De Jong

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He has his foot a few inches below his head, studs facing the player, with the ball at a completely different angle...and it wasn't intentional?!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He has his foot a few inches below his head, studs facing the player, with the ball at a completely different angle...and it wasn't intentional?!
I can imagine Fifa will give him a few games off for that. Not that it matters now that the final is over.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
surely a red.

Webb gave him a card meaning he saw something though from the TV angle it looked like a bodycheck rather than a stud challenge.

De jong and Aogo in the uruguay game surely lucky to be still on the pitch.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He was trying to pull the ball out of the air with his foot. It was unintentional and calls for a long term ban are idiotic imo. It probably should have been a red because it was wreckless but there was no intention.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Particularly if touching it saves a goal and helps your team advance to the next round.
right

and not giving a deserved red card doesn't change the outcome of a game?

lets face it, the only reason uruguay advanced to the next round was because the ghana player didn't score the penalty given to them

and that penalty and the red card for the player was the exact punishment that suarez action deserved

on the other hand, De Jong, who deserved that red card in the first period kept playing

what would have happened if he scored a goal in the 92th minute?

i know, i know, he's not latin, it would only deserve a mention in the matchday game

so Suares, got what he deserved from a play that shouldnt have happened because it came from a unexistant foul

12 pages

but de jong, didn't get what he deserved

2 pages

i'¡m sorry, but HYPOCRITE is written all over both threads

Raoul

Admin
Staff
right

and not giving a deserved red card doesn't change the outcome of a game?

lets face it, the only reason uruguay advanced to the next round was because the ghana player didn't score the penalty given to them

and that penalty and the red card for the player was the exact punishment that suarez action deserved

on the other hand, De Jong, who deserved that red card in the first period kept playing

what would have happened if he scored a goal in the 92th minute?

i know, i know, he's not latin, it would only deserve a mention in the matchday game

so Suares, got what he deserved from a play that shouldnt have happened because it came from a unexistant foul

12 pages

but de jong, didn't get what he deserved

2 pages

i'¡m sorry, but HYPOCRITE is written all over both threads
Apples and Oranges I'm afraid Marcos. The reason that thread was so long and this one so short is because one directly impacted the result. You can't definitively say that De Jong's tackle did, or would have, changed the result. Therefore the comparisons aren't that valid imo.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Apples and Oranges I'm afraid Marcos. The reason that thread was so long and this one so short is because one directly impacted the result. You can't definitively say that De Jong's tackle did, or would have, changed the result. Therefore the comparisons aren't that valid imo.
yeah, never mind, i just want to point out that many of the posters that where appalled by suarez action arent saying anything about an action that was as bad

double standards

and all of them forget that suarez action came from a non existant foul

again, double standards

marcus agrippa

yes, he did

so did the ghanan player that dived and got that foul

he didn't get a 10 pages thread, he wasn't banned for a game and he wasn't yellow carded
I hope you see the ridiculousness of that statement.

One act of cheating actually changed the course of history.

Another...not so much.

Meh. That you can defend scum like Suarez merely indicates this argument cannot be won.

Just glad Uruguay got knocked out. Just a bit unhappy it wasn't under highly controversial circumstances.

But one can't have everything.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I hope you see the ridiculousness of that statement.

One act of cheating actually changed the course of history.

Another...not so much.

Meh. That you can defend scum like Suarez merely indicates this argument cannot be won.

Just glad Uruguay got knocked out. Just a bit unhappy it wasn't under highly controversial circumstances.

But one can't have everything.
suarez cheated and got red carded and a penalty was given to ghana

the ghanan player cheated he recieved no punishment and from that same play uruguay lost a player and and had a penalty against

is no brainer

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
that's a red card in rugby, in boxing, tennis, american football, ice hockey

but in football, no ... no sire :smirk:
Lucky for those other sports they don't have a useless dickhead called Howard Webb reffing.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
From the beeb

The Football Association will consider Newcastle's request for action to be taken against Nigel de Jong but may be powerless to implement any punishment.

The Tyneside club have written to the FA after Magpies winger Hatem Ben Arfa had his leg broken by a tackle from De Jong in a 2-1 loss at Manchester City.

An FA spokesman said: "We will consider the contents of the letter."

However, the options open to the FA may be limited as referee Martin Atkinsson saw the offence and did not punish it.

Ben Arfa, on loan at Newcastle from Marseille, had to undergo surgery on a broken tibia and fibula after being caught by De Jong.

A Newcastle statement read: "Newcastle have written a strongly worded letter to the Football Association in relation to the tackle by Manchester City's Nigel de Jong on Hatem Ben Arfa in Sunday's Premier League fixture, which resulted in Ben Arfa sustaining a broken tibia and fibula of his left leg.

"The club has asked the FA for the appropriate action to be taken against De Jong for the tackle which, in the club's, opinion was unnecessary and used excessive force."

De Jong has already been dropped from the Netherlands squad for the forthcoming internationals against Moldova and Sweden, with national coach Bert van Marwijk saying he would speak to the midfielder about some of his challenges.

And Dutch legend Johan Cruyff urged the midfielder to clean up his game, saying: "He's crossed the line two or three times now.

"He needs to understand he is an example to all the young players and I think it [dropping him from the national squad] is a very good decision."

De Jong has also injured American midfielder Stuart Holden this year, while referee Howard Webb has said he would have sent off De Jong in the World Cup final had he realised the full extent of the foul on Spain's Xabi Alonso, when the Dutch midfielder caught the Spaniard in the chest.

However, De Jong's international team-mate Mark van Bommel has spoken out in defence of the midfielder, saying: "It's very unfortunate that he has broken the leg of an opponent twice in six months.

"Thanks to Nigel we reached the final of the World Cup. And now I hear people calling him a criminal. What a nonsense.

"Nigel should not change his game, we need him as he is. But maybe he should occasionally go into a tackle slightly differently."
:lol: That bolded bit is priceless.

This just in - Rose West says Myra Hindley wasn't all that bad.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
When Mark van Bommel is defending your tackling you know you're doing it wrong.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Van Bommel defending your tackling you should get an automatic 1 year ban.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
He is just overly aggressive. Two leg breaks in 6 months? dropped from the national team for his actions. I think he's a pretty good player in fairness but he doesnt need to go in THAT hard, he almost wants to take the man and no just the ball which is fair enough, you let a player know you are there but you dont go through them like that...

Pretty hilarious reading this thread again though, the debate about his kung fu kick :lol i mean a debate!?? :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How can you not be carded when you try your best to destroy your opponent ? It's one thing if the foolish referee (who was english in both counts) doesn't book but what the feck are those discipline board there for ? They don't wanna discredit their pawn ? Professional football is a fecking joke

Don16

Annoying cnut
I thought it was quite a fair tackle. Alright he went in hard, but its a contact sport. He's not the first lad to have broken someones leg

RedRover

I thought it was quite a fair tackle. Alright he went in hard, but its a contact sport. He's not the first lad to have broken someones leg
He might be the first to have broken three in the last calender year though. I'm not normally one to go on stats but thats pretty damning.

Clearly his tackle on Ben Arfa wasn't "illeagal" under the laws of the game but he certainly went in too hard and was reckless as to the safety of another player.

The FA need to get a grip on players going in too hard and injuring other players. A freak accident is a freak accident but nobody wants to see players injured week after week.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Calling something a "contact sport" does not excuse anything and I wish people would quit thinking it does.

Boxing is a contact sport. Water polo is a contact sport. Competitive Ballroom Dancing is a contact sport. There's an eternity of difference between the acceptable standards of its competitors for each. The blanket term "contact sport" does not grant any kind of baseline standard for anything; a sport defines what those are on its own.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I didn't see it but I heard that he actually took the ball and his leg unfortunately wrapped around Arfa's after it and lead to it breaking... I haven't seen it though so can't give that 100% just going from what I've heard from pundits.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
am i the only one who thinks that De Jong's tackle on Ben Afra was anything but malicious? Unfortunate, unlucky, wicked but not malicious.
The angle he came in was a little risky. Ben Arfa caught his leg between De Jong.

::sonny::

De Jong faces Marseille legal action for tackle on Hatem Ben Arfa

Ben Arfa, on loan at Newcastle United from the French club, is expected to be sidelined for at least six months after undergoing surgery last week to repair the broken tibia and fibula sustained in De Jong’s challenge during the 2-1 defeat against Manchester City at Eastlands.

De Jong was dropped from the Holland squad by coach Bert van Marwijk because of the challenge, a decision which infuriated City officials who believed that their player had been singled out unfairly by the Dutch. Newcastle have since taken the unusual step of contacting the Football Association by letter to call for further action to be taken against De Jong, whose challenge was seen but went unpunished by referee Martin Atkinson.

While the FA has insisted that retrospective action cannot be taken, De Jong may yet find himself at the centre of renewed scrutiny should Marseille take the matter further.

Jean-Claude Dassier, the Marseille chairman, said: “We will file a complaint against De Jong. It’s about getting rid of this type of individual from European grounds.”

De Jong has told colleagues that he is devastated by the injury sustained by Ben Arfa.

The former Hamburg midfielder, whose challenge resulted in a broken leg for Bolton Wanderers midfielder Stuart Holden during a match between Holland and USA in March, has spent the last week at City’s training ground following his exclusion from the Dutch squad.

City manager Roberto Mancini has publicly backed De Jong, who is expected to return to action in the Premier League clash with Blackpool at Bloomfield Road on Sunday.

alastair

ignorant
I understand their frustration, but even I don't think this is the right course of action. It's just so easily arguable that it was an accident, and to be expected in this kind of environment.

I hate De Jong, and I hate all players who tackle high, but this just has to be forgotten.

MacMUFC

De Jong has been trated so harshly. It was an accident for crying out loud. The Lord only knows what would've happened to Keano if he was still around...

MacMUFC

Durty furriner, contrast this with the pillorying of 'he's not that sort of chap' Ryan Shawcross.
:lol:

So true. The ref didnt even give a foul on first viewing which says it all in my opinion. I've never seen a tackle blown so wildly out of proportion, its unbelievable. Dropped from squads, complaints from other teams, endless debates on tackling, should football become a non-contact sport etc.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Both reckless tackles, both unneeded imo, and both worthy of red cards. Tackling should be about winning the ball, not putting a mark on another player.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
De Jong has been trated so harshly. It was an accident for crying out loud. The Lord only knows what would've happened to Keano if he was still around...
I think it's more to the fact that he's building up quite a record of poor tackles and injuries. This year alone he broke at least 2 legs of opponents. I say he's getting what he deserves. I actually think he's a good player, but a tremendous dirty cnut at the same time.

Canuckred64

What exactly does de Jong bring to the game other than the ability to break up the oppositions attack? He doesn't seem to offer anything going forward.

In the past whether it was Keane and Viera or back to players like Harris, Stiles and Hunter, the so called hard men were more well rounded than de Jong and didn't just sit back and break up attacks.

I love a hard tackling player as much as the next man, but there has to be more to their game than being just an enforcer or you end up with the anti football the Dutch played in the World Cup Final.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What exactly does de Jong bring to the game other than the ability to break up the oppositions attack? He doesn't seem to offer anything going forward.

In the past whether it was Keane and Viera or back to players like Harris, Stiles and Hunter, the so called hard men were more well rounded than de Jong and didn't just sit back and break up attacks.

I love a hard tackling player as much as the next man, but there has to be more to their game than being just an enforcer or you end up with the anti football the Dutch played in the World Cup Final.
Makelele. Played in some great teams as well.