David Luiz

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That would mean they have to play Mustafi?
They played it a fair bit last season. Think they're waiting for Holding, Bellerin and Tierney to all get fit and then you might see a 3-5-2.

Luiz in a back 4 is tragic though. Too easily exposed and we know he's pretty poor 1 v 1. It worked well at Chelsea when in back 3 as he could step up into midfield and beside him you had Cahill and Azpilicueta who were just happy defending.

haram

They played it a fair bit last season. Think they're waiting for Holding, Bellerin and Tierney to all get fit and then you might see a 3-5-2.

Luiz in a back 4 is tragic though. Too easily exposed and we know he's pretty poor 1 v 1. It worked well at Chelsea when in back 3 as he could step up into midfield and beside him you had Cahill and Azpilicueta who were just happy defending.
Yeah, I do think they miss Holding.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Then there were some smug arsenal fans on here who had the audacity to compare him with Maguire

SAFMUTD

He wasn’t great at chelsea but he looks like he wants to sabotage arsenal.

Jimmy_Bond

Like I said amongst the hysteria of our own fans in the summer who were talking like Arsenal had pulled off a summer masterclass..

Koscielny > Luiz

Ramsey > Ceballos

Pepe was the world's best ever players before anyone saw him play. Now everyone is realising it's far easier to look good in France than England (something I was attacked from all angles for saying).

They are weaker than last season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I thought Arsenal was doing Chelsea a favour by getting rid Chelsea’s deadwood, end up they really were.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I may have to revise my view that Luiz is better than Mustafi.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
A few teams have at least one clown in their defensive setup. Lovren, Phill Jones...Arsenal somehow have like thre legit walking time-bombs in their defense and this season they added Luiz. Mustafi will be rubbing his hands together thinking he can get back in this defense at this rate.

To be fair to emery I think he bought Liuz so that he would have someone who could be the communicator, someone to be vocal and organise at the back. Unfortunately Liuz doesn't seem to be able to organize himself. Saw him being vocal against and shouting at team mates just a few minutes before he gave the penalty away...

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
A few teams have at least one clown in their defensive setup. Lovren, Phill Jones...Arsenal somehow have like thre legit walking time-bombs in their defense and this season they added Luiz. Mustafi will be rubbing his hands together thinking he can get back in this defense at this rate.

To be fair to emery I think he bought Liuz so that he would have someone who could be the communicator, someone to be vocal and organise at the back. Unfortunately Liuz doesn't seem to be able to organize himself. Saw him being vocal against and shouting at team mates just a few minutes before he gave the penalty away...
I don't actually think Luiz is close to being as bad as made out, for the most part with us he was a good defender who made mistakes more than he should have, that alone stopped him from ever breaking the world class barrier but he's never been an outright shit defender like people claim.

However he's never been one to lead/elevate a defense by himself as he spectacularly showed in THAT world cup semi (although I did think Fernandinho was the main culprit In that half). With us he was 90% good/great and 10% a complete Trainwreck, however at Arsenal I think those figures are going to be, let's just say adjusted somewhat.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Even for 8m a very ill-advised signing for Arsenal, exactly the wrong sort of CB they actually needed.

Gary Cahill on a free would've been a better pick up for them in the short term considering they've signed a young French CB for 20m and just loaned him back to his French club for the season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Even for 8m a very ill-advised signing for Arsenal, exactly the wrong sort of CB they actually needed.

Gary Cahill on a free would've been a better pick up for them in the short term considering they've signed a young French CB for 20m and just loaned him back to his French club for the season.
I feel like it totally depends on the playing style. Emery has repeatedly said that he wants to play on the front foot, pressing high - in this sort of system, you'd pick Luiz ahead of Cahill 100 times out of 100. Cahill cannot play up the pitch; he's not good enough on the ball and he lacks the pace to recover.

However, given that Arsenal seem to be playing some sort of disastrous approach where shots are conceded willy nilly in and around their own penalty area, Cahill would have been far better. He's a much better player in both boxes than Luiz, who it should be said has probably been Arsenal's best defender on the season (problematic in and of itself).

It is still pretty shocking to me that Chelsea have four CBs who are all better than Arsenal's best at this point - credit to Lampard for sussing this out very quickly.

marktan

Chris Smalling incidentally would've been the ideal CB signing for Arsenal, not great on the ball but excellent and no nonsense defensively, which for Arsenal seems to be inverted the other way. It's no coincidence that Arsenal had their best spells with a solid backline with the likes of Keown and Sol Campbell. I know Wenger was interested in signing Smalling in the past but they should've pushed for it this season.

Luiz is and has been a terrible defender for a long time. He was abject and a big part of the reason why Brazil lost 7-1 to Germany. He's a good footballer but not being good enough to be a CM doesn't mean you should be a CB, it's not the same as RW -> RB.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Luiz is and has been a terrible defender for a long time. He was abject and a big part of the reason why Brazil lost 7-1 to Germany.
The biggest culprit that night (by a distance) was Fernandinho.

He's a good footballer but not being good enough to be a CM doesn't mean you should be a CB, it's not the same as RW -> RB.
Things is, he's not a good enough CM in any system bar strictly counter attack.

He was a decent CB (all be it one who made more mistakes than he should have) with the right system and protection, at Arsenal he has neither it was an absolutely crazy transfer.

marktan

The biggest culprit that night (by a distance) was Fernandinho.

Things is, he's not a good enough CM in any system bar strictly counter attack.

He was a decent CB (all be it one who made more mistakes than he should have) with the right system and protection, at Arsenal he has neither it was an absolutely crazy transfer.
I'd disagree on the first bit, Fernandinho gave the ball away for one of the goals, but for at least 2 of the goals David Luiz came charging out and was in no mans land and basically gave the Germans a free run at the goal. His biggest problem is that he doesn't have defensive instincts, he doesn't play like top CBs do, he plays exactly like a midfielder shifted to CB for a couple a games does.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'd disagree on the first bit, Fernandinho gave the ball away for one of the goals, but for at least 2 of the goals David Luiz came charging out and was in no mans land and basically gave the Germans a free run at the goal. His biggest problem is that he doesn't have defensive instincts, he doesn't play like top CBs do, he plays exactly like a midfielder shifted to CB for a couple a games does.
A lot of it mainly came down to Fernandinho vacating his position and leaving acres of space, think I remembered two of the goals coming down to that.

That's not to say Luiz was atall blameless for what happened, however I remember I felt Luiz was being the main focus when quite honestly Fernandinho and the whole defense bar Maicon deserved their fair share of shit aswell.

Djemba-Djemba

Chris Smalling incidentally would've been the ideal CB signing for Arsenal, not great on the ball but excellent and no nonsense defensively, which for Arsenal seems to be inverted the other way. It's no coincidence that Arsenal had their best spells with a solid backline with the likes of Keown and Sol Campbell. I know Wenger was interested in signing Smalling in the past but they should've pushed for it this season.

Luiz is and has been a terrible defender for a long time. He was abject and a big part of the reason why Brazil lost 7-1 to Germany. He's a good footballer but not being good enough to be a CM doesn't mean you should be a CB, it's not the same as RW -> RB.
If the rumours were true Wenger apparently wanted Smalling for years, if Wenger was still Arsenal manager maybe they'd have gone for him?

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Terrible defender and completely overrated due to having a decent shot. Chelsea really know how to cash in on players these last few years and have sold some right duds including Luiz, Matic, Hazard and Courtois.

TheThingThatShouldNotBe

Supports
Chelsea
Terrible defender and completely overrated due to having a decent shot. Chelsea really know how to cash in on players these last few years and have sold some right duds including Luiz, Matic, Hazard and Courtois.
Four players who all played large roles in title wins.

Luiz can be a very good defender, especially if he’s in a solid back four with a disciplined CB partner to keep him in check. Arsenal have neither of those, in fact you couldn’t ask for a better group of players to encourage his worst defensive traits. Like adding oxygen to a fire.

That said, there are much bigger problems at Arsenal than David Luiz.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The biggest culprit on the night was Marcelo. He was absolutely atrocious and seemed like he couldn't be arsed. Think 4 of the 5 initial goals during that blitz came from his zone.

Regarding Luiz, he's lost his (generally unrecognized) incredible physicality. He used to be incredibly fast, be dominant in the air, and be able to leverage his strength well. He has been in precipitous physical decline since Aguero assaulted his knee during the 3-1 Chelsea win at the Etihad in Conte's first season:

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Such an Arsenal signing. I don't think they'll be able to offload him this summer, even for a nominal sum.

RU Devil

Shocking he still plays for a team that aspires to be in the Champions League, at least from the EPL. I could see him play in the CL representing another league, but he's such a liability when at team like Arsenal is in a state of drift. Arteta should cut him loose now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The Most Overrated centre back who should never be considered as world class at one point and doesn’t deserve to be in the PFA TOTY in 16/17. Another bad buy & management from Emery and they were right to get rid of him.