Day 7: Ukraine vs North Macedonia | Denmark vs Belgium | Netherlands vs Austria

el3mel

Example of what ? Not appreciating him ? He's a good guy and a decent player. I don't have to believe he's a great player just to be properly appreciating him. Some here were arguing that he's playing different kind of football that needs understanding from his teammates and fans and I thought this way of thinking is so weird, and weirdly, it's always said about Dutch players as if they play football differently from other players in the world.

el3mel

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Probably right on that but LVG was a bleeding disaster from day one at United and it was just a bad fit all the way around
Selling all our stikers and signing a crock as well as a donkey in Schneiderlein didn't help

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Example of what ? Not appreciating him ? He's a good guy and a decent player. I don't have to believe he's a great player just to be properly appreciating him. Some here were arguing that he's playing different kind of football that needs understanding from his teammates and fans and I thought this way of thinking is so weird, and weirdly, it's always said about Dutch players as if they play football differently from other players in the world.
It is your right to absolutely. And yes, I do think Dutch football in some way/the right way can be very different to how football is played/valued in mainly England, mainly Ajax to be honest.

For Blind specifically, I thought so. Blind played as a pressing CVM despite his lack of pace and athleticism. Think this cost him a lot because the other midfielders wouldnt join him. To be fair, it would be quite dumb of him to keep playing that way, mainly in a 4-1-4-1 with Mata, Young, Fellaini and Herrera.

At Ajax, winning the title isnt enough. Fans genuinely look back to the de Boer period as bad, whilst winning 4 titles in a row. Because the football was bad.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It is your right to absolutely. And yes, I do think Dutch football in some way/the right way can be very different to how football is played/valued in mainly England, mainly Ajax to be honest.

For Blind specifically, I thought so. Blind played as a pressing CVM despite his lack of pace and athleticism. Think this cost him a lot because the other midfielders wouldnt join him. To be fair, it would be quite dumb of him to keep playing that way, mainly in a 4-1-4-1 with Mata, Young, Fellaini and Herrera.

At Ajax, winning the title isnt enough. Fans genuinely look back to the de Boer period as bad, whilst winning 4 titles in a row. Because the football was bad.
You'll like this

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
You'll like this
I remember this, de Boer is a very stubborn manager and not very good one either I'd say. But that wasn't comparable. His results were horrible at Crystal Palace and quite good at Ajax, with relatively poor players. Ajax still managed to put up a few impressive performances in Europe against the likes of City, United, Barcelona.

el3mel

I think Blind was a pretty decent LB but his pace hurt him in this position a little bit, still I believe it was the position he played his best games for us there. He could do a job in CB but he always had flaws there that used to bite him from time to time. As a CDM though, LVG tried him in this position in some games and it was an absolute disaster. Maybe he could play it in a slower league but in PL it was way too much for him.

Overall a decent player and a likeable guy but really not a player I'll classify as great, and I don't feel like United fecked up by selling him. I think it worked for both parties. He's better at Ajax and United didn't lose much. No regrets from both sides imo.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I think Blind was a pretty decent LB but his pace hurt him in this position a little bit, still I believe it was the position he played his best games for us there. He could do a job in CB but he always had flaws there that used to bite him from time to time. As a CDM though, LVG tried him in this position in some games and it was an absolute disaster. Maybe he could play it in a slower league but in PL it was way too much for him.

Overall a decent player and a likeable guy but really not a player I'll classify as great, and I don't feel like United fecked up by selling him. I think it worked for both parties. He's better at Ajax and United didn't lose much. No regrets from both sides imo.
I disagree but that's fair, I can follow that opinion.

GMoore23

LVG played him up top a few times. I remember one game specifically against Norwich where he just kept missing chances.
LVG actually started him out as a 10 for us before switching him to the left.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
This Dumphries RB for Netherlands looks good going forward. Should be well sought after.
The interesting thing is that he isn't that highly rated in Holland for his offensive abilities I'd say. He has a huge drive, stamina and athleticism, but he isn't very cultured on the ball. His final ball is often quite poor, so is his passing and dribbling. But the intent is defintely there, as is the power. He has been quite a surprise so far as many wanted Karsdorp to play as wing back.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The interesting thing is that he isn't that highly rated in Holland for his offensive abilities I'd say. He has a huge drive, stamina and athleticism, but he isn't very cultured on the ball. His final ball is often quite poor, so is his passing and dribbling. But the intent is defintely there, as is the power. He has been quite a surprise so far as many wanted Karsdorp to play as wing back.
I know he grabbed the winner in your opening game, but I thought overall he looked pretty poor and wasted a number of good chances, precisely because of the bolded bit.

hubbuh

Playing at the same time as Kluivert, Bergkamp and van Nistlerooy probably didn't help him
Yeah but then Bergkamp, Kluivert, Van Nistelrooy, Makaay, Van Hooijdonk, Van Vossen...
Very good points. Crazy when you think all those names were around at the same time for one nation (ish), and then think about the complete dearth of quality strikers about nowadays. Bit shit really

bosskeano

The Italy/Swiss, Denmark/Belgium game were a hell of a lot more entertaining than this match

PoTMS

Honestly, for the umpteenth time. Jenas, what the feck are you babbling on about?