David De Gea

Hanky panky

I guess he will leave. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some gentlemen's agreement between him and club. Sign a contract extension and you can go after two season if the price is right... I think he just wants to go back to Spain. And Real Madrid is big thing and especially to spanish players.

I dont want he goes but i understand him.

red thru&thru

It doesn't matter whether or not we have a desire to keep him. If he wants to go to Madrid, he will be allowed to do so. He's been a good enough servant over the years to where we wouldn't block him from moving if he wanted it and we certainly wouldn't put unrealistic conditions on the transfer - such as expecting Madrid to give us players, which almost never happens in football.
Of course we'll let him go but as I said before, we hold all the cards. Just like we did when we sold Ronaldo for a then world record fee.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's strange. Half of me would be okay with him leaving because he's been terrific for the club and he deserves a chance to go home if that's what he really wants. The other half of me realises that we'd be selling him to Real Madrid and I'd rather send them a matchbox full of spiders.

Eddy_JukeZ

The only think I'm dreading is the media narrative his successor is going to have to deal with. Every single mistake is going to be studied to the nth degree and blown out of proportion.
Similar to De Gea himself when replacing Van Der Sar.

I remember the media were on him constantly his 1st season.

Kammy26

Of course we'll let him go but as I said before, we hold all the cards. Just like we did when we sold Ronaldo for a then world record fee.
Exactly if real don't pay an amount that we want I am sure we will make him stay. I wouldn't expect any trouble of him if he did stay because it's a World Cup year next year and he will want to be playing regularly.

itso 7

Two years ago. It also depends who else they are targeting I think.
We shouldn't give a flying feck what they want or are able to pay and if they try to get him on the cheap through lowball offers DDG could also see it as playing games and them not being serious about wanting him. We should just name our price and give them a 30 June deadline to complete the signing.

dove

I think he personally wants to leave and that is completely understandable. Madrid is his home and Real are probably the best team in the world right now. We can't really offer him much apart from money and we played more in EL than CL in the last few years so I don't think we match his expectations. But the thing is, do Real really need him? They seem to do just fine with the team they have right now and if they decide to splash the cash on a new galactico, I would expect it to be a player like Mbappe, not a goalkeeper.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
We shouldn't give a flying feck what they want or are able to pay and if they try to get him on the cheap through lowball offers DDG could also see it as playing games and them not being serious about wanting him. We should just name our price and give them a 30 June deadline to complete the signing.
Well of course we should and imo Real will be reluctant to pay the price we want.

KristianMackle

DDG will not be sold to Madrid especially with Jose at the helm. However I don't really care one way or the other if he leaves. I'm more concerned about buying better defenders, a CM in the mold of Kanté and devastating finishers.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If the favourites win in the European finals then the Super Cup will be spicy. So much tension between the clubs. Big Dave will write the headlines no matter what happens.

Esquire

Yes, that's what I'm saying ;)
Don't want Dave to leave either but you can't really keep a player who wants to leave. You are right we can play hardball then we end up with a disgruntled player. If we can get top dollar for him we should sell. It's a bit difficult with Dave as he is from Madrid after all.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Really indifferent about this. He's a great player, but we're not really dependent on him. We'll take Madrid for stupid money, get a high earner off our wage bill and replace him internally. Gives us more money to bolster the rest of our team.

Romero is quality and deserves a shot.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
He deserves his chance at Madrid after 6 great years. Shame we couldn't give him more major trophies

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If/when he leaves then I wish him the best. He's performed brilliantly for us after a tough start to his United career & deserves to be playing in a team that is challenging for titles/CLs.

Would still prefer if DDG stayed though, best keeper in the world imo. But I think under Jose our defence has improved (and will continue to improve) so I am ok with Dave going & United giving Romero a season to prove himself as #1.

AngliaRed

I want DDG to stay, however he deserves the choice of where he wants to play. He could of let his head drop after the transfer fell through but he didn't, he cracked on and produced brilliant performances.

IMO I don't think Romero is ready to just step into our #1 yet as he's not really been tested against top teams. I'm all for him proving he's good enough with a solid display Wednesday and having a good pre season if DDG goes to Madrid though. It's a tough one, because he's Argentinas #1 and I haven't wanted any of their games in years to give a knowledgable opinion on him, just what I've seen at united.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maybe you guys are right. That he deserves to leave. But only for his actually value, which in today's market is probably a lot higher than Real are willing to pay.

AngliaRed

Maybe you guys are right. That he deserves to leave. But only for his actually value, which in today's market is probably a lot higher than Real are willing to pay.
Just remember Liverpool paid 35mil to Newcastle for Andy Carroll.

Surely DDG is worth 50? Plus he has a long contract still to run!

shaky

If Buffon moved for £30m+ over 15 years ago, Dave is worth at least £80m in today's market.

ants7

Can someone explain me if there's any reason (besides their ego) why Real Madrid would actually need to replace Keylor Navas with de Gea? I've watched number of RM games and I can't see that de Gea would be a noticeable upgrade on Navas..

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Can someone explain me if there's any reason (besides their ego) why Real Madrid would actually need to replace Keylor Navas with de Gea? I've watched number of RM games and I can't see that de Gea would be a noticeable upgrade on Navas..
Since when was that the only guiding factor in their transfer dealings? They had a good few years where their team lacked balance but certainly not top players. De Gea represents a bit of an image makeover, increases Spanish nationals in the side, and he happens to be one of the best goal keepers in the world, if not the best.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Dave is world class and I will miss him but we cant have this hanging over us every summer and its obvious he wants to go. Its for the best that we get a record (GK) fee for him and move on with someone who is/would be happy living in Manchester.

Water Melon

It doesn't matter whether or not we have a desire to keep him. If he wants to go to Madrid, he will be allowed to do so. He's been a good enough servant over the years to where we wouldn't block him from moving if he wanted it and we certainly wouldn't put unrealistic conditions on the transfer - such as expecting Madrid to give us players, which almost never happens in football.
De Gea has been paid quite adequately for his services. We owe him nothing, neither does he to us. He signed the contract that we offered. He is obliged to stick to it, just as it is upon Utd to pay. We will ask for a huge amount to let De Gea leave. Real need him more than we need their ~ 40 million euros.

Reddevildans

Looking back now 80m for Ronaldo seems a bargain. And considering the inflated market now if we do decide to sell de gae we need to stay stubborn and sell for no less than 60-65m for one of the best keepers in the world. Let's throw in some add ons too.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
De Gea has been paid quite adequately for his services. We owe him nothing, neither does he to us. He signed the contract that we offered. He is obliged to stick to it, just as it is upon Utd to pay. We will ask for a huge amount to let De Gea leave. Real need him more than we need their ~ 40 million euros.
That's not how it works unfortunately. If a player in good standing makes a discrete request for a transfer, the club has little recourse but to sell, especially when De Gea's last transfer was thwarted at the last second by faxgate.

Water Melon

That's not how it works unfortunately. If a player in good standing makes a discrete request for a transfer, the club has little recourse but to sell, especially when De Gea's last transfer was thwarted at the last second by faxgate.
I am sure Mou will get us paid as much as we want for De Gea. I also do not quite believe in the faxgate :) Multi million super important transfer between two clubs with vast resources will never ever depend on a fax machine. However, an entire history of a huge club can depend on a sperm drop of a stallion, so you never know how things may pan out.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can this thread be closed please, don't need this De Gea leaving nonsense throwing shade on the buzz that is the Griezmann thread

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Same deal as last time with nagas coming our way?
The last deal rated him at 40m euros. If he goes, we'll be getting almost double that.
I don't understand why so many think this is done and dusted.
I simply can't see Madrid spending that much on a keeper.