g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 7: Portugal vs Morocco, Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia and Iran vs Spain

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Portugal isn't as good as we looked against Spain but nowhere near as bad as today.

The early goal made us play on the counter and the players deep down weren't playing like it was a vital game. Morocco wanted it more and we're unlucky not to score.
I don't like Santos team, he should use Guedes as a winger and have Andre Silva playing, he would have scored today.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I don't like Santos team, he should use Guedes as a winger and have Andre Silva playing, he would have scored today.
Disagree. A.Silva scored 10 goals in the whole season, most of them against crappy teams in the Europa League. Guedes was alright, he worked a lot defensively to help out Guerreiro and he was good on the counter. Our problems were bigger than that.

Santos is often criticized for not changing enough and keeping the old players but then the games come and he's proved right. Nani should have come into this World Cup btw, I don't care that he never played throughout the season.

Loublaze

ATLien
Messi's Argentina hardly deserve it either.

And I say that as a Messi fan. Maradona's Argentina also rode their luck too.
Argentina missed a penalty and came up against a really well drilled team in iceland. Portugal have been outplayed twice now.

Loublaze

ATLien
They weren't outplayed against Spain.
Spain came back twice and were on the hunt for a fourth. Portugal were on the ropes for the entire second half and only had 3 attempts on target all game with 33% possession.

el3mel

Spain came back twice and were on the hunt for a fourth. Portugal were on the ropes for the entire second half and only had 3 attempts on target all game with 33% possession.
Since when possession is a base for anything ?

Portugal is a defensive team by nature and isn't going to control possession. They were up twice while Spain gained the lead only once. It was mostly an even game and each team played the game they do well.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Has Suarez always been this chunky? He looks stockier usual, unless those Puma shirts are snugger than what he wears at Barca. Either way, he looks like he's got moobs that are about to burst out.

He looks a bit slow, too.

Loublaze

ATLien

Portugal is a defensive team by nature and isn't going to control possession. They were up twice while Spain gained the lead only once. It was mostly an even game and each team played the game they do well.
They were gasping for air in the second half. Couldn't hold on to the ball for dear life and couldn't handle the Spanish press. It had little to do with them being defensive, they were useless in possession and committed more fouls than they suffered. Spain had twice the number of attempts on target and more corners. Portugal were clinical with two set pieces and one goal in open play. Ronaldo barely touched the ball in the second half. Portugal were outplayed and you'd agree with it if Ronaldo didn't score that late freekick that came against the run of play

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Saudi's not playing too bad. I guess the imminent threat of decapitation can be hugely motivational.

Rajma

Not sure what Tabarez is thinking by playing Sanchez such a average and slow player

Ban

Spain owned them in the 2nd half and would win if Pique wouldn't have made that stupid foul. The fact who took the lead more doesn't have anything with it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Portugal were very bend but dont break. Yeah they played shit but they show they can win and not concede clear cut chances even when that happens. Morocco with all the play but Portugal still had the goal and a clear chance with Guedes and a few half chances apart from that, and dangerous free kicks. Despite playing shite. Morocco had dangerous positions that didnt result in any quality chances actually thinking about it. Especially when you consider how much that game mattered for Morocco compared to Portugal... they'll be a tough game for anyone. Quarter finals could line up to be them vs France or Argentina potentially, a who knows how that would go.

Saudi's here looking better, though theyll likely lose by a couple. They were pretty embarrassing against Russia.

Eila

Uruguay have so many aged players. I think they might have a downwards cycle after the cup.

el3mel

They were gasping for air in the second half. Couldn't hold on to the ball for dear life and couldn't handle the Spanish press. It had little to do with them being defensive, they were useless in possession. Spain had twice the number of attempts on target and more corners. Portugal were clinical with two set pieces and one goal in open play. Ronaldo barely touched the ball in the second half. Portugal were outplayed and you'd agree with it if Ronaldo didn't score that late freekick that came against the run of play
They entered second half winning 2-1. They weren't the team supposed to attack, that was Spain.

A 3-2 or 3-3 game is never called "team outplayed the other" for me.

Eila

Not sure what Tabarez is thinking by playing Sanchez such a average and slow player
Didn't he take the set piece winner vs Egypt? The other 2 players that started that match weren't much better.

el3mel

Spain owned them in the 2nd half and would win if Pique wouldn't have made that stupid foul. The fact who took the lead more doesn't have anything with it.
Again, Portugal were winning starting the second half. The team who was supposed to attack to equalize was Spain, not them. Portugal played their usual defensive game, away from the result.

Loublaze

ATLien
They entered second half winning 2-1. They weren't the team supposed to attack, that was Spain.

A 3-2 or 3-3 game is never called "team outplayed the other" for me.
Being outplayed does not equal being outclassed and is not dependent on the result. United outplayed Arsenal in the 2005 FA cup final but lost on penalties.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Horrendous refereeing. It was so obvious and the linesman was right there.

el3mel

Being outplayed does not equal being outclassed and is not dependent on the result. United outplayed Arsenal in the 2005 FA cup final but lost on penalties.
Lost on penalties, not in a 3-3 scoring games. I have never seen this Portugal side attacking much to say I have seen anything different. They're always defensive and jammy upfront.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Wow if Uruguay can't even beat Saudi Arabia esp in a game that can seal them qualification, I have no words. So it is true that South American teams really struggle in Europe? Welcome to Russia!

el3mel

Maybe Russia is really that good after all ? :D Only team in the group that played proper football so far.

Hamzah

Fahad Almuwalad the lone striker is the only one who can cause damage. He’s quick and can hit the ball hard. Other than that we have no hope.