Day 23: Uruguay vs France and Brazil vs Belgium

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Only saw the replay once and didn't look like there was any contact. VAR thought the same it looks like.
You saw the second replay though, right? It's a clear pen.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Interesting decision for no pen.

I think the logic behind it was that Jesus opted to lose control of the ball and ride the challenge. As he was never going to get the ball, it wasn’t a bad enough tackle to constitute a foul?

Toad

I don’t understand this penalty shit anymore. Was surprised to see the officials in the ‘VAR room’ not flipping a coin.

ROFLUTION

I'll be honest I haven't looked up the rules yet, but is it a pen if the ball is out even though he's brought down?
Very good question. This is why I think we really need some official and open explanations about the VAR-decisions. Like at every game-changing event. Without a democratic and open involvement, the system is just a closed circuit where things can get rigged too.

Kearnkoff69

Belgium need some possession to take the sting out of the game. Brazil is gathering too much momentum.

mav_9me

I'll be honest I haven't looked up the rules yet, but is it a pen if the ball is out even though he's brought down?
I am not sure about that part of the rule but imo the reason the ball went out the way it did was the lunging tackle and so should be a penalty anyway.

Sigma

The ball was out of play before the contact happened though.
He went to ground and put in a studs up challenge on Jesus. The action of him going to ground means Jesus has to take avoiding action and hence the ball goes out of play. Cause and effect.

Smores

No as it'd them simply be out of play.

Kompany went in the Brazil player saw the opportunity to go over but it'd already gone for me

marktan

Don't think it was a pen, Kompany went down early and pulled out and it looked like more of a coming together.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What? That is a blatant penalty. What the feck is the point of VAR?
Exactly, making the game a farce.

So what if the ball is out of play as some say? So you can just go and hack some fecker down if the ball is out of play? I don’t think so!
Absolutely bizzare how ref wasn’t asked to look at that.

I’m so glad I havnt got a horse in this race

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
VAR is really showing how many armchair fans make wrong calls even with an abundance of video evidence. the ref made the right call.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Belgium need to get a foot back in the game though, its been one way traffic so far 2nd half.

El Zoido

My understanding is that the player still has to be in control of the ball for it to be a foul. If Kompany doesn’t make the tackle he’s still not getting that ball.

SungSam7

Only thing I can see here is a yellow for Kompany for dangerous play and goal kick as the ball was gone out. No penalty!