Day 19: Brazil vs Mexico and Belgium vs Japan

Canagel

Japan have been very good this half. They are defending well and attacking at every opportunity as well. Much better than I thought they were.

Bobski

Belgium still look less than the sum of their parts, as in previous tournaments.

Hansa

Entertaining last 20 minutes. More of that in the 2nd half, please.

el3mel

Impressive game from Japan imo but lacking any cutting edge upfront. Tough to break and exerts counters well till the last third then they seem to not know what to do after that. If they add a cutting edge they can threaten Belgium a little bit.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Japan have been very good this half. They are defending well and attacking at every opportunity as well. Much better than I thought they were.
Best team from Asia by far.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Belgium still look less than the sum of their parts, as in previous tournaments.
Agreed. Yet they looked good in the group. Makes you wonder about England to an extent, and if we really did play well or simply just well against poor opponents. We shall see tomorrow though!

Lord Vader

This looks like Spain - Russia but on fast forward.
No, Belgium actually give a damm about trying to score; Spain just wasted everyone's time.

And no one on Belgium team is stupidly falling down on the pitch like Isco did (about 20 times, by my count.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Japan are decent but really want Belgium to go through. Brazil-Belgium has to happen.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Japan's passing is slick as feck. Very hard working team. Didn't start falling down to break the momentum when they had their backs against the wall. Impressive. Belgium clearly have the upper hand but Japan getting away with a win suddenly doesn't seem so unlikely anymore.

Bobski

Not really seeing the benefit of these great passers Belgium have at the back, surprised that Vertonghen and Alderweireld have been so unwilling to step forward with the ball.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Japan's passing is slick as feck. Very hard working team. Didn't start falling down to break the momentum when they had their backs against the wall. Impressive. Belgium clearly have the upper hand but Japan getting away with a win suddenly doesn't seem so unlikely anymore.
Japan have always been hard working and technically a decent team. Just lack that little spark or something special which might make them a better outfit.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Martinez is better than Wilmots but I expect Brazil to handle them well.

AndyJ1985

I expect Belgium to go through but Japan are quite good, certainly better than I thought they were

Litch

Japan technically very good on the ball and must be frustrating as hell to play against. They'll be more space in second half.....