De Gea Signs New Contract to 2023 (+1)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pretty sure she lives over here now, so that talk probably died out when that happened.
Either way it's good news.

Selling him for buttons, or losing him on a free, then having to shell 50m or go with a rookie, when we have loads of other issues would certainly not have made any sense.

iHicksy

Can we get rid of Mata now since we only kept him around to keep Dave happy and sign.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good. Very good news.

That means his head and heart is at Manchester Utd. He obviously likes living in Manchester and gets the money he wants with Man Utd.

Probably, he will be a lot more focused than in 2018-2019. Hopefully no more puzzling personal mistakes.
Probably a mixture of a lot of things.

Huge wage, settled here, massively popular at a huge club.
Maybe the "Big" foreign clubs are tied up for the foreseeable too.

Morpheus 7

Great news, wish a few moaning wankers in here would leave instead. He's a top goalkeeper and we have enough to replace. The last few months of uncertainty are going to effect anyone. Say what you want but to be an elite keeper comes down to concentration, that position has long spells without the ball. That said he had a poor season by his standards. What maybe a bad 8 months in 8 years. This was the right decision and he deserves to be our best paid player. Big Dave is still one of the best around, if we weren't such a shit at the back the last few years there would be no argument he's the best.

Judas

Open to offers
At the end of the day replacing him would have been far too costly and put us in a position where we've another issue to fix. Do I worry he's not quite up there with the very best anymore? Yeah, but hopefully with this issue sorted we see less of those mistakes which has littered so many of his performances lately. His rumoured wage is ridiculous for a keeper, but it was always going to take that sort of daft money to keep him.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Probably a mixture of a lot of things.

Huge wage, settled here, massively popular at a huge club.
Maybe the "Big" foreign clubs are tied up for the foreseeable too.

He could have easily moved to PSG or Juve by now. He likes the club/city, money is the only issue but it's sorted out for now. He nearly went to Madrid but we all know how that ended. Floren signing Courtois was a big "we don't want you anymore" sign directed at David.

Lemansky

At the end of the day replacing him would have been far too costly and put us in a position where we've another issue to fix. Do I worry he's not quite up there with the very best anymore? Yeah, but hopefully with this issue sorted we see less of those mistakes which has littered so many of his performances lately. His rumoured wage is ridiculous for a keeper, but it was always going to take that sort of daft money to see him.
Agree.

I have no doubt in my mind that we would have bought a guy like Pickford on ridiculous money and been a lot worse of.

This is excellent news. Vital to keep our best players. We have far to many other holes to fill.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Brilliant. One position less to worry about and that defense looks pretty good for the future. Now to sort and strength other areas.

Member 39557

He should have left for the good of his career.

Just trying to fit in with the mob.

AJ10

Not really...

If you're judging goalkeepers on their shot stopping ability only then De Gea is still someway down on that list. You're lying to yourself if you think he's not.
I can understand the passing stuff as he's not the best at it but that bold is possibly most idiotic thing written on here today. :lol:

kps88

I think his slight dip in form might have contributed to this as well. A move to a big club at this stage would have been too risky. A few of those blunders at Madrid and the fans will start asking for his head.

Sylar

Hopefully this will be out of his mind and he just focuses on being the best again.
He needs to perform like he was (and I hope it was due to contract issues and not a downward spiral). He did really well against Leicester, so lets hope it continues.

I also hope he asked for assurances that United would be going in right direction in terms of recruitment for challenging.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I am not sure how to feel about this.

Hopefully he gets back to his best and does it on a regular basis.

However, he has just not been the same since somewhere around the 2018 WC. One cannot help but wonder if he will ever get back to his best.

prateik

De Gea is fantastic.. Its insane how a poor run of form lasting about 10 games had people questioning his abilities.

Raw

Just saw something pretty amazing. If De Gea stays for the remainder of his contract (another 4 years), then he will have been at the club for 13 years. VDS and Schemichel have 14 years at United between them.

Mailo

I know exactly why you're asking but why? Why must you turn something positive into a negative?
Where is the negativity in my post? I'm being realistic. If he doesn't perform, we're stuck with him - just like the rest of those on inflated wages and bad performances.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
De Gea is fantastic.. Its insane how a poor run of form lasting about 10 games had people questioning his abilities.
I mentioned it in a thread earlier this summer. It's as if no player is ever allowed a dip in form anymore, not even one who has been utterly immense for us. I stand by what I said earlier, now this is all fixed he will be back to his absolute best. People can call whoever they want the best in the world, that's their opinion. But for me, it's DDG all day long. He's had a bad run of form, I reckon he will shake that off now and be back to being incredible for us.

Mailo

feck off. Dave has years of performing for this club to justify his wages. The Sanchez deal is nothing like this one.
Just like Rooney, right?

And de Gea has been very average for at least 1 whole year, now. In my mind, past performances doesn't justify a huge jump in wages, if you've been performing bad for a whole year.

BTW - you feck off.

AJ10

That is simply not true, Don't you know he's been shit an entire year for United....:rolleyes:

fergiesarmy1

I am not sure how to feel about this.

Hopefully he gets back to his best and does it on a regular basis.

However, he has just not been the same since somewhere around the 2018 WC. One cannot help but wonder if he will ever get back to his best.
I’ll take our chances rather than a new goalkeeper who might not work out at all.

Idxomer

Just saw something pretty amazing. If De Gea stays for the remainder of his contract (another 4 years), then he will have been at the club for 13 years. VDS and Schemichel have 14 years at United between them.
Well, Schemichel and VDS were signed when they were 27 and 34 respectively. De Gea on the other hand was signed as a teenager. It's still amazing as the other two were able to cement their legendary status in just a few years.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am glad he signed. I honestly thought he was a goner to PSG or Juventus tbh so his renewal is a great relief for me.

DDG comes across as a top talented keeper with a somehow fragile character. Its pretty evident that his contract renewal was effecting him big time. Hopefully we'll see the return of the true DDG ie a one man defence whose among the top 3 keepers in the world.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Where is the negativity in my post? I'm being realistic. If he doesn't perform, we're stuck with him - just like the rest of those on inflated wages and bad performances.
The fact that your go to response to the news he's signed a contract is thinking the worst. Not rocket science is it

There are two way of looking at his new contract

A- now his future is settled he'll get back to his best
B- his future had nothing to do with his form and he's on the decline

It's clear which one you went with

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Great news! He's been an absolute hero for us over the years, glad to see his future sorted out.

I thought he would have been off this summer so that's a massive relief.

David de God is here to stay. :drool:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What happened to the talk of how he was going to move back to Spain as his girlfriend/wife insisted on it!
They moved in together last September(ish) which was a good indicator that he was going to commit his future to us as long as the financial issues were settled. She's still in Spain for a big part of the year due to her jobs (judge on Spain's Got Talent, judge on Idol Kids, singing career, and she was in a police soap opera for about 140 episodes), but they seem to be happy here.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Text Speak
Terrible decision in my opinion, and a perfect example of why we are a bang average team right now, we're basically rewarding mediocrity.
I've always thought he was overrated but the last year and a half for me, he's gone from overrated to just an outright liability and is definitely not suited to the high-press style solskjaer wants to play.
If you're going to play that way then u need a keeper who is good with his feet and coming out off his line (a sweeper keeper if u like) and De Gea is the complete opposite of a sweeper keeper the way he stays rooted to his line.
If the manager can't see that then I'm obviously worried for him too.

On a positive note, at least I won't have to hear one more person trying to use his contract situation as an excuse for not being able to save a shot for the past year and a half.

Also, I genuinely hope I'm wrong on this, I'd love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong and shut me up.

Last edited:

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I know exactly why you're asking but why? Why must you turn something positive into a negative?
There is nothing positive about a declining player who held the club to ransom over his obscene wages when his performance now doesn’t even justify this increment. I find it funny how everyone’s now kissing De Gea ass, you even have some posters saying they forgive him. De Gea basically did a Rooney except without the whole calling out. He isn’t even the top 5 goalkeepers in the world, Alisson and Ederson are better than him in the league. Now he comes out with this lame mushy video saying Old Trafford is his home, my arse. That’s only because no other football clubs are stupid enough to pay you £300k to £400k per week. He staying at United has absolutely nothing to do with loyalty but just money.

siw2007

Great news! Bar a drop in form at the back end of last season, he's been our best player for the last 6 years and it's great to get him signed up.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Terrible decision in my opinion, and a perfect example of why we are a bang average team right now, we're basically rewarding mediocrity.
I've obviously always thought he was overrated but the last year and a half for me, he's gone from overrated to just an outright liability and is definitely not suited to the high-press style solskjaer wants to play.
If you're going to play that way then u need a keeper who is good with his feet and coming out off his line (a sweeper keeper if u like) and De Gea is the complete opposite of a sweeper keeper the way he stays rooted to his line.
If the manager can't see that then I'm obviously worried for him too.

On a positive note, at least I won't have to hear one more person trying to use his contract situation as an excuse for not being able to save a shot for the past year and a half.

Also, I genuinely hope I'm wrong on this, I'd love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong and shut me up.
Rewarding mediocrity, always overrated... David de Gea? Have a word with yourself. :lol:

AJ10

Rewarding mediocrity, always overrated... David de Gea? Have a word with yourself. :lol:
You forgot to Highlight ......the year and a half of bad form :lol::lol: ....Troll or a complete moron.