David Luiz

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He was always a good athlete with a poor sense of positioning which got him in trouble. I think the athletic side of his game is degrading now too.

I still maintain that the 7-1 was largely this guys fault. I remember watching it in Brazil and couldn’t believe where he was, especially after just conceding. He is risky danger at the best of times and a complete liability at the worst.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
And people said he'd be a good signing for them :lol:

Red Stone

The ultimate meme player. His hair is a meme, his diving is a meme, his price tag is a meme, his "defending" is a meme and he used to be legendary on FIFA.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He has the best trophy cabinet out of all the shit players I’ve seen.

Portuguese league and 3 cups

Premier league, 2 FA cups, champions league and 2 Europa leagues

2 French league titles, 3 french cups and an international trophy with Brazil.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He was always a good athlete with a poor sense of positioning which got him in trouble. I think the athletic side of his game is degrading now too.

I still maintain that the 7-1 was largely this guys fault. I remember watching it in Brazil and couldn’t believe where he was, especially after just conceding. He is risky danger at the best of times and a complete liability at the worst.
My wife has no interest in football but even she copped that Luiz was flapping about all game in that match. She kept asking me why he was never where he was meant to be.!!

He's done well to make a career in football. Very well.

el3mel

That was one terrible signing. Not sure what Arsenal were thinking about when they signed him. He has been a clown for years. Were they expecting anything different ?

lysglimt

Scout
It takes a lot to make 2 mistakes that lead to goals and get 1 red card in 35 minutes

LARulz

Not related to football but I find it hard to hate him. I've met him in real life and he is actually such a nice blood (or was when I met him)

Sanchez7

My wife has no interest in football but even she copped that Luiz was flapping about all game in that match. She kept asking me why he was never where he was meant to be.!!

He's done well to make a career in football. Very well.
He has never been a great defender but to suggest that he has somehow lucked his way to a thirteen year career at the top level is laughable. He is pretty good on the ball, has good technique but has always been error prone in his defending.

el3mel

Not related to football but I find it hard to hate him. I've met him in real life and he is actually such a nice blood (or was when I met him)
Maybe outside the pitch he's a nice guy, but on it nah it's easy to hate him. Remember when he cheated to get Rafael sent off, and was pictured laughing ?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm not sure, Maguire you should get 10 years out of but is he as good as Luiz who has won the CL and multiple league titles in 3 countries? Obviously Luiz has a mistake in him but his ball playing abilities are world class.
I've asked you this before and got no response so I'll try again. Are you sure yet?

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
DT on AFTV "My 4 year old is on Fifa playing the ****ing Europa League because thats the song he knows. He doesn't know what the champions league is."

OleBoiii

So he comes on as a substitute and manages to do the following in 25 minutes:

1. Huge blunder, leading to a goal.
2. Cause a needless penalty, leading to a goal.
3. Get a red card.

Perfect hat-trick, imo.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
He has never been a great defender but to suggest that he has somehow lucked his way to a thirteen year career at the top level is laughable. He is pretty good on the ball, has good technique but has always been error prone in his defending.
Yep. How he has spent the most of his career as a CB is a mystery to me. Too late now, but he had the qualities to make a good career as a DM imo.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Wasn't Luiz pretty decent when he played the holding role for Chelsea ?

Tiber

He has started so many games for various top clubs but I have never even vaguely rated him

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn't Luiz pretty decent when he played the holding role for Chelsea ?
He was overall decent - the spell you're referring to was in 2013-14 under Mourinho. During the second half of the season he and Matic were a formidable physical partnership, but in some ways this seemed to exacerbate some of his worst tendencies - he was not diligent in tracking back (especially against poorer opposition), he was prone to taking silly shots & wasting possession, and he never really learned how to pass and move to allow for quick combinations. Given his physical attributes, he'd be best served as a deep lying regista / sweeper, but the problem is he has never been disciplined enough defensively to stay back and play patiently (at least at that point in his career).

That said, he was undeniably brilliant at the heart of Chelsea's 3 man defense in 16/17, and had seemingly learned to play more conservatively & within the team structure. I will always content though that his late stage career was altered by the horrendous challenge Aguero put in on him at the end of the 3-1 Chelsea win at the Etihad - his knee was never the same and he lost so much of the pace & aerial ability that allowed him to recover from some of his rash decision-making.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He was overall decent - the spell you're referring to was in 2013-14 under Mourinho. During the second half of the season he and Matic were a formidable physical partnership, but in some ways this seemed to exacerbate some of his worst tendencies - he was not diligent in tracking back (especially against poorer opposition), he was prone to taking silly shots & wasting possession, and he never really learned how to pass and move to allow for quick combinations. Given his physical attributes, he'd be best served as a deep lying regista / sweeper, but the problem is he has never been disciplined enough defensively to stay back and play patiently (at least at that point in his career).

That said, he was undeniably brilliant at the heart of Chelsea's 3 man defense in 16/17, and had seemingly learned to play more conservatively & within the team structure. I will always content though that his late stage career was altered by the horrendous challenge Aguero put in on him at the end of the 3-1 Chelsea win at the Etihad - his knee was never the same and he lost so much of the pace & aerial ability that allowed him to recover from some of his rash decision-making.
That game was by far the best game in a Chelsea shirt, in that first half he stood up and kept us in it while Moses, Cahill, Alonso and even Azpi all completely lost the plot. It's games like that that was why he did have his supporters, when fully switched on he's truly capable of 10/10 performances vs any team.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Thanks for the detailed summary of his role during that particular period.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That game was by far the best game in a Chelsea shirt, in that first half he stood up and kept us in it while Moses, Cahill, Alonso and even Azpi all completely lost the plot. It's games like that that was why he did have his supporters, when fully switched on he's truly capable of 10/10 performances vs any team.
Would have to respectfully disagree - for me his best game was the CL final when he was playing on one leg. That penalty he scored was so vital and remains one of the best I've ever seen given the context.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

Thats my favourite Chelsea away game in the last 5 years. I'm going to now watch the highlights. All 3 goals we scored were incredible counters, especially the second which is easily the best counter attack I've seen live.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Thats my favourite Chelsea away game in the last 5 years. I'm going to now watch the highlights. All 3 goals we scored were incredible counters, especially the second which is easily the best counter attack I've seen live.

Yeah brilliant stuff - if we're limiting things to the last 5 years that match is up there for me, especially as it pretty much single handedly ended City's title chances given the Aguero & Fernandinho suspensions