David Moyes West Ham Manager (Again) | European Champion

Rodgerzzz

I hope it's on the Football Manager 2023 forum, those guys know where to get all the best players dirt cheap.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Dislike Moyes? Never, sure everyone loves the guy these days.

Whether or not the targets are realistic is irrelevant it seems. No matter the target, the club or the CEO/DOF going back over a decade now it's never Dave's fault.
Again, NINE signings by Moyes West Ham last season.
Three the season before, 5 the season before....but sure the new Technical Director that came in a few months ago and has got zero transfer so far isn't the blame, the guy with a great track record at West Ham Is.

Sometimes I do wonder how people go through life with such bizarre petty hatred towards certain people.

stevoc

Again, NINE signings by Moyes West Ham last season.
Three the season before, 5 the season before....but sure the new Technical Director that came in a few months ago and has got zero transfer so far isn't the blame, the guy with a great track record at West Ham Is.

Sometimes I do wonder how people go through life with such bizarre petty hatred towards certain people.
They manage fine I imagine.

I'm simply pointing out that you like others for a long time now, over tenures at various clubs always absolve Dave of any and all blame for general transfer dithering.

You might be right in this case but when a club seem to be dithering on transfers all summer and just happen to be managed by a guy with a long and well earned reputation for dithering going back 20+ years. Please forgive anyone for thinking Dave might have something to do with that.

Champ

They manage fine I imagine.

I'm simply pointing out that you like others for a long time now, over tenures at various clubs always absolve Dave of any and all blame for general transfer dithering.

You might be right in this case but when a club seem to be dithering on transfers all summer and just happen to be managed by a guy with a long and well earned reputation for dithering going back 20+ years. Please forgive anyone for thinking Dave might have something to do with that.
Moyes and his team have signed 19 players on his latest tenure at West Ham.

Four players at Sociedad, 9 at Sunderland,

Hardly dithering.

But let's not let facts get in the way of the truth eh!?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Weird comments here imo. Moyes has made them qualify for Europe three seasons in a row now and won them their first trophy in 43 years. I guess he's earned enough goodwill there to get his targets.
It's true, it's why they were making comments about Weat Ham not signing foreign players, which is ludicrous.

dinostar77

Interesting tug of war going on at west ham. Moyes wanting PL proven players. The DoF and David Suviilian wanting to go in a different direction.

Im not sure who is in the right on this.

Watched the Tifo i r l video on sensible transfers and they have split the transfer options into sensible/solid i.e. Ward-Prowse/Mctominay etc and/or players who vould take West Ham to another level, but would end up going to bigger clubs i.e florentino luiz from benfica.

Its a wierd dichotomy going on. Moyes's sensible albeit defensive football, playing on the counter and the new DoF and Sullivan wanting to change West Ham into a more possesion based, attractive to watch team.

PL history is littered with team owners who wanted the change from solid and depenable football to sexy, attractive football. It normally ends in tears. DeBoer at Crystal Palace, Bolton sacking Big Sam, fulham moving on from woy then coming back to him on mutliple occasions, burnley fc is another.,

Short of being backed by a billionaire or a sovereign wealth fund, its a fools errand.

I think they will sack moyes and go down.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Interesting tug of war going on at west ham. Moyes wanting PL proven players. The DoF and David Suviilian wanting to go in a different direction.

Watched the Tifo i r l video on sensible transfers and they have split the transfer options into sensible/solid i.e. Ward-Prowse/Mctominay etc and/or players who vould take West Ham to another level, but would end up going to bigger clubs i.e florentino luiz from benfica.

Its a wierd dichotomy going on. Moyes's sensible albeit defensive football, playing on the counter and the new DoF and Sullivan wanting to change West Ham into a more possesion based, attractive to watch team.

PL history is littered with team owners who wanted the change from solid and depenable football to sexy, attractive football. It normally ends in tears. DeBoer at Crystal Palace, Bolton sacking Big Sam, fulham moving on from woy then coming back to him on mutliple occasions, burnley fc is another.,

Short of being backed by a billionaire or a sovereign wealth fund, its a fools errand.

West Ham already tried that when they hired Pellegrini and then ended up sacking him.

caid

Think they'd be foolish to move away from Moyes at this point in time.
That squad isn't built for possession or attractive football. Theres just nothing to build from there. They could target some well rounded players that can fit in a few different systems and over time move towards something else but only a Moyes is going to keep this current squad in the league.

Pronewbie

Peep
Maguire and McT would do well in his system. For a combined 60M that's a very fair price for upgrading the spine and comfortably staying up in the PL while possibly challenging for a Europa/Conference spot over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

The DoF may not like it though, so I can see why there are reports of a power struggle at West Ham.

stevoc

Moyes and his team have signed 19 players on his latest tenure at West Ham.

Four players at Sociedad, 9 at Sunderland,

Hardly dithering.

But let's not let facts get in the way of the truth eh!?
Do we both have the same understanding of the word dither?

You could sign 10 players on deadline day after dithering the whole window. The amount of players signed in and of itself has nothing to do with dithering.

He's not known as dithering Dave for nothing.

Plastic Evra

OK so this one was interesting to me, and maybe will be to others, because for all the talk about transfers it's pretty nebulous business for us peons.

Apparently the site in question is TransferRoom. Which is an "online marketplace" for players, or a networking tool for clubs and agents I suppose. Classified ads really. It's used by plenty of top flights clubs (They claim Juve, Roma, Bayer, Werder, Santos, Palmeiras and so on). It's legitimate and it makes sense too : Everyone knows United was looking for a striker, sure. But you're a agent representing relatively non-famous players, how do you know where to look for deals ? Feverishly refreshing Romano's feed, clickbait articles, word of mouth and making cold calls to clubs ? Using divination in rooster's entrails to have an idea if player X at club Z is potentially getable or if Racing White Daring Molenbeek is perhaps looking for a backup right-back ? Transfer business seems plenty secretive from the outside and sure, clubs play cards close to their vest... But at one point it's surely more efficient to plainly advertise some basics.

The newly appointed West Ham technical director is Tim Steidten, a former player who also held similar duties at Werder Bremen and Bayer Leverkusen.
What I read on a West Ham fan forum (don't have the link ready but I'm paraphrasing user DusseldorfHammer on KUMB) is that Steidten was told by his bosses at Leverkusen to personally log off TransferRoom after he put some players "on sale" there without first clearing it with higher ups (I assume those players were considered as such but the club didn't want to publicize it just yet or in that manner). That was 3 or so years ago.

I don't know it's quite such a hot story West Ham used a known pro tool (probably at their new technical director behest) to advertise their needs other than when read in the context of supposed internal rifts. Mostly confirms what was already known broadly about their needs and budget & that they are very late to act in the window.

tomaldinho1

Story today that he’s at loggerheads with the DoF over recruitment and might quit. I like to think this is all over McT :lol:

Kaos

Dithering Dave, brings me back to his first summer with us when he was't convinced on Thiago, Kroos, Khedira or Fabregas, so we spent all summer trying to lowball Everton for Fellaini and Leighton feckin Baines, only to end up overpaying for the former on deadline day.

Don't blame West Ham if they go with their DoF on this one and end up ultimately binning Moyes, but only after he's gotten McSauce and Maguire please :angel:

Champ

Do we both have the same understanding of the word dither?

You could sign 10 players on deadline day after dithering the whole window. The amount of players signed in and of itself has nothing to do with dithering.

He's not known as dithering Dave for nothing.
Yeah you're right, every signing he has made has been in the last hour of deadline day.

How silly of me to not realise that!

Not even sure if West Ham made a deadline day transfer last summer, I think they had all 9 signings done and dusted a fair few days before.

Dithering Dave indeed....

dinostar77

Story today that he’s at loggerheads with the DoF over recruitment and might quit. I like to think this is all over McT :lol:
Hes won them a european trophy. They wont go down under his watch. So just trust him and back him. Get a DoF in whos ideas are compatible with his. He should have a job security for at least 5 years so he can build a team on the back of the trophy. Just as ranieri should never have been sacked by leicester.

Blackwidow

Leverkusen just made their 4:0 against them in the 70th minute...
It is only a week prior to EPL start - 2 weeks prior to Bundesliga start (so it is Cup weekend the weekend before).

stevoc

Yeah you're right, every signing he has made has been in the last hour of deadline day.

How silly of me to not realise that!

Not even sure if West Ham made a deadline day transfer last summer, I think they had all 9 signings done and dusted a fair few days before.

Dithering Dave indeed....
It's almost like you are trying to pretend David Moyes only started managing 2 years ago.

Dave's been dithering for over 2 decades now.

Champ

It's almost like you are trying to pretend David Moyes only started managing 2 years ago.

Dave's been dithering for over 2 decades now.
Apart from at Sunderland, Sociedad and this tenure at West Ham yeah?

stevoc

Apart from at Sunderland, Sociedad and this tenure at West Ham yeah?
Not necessarily, don't know when all those transfers occured off the top of my head. Though I seem to recall him signing Illaremendi and Ndong quite late in windows if I remember correctly. I think Gibson was a deadline day signing as well.

And that of course doesn't preclude the possibility there were other individuals at those clubs pushing the transfers along and working against Dave's dithering tendencies.

Champ

Not necessarily, don't know when all those transfers occured off the top of my head. Though I seem to recall him signing Illaremendi and Ndong quite late in windows if I remember correctly. I think Gibson was a deadline day signing as well.

And that of course doesn't preclude the possibility there were other individuals at those clubs pushing the transfers along and working against Dave's dithering tendencies.
Right, I get it now.

So if the club dithers and struggles to get anyone in it's Moyes fault.

But if they actually sign players quickly and get who they need in, it's the recruitment/negotiation team and not Moyes.

Thanks for clarifying that. Goes to show a lot.

Champ

Doesn't seem very accurate
That is Value though, and not suggested selling price.
The true value is only what people are willing to pay, so far no one is willing to pay what Spurs deem him to be valued at.

Plastic Evra

It sounds bollocks.
I don't know the site really lives up to all the promises and pitches they have on that home page, either. I can see how it would be useful for pros even just for clubs communicating very broad outlines of what they may be looking for or who they might be open to part with.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He forgot to set his mode to Leverkusen destroyer mode like he did when United beat them 5-0.

stevoc

Right, I get it now.

So if the club dithers and struggles to get anyone in it's Moyes fault.

But if they actually sign players quickly and get who they need in, it's the recruitment/negotiation team and not Moyes.

Thanks for clarifying that. Goes to show a lot.
Yeah it's certainly possible. As opposed to the oppisite view that it's never Dave's fault for anything. A view spouted on here for a long time by some people.

West Ham sign players quickly = Dave's behind that, good on you Dave.

West Ham dither and don't sign players quickly = that's that new directors fault not Dave's.

We can't know for sure one way or another. We can have opinions but we don't know the facts.

Plastic Evra

I mean that certainly could be "his fault" shared with the others though if everything we hear is true, the board could just force the issue ? Moyes doesn't have a papal veto, he only gets so much power his employers are giving him.

West Ham is just, from the mouth of their fans, poorly managed, trying to do everything on the cheap and currently seeing a possible transfer of ownership (?). Sport side Moyes mostly delivered so far and there's not a lot of coaches that did in their recent past in such a environment. I think that buys him some credibility, no matter how limited one might find his football and horizons (including in the sort of profiles he seeks to complement his squad).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I think with an EPL budget you can buy a great squad playing positional football. See Brighton for instance. In such cases, I tend to be against the conservative voice (Moyes).

Plastic Evra

Hammer fans cautiously optimistic that Edson Álvarez from Ajax might be their first signing for a rumoured 30m£. Fear not though as apparently he would be best used with an energetic midfield player yet to be determined (and Paqueta of course).

If they really have 140m£ they can probably get 4 players like that or decent PL ones. Historically the ownership will only splash big for a forward.

Still leaves them with 3 more reinforcements needed on their grocery list but they can probably loan a couple for bodies.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Anti attractive football manager. No surprise that he West hammed chelsea and Brighton so far. Two of the most attractive playing team so far this season. He is british Mourinho regen. i taught he was unfair criticized for his time here at United.