Average bang
If it is a back 5:

Pickford

Stones--Maguire--Shaw

Walker-----------------------------------------------------Saka

Phillips--Rice

Sterling----------------------------Grealish

Kane
This could possibly be Southgate's preferred formation. But he's not had the chance to pick it because Maguire's been out.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
He's not shite but he's not even had more than a full season of senior football has he? More understandable if it's a 343 but why play a back three against the Czechs? Ugh, horse face makes pulling for the national team tricky.
Saka did more in friendlies than Sancho. Sancho have to earn his place through performances.He will get his chances.

Pickle85

Saka did more in friendlies than Sancho. Sancho have to earn his place through performances.He will get his chances.
But he's done a million times more at club level. In competitive games. Even comparing them as players at the mo is crazy. All I can think is that, as someone else said, it's three at the back.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Some replies against Saka is a bit over the top. The kid deserves his chance and impressed in the friendly.

Regardless I find it baffling how Sterling is starting ahead of Sancho.

Also need to realise Southgate is a defensive minded manager and will probably utilise Saka as part of a back 5 :lol:

PoTMS

I feel like he's taken the Shearer 96 story with el Tel as the only way to manage.

Just seems pointless to bring a squad if he's not going to use it.
This is the same useless cnut that wanted only 23 man squads.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If it is a back 5:

Pickford

Stones--Maguire--Shaw

Walker-----------------------------------------------------Saka

Phillips--Rice

Sterling----------------------------Grealish

Kane
This could possibly be Southgate's preferred formation. But he's not had the chance to pick it because Maguire's been out.
5 defenders with 2 defensive midfielders at home to Czech Republic. Sounds about right yeah.

chris123

Nope, nevermind, Saka is playing right wing. fecking hell that is madness.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
But he's done a million times more at club level. In competitive games. Even comparing them as players at the mo is crazy. All I can think is that, as someone else said, it's three at the back.
So be it. He will live through it. He will get the consequences. Pep said once it's not personalities where they can play but how they play as a unit.

Southgate not able to trust Sancho yet but once he do he will earn his place through performances. Don't worry he will get game time today I think.

Dan_F

Southgate’s logic on Foden does actually make sense, on a yellow so pointless playing him.

Pavl3n

So 4 at the back. And Grealish through the middle. 4-2-3-1
Or Walker playing as RCB and have a 3-4-3 formation.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What sort of line up will it be when we come up against a seriously good side?
I could see him picking something like this

Pickford
Stones Maguire Shaw
Walker Rice Henderson Phillips Chilwell
Kane Sterling
“There’s no shame in losing 2-0 to France without having a shot”

I was joking but I wouldnt even be shocked :lol:

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Not even my country (Sweden) plays this defensive:lol: Tells alot of whats wrong with this England team.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not even my country (Sweden) plays this defensive:lol: Tells alot of whats wrong with this England team.
We haven’t got the attacking players to really go for it so we have to load the team with positions we are stacked at light centre back and defensive midfield.

FatTails

England are through anyway (in first, second, or even third place) so you’d think this is the game to try things out before the knockouts (for Pardew, that means Harry’s fitness, possibly a back 3, try to get Kane going..)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sancho is only 1.5 years older than Saka but has more goals and assists than Saka has total appearances.

joedirt87

southgate is such a coward, still playing rice and phillips :lol:

would be nice to see sancho but at least it's not phoden. kane makes sense to me, you are always going to pick him in the knockout rounds so may as well give him another chance to find some form.

redshaw

Can see Saka playing very well but would be odd to see him on the right.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Some replies against Saka is a bit over the top. The kid deserves his chance and impressed in the friendly.

Regardless I find it baffling how Sterling is starting ahead of Sancho.

Also need to realise Southgate is a defensive minded manager and will probably utilise Saka as part of a back 5 :lol:
Definitely. Saka performed well when he played. Hope he play well today too to justify his selection. May be Sancho should get the nod instead of sterling. But will get game time today I think.

MU655

I don't get the refusal to play Bellingham. He is a first-teamer for a Champion's League level side, but Southgate doesn't consider him good enough to get in over Phillips or Rice.

Sterling seems to have an automatic first-team place based on nothing. It is good Saka is getting a game, but surely Sancho should be in the team.

Dante

Average bang
What sort of line up will it be when we come up against a seriously good side?
The same.

Cups aren't won in the early rounds. At least by being consistent with his tactics, Southgate is letting the squad develop an understanding in real time. We'll have to wait and see if it works.

But I am as sceptical as you.