Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Yes. Exactly that.

To call him a legend compares him to Schmeichel and van der Sar, which is embarrassing. De Gea isn’t half the keeper they both were.
With that sort of logic you'd also have to say that calling VDS a legend is equally as embarrassing as that compares him to Sir Bobby.

Terrible argument.

CloneMC16

Not a legend. Leaving at least 3 years too late. We can finally move on and bring in someone more well rounded.

K Stand Knut

With that sort of logic you'd also have to say that calling VDS a legend is equally as embarrassing as that compares him to Sir Bobby.

Terrible argument.
VdS was a miles better keeper than Sir Bobby.

Not sure what your point or argument is there.

Put De Gea in the ‘legend’ bracket if it makes you happy. He’s far from it IMO and shouldn’t have been here for the last 2 seasons at least

Teja

Another player walking out the door for free. Regardless if you think he's good enough, shouldn't be happening like this. This club couldn't be ran any worse, honestly.
We should be glad that they came to their senses. There was no way we were getting a transfer fee for him after we gave him that monster contract. Even if he retained his pre-contract form, no one would've been willing to pay us money and also take on that contract.

For comparison, Alisson, probably the best GK in the league is on 150k p/w. Courtois, 140k.

Neuer is the only GK in the world in the same pay range as DDG.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
But do you think that we should then put a bargain basement figure on him with 12-18 months left of his contract? Getting £ 10 million for him is better then him leaving for nothing.
We literally would have had to pay other teams to take him so they could cover his wages.

Look at what is happening now, where he's been available for teams to talk to for 6 months and as far as we know not a single European based team has shown interest even though he'd be free. In terms of teams that would want him, he'd have to drop down to a low-level PL team (where he might be lucky to get a bit over a quarter of his current wage) or mid-table in other European leagues (where he'd probably get less than a quarter of his current wage).

Djemba-Djemba

I think it would be a big boost if he's gone.

Sometimes we have to be saved from ourselves, offering Pogba a new contract last year is another example. We're our own worst enemy.

Cloud7

Hopefully that report is true and he really is leaving. Thanks for the years of service but time to move on.

lex talionis

I think it would be a big boost if he's gone.

Sometimes we have to be saved from ourselves, offering Pogba a new contract last year is another example. We're our own worst enemy.
Pogba was out with injury much of this last season so in that sense we dodged a bullet. But if we had had a fit and motivated (which may not be possible) Pogba between Casemiro and Bruno, with Eriksen filling the gaps when called on, our midfield would have been best-of-breed. If giving Pogba that kind of money meant not bringing in Martinez then it of course it would have been insane to keep Pogba, but of keeping Pogba (assuming a fit and motivated Pogba, of course) meant not bringing in Antony and instead using Sancho and Pellistri on the right, we just might have scratched our second place in the PL, but no chance of us toppling City either in the PL or the FA Cup.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
VdS was a miles better keeper than Sir Bobby.

Not sure what your point or argument is there.

Put De Gea in the ‘legend’ bracket if it makes you happy. He’s far from it IMO and shouldn’t have been here for the last 2 seasons at least
I thought my point was pretty obvious, you can be a legend and still not be as good or as iconic as other legends. Otherwise there would only be one at each club.

I don't care if you think DDG isn't one and I'm not even sure I think he is, it was just your reasoning that didn't make any sense to me.

Djemba-Djemba

Pogba was out with injury much of this last season so in that sense we dodged a bullet. But if we had had a fit and motivated (which may not be possible) Pogba between Casemiro and Bruno, with Eriksen filling the gaps when called on, our midfield would have been best-of-breed. If giving Pogba that kind of money meant not bringing in Martinez then it of course it would have been insane to keep Pogba, but of keeping Pogba (assuming a fit and motivated Pogba, of course) meant not bringing in Antony and instead using Sancho and Pellistri on the right, we just might have scratched our second place in the PL, but no chance of us toppling City either in the PL or the FA Cup.
you answered it yourself but that was never going to happen.

Pogba is now crocked, same as Martial.

We got lucky and dodged a huge bullet when he said no to our contract and left.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

I've seen these pointless hypotheticals come up a lot in the Caf over the years.

"If Jones can stay fit next season we'll have a solid back line"
"If Martial can stay fit he'll score plenty of goals"
"If Hargreaves can stay fit we don't need to sign another midfielder"

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He has to be on the releases list for now anyway, contract expiring and no new contract signed yet.

0le

Yeah look, I've been an advocate for him leaving because in recent seasons, golden glove or not, his error rate has gotten worse and his flaws around kicking, communication and bravery have been massively exposed.

That being said I don't hold anything against him, in that he's been a good servant over the years and four or five years back was an unbelievable shot stopper. I hope he moves on as he needs to and so do we and hope he goes on to finish his career at a club that is now more his level.
That's how I feel about it. I defended him for a long time as well, mostly because I did not want to believe the truth which is that he is a major problem for the team moving forwards.

I don't think he quite fits the legendary status, simply because of his decline in recent years and also being part of largely unsuccessful teams. I don't really begrudge anyone calling him a legend. I've probably said it myself in the past. But on reflection, for me, "good servant" is most suitable.

Last edited:

red.knight

DDG has shown us loyalty, we as a fanbase owe him the same. Disappointing level of disrespect shown towards him in my opinion… he was player of the season for us countless times for a reason, he has 'saved’ us from being a bottom-half club plenty of times and even in our poorest seasons where would we have been without him? DDG is still an excellent shot stopper, but after watching a keeper like Onana in the CL final I have to concede that United do need a keeper with that type of ability. The number of chances created on a counter by Onana's distribution and ball playing skills was ridiculous. Would love to see something similar for United. DDG’s only borderline competent at distributing simple passes for the team to build from the back (which is the Ten Hag style, and most successful teams do). He's not a bad keeper really, he's just not really suited for this style of football that we are trying to play. Time to go DDG and have a fresh start somewhere else. Great servant and keeper. If he goes, best of luck.

RedElf

DDG has shown us loyalty, we as a fanbase owe him the same. Disappointing level of disrespect shown towards him in my opinion… he was player of the season for us countless times for a reason, he has 'saved’ us from being a bottom-half club plenty of times and even in our poorest seasons where would we have been without him? DDG is still an excellent shot stopper, but after watching a keeper like Onana in the CL final I have to concede that United do need a keeper with that type of ability. The number of chances created on a counter by Onana's distribution and ball playing skills was ridiculous. Would love to see something similar for United. DDG’s only borderline competent at distributing simple passes for the team to build from the back (which is the Ten Hag style, and most successful teams do). He's not a bad keeper really, he's just not really suited for this style of football that we are trying to play. Time to go DDG and have a fresh start somewhere else. Great servant and keeper. If he goes, best of luck.
Spot on.

Irwin99

Been here 12 years, most times player of the year in our history, most clean sheets in our history .. of course he is.
Yeah that's extremely weird how anyone could NOT consider him a United legend when I think he's 7th on our all time appearance list, has the most appearances of any goalkeeper for us and has been our POTY for a joint record four times. Errr., not a legend huh?! :houllier:

His form really started to dip around that 2018-19 season and he was horrific when we missed out on top 4 that year. Been all downhill since then and I think we've all reached a point now where it has to end. Good luck to him.

AndySmith1990

Yeah that's extremely weird how anyone could NOT consider him a United legend when I think he's 7th on our all time appearance list, has the most appearances of any goalkeeper for us and has been our POTY for a joint record four times. Errr., not a legend huh?! :houllier:

His form really started to dip around that 2018-19 season and he was horrific when we missed out on top 4 that year. Been all downhill since then and I think we've all reached a point now where it has to end. Good luck to him.
He wins POTY by default every time we have a shite season and miss out on top 4

Irwin99

He wins POTY by default every time we have a shite season and miss out on top 4
2 of those 4 wins were when we did make top 4.

I get it, he's been going downhill in performances for a long time and is unsuited to a modern way of playing football (and his shot-stopping is becoming very overrated on here by some) but let's not rewrite history. He was phenomenal at times.

Von Mistelroum

Could be bad for us if he decides to leave. We no longer have the luxury of getting competition, we need a starting GK badly at that point. Everyone knows that too, so we get shafted as usual.

This also means Henderson won't be sold, at least not right away until someone else is secured so that's potentially money lost.

Finally, it means that a keeper becomes our priority and we can't really afford every position so we might end up without a striker for the new season.

lex talionis

The thing is, injuries can happen to any footballer. Countless players whom we regard with the highest admiration such as Ruud van Nistelrooy and Wayne Rooney suffered either serious injuries or were constantly out with niggling injuries. But no one regrets that we had Ruud and Wayne when we had them. We do regret that we have Anthony Martial primarily because even when he's fit he plays like a man who doesn't give a shit.

In hindsight we dodged a bullet with Pogba because we can all see that injuries wrecked him this last season. An appropriate reply would something like "That may well be, lex, but what Pogba's shit attitude under Ralf, Ole and Jose?" Point well taken, but Erik ten Hag is no maniac in the mold of Jose, he is not clueless in the mold of Ole, and he's no interim manager as Ralf was. Erik is a proper manager who has found a way to get the best out of Bruno and Rashford and has done brilliantly with Casemiro. But as it stands right now are without a proper 8 who would have benefitted immensely by having a world class 6 behind him and a world class 10 in front of him.

But this is a thread about David De Gea and apologies are in order for the derail and I apologize. Let's take comfort in knowing that Beth, a talking head on The United Stand, is in heaven now basking in the glory that we've finally gotten rid of De Gea, as so many here also demanded.

Irwin99

If he is leaving that's a massive amount of money that we're saving on wages. A new keeper is probably not even on half of that salary.

Djemba-Djemba

I've seen these pointless hypotheticals come up a lot in the Caf over the years.

"If Jones can stay fit next season we'll have a solid back line"
"If Martial can stay fit he'll score plenty of goals"
"If Hargreaves can stay fit we don't need to sign another midfielder"
Totally agree.

DavelinaJolie

I wonder if Ten Hag's comments after the cup final signalled a change in attitude within the club and caused a change with De Gea.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's good PR for the club. Sounds like they don't want to keep him as anything other than a cheaper backup, but by essentially releasing tidbits to the press like "the club want him to stay but can't reach an agreement" then they look good, as opposed to just not wanting him at all, which is nice, cause he's a club legend.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
He won't have a choice
Could be bad for us if he decides to leave. We no longer have the luxury of getting competition, we need a starting GK badly at that point. Everyone knows that too, so we get shafted as usual.

This also means Henderson won't be sold, at least not right away until someone else is secured so that's potentially money lost.

Finally, it means that a keeper becomes our priority and we can't really afford every position so we might end up without a striker for the new season.
We need two keepers too so we won’t be hanging around waiting for United to get their act together.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ve personally wanted rid for some while so from a playing perspective would be happy to see him leave but if we’ve d.cked around with these negotiations & not allowed the fans to say goodbye I’ll be very disappointed.

Crap now or not, he’s been here what 12 years, yes his form fell off a cliff to end the season but we’ve known all season he’s not a keeper for the long term.

BorisManUtd

He can't stay receving current wages and can't stay guaranteed number 1. Interesting to see what happens over next 2 weeks.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
You can have De Gea if you want. On a free.
No thanks - half a season of Navas has set the bar a bit higher than DDG watching the ball hit the back of the net without reacting. He’d get us relegated.

Kag

We should have made the decision to release him ages ago and done it with some dignity.

We’re still a complete joke.

dinostar77

I think him and his agent are holding out to see a) if he can get a better deal elsewhere and b) if who wins the bid for the club and whether they would offer him more wages.

I think he will stay, not as a defacto no1, but challenging whoever else comes in to start games.

Selling henderson to forest is a no brainer.

Chief123

Wouldn’t be too gutted if we get a decent transfer fee for him from the Middle East.

Status
Not open for further replies.