Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

I’m not about to go all Opta - anyone who watches football can probably see that De Gea makes a high number of notable saves, and likely faces situations where he needs to do so more frequently than most keepers at top clubs.

I can list blunders from every keeper, and they are all ridiculous. The point is, it’s what they do when they are not making blunders that define them. For example, Kepa is rarely making blunders, he’s just consistently being average at keeping the ball out of the goal.
I mostly agree with @sifi36 above in terms of his assessment
It's not about blunders alone, it's a mix of everything.
His inability to cope with high pressure situations has been documented and there's a whole list of examples that really is unbelievable. The fact he's managed to stay at united for so long on high wages is neglect by the club .

I just think it's a meaningless statement you've put out to defend ddg when there is so much evidence on the contrary, whether it's stats, examples or just watching the games.

There's nothing to suggest he's making more saves (better saves) than the average gk.
That along with the other weaknesses in his game show how he's been lucky to have had a number of manager changes

Matt851

Exactly, people do indeed love to break out the sledgehammer of clownery when it comes to David De Gea. No club would take him at the wages he appears to be holding out for, whatever it may be, and that is a fair point to beat him with the sledgehammer. But to suggest that no club in Europe would have him under any circumstances is predictably absurd.
It would be silly to suggest no club in Europe would have him under any circumstances but I strongly doubt anyone was doing that. If he was will to play for a low wage but I very much doubt any top European club is interested in him even were his waves demands reasonable

Sylar

I suspect it probably could. Majority of goalkeepers in the league is not put on some sort of ‘kick watch’ that De Gea is on, and I’ve seen him display very good distribution very often, but the story is basically ‘how does De Gea kick in comparison to Ederson’ essentially. Nick Pope is no better than De Gea and is unanimously praised as a goalkeeper. There is no obsession with his game.
Because the big problem is that as a keeper ddg is poor. When his shot stopping was top notch , his weaknesses were ignored. However without that, what does he have?

Ddg passing obviously comes under scrutiny when united as a top team want to play a certain way under Eth
Same way Joe Hart was scrutinized and dropped as pep joined city.
Surely you see why a like by like comparison between pope and ddg doesn't work the same way ddg and hart does?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I suspect it probably could. Majority of goalkeepers in the league is not put on some sort of ‘kick watch’ that De Gea is on, and I’ve seen him display very good distribution very often, but the story is basically ‘how does De Gea kick in comparison to Ederson’ essentially. Nick Pope is no better than De Gea and is unanimously praised as a goalkeeper. There is no obsession with his game.
When the GK has lot of strong points and few weak points, it's easy to excuse those weak points.

Nick Pope is elite level at catching crosses, sweeping, something DeGea is very poor at. Post 2018 version De Gea is a GK which no significant stronger points. His shot stopping has declined a lot and he is poor at other goalkeeping aspects.

sifi36

When the GK has lot of strong points and few weak points, it's easy to excuse those weak points.

Nick Pope is elite level at catching crosses, sweeping, something DeGea is very poor at. Post 2018 version De Gea is a GK which no significant stronger points. His shot stopping has declined a lot and he is poor at other goalkeeping aspects.
He’s also a similar level of shot stopper to Dea Gea without getting beaten by pea-rollers on a semi-regular basis.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Because Pope is better at literally every other aspect of being a goalkeeper. If De Gea was one of the best sweepers, best cross claimers and best shot-stoppers in the league, him being fairly poor at distribution would be annoying but it wouldn't be focused on anywhere near as much. Do you think Pope would be getting 'unanimously praised' if he was one of the worst sweepers, worst cross claimers and only an above average shot-stopper, while also being poor at distribution?

lex talionis

It would be silly to suggest no club in Europe would have him under any circumstances but I strongly doubt anyone was doing that. If he was will to play for a low wage but I very much doubt any top European club is interested in him even were his waves demands reasonable
Your doubts may be eased by recalling that Manchester United is a top European club.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
There's two weeks left on his contract and no news - I think he's leaving honestly. I'd assume Ten Hag has told him he will no longer be an automatic starter and the contract offer is in line with that.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Before all the toxicity kicks in, thank you David De Gea and best of luck for the future. A world class shot stopper, just a shame the game has evolved past him.

RonaldoVII

That would be best for both parties.
Would it be though? Henderson wants to leave (and rightly should), as does Heaton. If De Gea leaves too we arguably need 3 goalkeepers? A year more of De Gea on a heavily reduced contract wouldn't be bad if we replaced Henderson with someone to compete with him. I don't think we have the budget to sign a top replacement.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ooh interesting. I do think he should leave but it will still be sad at the same time. I do really like him and he's offered a lot to this club.

I really hope we don't see any 'good riddance' style posts.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ridiculous if he genuinely expected to retain his current salary.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
OH SHIT. Feel bad to be happy about him leaving but genuinely this is the best move for all parties. Thanks for the service Dave, but it's way overdue to move on from each other. Glad he was able to end his time with a trophy and the clean sheet record. Will always be a legend, but it is way past time. This is honestly one of the best bits of news that could have happened this summer in terms of our squad rebuild for next season.

mikeyt

Before all the toxicity kicks in, thank you David De Gea and best of luck for the future. A world class shot stopper, just a shame the game has evolved past him.
Yeah look, I've been an advocate for him leaving because in recent seasons, golden glove or not, his error rate has gotten worse and his flaws around kicking, communication and bravery have been massively exposed.

That being said I don't hold anything against him, in that he's been a good servant over the years and four or five years back was an unbelievable shot stopper. I hope he moves on as he needs to and so do we and hope he goes on to finish his career at a club that is now more his level.

prateik

He has been great but we really should be looking for a better/different #1.

Remember the geese

Would it be though? Henderson wants to leave (and rightly should), as does Heaton. If De Gea leaves too we arguably need 3 goalkeepers? A year more of De Gea on a heavily reduced contract wouldn't be bad if we replaced Henderson with someone to compete with him. I don't think we have the budget to sign a top replacement.
Heaton is staying for another year. £50-60m needed for a new number one and then a cheap backup who suits our style of play.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Better wait until it's actually announced he's leaving, lest we see more toxicity when he signs on.

Valencia Shin Crosses

OH SHIT. Feel bad to be happy about him leaving but genuinely this is the best move for all parties. Thanks for the service Dave, but it's way overdue to move on from each other. Glad he was able to end his time with a trophy and the clean sheet record. Will always be a legend, but it is way past time. This is honestly one of the best bits of news that could have happened this summer in terms of our squad rebuild for next season.
Serious question: why is he a legend?

KD6-3.7

It’s such a strange state of affairs that De Gea leaving would be the highlight of the transfer window even if we just end up with a stop gap GK. It’s the best move for both parties that De Gea leaves.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think it really all depends on if you manage to bring in Onana or Costa.

ash_86

Great decision. This club needs a modern keeper to kick start our play from the back. DDG is a legend of the club, glad that he is going out with Golden glove. Probably best for all parties.

K Stand Knut

Been here 12 years, most times player of the year in our history, most clean sheets in our history .. of course he is.
He categorically isn’t!!!

And, yea, this is a personal opinion but I find his number of PotY awards embarrassing.

No GK of a top club should ever win it. He only won it because of the absolute dross that was served up in front of him

quadrant

Lets wait and see, I expect this to drag on a bit longer. I don't think anyone really expects him to go to any other big club, and to be fair DDG will believe in his own ability, so he might want to see who he's up against before committing to stay and fight for a place from the bench or leave.

Clearly if we punt £60M+ on Onana or Costa or some other big name, we're going to give that person plenty of game time, so he might go then. But if he's up against either a young keeper or a relatively short-term stop gap like Yan Sommer (for example) then he might fancy his chances of getting into the team and be prepared to gamble. Despite what's written there, I seriously doubt he expects to stay on the same wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.