g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 12: Croatia vs Scotland | Czech Republic vs England

Wolverine

Hoping Bellingham and Sancho get some game time off the bench at least.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
We haven’t got the attacking players to really go for it so we have to load the team with positions we are stacked at light centre back and defensive midfield.
Southgate have his favourites and he loves to play them even if they’re out of form. Will be interesting to see how this goes. I think out in the next round.

GlasgowCeltic

If it is a back 5:

Pickford

Stones--Maguire--Shaw

Walker-----------------------------------------------------Saka

Phillips--Rice

Sterling----------------------------Grealish

Kane
This could possibly be Southgate's preferred formation. But he's not had the chance to pick it because Maguire's been out.
Can see this, a back five to compensate for losing Mount's defensive strength in midfield

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't get the refusal to play Bellingham. He is a first-teamer for a Champion's League level side, but Southgate doesn't consider him good enough to get in over Phillips or Rice.

Sterling seems to have an automatic first-team place based on nothing. It is good Saka is getting a game, but surely Sancho should be in the team.
He plays in the Bundesliga which is equivalent to the championship for Southgate

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Do even Arsenal fans think Saka should be starting? I'm baffled, genuinely. I wouldn't have even taken him given our options, and here he is starting ahead of Sancho.
Amazingly, given the tournament is well under way, Southgate still seems to be trying people out.

Sancho being a known quantity, Saka less so, is the only way I can make sense of it.

fergies coat

I knew this place would go mad when I seen the team news. Saka starting is a joke to be honest, and why couldn't he rotate Sterling? He's had two games. Two defensive midfielders again. Southgate is a coward. He should of started with Bellingham.

Dante

Average bang
He's getting much funnier.

He's definitely going to do some idiot abroad kinda thing with Richards at some point.
I think he's always had that acerbic wit. What's changed is that Richards is now humanising him.

Being a cold bastard on your own just makes you look like a cold bastard. But doing it next to giddy schoolboy makes you look like you're in on the joke.

Been plenty of articles the last few days from journalists close to the England camp saying that the reason Southgate's going with the Sterling/Mount/Foden combo is because he doesn't trust the pressing and out-of-possession work of the players behind them like Grealish/Rashford/Sancho.

Thing is, stats show Grealish is actually a pretty decent presser/defensive contributor...basically around league average, but with very high success rate in pressing (which is arguably team dependent). Sancho is way below average with high pressing success rate and Rashford is unfortunately one of the worst in Europe.

More importantly, even with his first choices England are fecking awful out of possession and have no coherent press anyway. Might as well play one of the entertainers in Sterling's position.

Even weirder than the attack is that Bellingham hasn't come in for Phillips or Rice.

saivet

The same.

Cups aren't won in the early rounds. At least by being consistent with his tactics, Southgate is letting the squad develop an understanding in real time. We'll have to wait and see if it works.

But I am as sceptical as you.
I agree. Also you notice the teams who entertain everyone early on tend not to win the tournament either. I'm not a fan of Southgate or convinced by any of what he's doing but let's see.

Droid_Repairs

If England are flat, boring and defensive tonight, don't read too much into it - I reckon we're going to grind out a draw on purpose.

Calling it now, Southgate will play for 0-0 hoping to finish 2nd. This approach could go one of two ways, either the Czechs are up for a draw and we see an exceedingly boring game resulting in a 0-0, or, Czechia actually go for it and end up beating us, or England narrowly scraping a 1-1. I can't see us trying too hard to win the group, it's much more savvy to try and avoid the Group F runners up.

We won't see the same Scotland approach as we did against England because they have to go for the win this time. Since regimented, box-flooding defence isn't an option for them, expect to see an exciting and open game. Unfortunately Croatia will try to punish them with superior midfield and forwards, can see Scotland scoring, but ultimately ending up 2-1 or even 3-1 to Croatia.

I'm disappointed to say this as an England supporter, but the Scotland-Croatia game is where the action is tonight.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I swear when Southgate took over he made a big thing about “nobody’s place being safe, no more playing on reputation and youth will get a chance”. Now he’s been in the role for a while he’s got the players he likes and all that is out the window.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Do even Arsenal fans think Saka should be starting? I'm baffled, genuinely. I wouldn't have even taken him given our options, and here he is starting ahead of Sancho.
It’s insane. I know it’s one of those fan things to constantly disagree with the managers squad selection, but man, I don’t think Southgate has got it right in 3 games.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If Rashford is now behind Saka can he go have fecking surgery please? What’s the point being there if he isn’t going to be used!
Should’ve done it in the first place. Wish Ole put a bit of pressure on him to do so.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Been plenty of articles the last few days from journalists close to the England camp saying that the reason Southgate's going with the Sterling/Mount/Foden combo is because he doesn't trust the pressing and out-of-possession work of the players behind them like Grealish/Rashford/Sancho.

Thing is, stats show Grealish is actually a pretty decent presser/defensive contributor...basically around league average, but with very high success rate in pressing (which is arguably team dependent). Sancho is way below average with high pressing success rate and Rashford is unfortunately one of the worst in Europe.

More importantly, even with his first choices England are fecking awful out of possession and have no coherent press anyway. Might as well play one of the entertainers in Sterling's position.

Even weirder than the attack is that Bellingham hasn't come in for Phillips or Rice.
This is so underrated on here. Like playing with 10 players if someone is just walking/jogging around.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I agree. Also you notice the teams who entertain everyone early on tend not to win the tournament either. I'm not a fan of Southgate or convinced by any of what he's doing but let's see.
Yes. He is not a great coach but he earned the opportunity to lead this euro. No point in finding fault in every decision he make.

Match not even started yet. Hope he has plan to make things work especially bring kane into form. It's all he need to do.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is so underrated on here. Like playing with 10 players if someone is just walking/jogging around.
It's about team balance. If you play your fullbacks conservatively and play 2 defensive mids, it's better to just have difference makers in attack even if they do less defensively. Anyway, Grealish is pretty useless defensively too so that is likely why. It's still strange. You don't ignore one of the best attackers in Europe because he's not amazing as a presser (when the others like Sterling are merely average anyway...).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I do love how delightfully dim Grealish comes across.

KC91

I think Croatia will have a relatively comfortable win & England to squeak by the Czech Rep.