Day 12: Croatia vs Scotland | Czech Republic vs England

Sylar

Playing some of your best players in their best positions and the team improves eh? Who knew

RooneyLegend

Except defensive solidity. Rice and Phillips need to learn each other's games in preparation for when that becomes important against the big boys.

The early games are when they learn how to be a partnership. We don't need to win our group games 3-0 when 1-0 will do.
Bellingham can defend. Infact, he's more dynamic defensively than either of those two.

MU655

Except defensive solidity. Rice and Phillips need to learn each other's games in preparation for when that becomes important.

They have to get used to each other in the early games.
But Rice and Phillips invite pressure with their inability to break the lines with their passes. Look how slow and ponderous they have been with Scotland, Croatia, and today. They can't make passes even with time.

This midfield is inviting pressure, and it will be far worse with France etc. This team needs a player like Bellingham to give a route out from midfield. He is shown he is capable of playing at a higher level. His City performances were fantastic.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
What if, after all the outrage about the attacking players, it's actually Maguires balls from deep that make England look like playing football?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The Rice/Phillips debate is one that will run and run. For me they're ok in theory but they work much better in practice when Phillips has more license to get further forward like he did versus Croatia. In this game both mids are sat next to each other whether we have the ball or not; in the former case that means they struggle to launch attacks while in the latter case they're being bypassed anyway.

It looks like Henderson's coming on so let's see what changes.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
To get forward? If so, its clear Southgate doesn't want hem to get forward, and wants to create a foil for attacking quartet. Therefore, playing Bellingham would make little sense, as it would take a lot from his game - similar to when we Pogba playing deep. Henderson wouldn't be a bad shout but he's clearly not fit, which is why I wanted JWP to go.
The fact we haven't conceded a goal in 2.5 games somewhat vindicates Southgate's decision to go with 2 central DM's, to be fair, but it does feel like he's wasting our golden generation with this defence before attack philosophy.

Withnail

To get forward? If so, its clear Southgate doesn't want hem to get forward, and wants to create a foil for attacking quartet. Therefore, playing Bellingham would make little sense, as it would take a lot from his game - similar to when we Pogba playing deep. Henderson wouldn't be a bad shout but he's clearly not fit, which is why I wanted JWP to go.
You need someone in there who'll get the ball to that attacking quarter quicker.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I fecking swear half-time breaks are getting longer so TV stations can squeeze another ad break in. Get on with it!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Playing some of your best players in their best positions and the team improves eh? Who knew
Biggest difference is just asking Shaw to go forward a bit more and using Grealish as a 10. The rest pretty much don't make as big of a difference as you'd expect any of them to give a Czech fullback a hard time if Grealish is taking away attention. Though could pick better players anyway.

Sylar

Biggest difference is just asking Shaw to go forward a bit more and using Grealish as a 10. The rest pretty much don't make as big of a difference as you'd expect any of them to give a Czech fullback a hard time if Grealish is taking away attention. Though could pick better players anyway.
Well Maguire for mings too.
Grealish is the big one for me though.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
How walker gets game ahead of CL winner James?
Last game James didn't do anything better tbh.
The fact we haven't conceded a goal in 2.5 games somewhat vindicates Southgate's decision to go with 2 central DM's, to be fair, but it does feel like he's wasting our golden generation with this defence before attack philosophy.
No one will give a thing if England win euro by playing defensively. Win the game is ultimate aim.

LDUred

The attack has been better. Despite the goal I still think Sterling is the weak link. Would like to see Sancho tried in his place.
Sterling has been excellent.

He's literally carried Harry Kane today. Sancho is a very good player though and I wouldn't like to see him come on.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
some of these square balls and balls back to the center halves really show what we’ve been missing with hendo out.