Day 13: Ghana vs Uruguay | South Korea vs Portugal | Cameroon vs Brazil | Serbia vs Switzerland

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Diogo Costa, Diogo Dalot, Pepe, António Silva, João Cancelo, Rúben Neves, Matheus Nunes, Vitinha, João Mário, Ricardo Horta e Cristiano Ronaldo;

We will play low block and counter attack clearly.
Damn that's a pretty good, albeit defensive minded, team. Not looking good, that midfield battle is gonna be tough to win.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Him and Messi must start all games!
Why do you lots love lumping Messi and Ronaldo together for everything? Messi isn't starting in a dead rubber game and only reason he started all 3 group stage games was because Argentina still needed to win their last game. Messi wouldn't have been starting games in group stages when his country had already qualified regardless of him being goalless or not. Ronaldo is starting a dead rubber game because he's hoping to boost his individual stats, mainly goals.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Of course he did, nobody is arguing he is a pillar of the community. And he celebrated, as every man and his dog would.

You really do have to get over the whole cheating /deceiving ref angle though. Watch the first minute here and tell me Ghana winning wouldn't have been outrageous:

I am over it - I was arguing that it's perfectly reasonable/not outlandish for Ghanian's to vilify Suarez for it.

Also Ghana winning that game Uruguay wouldn't have been outrageous, it would have been deserved! They were the better side, more possessions, more shorts and were largely the better side.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
All I want for Christmas is Ronaldo getting a red card today.

Cloud7

While I am generally in favor of African teams doing well and progressing it would be quite funny if Uruguay win today, especially if it’s via a Suarez goal

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Alan Shearer waffling on about how England fear nobody after beating the mighty Iran and Wales.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Alan Shearer waffling on about how England fear nobody after beating the mighty Iran and Wales.
They shouldn’t. They have serious tournament pedigree now and nearly
all their attackers look the part contributing with goals.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It was a great game, what the World Cup knockout stages should be all about.
Yep spot on.

The idea that Ghana were robbed or hard done by in 2010 vs. Uruguay, has got to be one of the biggest footballing falsehoods / myths that I've ever heard.

1) The same player whose shot Suarez blocked, Dominic Adiyiah, dived (he threw himself to the ground) to win the originating free-kick.
2) As you said, any goal should have been ruled out for offside. It was clear to me at the time that Appiah was Ghana was offside after the ball was headed on after the free-kick was taken.

Also earlier in extra-time, Uruguay were denied a blatant penalty when Paintsil fouled Abreu (his winning paneka in the shootout was brilliant) in the box.

Ghana had absolutely no right to feel cheated or wronged that day. I supported Uruguay as the UK commentary was insufferable and so biased in favour of Ghana (I remember the commentator saying 'we're all Ghana fans now').
Agree with this. On the original free-kick I think there is a touch which could have sent Adiyiah over, but I wouldn't give it as a free-kick, rather a coming together. Hard to say because it's never really been properly replayed.
If anything, we were robbed of playing Suárez in the semifinal.
I wonder how Uruguay get on in the semi-final with Suarez (also thought the same about the missing Cavani in the 2018 quarter-final against France).

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
They shouldn’t. They have serious tournament pedigree now and nearly
all their attackers look the part contributing with goals.
You’re right. They shouldn’t. They should be up there or thereabouts with the options. Massive underachievers for years.

Wilt

Ronaldo starts ….nobody dare tell him otherwise

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Has souness said anything about last nights goal yet?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Also Ghana winning that game Uruguay wouldn't have been outrageous, it would have been deserved! They were the better side, more possessions, more shorts and were largely the better side.
I meant if there had been no handball. Two players offside from a non-existent foul.

It was a good game which deserved better... and got it! In a roundabout way, but nobody would remember it now otherwise really.

Phil

What does Leao have to do to get in the team ffs

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Nunez diving after his second touch nearly ended up in Saudi Arabia.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Dalot with an assist straight away :drool:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
My jinx is unbeatable. Horta scores

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Dalot just cemented his place for next game. Class.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I wonder how Uruguay get on in the semi-final with Suarez (also thought the same about the missing Cavani in the 2018 quarter-final against France).
Such a string of wasted opportunities... Suárez suspended in 2010, again in 2014 (absolutely his fault, with arguably a better side), then Cavani breaking up for the France game.

I don't mind what happens today because we aren't as competitive as any of those sides.

The one thing that always intrigued me though was what would have happened in a Ghana-Netherlands semi. The Dutch (Boers?) had a license to kick the shit out of everyone that Summer.

Brazil got robbed with even someone as calm as Kaká losing his shit, we got robbed in their first goal, Spain got kung fu kicked all over the pitch. Would they have been allowed to get away with MvB and NdJ kicking the shit out of the Ghanaians? What would have happened when they retaliated?

I'm sure we would be remembering that game now and it probably wouldn't be pretty.