Day 13: Ghana vs Uruguay | South Korea vs Portugal | Cameroon vs Brazil | Serbia vs Switzerland

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Every foul is technically cheating if you want to see it like that
In terms of what is "accepted" football-wise, people are obviously more lenient towards a foul then something that's more obvious - such as a dive.

I mean if we boil it down there's no difference between that and trying to claim a throw-in when you know you touched it last... it's all "cheating" (in football terms), but different forms of "cheating" are obviously treated with more disdain.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
A double on Uruguay and Serbia today. What’s everyone thinking? Serbia or Switzerland to progress?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
In terms of what is "accepted" football-wise, people are obviously more lenient towards a foul then something that's more obvious - such as a dive.

I mean if we boil it down there's no difference between that and trying to claim a throw-in when you know you touched it last... it's all "cheating" (in football terms), but different forms of "cheating" are obviously treated with more disdain.
There's a difference for me. Diving or pretending it's your throw in when it's not tries to deceive the referee. A foul doesn't. It's against the rules and will be disciplined as such. Just like Suarez handball

Annihilate Now!

Scout
There's a difference for me. Diving or pretending it's your throw in when it's not tries to deceive the referee. A foul doesn't. It's against the rules and will be disciplined as such. Just like Suarez handball
A handball on the line is definitely trying to deceive the ref... You're trying to block a shot with something you're not supposed to but pretending /hoping the ref thinks it's your head/another part of your body

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
A handball on the line is definitely trying to deceive the ref... You're trying to block a shot with something you're not supposed to but pretending /hoping the ref thinks it's your head.
Don't think Suarez had any illusion that his offence would go unnoticed, just that it's still worth doing it

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Don't think Suarez had any illusion that his offence would go unnoticed, just that it's still worth doing it
I mean he didn't walk off the pitch immediately - and when he got a red card did a "what me?" type of reaction :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Suarez is full of cnutish DNA. The intentional handball was simply a manifestation of it.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
A double on Uruguay and Serbia today. What’s everyone thinking? Serbia or Switzerland to progress?
Isn't the Serbian team infighting (like the Belgians)? I read somewhere that someone slept with another player's girlfriend or something

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
With the last round of group stages today, I feel like a new tournament will begin and one whose viewing makes me nervous to say the least. I like group stages because they're fun

island

Supports
Chelsea
I can't see Uruguay beating Ghana, the Africans have a pretty solid team, with an emotional advantage too.
Portugal must rotate players but they are as good or better than the ones leaving and Korea is in a desert of ideas and Son hasn't made it to the World Cup yet.
Cameroon is my fetish team since 1990 and I think they can achieve something today.
I'm far from seeing Brazil and Argentina as favorites as everyone seems to see them and with Dani Alves and Alex Telles in defense today...the Africans could take advantage. They are a bit chaotic but they have quality.
Serbia has been a disappointment and I don't see how they can break down Swiss wall.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
A handball on the line is definitely trying to deceive the ref... You're trying to block a shot with something you're not supposed to but pretending /hoping the ref thinks it's your head/another part of your body
And Dominic Adiyiah, whose shot Suarez blocked, deceived the ref by throwing himself to the ground with Fucile nowhere near him, to win the originating free-kick. Based on that 2 wrongs immediately made a right !

I did wonder at the time, if the facts that the handball incident stemmed from a free-kick won by a huge dive, and that any goal should have ruled out for offside were largely ignored, were due to 'English language' bias with Ghana being an English speaking country and of course the last African representatives in the first ever World Cup held in the continent, and Uruguay a Spanish speaking country with a population smaller than numerous cities and metropolitan areas around the world. ITV's coverage in the UK was disgracefully biased in favour of Ghana IMO.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's a choice between:

1. If he doesn't do it, Ghana score and win the game as it all was happening around 120th minute.
2. If he does it, his country going 1 man down doesn't mean much so late in the game and penalty can be saved, though it's improbable. Hard to blame him, as much as it was heartbreaking for Ghana.
If you have a good penalty taker a keeper can't save it, literally its impossible for a keeper to save a shot if its right in the corner.

It's on Ghana IMO.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I mean he didn't walk off the pitch immediately - and when he got a red card did a "what me?" type of reaction :lol:
Of course he did, nobody is arguing he is a pillar of the community. And he celebrated, as every man and his dog would.

You really do have to get over the whole cheating /deceiving ref angle though. Watch the first minute here and tell me Ghana winning wouldn't have been outrageous:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@huyn there was a revolution after all. Ricardo Horta playing ffs a nothing player. We keep getting shackled by Jorge Mendes crap players. The starting line up looks really unbalanced so Korea's percentage of getting a good result increases.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Isn't the Serbian team infighting (like the Belgians)? I read somewhere that someone slept with another player's girlfriend or something
I’m not sure. Not heard anything.

island

Supports
Chelsea
It's impressive the power of Ronaldo in the Portuguese national team, even today they can't take him out of the eleven, a team with so much potential...the atmosphere must be unbreathable.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Why is Ronaldo starting again? They really can't drop him even for a dead rubber can they
We can since we have André Silva and Gonçalo Ramos. The question is that Ronaldo wants to play every time to try and increase his goal tally. Since we have a manager that is a puppet he just obliges.

FattyFooty

We can since we have André Silva and Gonçalo Ramos. The question is that Ronaldo wants to play every time to try and increase his goal tally. Since we have a manager that is a puppet he just obliges.
Or maybe he just hope Ronaldo one last time start doing "Ronaldo stuff"

But yeah. Its kinda wierd. But are Portugal allready group winners?

Isnt that very important?

antohan

Imagine wheeling Suarez of all people out for the pre match press conference and pretending that the handball issue is a non matter and we should all move on..? Uruguay definitely know what they're doing. Pressure is on them to win and they're trying to bait Ghana into playing into the anger/revenge narrative which will pretty much suit Uruguay.
Yeah, we had to do that to install that narrative because nobody was bringing it up.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
@huyn there was a revolution after all. Ricardo Horta playing ffs a nothing player. We keep getting shackled by Jorge Mendes crap players. The starting line up looks really unbalanced so Korea's percentage of getting a good result increases.
That's music to my ears! I admittedly dont know Ricardo Horta, but I just checked his wikipedia page and while I wont judge him based on that, I liked what I saw :D

BarryWinks

At least a rational Sporting fan for once not you-know-who who'd have tried to justify his inclusion.

antohan

Or maybe he just hope Ronaldo one last time start doing "Ronaldo stuff"

But yeah. Its kinda wierd. But are Portugal allready group winners?

Isnt that very important?
So long as Ghana don't win they are safe. If Ghana win and they lose, they still have a spare goal in GD and H2H going for them.

Would be funny if they have to bring on all the big guns when suddenly confronted with a tie against Brazil. Stranger things have happened, well, yesterday.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That's music to my ears! I admittedly dont know Ricardo Horta, but I just checked his wikipedia page and while I wont judge him based on that, I liked what I saw :D
No creativity whatsoever in that lineup so we will play defensive. Korea gotta have the initiative.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
At least a rational Sporting fan for once not you-know-who who'd have tried to justify his inclusion.
Not a fan boy. Never was. Grateful for everything he gave to Portugal but I'm a pragmatic person.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
No creativity whatsoever in that lineup so we will play defensive. Korea gotta have the initiative.
Do you know who else is playing? Havent seen lineups for any team so far. I hope you still come to play, if you sit back we'll have trouble breaking a low block.

Sylar

~The funny thing about the Suarez handball, is that he was not the only one who tried it. The dude in front tried but failed massively. Suarez actually succeeded in it :lol:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Do you know who else is playing? Havent seen lineups for any team so far. I hope you still come to play, if you sit back we'll have trouble breaking a low block.
Diogo Costa, Diogo Dalot, Pepe, António Silva, João Cancelo, Rúben Neves, Matheus Nunes, Vitinha, João Mário, Ricardo Horta e Cristiano Ronaldo;

We will play low block and counter attack clearly.