Day 23: Uruguay vs France and Brazil vs Belgium

Kearnkoff69

No as it'd them simply be out of play.

Kompany went in the Brazil player saw the opportunity to go over but it'd already gone for me
My understanding is that the player still has to be in control of the ball for it to be a foul. If Kompany doesn’t make the tackle he’s still not getting that ball.
Cheers guys. That was my initial gut reaction, but I wasn't sure if there had been any revisions to that rule to account for situations like the Jesus incident.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Refs clearly protecting European teams in this WC. England and now Belgium.

Oddboy

Hazard is so good at holding up the ball for a small lad. Must be the master of getting free kicks by being booted in the calf.

Nucks

RT History Department
What? Stop straw-manning and actually discuss my post if you are going to quote me.
Not sure you know what that means. I wasn't straw manning, I was mocking you. Your point was pointless, hence the mocking. Please carry on.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It happened in the England v Colombia game when Colombia fouled a player when the ball was out of play in the penalty area but no penalty was awarded. If the balls out of play, it's out of play.
It's more Jesus see's Kompany in the process of going to ground, so to stop him making a clean tackle he moves the ball. That's all well and good but he's deliberately smacking it out of play and enables Kompany to touch him and then claim the pen.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Neymar is one of the worst cheaters I have ever seen. I find him impossible to like.

Sigma

There? Jesus wasn't going to stop that ball from going out as Jesus kicked it too hard. If he was able to control it, it would have been awarded a penalty I think.
Why does that matter?

He went to ground and put in a studs up challenge on Jesus. The action of him going to ground means Jesus has to take avoiding action and hence the ball goes out of play. Cause and effect.

El Zoido

So if I kick the ball out for a throwing so it’s out of play I can then go and kick lumps out of someone?
As per the Laws of the Game.

“Direct and indirect free kicks and penalty kicks can only be awarded for offences committed when the ball is in play.”

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Has anyone considered that poor Neymar just has a really low pain threshold? :smirk:

Sigma

Not sure you know what that means. I wasn't straw manning, I was mocking you. Your point was pointless, hence the mocking. Please carry on.
Straw man: an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

Your post was that. Bringing up a false-equivalence instead of replying to my actual post.

Toad

There? Jesus wasn't going to stop that ball from going out as Jesus kicked it too hard. If he was able to control it, it would have been awarded a penalty I think.
Most likely. Looks like he saw Kompany going to ground and knocked the ball out of his path but still managed to knock it too far away from him.

diarm

Has Hazard passed a ball to Lukaku yet in this tournament?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's more Jesus see's Kompany in the process of going to ground, so to stop him making a clean tackle he moves the ball. That's all well and good but he's deliberately smacking it out of play and enables Kompany to touch him and then claim the pen.
Maybe, maybe not. Refs can't make decisions on why a player may have kicked a ball x,y or z. Can only make a decision on what actually happened.

el3mel

Brazil aren't threatening the goal anymore. Think Belgium is far more comfortable now than in the first half.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It happened in the England v Colombia game when Colombia fouled a player when the ball was out of play in the penalty area but no penalty was awarded. If the balls out of play, it's out of play.
That’s out of play at a dead ball situation. Totally different!
If someone is running down the wing and as someone is coming flying towards him he kicks it out of play, if that’s a leg breaking two footer you think it wouldn’t be a free kick?