Day 5: Sweden vs South Korea, Belgium vs Panama and Tunisia vs England (19H00)

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Get in! Great use of var as it was 100% a pen as well.

Is it just me or are the replays they show during VAR really crappy? It isn't until after it's been awarded that they actually show conclusive replays and replays that aren't 100 mph.
Yea I agree and I don’t really get why it’s a problem, every other “normal” slo-mo replay is perfect.

Santos J

Why not ? The ref allowed them to continue and score before stopping play for the VAR
Because it wouldn't have come to that if the correct decision was made in real time. I'd imagine the ideal situation is to stop play when it's in a neutral area but the ref probably got told to check as the Korean's were on the break so had to pull it back there and then so they didn't go on and score. It's happened in the Dutch cup, Feyenoord scored but it got chalked off after the ref eventually checked VAR and gave a penalty the opposite way.

Deleted member 101472

Just put Mexico and Germany through in this group already.

Eila

Good shit if the result stands. Sweden would need to play for a draw vs Germany, which of course, is easier said than done. But they should be motivated after watching Germany play yesterday.

marktan

Jesus the Koreans are really, really bad. Misplacing basic passes every time they go forward.

Not really looking forward to the expanded 48 team world cup as a lot of the allocation goes to America and Asia.

pjaya

For all the secrecy the Korean make during training... this is all they got

pjaya

Jesus the Koreans are really, really bad. Misplacing basic passes every time they go forward.

Not really looking forward to the expanded 48 team world cup as a lot of the allocation goes to America and Asia.
Is it confirmed? The expended allocation?
Hope not too many bad games

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I fecking hate this time wasting, pretending to be injured right before being subbed

Eila

Is it confirmed? The expended allocation?
Hope not too many bad games
I believe CONCACAF is going from 3.5 to 6.33, AFC 4.5 to 8.33, CAF from 5 to 9.33, UEFA 13 to 16, CONMEBOL 4.5 to 6.33, OFC from 0.5 to 1.33.
There's going to be 2 playoff spots for 6 teams, 1 from each confederation except UEFA + 1 extra from the host confederation, so for 2026 CONCACAF would have 6 + 2 playoff spots. Looking forward to seeing Guatemala try to beat whoever finishes 7th in CONMEBOL.

pjaya

I believe CONCACAF is going from 3.5 to 6.33, AFC 4.5 to 8.33, CAF from 5 to 9.33, UEFA 13 to 16, CONMEBOL 4.5 to 6.33, OFC from 0.5 to 1.33.
There's going to be 2 playoff spots for 6 teams, 1 from each confederation except UEFA + 1 extra from the host confederation, so for 2026 CONCACAF would have 6 + 2 playoff spots. Looking forward to seeing Guatemala try to beat whoever finishes 7th in CONMEBOL.
Thanks for the information
Look like nz will be a feature for most of future World Cup?

pjaya

Korean haven’t lost an opening for 20 years
Not a bad record

marktan

Got to say this ref and his linesman have been blowing for way too many fouls, kills the game when a fouls given every 2 minutes. Half of them are barely fouls as well.

Hansa

I'm not necessarily against the idea of a bigger World Cup. The best teams will win it anyway. But I've heard that there will be groups of three instead? Bad idea. Only two games for the once-in-a-lifetime fans, plus you'll no longer have the final group games being played simultaneously.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Makes South American qualification very unexciting. For Europe it basically doesn't change a thing.

PoTMS

So many teams in this World Cup who look toothless going forward with a useless lump up front. Both Sweden and Korea are no exception.

Inter Yer Nan

I'm not necessarily against the idea of a bigger World Cup. The best teams will win it anyway. But I've heard that there will be groups of three instead? Bad idea. Only two games for the once-in-a-lifetime fans, plus you'll no longer have the final group games being played simultaneously.
I think it’s confirmed that it will be groups of three. Utterly bonkers IMO.

PoTMS

I don't like the idea of a group of three either but on the plus side, the group stages are largely redundant as they are anyway and this way there'll be more KO matches.

James Peril

Got to say this ref and his linesman have been blowing for way too many fouls, kills the game when a fouls given every 2 minutes. Half of them are barely fouls as well.
Huge problem in modern football. And people falling to the ground for no apparent reason, just because they can and because it's clever. Example yesterday; Lichsteiner gets a little slap - goes to the ground in agony. Would he do the same if it happened outside of a football field or if they were losing? Of course not. Players are on the ground for 45 seconds - 2 minutes all the time. Every game. The referee, who's supposed to stop the game only because of head injuries, stops because the players ask him to.