David Moyes - The Tactician

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is the aspect of David Moyes I'm most intrigued in seeing. I thought our style of play had gotten a bit stale over the last couple of years and hopefully Moyes brings something fresh to the table with regards to the same.

So, how did moyes set Everton up? Any things you've learnt whilst watching Everton about the way he likes to set up his teams? My impression of them was always that they were a physically imposing side that tended to play with a lot of intensity. But I have no idea whether he likes to play one striker up top, two strikers or one with another one tucked in behind.

The biggest thing I want to see him bring is making us better at playing through teams. I know width is a big part of this club but our ability to open teams up with our passing and link up play through central areas needs improvement. No doubt a quality central midfielder would help, however I feel at times last season we almost ignored this aspect of the game and persistently focused all our attacks down the wide areas almost as a default programming.

I can see him taking time to adapt to the champions league tactically given he has little managerial experience in Europe so I hope fans are patient with that.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Wasn't there a huge thread on this when he joined?

Some of the Evertonians on here gave some good responses IIRC.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He'll set us up in a 4-2-3-1 in most matches I'll imagine. He liked to play that way at Everton. I'll also imagine that he would want to play with a bit less tactical rigidness in terms of our wingers. Players like Kagawa and Nani, cutting infield and linking up with our full backs overlapping them are surely on the cards.

Cina

he'll play in a way that's more reliant on our midfield and less reliant on our wingers, which is why we'll definitely sign some fecking midfielders, whoop whoop.

amolbhatia50k

he'll play in a way that's more reliant on our midfield and less reliant on our wingers, which is why we'll definitely sign some fecking midfielders, whoop whoop.
Nice :)

Which thread is it btw?

marjen

Interesting to see Lingard's role today. Cutting inside, linking up, it's the sort of role the likes of Kagawa and Nani would probably relish, not too far from the way he utilized Pienaar at Everton.

Getting a bit more variety to our wing play will improve us against sides sitting deep I think.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think Moyes is definitely one of the managers who can get the most out of Kagawa when played wide. He knows how these sort of players work and how best to use them.

Skimmed through the thread and saw that people were impressed with the high pressing. That's probably one of the key aspects he will bring to the club during his era. You wouldn't need to worry about players fatigue i don't think either, as at Everton we always seemed to be 110% until the end of the game.

marjen

Yeah, I noticed a change of approach in terms of pressing. Normally we would never pressure high up the pitch in a pre-season exhibition game like this.

amolbhatia50k

I think Moyes is definitely one of the managers who can get the most out of Kagawa when played wide. He knows how these sort of players work and how best to use them.

Skimmed through the thread and saw that people were impressed with the high pressing. That's probably one of the key aspects he will bring to the club during his era. You wouldn't need to worry about players fatigue i don't think either, as at Everton we always seemed to be 110% until the end of the game.
Yes I liked what I saw today in terms of both pressing and variety of play. It's been one of my major gripes with united's play that we don't press enough and rely too much on crossing. Good signs on both accounts today.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Yeah, I noticed a change of approach in terms of pressing. Normally we would never pressure high up the pitch in a pre-season exhibition game like this.

I was honestly about to say this during the match, but Lingard scored so I deleted it.

I thought we were pressing sometimes like Barca today. As if we had 10 Parks on the field. Looking forward for Europe next season - with more games before then, the players should have all adapted to it.

Platato

Psst!
It appears what I have read about Moyes' tactical tendencies are proving correct. We may not win as many trophies but our football will be exhilarating. Moyes has won my respect in that aspect. Tactically, thought we were spot on today and I hope to see more of it.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Saw a bit of that today. We pressed quite high up which isn't normal for us. It's something I had hoped we'd do. Looking forward to the new season now.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I know it's extremely early but I've enjoyed the 4-2-3-1 formation. I know we lined up like that sometimes last season but it nearly always became a 4-4-1-1 under Ferguson with no definite shape.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He was spot on today for selection, subs and tactics. Poor delivery and no cutting edge from wingers and fullbacks were the main problem today. Also, Carrick wasn't the magician like last year.

We kept Chelsea's young, athletic and skilled players silent and we had control of the game. Not Moyes' fault that we drew at home to Chelsea.

KiD MoYeS

So I think it's fair to say he's got it spot on in both games this season. Promising start from Moyes footballing wise, for me.

Brightonian

Certainly demonstrated that he's more than capable of matching up to The Great Mourinho et al today. We were unlucky not to get the goal that our control of the match probably deserved. He'll be disappointed that we didn't, but probably pleased that we played well overall.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Certainly demonstrated that he's more than capable of matching up to The Great Mourinho et al today. We were unlucky not to get the goal that our control of the match probably deserved. He'll be disappointed that we didn't, but probably pleased that we played well overall.
Agree with you Brightonian that he will be pleased but thought more than Moyes matching Jose it was Jose who got it wrong.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Yep promising start from Moyes so far, specially today against "the special one" who had to bring a sub on in the last minute begging the ref to end the game, I'm really looking forward watching us play for Moyes specially if he manages to get a major signing or two in before transfer window closes, I reckon we are in for a treat.

IhabX7

The Great Mourinho who brought the worst Chelsea performance against us in years with him.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Yeah agree with that Brightonian. I must admit there was a small part of me worried we'd pulled a Hodgson, but thankfully that appears to just be a horrible nightmare.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, just a bit of sharpness in the final third (especially crossing & on the wings) would have won us this game. Incidentally the 1 opportunity Rooney had to slide RvP in - he chose to shoot. Otherwise good performance from Rooney.

Brightonian

The Great Mourinho who brought the worst Chelsea performance against us in years with him.
Hardly. They defended brilliantly. We controlled the game because Moyes got our team selection right and the players turned up. But Chelsea weren't poor by any measure, and they probably got the result they set up to ensure, in the end. Don't make out like Moyes caught Mourinho on a bad day or something.

KiD MoYeS

Yeah agree with that Brightonian. I must admit there was a small part of me worried we'd pulled a Hodgson, but thankfully that appears to just be a horrible nightmare.
Still early days, but promising nonetheless. Suppose Europe will be the real acid test.

NinjaFletch

His tactics were fine, I felt the substitutions could have come a little earlier though. Young for Valencia and Giggs for Welbeck were obvious choices for a player in Valencia who couldn't cross and a player in Welbeck who was giving us no width.

It was probably the easiest game we could have hoped for though, Chelsea showed no endeavour and didn't look bothered about winning at all.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
If the Welbeck chances had fallen to RVP, we'd be talking about Moyes winning a tactical victory over Mourinho. Didn't want to lose the game and we were a little negative but that's fine by me.

The White Pele

Yes, thought the selection and subs were good again today.

I think he recognised that we weren't making enough of our situations out wide and, although Valencia was putting a good shift in, Young was more likely to put in a telling cross. So that was a calculated risk from Moyes and by no means settling for the point. It would have been interesting, had Hernandez been available, to see how he managed that one.

IhabX7

Hardly. They defended brilliantly. We controlled the game because Moyes got our team selection right and the players turned up. But Chelsea weren't poor by any measure, and they probably got the result they set up to ensure, in the end. Don't make out like Moyes caught Mourinho on a bad day or something.
Most unimaginative then.

I don't think It's about the managers.. We have better players than them it's as simple as that. At their ground it will be harder for us and they will play to win, unlike today.

Brightonian

Most unimaginative then.

I don't think It's about the managers.. We have better players than them it's as simple as that. At their ground it will be harder for us and they will play to win, unlike today.
So you don't think Moyes did a good job?

That 'most unimaginative' is exactly how Mourinho used to manage at Chelsea. It doesn't change the fact that getting the better of him, or at least matching him, was an important sign of Moyes' ability.

amolbhatia50k

Do people actually notice any difference from last season?

IhabX7

So you don't think Moyes did a good job?

That 'most unimaginative' is exactly how Mourinho used to manage at Chelsea. It doesn't change the fact that getting the better of him, or at least matching him, was an important sign of Moyes' ability.
I think we were fantastic in midfield and defense, much better than I expected. And that might be an influence he brought.

Moriarty

He was spot on today for selection, subs and tactics. Poor delivery and no cutting edge from wingers and fullbacks were the main problem today. Also, Carrick wasn't the magician like last year.

We kept Chelsea's young, athletic and skilled players silent and we had control of the game. Not Moyes' fault that we drew at home to Chelsea.
I didn't see the game because of work but your comment is intriguing. Did the midfields cancel each other out? Did we keep their young and athletic players quiet at the expense of attacking options? Just curious as I thought we'd beat them at home.