De Gea Contract Situation

Do you think David De Gea will sign a new contract at Man Utd this season?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but he'll still leave by the end of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prateik

We should welcome De Gea back by packing OT, setting up a stage, giving him a new suit and lobbing balls at him gently for him to catch while the photographers click away...

That's all he really wants.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
This might just be my favourite transfer saga ever. Somehow getting De Gea signing contract extension will be icing on cake.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Will be interesting how we handle this now. He is still the best goalkeeper we have, so you must play him. But if he wasn't mentally ready before, I can't imagine what he's like at the moment.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Will be interesting how we handle this now. He is still the best goalkeeper we have, so you must play him. But if he wasn't mentally ready before, I can't imagine what he's like at the moment.
I think we will play him. LvG had promised he will revisit De Gea situation after 1st Sep if he is still here. Given Romero's mistake for 2nd goal, I expect De Gea to return sooner rather than later.

Nogbadthebad

I genuinely cannot work out how this has all unfolded!

If it is simply a case of Real holding off 6 months to save themselves £20m and paying this rumoured £5m compensation to De Gea for failing to sign him, can't help but feel we've been screwed.

I'd like to think we'd get a good year out of him, but van Gaal may be willing to leave him out of the team for the season!

Van Gaal will play him, he already said so. I'm not sure we have been screwed, Dave certainly has though. Hes losing about £3.5 million a year in wages by not signing that new contract, so £7 million by the time he leaves, and that is just wages, let alone the improved image rights. If I were De Gea, I would feel like a complete idiot for being played be madrid. because he has been.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
If I were De Gea, if the deal falls through, I would sign a 1 year extension with United (on better wages) with a release clause that I can leave for 29 million quid to Madrid at the end of the season. This would mean I get better pay immediately, greater security that I will not left high and dry if I have a career-ending injury (which puts paid to me moving to Madrid) and also the assurance that I would be able to move to Madrid next season. The additional bonus would be LVG would have confidence that my head was screwed on right and I would be no. 1 for the season just before the Euros.
This. Sadly though I think he is neither that smart nor better advised.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I've no issue with him wanting to leave for Real, his perogative to do as he sees best and pursue his personal ambitions.

However rather than slide immediately back into the team and our fickle fan's good books I'd sit him on the bench until he signs an extension with a proper buyout clause, reflecting his real value. Similarly it's our perogative as a business to ensure we get maximum value for our asset.

Matty7

Wonder if this will lead to him signing a new contract? That £150k a week must look tempting now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Van Gaal will play him, he already said so. I'm not sure we have been screwed, Dave certainly has though. Hes losing about £3.5 million a year in wages by not signing that new contract, so £7 million by the time he leaves, and that is just wages, let alone the improved image rights. If I were De Gea, I would feel like a complete idiot for being played be madrid. because he has been.
I would assume that Madrid will still get him, just at a lower price. Presumably they can then offer him better conditions to make up for the money he's lost?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Only if he plays.

Plus even then we're essentially losing out on €40m for one season of DDG. He isn't worth that.
He'll play. I don't think we care about the money. I can't see the negatives of this really. He'll be have to at his best as the Euros are next year and he needs to secure his place in Spain XI. Plus we will have another year to scout our GK targets.

Mali_Zeus

Wonder if this will lead to him signing a new contract? That £150k a week must look tempting now.
THis. Could it happen he will sign given what a farce Madrid made out of this whole deal, not to mention they didn't do everything in their powers to get him, unlike some other signings.

Grib

The good news is the international break, bit of time for lvg/ed etc to decide what to do with him

Yep. Not that he needs the money, and I don't feel sorry for him whatsoever (people who do need to get their priorities straight), but he has been royally fecked from an economic point of view :drool:

Heardy

But what is Madrid's motive - can't say they've "played him," rather let him down due to incompetence perhaps!

I just can't see De Gea recovering the focus that van Gaal said he was lacking previously. It's just a clusterf*ck of the proportions i don't think I've seen before. Are there any winners from the scenario?

Real look like a circus act.
We lose £20m and have a player whose head is likely elsewhere, so unlikely to get the level of service we'd want to warrant the financial hit.
De Gea loses out on the move he wants.

Ringo 07

Absolutely delighted we will be getting the worlds second best keeper for another season with Neuer being defo the best.....At the end of the day De Gea will realize that Perez stabbed him in the back and that absolutely will motivate him to play well for us starting with the Liverpool game......will be great to not see Romero in goal again as he is nothing more than a back up keeper.....Delighted to have De Gea back..Obviously it's his dream move to his hometown in Madrid but he will be professional and will be focused again

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
fecking get in there. Now we just hope that van Gaal isn't too stubborn and actually plays him. I'm sure he will. De Gea to have a great game vs Liverpool first game back? No better way to be welcomed back to the team.

Loublaze

ATLien
De Gea will now have to sign that contract if he wants to guarantee himself playing time because LVG is crazy enough to stick with Romero

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Yes! I for one am happy. A lot can happen between now and next summer. DDG could easily sign a new contract to get a pay bump. Navas could have a stormer for Madrid and they may not want DDG anymore.

Trizy

What a disaster.. lets just hope both Dave and LVG can be professionals about it and start working to getting Dave back into the team sheet. No point weakening our best 11 out of pride even if he is off for free next year.

van Persie

Isn't this fiasco awfully similar to the Coentrao debacle? embarrassing for both clubs

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Feck!

De Gea stays?
Posted at12:45

The plot thickens. The Champions League tweet, supposedly confirming that David de Gea will be staying at Manchester United has now been deleted. Read into that would you wish.

Sam

If this does a full 360 and he ends up signing a new contract at United, it will cement this as the greatest transfer saga of all time.

Heardy

Loving all the idle speculation on DDG's mental state. Didn't realise we had so many armchair psychiatrists here.
Didn't van Gaal say that he was lacking focus? Given De Gea wants the move, you don't need to be a psychiatrist to think it's likely his head is elsewhere.

Doesn't stop him being professional, but its not exactly ideal is it.

Siorac

Loving all the idle speculation on DDG's mental state. Didn't realise we had so many armchair psychiatrists here.
More like psychologists, to be fair. You need a psychiatrist for Joey Barton and Mourinho.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Poll closed, no more changing your votes beeatches :)

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Madrid want him for free, don't they?

Scamming fecking pricks! they don't mind spunking cash left, right and centre, but won't give us a reasonable amount for the best keeper in the world? idiots.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I imagine he'll leave next year, but will end up as our main goalkeeper again this season. It's in neither parties interests to hold out on the other for the following year.

We need to be playing De Gea because he's by far the best goalkeeper we have available. De Gea will need to be playing for us because if he doesn't, Spain may be reluctant to make him their number 1 for the Euros next year. Plus, a year of no football could potentially make Real Madrid more hesitant about buying him next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.