Day 18: Croatia vs Brazil | Netherlands vs Argentina (QF 1&2)

Amsterdammed

Supports
Ajax
So what we saying?? Brazils a definite. That Netherlands game I think will be tight and could go all the way to pens. Think the Dutch may come out on top. Does the winners of todays games play each other in the semis?

Yes they do.

Kaos

So what we saying?? Brazils a definite. That Netherlands game I think will be tight and could go all the way to pens. Think the Dutch may come out on top. Does the winners of todays games play each other in the semis?
Don't think anything is a definite at this point. Croatia (and Morocco) are definitely the big underdogs remaining from these last 8 nations, but I wouldn't put it past them to get a result. Brazil could easily have an off day, and who knows - if Croatia could take it to a shootout they could take it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can really see Netherlands winning today. They've not lost yet and they do seem very hard to beat.... and they've been good at picking teams off.

Also Brazil vs. Argentina is just too nicer a semi-final for us to actually have.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
The Netherlands were poor v Senegal and only won thanks to two comical errors from the world's most overrated goalkeeper. They were poor v Ecuador and fortunate to escape with a draw and IMO if the USA had more quality in the final third they'd have gave them a right good game too. They had plenty chances. It's hard to imagine Argentina being that wasteful.

The Dutch are more than good enough to beat Argentina, don't get me wrong, it's just that I haven't seen anything from them to justify the amount of people I've seen predicting them to win. I was listening to the World Cup Daily podcast last night and all of them predicted the Netherlands to win which just blew my mind. I think the Saudi game is swaying a lot of people but that game was a total anomaly.

edit: every team except Qatar has had more shots than the Netherlands. They had a grand total of 2 v Ecuador to Ecuador's 15. If they sit back like that against Argentina, I think Messi will pick them off. The one game Argentina have struggled in was against Saudi Arabia's high press. I think NL's tactics will suit Argentina really well.

the_cliff

I can really see Netherlands winning today. They've not lost yet and they do seem very hard to beat.... and they've been good at picking teams off.

Also Brazil vs. Argentina is just too nicer a semi-final for us to actually have.
Brazil vs Argentina in recent times has always been a borefest. Cagey, but boring as hell.

Would be much better for a neutrals perspective to have Croatia - Argentina or Brazil - Netherlands.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Brazil vs Argentina in recent times has always been a borefest. Cagey, but boring as hell.

Would be much better for a neutrals perspective to have Croatia - Argentina or Brazil - Netherlands.
Please no Croatia. They've been the most boring team at the tournament.

redshaw

Netherlands have been doing well quietly. I expect LVG to have a good game plan to stop Messi, they also have a good defence and have the players on the day to create good opportunities like Argentina. Feels like an even matchup.

Real Name

Nothing is definite in football.

Telsim

Croatia already looked tired against Japan. And that was before they had to play another full 120 minutes. And they are aging. I think Brazil will crush them.

Holland play a boring, but competent game. Besides Messi, Argentina are bang average. It will be up to him to see them through. But this isn't Austrialia or Poland. Holland win with a goal in extended time.

alexo1505

Supports
Barcelona
so nervous for messi.. will be even more if they get to semifinal so better lose today

Croatia like to control games by slowing down the tempo, always have. It can look boring if the opposition is not as open as Canada, but I would not equate it with being old/tired. They can press and run if required, but they are usually avoiding run-and-gun type of games.

poleglass red

The Netherlands were poor v Senegal and only won thanks to two comical errors from the world's most overrated goalkeeper. They were poor v Ecuador and fortunate to escape with a draw and IMO if the USA had more quality in the final third they'd have gave them a right good game too. They had plenty chances. It's hard to imagine Argentina being that wasteful.

The Dutch are more than good enough to beat Argentina, don't get me wrong, it's just that I haven't seen anything from them to justify the amount of people I've seen predicting them to win. I was listening to the World Cup Daily podcast last night and all of them predicted the Netherlands to win which just blew my mind. I think the Saudi game is swaying a lot of people but that game was a total anomaly.

edit: every team except Qatar has had more shots than the Netherlands. They had a grand total of 2 v Ecuador to Ecuador's 15. If they sit back like that against Argentina, I think Messi will pick them off. The one game Argentina have struggled in was against Saudi Arabia's high press. I think NL's tactics will suit Argentina really well.
I agree with everything, but on the flip side Argentina haven't been great either. Both sides are underperforming in regards to the players they have, kind of waiting for either team to truly spark into life. I am not sure a Van Gaal team actually can, I think they will maintain their disclipned approach. They only conceded 1 goal in group stages. I fancy them to beat Argentina.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I agree with everything, but on the flip side Argentina haven't been great either. Both sides are underperforming in regards to the players they have, kind of waiting for either team to truly spark into life. I am not sure a Van Gaal team actually can, I think they will maintain their disclipned approach. They only conceded 1 goal in group stages. I fancy them to beat Argentina.
Yeah, Netherlands, despite obviously being boring, looked much more like having control of their games than Argentina. Argentina had trouble seeing off Australia too, I can only imagine what would have happened in extra time had Garang Kuol scored that added time sitter.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I agree on the groupstage, but we very comfortably beat the US. Bloodless 3-0 if not for that weird jammy goal.

I actually thing the matchup is a bit of a toss up tonight, sinceboth countries seem to struggle breaking a team down and Australian Maradona impersonator very nearly send em to extra time last game.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wouldn't be surprised to see Croatia beat Brazil just because it would be so unexpected. :lol:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Brazil 3-0 Croatia
Silva, Neymar, Raphina

Argentina 2-1 Holland (AET)
Messi x2 - Koopmeiners

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Yeah, you're right he did call Modrić but didn't use him much, that was time when Modrić vs Kranjčar was main question in our media.

What would I give to have Dudu 2005-2008 as our main striker nowdays, he would completely transform our attack. Will never stop questioning myself what if he didn't have that horrific leg injury.
What about a prime Mandzukic?

redshaw

Wouldn't be surprised to see Croatia beat Brazil just because it would be so unexpected. :lol:
Then the world would mourn.

If Perisic got an early goal and they shut up shop it could happen though. He's come close to scoring a few so far, might just be his day but I just don't see them stopping Brazil enough, not just the attack but you have Casemiro playing well, he can open up teams and score too.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

I had this same thought. Surprised to see all podcasters pick the Dutch and so many on here think they'll win when they haven't really had a good match yet. I felt the US really best themselves by playing so naive tactically, not pacing themselves and just burning out. The US really made the Dutch look better than they were by not even covering on two of those goals.

I just haven't been impressed with Netherlands at all. Of course Argentina hasn't looked fantastic but theyve had a few more impressive stretches than the Netherlands for me.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Yeah obviously on paper you look at the Brazil 11 and it's great (mostly) but if Croatia can keep it tight (and their midfield trio show up) they could do something from a set piece.

I don't know if they will have the legs to keep up after extra time vs Japan though.

avgp_1

Strong midfield from Croatia with Pasalic starting as well. They can nullify Brazil by keeping the ball circulating among them for stretches of play

BarryWinks

Remember that "Are players saving themselves for the world cup" thread?

My undisputed pick is Kovacic.

All season we've heard Chelsea fans say he can't play two games a week and that he is physically broken to the point where his minutes have to be managed (in response to questions about why he isn't in their starting eleven more often).

How then has he played every 5/6 days for Croatia including an almost 100 minutes run just over the weekend? Have they got some magic juice in the national team that his club's management know nothing about?

I bet if he played for us there'd be a lot more moaning around here given people still gave Pogba shit for how little effort he put in for France compared to us in 2018.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Brazil to win by a couple, Netherlands to win in a tight game for me. Croatia really haven't impressed me this world cup tbh. Lucky against Belgium, pens in an even game vs Japan, boring vs Morocco. Argentina have also looked awful and only played against shite opposition, yet still basically prayed for Messi to bail them out.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Exactly how I feel. Still very anxious about the match, and LVG has a lot more experience and tactical know how than Scaloni. But Dutch have been getting overrated a bit.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Brazil to win by a couple, Netherlands to win in a tight game for me. Croatia really haven't impressed me this world cup tbh. Lucky against Belgium, pens in an even game vs Japan, boring vs Morocco. Argentina have also looked awful and only played against shite opposition, yet still basically prayed for Messi to bail them out.
Saying Argentina looks awful is ridiculous. Canada looked awful, not Argentina.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don't think anything is a definite at this point. Croatia (and Morocco) are definitely the big underdogs remaining from these last 8 nations, but I wouldn't put it past them to get a result. Brazil could easily have an off day, and who knows - if Croatia could take it to a shootout they could take it.
Could do but if Croatia play like they did against Japan then they’ll get slaughtered.

al.gabiru

I think Brazil may have problems in midfield. Croatia have strong players who cover the entire pitch. And Brazil could end up with few players in the middle, just with Casemiro and Paquetá. If Neymar, Vini Jr, Raphina don't do the defensive work.

But Brazil is the favourite. Plenty of firepower on the attack, has been solid in defence.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm glad that Brazil have shown how to play Richarlison and get the best out of him and that he's an excellent player. Been criminally underrated for years.