Day 6: Wales vs Iran | Qatar vs Senegal | Netherlands vs Ecuador | England vs USA

Doracle

English losing today would be a great piece of drama
As Southgate said, England need to make history today. They’ve never beaten the US at a World Cup. Wouldn’t entirely surprise me if it was a 1-1 draw.

Lyng

Still stand by my statement on how shite this group is. Now for England to bring my money home.
Yeah I have to agree. Iran where the best team by a mile today, but they didnt exactly play well. Fully expect England to get all 9 points without breaking much of a sweat.

Sylar

In the studio, they werent sure if it was just a coming together with the keeper :lol: Crazy

Tony247

Did you even watch the game? Prior to the red card, Iran should have scored they were pretty much the better team.
Yeh between wales and Iran Iran were slightly better. But they didn't have quality in final third to finish the chances. Towards the end both teams were gassed. I don't see how any of them would have scored had there not been that red.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Happy for Carlos Quirez. Great moments for Iran.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Unfortunate for Wales but if they were going to -pretty much- go out happy it was giving Iran a lifeline.

It's not that I forget or overlook the politics and how it can be used... I just disagree with mixing politics and football. It's not fair on the players or regular Iranian people who ultimately must want their country to do well, surely. I would, probably more so in this context.

They are quite clearly a better side.

Bole Top

I was a kid back then and was living in Yugoslavia, but I do remember very well that Iran managed to beat USA in "our" group at WC 1998. is this their first match since then? they were probably the worst teams there, now it could actually be a decent match for various reasons.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeh between wales and Iran Iran were slightly better. But they didn't have quality in final third to finish the chances. Towards the end both teams were gassed. I don't see how any of them would have scored had there not been that red.
Unfair on Iran.

They were miles better than Wales. Especially 2nd half.

RedDevilRoshi

I thought they gave as much as they have to be honest. They just lack the quality.
But then again when you look at what they produced at Euro 2016 & even qualifying from their group at Euro 2021, with the same lower league level type of players bar a few, I was expecting/hoping for similar.

Smacky The Frog

What is with England fans fishing for credit for beating Iran and then pointing to this match as more reason for them (England) to get praise? Of course Iran played better against Wales - this is what happens when you play a team closer to your level. Was anyone under the misconception that Iran or Wales are anywhere near England?

Kopral Jono

I said Iran were going to get something but I didn't expect that from Wales, they were absolutely diabolical. Ramsey belongs in the dustbin of history. They would have lost by five clear goals if it was a better side playing against them today.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Sitting here in the office with goosebumps watching those Iran celebrations, what it means to them and all the ramifications to those back home. Well done.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Is an Iran VS Saudi Arabia final possible? :nervous:

PoTMS

Really pathetic from the BBC to try and act as if Iran were involved in gamesmanship. More like, Wales were diving all over the place.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Weird for them to frame this as being cruel on Wales
This has been a feature of the commentary for a long time. You just feel like the media are there to push a narrative instead of reporting things as they are. Iran were the much better team. Terrible in the last third though with not enough quality.

Lecland07

But then again when you look at what they produced at Euro 2016 & even qualifying from their group at Euro 2021, with the same lower league level type of players bar a few, I was expecting/hoping for similar.
It is not really the same, though. Bale and Ramsey are even older. Bale was at Real Madrid back then but now he is in LA.

They weren't great in the Euros, but Bale was still able to give something. He cannot do anything, nowadays.

ShinjiNinja26

Happy with that result. Listening to the radio heading into work this morning and the Wales fans arrogance was unbelievable, thinking they just had to turn up and they’d win, talking about wanting to see Hat-tricks etc. :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I was a kid back then and was living in Yugoslavia, but I do remember very well that Iran managed to beat USA in "our" group at WC 1998. is this their first match since then? they were probably the worst teams there, now it could actually be a decent match for various reasons.
Think they played a friendly in US a few years later.

Already looking forward to it, will be a classic third match group stage fixture.

We will lose this dramatic moments going to 48 teams from 2026.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Really pathetic from the BBC to try and act as if Iran were involved in gamesmanship. More like, Wales were diving all over the place.
What the feck is the flying German talking about? Diving became a vocation thanks to him in the early 90s.

They might as well roll John Fashanu in to the studio to talk about Iran's treatment of LBGT. I'm voting for the next party that mandates no more BBC licence fee.

Hanks

Wow, what an ending....weirdest thing was just feeling how different this would have felt 3 months ago compared to now (personally almost felt indifferent, it's like my mind and body clashing to weather create an emotional response or not)...but you can't say it was undeserved. Also both our goals in Russia came in second half injury time, penalty monday and now this. Must be some streak.

What a crying shame that the regime will use this as propaganda of how they won because players sang? the anthem pre-match and how it was the magic of that caused the win bla bla. Ugh, and now to USA on Tuesday...civil war inside my body really.....Shame it's like this, as just yesterday the regime arrested a former-national team player (Vouria Ghafouri) who was part of the WC2014 roster and handcuffed him at his team's training in front of his teammates for his instagram posts about the protests.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...fouri-arrested-ahead-of-wales-match-world-cup

Also, how bad are Wales? I've seen teams like Lebanon and Bahrain give Iran much tougher game than Wales. They were utter turd all match.Wow!

Also, AFC teams...well done to them.

Last edited:

Giggsyking

What a wonderful WC this is turning out. Keep going Asian teams. Beautiful.

cyberman

Absolutely no chance. Today’s game really brought home how bad Wales are. Which, in turn, reinforces how shit the US are.
I dunno, it’s the pressure that goals bring that levels it up. Wouldn’t surprise me to see a Maguire feck up with Kane dropping too deep giving USA a glimmer

Pintu

You mean “is this their first win since then”… No it isn’t… They won a game in 2018 and were in it for the qualification up to the death (in a group with Portugal and Spain). They are the highest ranked Asian team currentply (even though h2hs in AFC shows that the level of the top 5 there is always very close).

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Thought 1st half was pretty even but Wales wilted in the Qatari heat - these morning kick offs for us are hottest part of the day out there

Iran deserved the points