Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sifi36

Schmeichl and DeGea were also pretty inexperienced of playing and period of time at a top level, only Vn de Sar had lots of experience before coming.

I dont think the Dutch league is really considered as top level experience, it is a very weak league in comparison to others in Europe, though he got great experience in the champions league. Could also argue Serie A hasnt been a top league for some time.

The reason I said I am not totally convinced by Onana is I am just not sure he is a top level keeper. I hink he is great under pressure with his feet, but the other areas I dont see him as a big top quality keeper just a decent one.....is such an obsession with keepers and there feet and not other atributes, you yourself have stated he is a top level player....purely on that attribute. I am just 100% not convinced by any of the keepers we are being linked with in all honesty. I havent seen Costa but I am not so sure any others are ready to be the new number one here and handle the burden, thogh it is something we need and Onana seems another one who is a good keeper but maybe getting overhyped due to his clubs success this season and his modern style with the feet....I mean I cant remember seeing him or Maignan gettign mentioned often a yer or two ago
  • Disregarding the Dutch and Italian leagues implies that one should only be buying players from English clubs, as no other league is the same level. This would be stupid and unworkable for many reasons. It would mean the best goalkeeper in the world (Alisson) shouldn't have been been bought from AS Roma because his elite performances don't count as they were in Serie A.
  • Our current keeper is terrible, amongst the worst playing anywhere in Europe at claiming crosses and sweeping. Onana is well above average at both of these.
  • De Gea is also mediocre at best at passing and uncomfortable under pressure - Onana is elite at both these things
  • De Gea makes too many mistakes to be considered an elite shot-stopper anymore. Onana has outperformed him on shot-stopping metrics for the majority of the last three years.
  • We already have a keeper who isn't coping with the pressure and hasn't done for around 5 years. He makes a disproportionate number of mistakes despite the fact that he is incredibly risk averse. A new keeper is not having to exceed a high bar.
  • Plenty of people on this board and elsewhere identified Maignan as exceptional when he was at Lille, he was an obvious statistical outlier back then, even on freely available statistics - see here
  • Onana wasn't spoken about the same way as Eredivisie data was not widely available until this season
  • 10% of our keeper's touches are saves. The other 90% of the time it's build-up, sweeping, cross-claiming and long progression. That's why any manager not stuck in 1997 values these things more and fans like yourself need to catch up
By your logic, unless the lovechild of Neuer and Yahsin were available we shouldn't sign them. Alongside a striker, goalkeeper is the position holding us back the most from playing like an elite team.

For an example of what a difference it can make: Brighton swapped Robert Sanchez for Jason Steele (hardly an elite goalkeeper) and since the switch, every single measurable metric has them performing second only to City in terms of build-up, possession and chance creation. You do not need the best player in the world in each position - just ones that suit the way you want to play. Onana does and De Gea does not.

Kaos

Take the Saudi money Dave please.

Best this gets wrapped up quickly, then we can give him the testimonial vs Atletico he deserves and send him off as a club legend.

Sylar

• Disregarding the Dutch and Italian leagues implies that one should only be buying players from English clubs, as no other league is the same level. This would be stupid and unworkable for many reasons. It would mean the best goalkeeper in the world (Alisson) shouldn't have been been bought from AS Roma because his elite performances don't count as they were in Serie A.
  • Our current keeper is terrible, amongst the worst playing anywhere in Europe at claiming crosses and sweeping. Onana is well above average at both of these.
  • De Gea is also mediocre at best at passing and uncomfortable under pressure - Onana is elite at both these things
  • De Gea makes too many mistakes to be considered an elite shot-stopper anymore. Onana has outperformed him on shot-stopping metrics for the majority of the last three years.
  • We already have a keeper who isn't coping with the pressure and hasn't done for around 5 years. He makes a disproportionate number of mistakes despite the fact that he is incredibly risk averse. A new keeper is not having to exceed a high bar.
  • Plenty of people on this board and elsewhere identified Maignan as exceptional when he was at Lille, he was an obvious statistical outlier back then, even on freely available statistics - see here
  • Onana wasn't spoken about the same way as Eredivisie data was not widely available until this season
  • 10% of our keeper's touches are saves. The other 90% of the time it's build-up, sweeping, cross-claiming and long progression. That's why any manager not stuck in 1997 values these things more and fans like yourself need to catch up
By your logic, unless the lovechild of Neuer and Yahsin were available we shouldn't sign them. Alongside a striker, goalkeeper is the position holding us back the most from playing like an elite team.

For an example of what a difference it can make: Brighton swapped Robert Sanchez for Jason Steele (hardly an elite goalkeeper) and since the switch, every single measurable metric has them performing second only to City in terms of build-up, possession and chance creation. You do not need the best player in the world in each position - just ones that suit the way you want to play. Onana does and De Gea does not.
If we're looking at dismissing seria a also, hasn't the option mentioned played his whole career in Italy? That part was baffling to me

El Jefe

Only we could make such a slam dunk look like such hard work.

Through no hard evidence, I think we'd offered him the contract and promised him we were keeping him for ages as EtH and the club had hinted at. I feel his feckups in the last third of the season then brought about an "oh shit" moment where the club realised a mistake was made and then tried putting it out there he'd be No.2 in an effort to dissuade him from agreeing.

He clearly should've been let go. We should have communicated this before the end of the season and let him get his deserved farewell.

DDG as a No.2 makes zero sense. Unnecessary pressure for the No.1 and he'd be by far the highest earning backup goalie. Past it goalie unfit for a modern style of play. It's such an easy decision.

Sylar

Only we could make such a slam dunk look like such hard work.

Through no hard evidence, I think we'd offered him the contract and promised him we were keeping him for ages as EtH and the club had hinted at. I feel his feckups in the last third of the season then brought about an "oh shit" moment where the club realised a mistake was made and then tried putting it out there he'd be No.2 in an effort to dissuade him from agreeing.

He clearly should've been let go. We should have communicated this before the end of the season and let him get his deserved farewell.

DDG as a No.2 makes zero sense. Unnecessary pressure for the No.1 and he'd be by far the highest earning backup goalie. Past it goalie unfit for a modern style of play. It's such an easy decision.
I agree with what you're saying, but also see the point others have made (eg @MadDogg?)
Ddg at the best of times Is dodgy with pressure. Telling him he's done, whilst we're still in cups and top4 to fight for, would probably destroy him and thus the team.

I think where we got it wrong was publicly saying he's gonna sign, we will make sure he's here etc.
We just needed to say it will be sorted at the end of the season, and we will do what's best for all parties but we focus on ending the season on a high first.

El Jefe

I agree with what you're saying, but also see the point others have made (eg @MadDogg?)
Ddg at the best of times Is dodgy with pressure. Telling him he's done, whilst we're still in cups and top4 to fight for, would probably destroy him and thus the team.

I think where we got it wrong was publicly saying he's gonna sign, we will make sure he's here etc.
We just needed to say it will be sorted at the end of the season, and we will do what's best for all parties but we focus on ending the season on a high first.
This is a good point that I didn't consider. But I guess he was already under pressue with the contract uncertainty.

I also think the possibility of him winning the golden glove increased his concentration a bit. It would have been great for him to celebrate that and his farewell.

I agree Ten Hag didn't play it cautious enough in the media. He almost sounded like he was championing a new contract when there was no need to IMO. Especially as reports are claiming he's the one that's informed DDG he'll be No.2.

quadrant

Im not really sure what to think of this situation. I guess what really matters is who's in net on the first day of preseason, or at worst, the first day of the real season. But the situation does feel messy and perhaps is an indication of a lack of clarity over what we actually want here. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a split behind the scenes over what do to and we're kind of fudging it in public. Still, lets wait and see what the outcome is.

gajender

Im not really sure what to think of this situation. I guess what really matters is who's in net on the first day of preseason, or at worst, the first day of the real season. But the situation does feel messy and perhaps is an indication of a lack of clarity over what we actually want here. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a split behind the scenes over what do to and we're kind of fudging it in public. Still, lets wait and see what the outcome is.
I believe situation is far more clear behind the scene I may be proven wrong but I never got the impression We were actually interested in renewing De Gea and Ten Hag De Gea 's public show of confidence and defense felt oddly contrived and bit of media management.

Even when there was noise of his new contract being agreed I stated here De Gea would leave and Club are just managing his exit by making it seem like we couldn't come to an agreement rather that we released him , similar outcome but more Dignified for De Gea .

All conjecture still could be proven spectacularly wrong but I hope not .

jesperjaap

• De Gea makes too many mistakes to be considered an elite shot-stopper anymore. Onana has outperformed him on shot-stopping metrics for the majority of the last three years.Threadmarks

Eh? When did I say those leagues should be disregarded? I simply answered the fact you said Onana has loads of experience at the very top level, which is nonsense as he has only been at Inter one season and been playing in the Dutch league before. Of course the German and Spanish leagues as well as the premiership are ahead of the Dutch league, that doesnt mean we shouldn tsign him, I never said that, simply that your statement of his experience at the top level isnt true bar champions league football.

Also never disputed we shouldnt be looking to replace David DeGea.

You can make up these 90% v 10% stats and throw in about having to catch up, I still stick to my original statement, Onana is a decent keeper, he isnt a great one, he isnt value at £50m and he certainly isnt as you put it "elite". I dont see a commanding keeper, I actually get the feeling he would fail here.

Of course either argument is complete invalid unless we do sign him and then we would see. I dont rate him that highly, dont need some waffling lecture in response full of condesceding drivel though thanks

peridigm

Replacing DDG will be the start to a new era. He's been a great keeper but it's time to move on.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A deal could be agreed after his contract has expired. There were reports (if I'm not mistaken) that he will be there for the start of the preseason even if he hasn't signed a contract yet.
Proof positive that he isn’t good enough. The notion that a keeper good enough for Manchester United would not be snapped up the moment his contract expires is, obviously, ridiculous.

Rake

Proof positive that he isn’t good enough. The notion that a keeper good enough for Manchester United would not be snapped up the moment his contract expires is, obviously, ridiculous.
Oh, I agree 100%. He is not good enough and on stupid wages to boot. The good thing is that he will free 20 mil in wages and the Henderson sale should fund a big chunk of the Onana fee (if we sign him).

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Surely there are clubs out there that need him? Not everyone needs a sweeper keeper. Maybe he is asking for too high of a salary.

criticalanalysis

Playing devil's advocate, on the other hand perhaps ETH played a blinder by being so outwardly encouraging. 'Professional/media' talk like what you've suggested could is very ambiguous and like you said, De Gea crumbles at the pressure. If anything ETH's treatment of De Gea and players like Maguire etc has been exemplary in the media front as he's said nothing but praise and embellished his commitment to them. In our keeper, he's arguably played some of his best form for a while (and even then that wasn't enough with his big errors) and unfortunately for Maguire, he's just never recovered despite being given plenty of opportunities. Hopefully both will leave on good terms as that's what's best for the club now.

gajender

What if it’s Mount and Onana or Caicedo and De Gea?
Mount and Onana for me over Caicedo and De Gea .
Infact Even if it's a straight choice between Mount or Caicedo then also Mount for me both aren't exactly Obvious fits but Still Mount suits United current needs way better than Caicedo .

AnotherLondonManc

This guy couldn't tell his arse from his elbow. He's not been able to get a better keeper than de gea for years and he's our goalkeeping scout. When someone does buy the club a massive clear out of shite is needed.
DeGea has been one of the best keepers in the world for much of his career with us. Only in the last 2 years has he started to decline (dramatically).

If this lad was behind the signing of DeGea when he was still young and relatively unknown, he's played a blinder so no fault there.

At this moment, whether or not we sign a new keeper rests with Ten Hag, and how highly he values a new keeper over an outfield player with our limited budget.

edgecutter

DeGea has been one of the best keepers in the world for much of his career with us. Only in the last 2 years has he started to decline (dramatically).

If this lad was behind the signing of DeGea when he was still young and relatively unknown, he's played a blinder so no fault there.

At this moment, whether or not we sign a new keeper rests with Ten Hag, and how highly he values a new keeper over an outfield player with our limited budget.
The decline has been evident since he signed that long term deal. As far as scouting goes, it is just beyond me how we didn't have someone lined up to replace De Gea before his contract was up, and also to ahve a decnet number 2 instead of Heaton or Butland. The scouting is shocking at the club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

De Gea and the club just staring at the agreed contract waiting for the other to sign it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Disagree. De Gea started declining from the World Cup 2018. He hasn’t been world class since.
Yeah, I think that the poor quality of our squad these past few years has made De Gea look better. He's been one of the better performers in a bad team - that doesn't mean he has been good. As our overall standards improve so does our standards for the first choice keeper. I thank him for his service but we really need to find an alternative to him. When Romero joined it had a positive effect on De Gea, so if it's possible it would be great to keep him and have him compete with another potential number 1. But not if it means giving him a first choice salary. He's just not worth it.

Marcelinho87

The decline has been evident since he signed that long term deal. As far as scouting goes, it is just beyond me how we didn't have someone lined up to replace De Gea before his contract was up, and also to ahve a decnet number 2 instead of Heaton or Butland. The scouting is shocking at the club.
Eh he said nothing of note, it was a diplomatic answer not dragging De Gea through the mud who he has worked with for years and not dismissing the need for a new keeper.

Blood Mage

Legend of the club but surely it's time for both parties to move on. We can't play the way Ten Hag wants to with De Gea between the sticks, keeping him would be a money saving exercise nothing more.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's been 5 years since his decline (the start of 18/19). Hell, his last two seasons have actually been a bit of an improvement over the two before that. Still nowhere near good enough, but at least he hasn't been as big of a weakness as he was.

Jurgen Plopp

This Lad is an Ex Man City Keeper and he has played a blinder - got us Degea and we have won next to nothing since and his Keeper helped City to the Treble.

Bought for £25 million around the same time Neuer went to Bayern For £16 million.

We could play Henderson, the only United Keeper to conceed under a goal a game in the last 5 years - as we have a limited budget - and save £20 million a year on Degea wages.

Seij

He has been the goalkeeper scout for us since 2020, so no he didn't have anything to do with signing ddg.

RopersReturn

Key to where we’ve generally been going wrong for years, the scouting has been horrendous.

edgecutter

He has been the goalkeeper scout for us since 2020, so no he didn't have anything to do with signing ddg.
The fact that he hasn't been able to identify a better up and coming keeper is shocking. Anyone with eyes could see de gea was becoming a liability.

Rake

The fact that he hasn't been able to identify a better up and coming keeper is shocking. Anyone with eyes could see de gea was becoming a liability.
Ehm, he is a scout not a DoF... He can identify 100 better keepers but is up to the club if they want to buy one of them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

De Gea and the club just staring at the agreed contract waiting for the other to sign it.
The fact that there is doubt shows it should not be signed.
It’s time to move on and I love Dave.

gajender

What are you on about do you even have any Idea what's the role of Scouts is , he is not fecking recruitment head , DOF or a manager who actually decide on the final targets .

Scouts can identify all the talents in the world but they unfortunately aren't the decision makers might have limited input but that's about it .

Status
Not open for further replies.