Day 12: Croatia vs Scotland | Czech Republic vs England

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Well Maguire for mings too.
Grealish is the big one for me though.
Generally sure but not much of an impact here as it's only Czech Republic so you wouldn't expect them to cause much trouble anyway (and England weren't troubled the past few games with Mings).

Dante

Average bang
The fact we haven't conceded a goal in 2.5 games somewhat vindicates Southgate's decision to go with 2 central DM's, to be fair, but it does feel like he's wasting our golden generation with this defence before attack philosophy.
I actually think 'defence before attack' is our best chance of doing well in this tournament.

England's attackers can go toe-to-toe with anyone in the competition. The problem is with our CBs and CMs.

So shithousing the middle of the pitch helps us minimise our weaknesses whilst giving the frontline a puncher's chance of scoring. It's a conservative approach, but we'll struggle to beat any of the bigger teams by trying to make things even.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I quite like England having that United-City double pairing at the back. Sensible.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Scotland is playing like big Sam's teams. Long ball on big man and then lets fill pen box and wait for cross. And it is working against our weak bastards

TheGame

You will need them when up against France or Germany so may as well establish the structure of the side

I couldn’t give a toss if England win or lose, but some of you are overly harsh on Southgate. He is doing a reasonable job and above average compared to most England managers
No, against those teams we should be playing one of those players and a box to box player such as Bellingham or Henderson alongside them. Those players will invite pressure and are too defensive.

MU655

We just went from the middle of their half back to our own. And ended up kicking it off the pitch to give them a corner. Sums England up really.

TheGame

They will need to be in the next round. The more they play with other, the better they'll be in the games that count.

The groups games are a gimme. We're winning the group with them already there.

Southgate doesn't owe the public the most exciting lineup in every single game. He'll be judged by how well he gets the team ready for the sharp end of the tournament.
Just feel even against the better teams, Bellingham or Henderson alongside them will offer more.

joedirt87

Who do England get if they win/finish second?
if they win they play the runner up team of the france/germany/portugal group. if they draw and get runner up they play the runner up of the slovakia/spain/poland/sweden group.

TheGame

To get forward? If so, its clear Southgate doesn't want hem to get forward, and wants to create a foil for attacking quartet. Therefore, playing Bellingham would make little sense, as it would take a lot from his game - similar to when we Pogba playing deep. Henderson wouldn't be a bad shout but he's clearly not fit, which is why I wanted JWP to go.
We need a box to box player alongside the DM so they offer something going forward which puts pressure on the other side rather than 2 DMs which don’t.

Sylar

Generally sure but not much of an impact here as it's only Czech Republic so you wouldn't expect them to cause much trouble anyway (and England weren't troubled the past few games with Mings).
for me with Maguire it's more the impact he has for going forward which many don't see and what United missed in the last few games. He gets the ball forward quick at times especially with Shaw out wide.
Mings wasnt an issue defensively but can see the difference to attack with mings vs Maguire

It's a big drop off in quality

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Henderson on the pitch 2 minutes and we've already started going backwards :lol:
Who is he on for? Have visions Southgate taken Saka off and going for triple lock of Henderson-Rice-Phillips. :lol: Even Southgate isn't that negative so assume Rice.

Dante

Average bang
Just feel even against the better teams, Bellingham or Henderson alongside them will offer more.
I agree. But Rice and Phillips are the pragmatic choice. It's Southgate job on the line, so I can't blame him for being strategic.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Come on Scotland or Croatia, make a fecking goal, yer both out with a draw

bosskeano

Enjoy this match English fans as you're going to get knocked out in the next round against Portugal or Germany

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Enjoy this match English fans as you're going to get knocked out in the next round against Portugal or Germany
neither will have an answer to the four right backs at once approach we’ve been keeping close to our chest.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Why would a professional footballer give up his chance to play in the Euros, silly comment..
You seem lost. Enjoy the game ;)

Darkhorsez

TBF Kane does work really hard for the team. Just lacks service. I am sure he’ll get going soon