David Luiz

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He's not an awful defender like people are making out. In fact he's very good. The issues rise from his complacency and tendency to switch off at key moments. He seems to be doing that less lately but that's under less pressure playing for psg than he will come under playing for Chelski.

I can see why they've gone for him but it has the potential to cost them a few points if his lapses come at the wrong time.

Unitedsince92

Supports
Vancouver Whitecaps
It was a desperate move by Chelsea. They could not sign Koulibaly and also Romagnoli... they might as well go back to him.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He'll cost us a few points, but he's also more than capable of winning us a few too. He has an outrageously good long shot on him, and much as people like to claim otherwise is a superb defender when his head is in the game.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I just like it because it makes Chelsea more interesting. I only watch them in hopes of Hazard doing something spectacular or Diego Costa getting a red card.

Varun

Staff
Unbelievable. I thought it was the usual media bullocks when I read it yesterday.

Keegs

He's better than all their CBs and is one of the biggest defenders in football. Anyone who says he did shit at PSG clearly didn't watch him. He got himself into the FIFpro World XI two years ago and was in the Team of the Season in Ligue 1 this year.

He's quality. Kinda wish Mourinho hijacked the deal to be honest.
This has to be a WUM. He is brutal drops a clanger every week, go watch a video of what he did against Monaco the other week Luiz is shocking so happy we signed are new centre half early Bailly looks a gem so far.

kr0nix

He'll cost us a few points, but he's also more than capable of winning us a few too. He has an outrageously good long shot on him, and much as people like to claim otherwise is a superb defender when his head is in the game.
Do you see Conte going with a back 3 now that Luiz has been signed?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Do you see Conte going with a back 3 now that Luiz has been signed?
That's what most of us are asking ourselves. I'm still not totally convinced Conte is as devoted to a back 3 as people seem to think, but equally I wouldn't be at all shocked if he at least tried it a few times. Once Zouma is back we certainly have the players now to at least give it a go.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It'll be like playing Rafael at centerback
@noodlehair.

If he was so good, then he wouldn't have been Chelsea's fourth or fifth choice. He's a panic buy.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Strange move. Something seemed amiss with his £50m sale to PSG, and is equally awry with the buyback.

He is a terrible defender, terrible. Isn't a Conte type central defensive player at all.

Last edited:

RedCurry

This is the kinda singing that would make opposition fans as happy as the Chelsea fans. It's good for the league to get him back. Some real characters in PL this season.

Djemba-Djemba

All I can think of is Chelsea were desperate to get somebody in and PSG still owed them money for Luiz. So having had every other defensive option turn them down all Summer they panicked and offered to take Luiz back.

He's shite.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Absolutely bizarre transfer, Thiago Silva wont be pleased but Marquinhos will be popping bottles.
He should be happy because Marquinhos has a strong reputation in Brazil.

Marquinhos-Thiago Silva with Brazil would be great :)

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Not shite not superb just a good defender who can look crazy but also fo spectacular. Cant say its a bad signing. But i dont think its a great signing either.

saivet

I was going to join a few others in saying 'he's no that bad...' but in all honesty I think he's a shit defender. Even our friend Mangala was capable of putting in a decent performance once in a while.

Saying all this, he'll be a good FPL pick and probably a better signing for the PL than Chelsea.

Oyibo

As people have pointed out :

Great on the ball, good going forward.

Unpredictable in defence, and prone to the occasional "mare".

Am pleased he's rejoined them because I was starting to get worried about Chelsea challenging us and Citeh:eek:

SirAF

Ageist
Terrible decision imo, they should still be thankful that PSG spunked 50m on him!

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I was going to join a few others in saying 'he's no that bad...' but in all honesty I think he's a shit defender. Even our friend Mangala was capable of putting in a decent performance once in a while.
This is what I don't get about criticism of Dave, over the course of a season he puts in a clear majority of very good performances, several outstanding ones, and a couple of total disasters. Clubs don't keep spending £40-50m on him because he's a nice guy, he's an extremely good defender with occasionally very poor concentration. Comparing him to Mangala, a player who just hasn't found his feet at City at all is just bizarre.

Zen

I really don't understand what's up with this guy and the transfer fees, forget the actually massive figures he shouldn't be commanding, but the fact they seem to be all over the place.

Chelsea to PSG - Seems to be £40m, yet still regularly regarded as £50m? and now the move back to Chelsea seems to be all over the place, £30m to £38m? I guess the higher figure is addons maybe, very dependent on winning the CL.

Fingeredmouse

Evans isn't better at defending :lol: Let me guess... you came to this conclusion cause Luiz is a decent attacker and therefore, the guy who ONLY knows how to defend must be better? :rolleyes:

And Mourinho only sold Luiz cause the offer was too good. He said so himself.

Keep telling yourself that. By your logic, Henderson and Joe Hart would be in it.
No, not because he's good at attacking, but because he's a positionally disasterous and ill disciplined mad man. He might do better in a 3, which I asume Conte will play, because other players who actually bother to do their jobs might cover for him, but he'll still cause problems. His semi final performance against Germany in the last WC was nothing short of willfully incompetent.

In short, I prefer defenders who can actually defend well. Attacking ability is a bonus and Luiz is not exactly Beckenbauer in that respect anyway.

saivet

This is what I don't get about criticism of Dave, over the course of a season he puts in a clear majority of very good performances, several outstanding ones, and a couple of total disasters. Clubs don't keep spending £40-50m on him because he's a nice guy, he's an extremely good defender with occasionally very poor concentration. Comparing him to Mangala, a player who just hasn't found his feet at City at all is just bizarre.
I think he's a very good player for a team like PSG playing in Ligue 1, maybe he'd even be okay at Barca given how they dominate games but just because of this doesn't mean I consider him a very good defender at all.

These high transfers fees have to been to PSG and Chelsea only. He has qualities which many defenders don't have, good passing, long range shooting, good attacking set pieces and physically good, but I don't think he's even one of the best defenders in the league. I'd take numerous PL defenders over this guy, probably wouldn't even be in my top 10 CBs in the league.

On Mangala he was just a random shit defender I plucked out the air who occasionally looks good.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
He's not a Conte player I dont see how this will end other than bad for Luiz unless Conte can some how magically change him.

Fenomeno9

David Luiz errors get far more criticism than other defenders who make the same error.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Evans isn't better at defending :lol: Let me guess... you came to this conclusion cause Luiz is a decent attacker and therefore, the guy who ONLY knows how to defend must be better? :rolleyes:

And Mourinho only sold Luiz cause the offer was too good. He said so himself.

Keep telling yourself that. By your logic, Henderson and Joe Hart would be in it.
Luiz is well known for his blunders and if you want the stats Luiz hasn't been better defensively than Evans was last year see the comparisons below, who's probably one of the most underrated players in the PL now.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...errors_leading_to_goal/blocks/tackles_won#avg

Sigma

I guess I'm missing a joke here, how is he connected to Ice Cube? Or is it just his hip hoppish look? And why they won't like the reference?
Sorry for being so slow!
Straight Outta Compton, a film about black people doing well, Chelsea fans have been racist in the past (Paris incident). The vast majority of Chelsea fans aren't racist of course, it was just a joke

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Chelsea were looking like dark horses for the title... then they go and do this :lol:

Fingeredmouse

David Luiz errors get far more criticism than other defenders who make the same error.
No they don't! He is, based on clubs and fees, a top level defender with a tendency to abandon his positional discipline at a level unprecedented in top level football. Any supposedly elite level defender who played in that manner would be subjected to scrutiny.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
No they don't! He is, based on clubs and fees, a top level defender with a tendency to abandon his positional discipline at a level unprecedented in top level football. Any supposedly elite level defender who played in that manner would be subjected to scrutiny.
Except it's not just scrutiny, its become all people know him for. You can see if from the various threads about him here, a lot of people can't seem to accept the idea that alongside being prone to occasional (and quite horrific) errors, he's also an extremely talented ball playing defender with extremely good passing skills. He'll probably now spend the season playing extremely well, but the first time he fecks up people will jump in and post the same things about how he's just a liability etc etc.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So polarized. Shit he is not. He's not the best defender around, but he's capable of outstanding performances and he gives the team something different. He might cost them a goal here and there, but like someone said, he'll win them points too. He's a character, and there's not too many of those around.

Why do people think it's not a Conte decision? Do they think Roman overruled him on this front??

Jacko21

French journalist Julien Laurens isn't a fan...

“He’s been a liability for PSG more than anything else,” Laurens told BBC Radio 5 Live. “Everybody remembers the game he had against Barcelona and Luis Suarez, who nutmegged him twice, in the Champions League quarter-final and humiliated him at the Parc des Princes.

“He hasn’t improved at all since leaving Chelsea. He’s probably coming back a worse player than when he left.

“Well yeah, they almost got their money back, two years after he left, for a player who’s two years older. I’ve watch him pretty much every weekend since he joined PSG, I can hardly remember four games where he was actually good, or very good maybe. He had some shockers. PSG couldn’t beleve their luck and I think first of all they tried to keep him because they had no other options and then they thought ‘the money’s too good, we can’t turn that down, it’s impossible’.”

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG fans are rather inclined to say "Our 3rd central defender is now Kimpembe against Varane for Real Madrid for instance :mad:'

They don't say "We did need him to win the Champions League'

There is a clear consensus in France & Brazil to say Marquinhos > David Luiz.

David Luiz is an excellent defender for many reasons but he was very often disappointing in the big games:

- Barcelona QF ECL,
- City QF ECL,
- Brazil 1-7 Germany,
- Brazil 0-2 Uruguay this season with David Luiz the worst player on the pitch... That is why, he wasn't part of the Brazil squad at the Copa America 2016

To sum up my view, excellent most of the time (80%) but worrying the rest of the time.

So polarized. Shit he is not. He's not the best defender around, but he's capable of outstanding performances and he gives the team something different. He might cost them a goal here and there, but like someone said, he'll win them points too. He's a character, and there's not too many of those around.

Why do people think it's not a Conte decision? Do they think Roman overruled him on this front??
I agree.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
One thing we can all agree on, he is gonna do something ridiculous, and dangerous, on the pitch this season.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
One thing we can all agree on, he is gonna do something ridiculous, and dangerous, on the pitch this season.
Is that exclusive to Luiz though? No doubt he's prone to errors but so are the likes of Ramos, Kompany, Hummels etc.

You can literally make a 20 minute+ highlight reel of the amount of mistakes Hummels & Ramos have made over the years but they're both regarded as Top 5 CB's.