De Gea Contract Situation

Do you think David De Gea will sign a new contract at Man Utd this season?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but he'll still leave by the end of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Below I've pasted an article from Marca "Real Madrids mouthpiece". I read the website on pretty much a daily basis and the below article is blatantly one that's come from the club itself as propaganda. Looks like Madrid purposely pulled out of the deal while making it look as though it failed somehow.

Real MadridandManchester United, the game's two richest clubs, both with an abundant history of big-money signings, failed farcically to finalise a deal which would have seenDavid de Geajoin the La Liga giants andKeylor Navashead toOld Trafford.

Apparently,time and bureaucracy led to De Gea's transfer falling through, all amid astonishment and a string of choice words aimed at Manchester United and Real Madrid.There can be no doubt that the two clubs have tarnished their reputation in the eyes of the greater footballing world.

In a nutshell, Real Madrid appear to have got what they finally wanted, whilst the outcome has definitely done Manchester United no harm at all.

Signing De Gea has looked less and less enticing for Real Madrid over the past few weeks, thus increasing the chances of him staying in the Premier League.

Then Keylor Navas served up a masterclass in Real Madrid's home game against Betis. He played as though his life depended on it and the Bernabéu faithful hailed him like a hero. That night, the fans made it clear they were against signing De Gea and letting Keylor Navas leave. On top of that,Romeroput in a poor performance in United's away defeat toSwansea.

A day later, Keylor Navas was still at Real Madrid and David de Gea in England. The young Spanish keeper is the stand-out victim of this summer's transfer saga. He is now set to be the first-choice keeper at a club which he no longer wants to play for, whilst Navas will get to play in goal where he always wanted to.Real Madrid fans will get the keeper they apparently wanted and Manchester United will breathe a sigh of relief now that De Gea can take over from Romero.

Read more:Real Madrid: De Gea falls victim to ridiculously convenient outcome - MARCA.com (English version)
Thanks for sharing, I don´t see propaganda to be honest.He says that both clubs have tarnished their reputation. Segurola is a very good journalist, one of the best, I can´t imagine him putting his pants down like Pedrerol.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
De Gea might reasonably conclude that he's been conned. Maybe he'll go somewhere else.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
What have the Atletico fans been making of all this? I bet they're laughing their bollocks off!

Last edited:

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Thanks for sharing, I don´t see propaganda to be honest.He says that both clubs have tarnished their reputation. Segurola is a very good journalist, one of the best, I can´t imagine him putting his pants down like Pedrerol.
When Marca are saying it's 50/50 you know that Real must have seriously ballsed up. I'm not expecting this chap to win a Peabody award any time soon, especially when he works for a paper with all the impartiality of Der Sturmer!

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
When Marca are saying it's 50/50 you know that Real must have seriously ballsed up. I'm not expecting this chap to win a Peabody award any time soon, especially when he works for a paper with all the impartiality of Der Sturmer!
Madrid has probably more to blame but Navas contract was signed at 23:30. On the cover of tomorrow they say that now everything depends on De Gea since Madrid don´t want to negotiate with United. If they take that position, after so many transfer sagas, then maybe United did also something wrong? . Don´t judge Segurola for working in Marca, probably they signed him to appear in the photo. Before he worked in Ser and now collaborates with Onda Cero, with Sid Lowe or Ballagué.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Wait.. hang on.. how much did United cough up for Martial? :eek:
30m euros initially, and 5m euros each summer for the next four years for a total of 50m euros, that's the base price.

There are three clauses. One, is 5m euros each time he wins the Premier League leading goalscorer, up to a max of 15m euros. Two, is 5m euros, if he wins the Golden Boy. Three, 10m euros if he wins the Ballon d'Or. A total of 30m in clauses.

So, 80m overall, if he become some absolute worldie.

Enigma_87

You know who
Why would he sign a new contract? I can't see any rational explanation for this.

He was pushing for the move 1 year. If he's under a longer contract we may as well not sell him. Even if we put a release clause why would Real pay it? If he's to leave next year why couldn't he be sold in January or leave for free next year.

I understand if del Bosque quote would pressure him to sign a contract but it's not like Spain have much options, Valdes is past it and probably won't play as well, Iker was crap last year and doubt he'll make the spot regardless of playing the whole year. Who else will they put? Asenjo, Kiko?

dsch

On the cover of tomorrow they say that now everything depends on De Gea since Madrid don´t want to negotiate with United. If they take that position, after so many transfer sagas, then maybe United did also something wrong?
It's a well-known fact of human psychology that you hate the person you wronged more than the person who wronged you.

surf

Going forward the interesting question to me is what does De Gea think about how Real Madrid handled this. He may not be happy with them. Sure they can offer him a lot of money to play for them next season, but so can United.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
30m euros initially, and 5m euros each summer for the next four years for a total of 50m euros, that's the base price.

There are three clauses. One, is 5m euros each time he wins the Premier League leading goalscorer, up to a max of 15m euros. Two, is 5m euros, if he wins the Golden Boy. Three, 10m euros if he wins the Ballon d'Or. A total of 30m in clauses.

Ok, so a total of €50m then. :p

I don't get the 5m each summer though, is that a very common clause? How does it work? If you sell him before his contract is up you don't have to pay it? Anyway, just realised that's for another thread.

Timdbro

Ah, ok I see. Because I remember the majority calling us crazy to splash about the same amount on James. If he turns out as good a signing though...
Not sure how the James deal was structured, but I remember figures of £63m being mentioned. Martial's fee is for a guaranteed £36m.

Kounan

I don't get the 5m each summer though, is that a very common clause? How does it work? If you sell him before his contract is up you don't have to pay it? Anyway, just realised that's for another thread.
We have to pay it, it's just easier this way because of cash issues.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

No, even if we sold him next year, we'd have to finish of the payments to make 50m.

Most transfers are organised like that, it's very rare, barring activating release clauses, that players are paid for in lump sums.

Take yourselves, when you bought Bale off Spurs, you hadn't even paid for Modric yet. Apparently, not even *started* paying for him.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
No, even if we sold him next year, we'd have to finish of the payments to make 50m.

Most transfers are organised like that, it's very rare, barring activating release clauses, that players are paid for in lump sums.

Take yourselves, when you bought Bale off Spurs, you hadn't even paid for Modric yet. Apparently, not even *started* paying for him.
Ok, didn't know this, cheers.

Skizzo

Hopefully De Gea decides to stay and signs a new contract.
Navas feels like he was being forced out, gets disillusioned at Madrid and demands a transfer.

Madrid play Pepe in goal.

dsch

3:30

Sid Lowe discusses what went wrong with the Madrid deal and pretty much agrees that the blame lies solely with Madrid.
This is very informative. Madrid's story about waiting on United for TMS simply doesn't add up.

fatboy

It's not even about incompetence or tardiness. It's the fact that Real chose to move for a player they clearly already wanted and could easily afford, on the last day of a 2-month long transfer window. Even taking into account resolving the Ramos issue, Real had easily 2-3 weeks left to act. Once you leave things to the last minute, nothing is guaranteed because shit happens. And shit happened.

RedDevil@84

I dont think De Gea has the balls to go against Mendes and Edurne and sign a new contract.

Sheldon69

he won't be taking penaltys then !

Jinn

As someone mentioned, De Gae has to sign. If he gets a career ending injury the money dries up. Risk management.
Based on this I think he'll sign an extension.

Kant-ona

They call Van Gaal "The iron tulip" for a reason... If he really has one of his Machiavelli-days he will invite DeGea to his office and blackmail him: If you sign a new contract (with an exit clause for the next summer) you will be immediately my number one again. Which means that you will be also Spain's number one at France 2016. Which means you will arrive at Madrid next season as a player... who has actually played football. And if Madrid lost interest you are still United's number one."

(Not totally serious about that one, but what I wanted to say: The longer you look at the whole picture the more you see that DeGea is in a weak position.)

3:30

Sid Lowe discusses what went wrong with the Madrid deal and pretty much agrees that the blame lies solely with Madrid.
Very interesting, thanks a lot.

I, as a United fan, will obviously want my club to be in the right, but what he says just really confirms it. I don't see how we did anything wrong here.

I have no trouble believing Madrid about the fact that United weren't willing to negotiate until the final day of the window. But the reason for that is obviously that we didn't receive the offer we wanted until then.

Also, it's funny how they've been caught in a lie with the TMS story :lol:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Madrid has probably more to blame but Navas contract was signed at 23:30. On the cover of tomorrow they say that now everything depends on De Gea since Madrid don´t want to negotiate with United. If they take that position, after so many transfer sagas, then maybe United did also something wrong? . Don´t judge Segurola for working in Marca, probably they signed him to appear in the photo. Before he worked in Ser and now collaborates with Onda Cero, with Sid Lowe or Ballagué.
Why didn't Madrid appeal just to get United to show what they did?

Status
Not open for further replies.