper aswell by the way showing De Gea's distribution up.

The thing is aswell de Gea has to be the best shot stopper in the world to make up for it, but again today he showed he isn't. Should save the second, arguably should save the first of he is as good as some make him out to be.
Um, nah, City are more drilled because they have probably the world's best football coach in charge, a much better collection of players and a team that is generally more cohesive. I think you'll find we would look much better with those in place. Tbh, it's a bit of a joke if you genuinely believe that city's second choice goalkeeper is a better keeper that ddg. But then I imagine you don't really, you're just exaggerating for effect.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Awful goalkeeper, but flashy saves now and then all his shortcomings get glossed over.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's almost like city are a better drilled team, more practiced at both pressing from the front AND making themselves available to play out from the back. Wow, what a revelation. Interested to see the stats that talk about actual goalkeeping but I note those were not included.
Contributing to possession and building pressure is part of actual goalkeeping. Along with claiming crosses. And sweeping. And communicating with the defence. All things De Gea is terrible at.

But at least he's a world-class shot-stopper, right? Right?

The team that he's in certainly does have some impact on De Gea's distribution being shit. Playing long balls up to Rashford will always give the ball away more often than not because of how poor he is at winning them. Same with many of our other attackers. But De Gea's shit distribution plays just as big a part in why our players struggle to win the ball from his passes. He consistently chooses the wrong passes and either underhits or overhits it compared to where the recipient would want it.

BorisManUtd

Expect him to sign a new contract but we bring in another GK who becomes new number 1. Would be surprised if De Gea leaves really.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Is that a real quote? If so, sums up the massive mindset shift that's taken place since SAF retired. Back then, it didn't matter how good you were or what you had previously achieved, you always had something to prove or you were out the door.

Kag

You’re choosing a really silly hill to die on with De Gea.

Suedesi

OrcaFat

He has to go.

If our players would stop playing the ball back to him (all the way from the attacking corner at times) it wouldn’t matter so much but they put him in possession and he hoofs it. Why not hoof it from the centre circle instead of giving to Dave?

Based Adnan

Is that a real quote? If so, sums up the massive mindset shift that's taken place since SAF retired. Back then, it didn't matter how good you were or what you had previously achieved, you always had something to prove or you were out the door.
It's real but from earlier on this year

SAFMUTD

I get that vibe too. This official signing that is supposed to happen as reported in the media seems very late in the day now. You’d think they would have announced it somewhere in the week just gone.

I’m guessing he’s still waying up offers as he probably isn‘t too happy with the United offer and reluctant to take it.
Hopefully you're right. I hope ten Hag hadn't announced it because he didn't wanted to affect the team's morale but I hope he's seen enough of De Gea to know he's a liability.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Think the tweet is fake.

Reiver

I'm not blaming him for the first goal today but the way he goes lower as the ball rises into the net, its like he's trying to get a better view. The goal was so good that Dave gave it a knee.

Longshanks

Um, nah, City are more drilled because they have probably the world's best football coach in charge, a much better collection of players and a team that is generally more cohesive. I think you'll find we would look much better with those in place. Tbh, it's a bit of a joke if you genuinely believe that city's second choice goalkeeper is a better keeper that ddg. But then I imagine you don't really, you're just exaggerating for effect.
The world's best football coach whos first action was to bin of the unsuited GK and bring in a ball playing keeper because otherwise he wouldn't be able to coach the players to play out from the back with any confidence or success. Was bravo a better pound for pound GK than Hart at the time? Probably not, but the fact he could play was so key to peps philosophy that he made it happen.

That's sort of the point that your missing.

arnie_ni

He has to go.

If our players would stop playing the ball back to him (all the way from the attacking corner at times) it wouldn’t matter so much but they put him in possession and he hoofs it. Why not hoof it from the centre circle instead of giving to Dave?
Yep..so many times we go back from the opposition half to him to hump it long.
It's infuriating

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Hey, are you a real giant talking pickle? Or are you a mere mortal like the rest us who happens to enjoy the odd pickle every now and then?
He's a scientist who turned himself into a pickle

Funniest shit I've ever seen

Pickle85

Contributing to possession and building pressure is part of actual goalkeeping. Along with claiming crosses. And sweeping. And communicating with the defence. All things De Gea is terrible at.

But at least he's a world-class shot-stopper, right? Right?

The team that he's in certainly does have some impact on De Gea's distribution being shit. Playing long balls up to Rashford will always give the ball away more often than not because of how poor he is at winning them. Same with many of our other attackers. But De Gea's shit distribution plays just as big a part in why our players struggle to win the ball from his passes. He consistently chooses the wrong passes and either underhits or overhits it compared to where the recipient would want it.
Nothing I disagree with here, though I do think his 'shit' distribution gets overegged because we are a side that isn't that organized when playing from the back. I totally agree that there are better keepers out there, but think that the relentless around ddg is unwarranted. People have their minds made up and will use anything to bolster their side.
You’re choosing a really silly hill to die on with De Gea.
I'm not dying on any hill. I agree he can be improved upon but I also think that some of the anti ddg brigades are ridiculous.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Should have saved the second one and didnt even attempt the first one, just took a bow and watched it float in.

Whats even worse is his distrubution.

izec

The world's best football coach whos first action was to bin of the unsuited GK and bring in a ball playing keeper because otherwise he wouldn't be able to coach the players to
Not only that, he bought Bravo, who was shite and binned him for the next one that performed to the level he expects.

3KDré

Did you not watch the match? There were several times De Gea had passes available to him but instead he chose not to pass but instead hoof. I also note that you ignored my points such as selecting the correct pass and weighting the pass correctly so that the player can take minimal touches in order to progress the ball quicker both of which are independent of how well coached the team is.

I am not sure how you see things but personally, the disparity in losing possession between the two goalkeepers is too great to solely be down to the single factor that City are better drilled than us. If this were the case then that would mean if you were to put De Gea into a team well drilled playing out from the back that he would perform just as well as other keepers, no? If this were the case then he would be selected for Spain who is one of the best coached sides internationally. Or if you were to also swap the two keepers today that would mean De Gea would perform equally as well, no? If you want to talk about 'actual goalkeeping' then I don't know if you realised but distribution is one of the most key factors in modern goalkeeping.

edgecutter

We have a golden opportunity to start fresh with a new keeper and get his massive wage off our books this summer, but we are so inept we are going to keep this major stumbling block in how we play here.

Status
Not open for further replies.