Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyt

The GK is the least of our problems IMO
Disagree, our organisation is defence is shocking and Dave does nothing to help that. We'd be a far better defensive unit with a GK that can actually command his box and communicate. DDG stands on his line when a ball is crossed into the 6 yard box and then gets praised for tipping a header over the bar, any other GK catches the cross in the first place. Not saying Hendo is the answer but upgrading on DDG will help our defence no end.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wouldn't be shocked if De Gea was displaced next season but I think the most likely outcome is that it happens a year or two later by someone who isn't Henderson.

Particularly as I suspect the only way Henderson would want to stay next season is if he was told outright he was going to be #1. If he had been happy to compete as he was last season then he might have won out over time but I don't see ETH immediately making that change upon arrival. There's no way DDG is a fit for ETH's ideal set-up but the same is true of a lot of our players.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No, he didn’t single-handedly cost us the top four spot in 18/19. He was in great form until he completely collapsed towards the end, shit happens, top 4 was always a stretch that season considering how we performed towards christmas. Plenty of players had a horrible end to the season, not just him. Nor did he get us knocked out of the champions league either
Great form in 18/19? He was poor the entire season (it started with his terrible showing at the World Cup before the season) before he, as you said, completely collapsed for the last month or two. Any average PL keeper for the end of that season and we should have made the top four, as having DDG was pretty much giving the opposition a one goal head-start in every match and directly cost us numerous matches. Maybe saying single-handedly was harsh, but he was easily the most at fault.

DDG made himself as small as possible and tried to avoid contact (after being in a poor position in the first place) for the goal that ultimately knocked us out of the CL last season. He did an almost identical thing a month or so later in the league too, so it's not like it was a one-off.

These were huge, constant mistakes over the course of three seasons, seemingly even more often in the big matches, on top of him being significantly below average in basically everything other than shot-stopping. It's quite unbelievable that he made it to this season as our first choice (but then again there's a fair chance Henderson would have started the season as first choice if it wasn't for having a bad case of Covid). Yes, he managed to get his shot-stopping abilities back this season, but how long are we going to ride just on that? And how long until he drops off again?

Oranges038

Henderson isn't great at dominating his box and ball distribution, but he's still better than DDG. For instance, DDG caught 3% of the crosses into his box this season and 4.6% last season in the league (which is right down the very bottom of the rankings). Henderson caught 8.6% during his run last season which is slightly above average. In terms of coming out of their box to deal with something, DDG has done it 0.35 and 0.2 times per game over the last two seasons. Henderson was at 1.12. The communication thing is fairly obvious with De Gea being one of the quietest keepers around while Henderson was at least trying to control his defence. There's literally no way for anybody who isn't in the team or training ground to know whether he's actually good at it or is talking a load of shit, but he's certainly trying to do it more. The fact him being in the team coincided directly with our defence looking the most organised it has done in the last couple of seasons seems to indicate that it was an improvement at least.

As for Henderson's positioning and shot-stopping, he certainly did have a couple of moments where both badly let him down. However it's not like it was happening constantly. There were other times that he was quite good at both. Once he gets a true starting spot to settle into he very well might reduce those mistakes. Or he may not. It's impossible to tell until it happens.
There's no point. All people remember is that one Salah goal. Not that he kept the same amount of clean sheets in ten less games or was better at everything overall than DDG which resulted in less chances being conceded, less goals being conceded and winning more games.

DDG has been conceding on average over a goal a game for at least 3 seasons and until this season had one of the lowest save % in the league. Even this season he's almost bottom of the pile for everything orher than saves. There's no way you can compete for trophies conceding that amount of goals.

Henderson deserved a chance after last season, ultimately he might not be the long term solution but neither is DDG.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If you don't think Henderson was better than De Gea was the last three seasons, there's no point even debating with you. This season sure there's reason to debate, but De Gea was an absolute disaster the previous three. Single-handedly cost us a top four spot in 18/19, at fault in numerous of the semi's that we lost, knocked us out of the CL last season when he chickened out of a challenge that he was the favourite to win. And just in general being absolutely terrible. Henderson certainly wasn't great in his run, but he was comfortably better that that.
Henderson on his best day wasn't better than Dave on his worst day. When Henderson saved us? When he pulled a performance which secured us points? Guy can't save anything which is above of "must save" shot.

I agree with you that DDG is not "modern" gk and yes, he lacks some things but for me shot stopping is still and always will be the most important trait for gk. Everything else is a bonus.
If DDG is not solution (which i can accept) then Henderson is not for sure.

MadDogg

Henderson on his best day wasn't better than Dave on his worst day. When Henderson saved us? When he pulled a performance which secured us points? Guy can't save anything which is above of "must save" shot.

I agree with you that DDG is not "modern" gk and yes, he lacks some things but for me shot stopping is still and always will be the most important trait for gk. Everything else is a bonus.
If DDG is not solution (which i can accept) then Henderson is not for sure.
That says it all about you, so there's no point.

OleGunnar20

Neither Henderson or DDG can bring what's needed from a modern keeper. Personally I'd rather have DDGs sometimes godlike reflexes than Hendersons overall mediocrity. He's not a bad keeper by any means Hendo, but never United quality in my opinion.

Next year we'll have far bigger problems to address unfortunately, and with DDGs 350k p/w he looks likely to be sticking around another year at least. We should leave it a year and begin working on his successor.

Both Sa & Sanchez have impressed me on that note.

UncleBob

Great form in 18/19? He was poor the entire season (it started with his terrible showing at the World Cup before the season) before he, as you said, completely collapsed for the last month or two. Any average PL keeper for the end of that season and we should have made the top four, as having DDG was pretty much giving the opposition a one goal head-start in every match and directly cost us numerous matches. Maybe saying single-handedly was harsh, but he was easily the most at fault.

DDG made himself as small as possible and tried to avoid contact (after being in a poor position in the first place) for the goal that ultimately knocked us out of the CL last season. He did an almost identical thing a month or so later in the league too, so it's not like it was a one-off.

These were huge, constant mistakes over the course of three seasons, seemingly even more often in the big matches, on top of him being significantly below average in basically everything other than shot-stopping. It's quite unbelievable that he made it to this season as our first choice (but then again there's a fair chance Henderson would have started the season as first choice if it wasn't for having a bad case of Covid). Yes, he managed to get his shot-stopping abilities back this season, but how long are we going to ride just on that? And how long until he drops off again?
He wasn’t poor the entire season, by any means. His form collapsed at the end of the season and he made more mistakes in that period during his entire career with us combined, shit happens and we were overall shit that season.

The goal that ultimately knocked us out, Jesus, they were 3 goals up when we got a lucky penalty and a deflection to make it 3-2 with 8 minutes to go, don’t be silly. Neither goals were more ultimate than the other.

Maybe Henderson would have started, maybe he wouldn’t have, he didn’t and overall De Gea has performed well this season.

In terms of riding on it, again, this really isn’t complicated by any measure whatsoever. The fact remains obvious, we have bigger gaps to cover in our squad at the moment. Would you prefer it if our central midfield remains as shit as it is, and how it impacts our ability to attack and defend, to make it our top priority to bring in a new goalkeeper? Should we wait with signing a new striker perhaps, or how about ignoring the massive problem at right back.

Some common sense would be highly appreciated. If the next manager prefers to play Henderson, he will.

Gandalf

If you don't think Henderson was better than De Gea was the last three seasons, there's no point even debating with you. This season sure there's reason to debate, but De Gea was an absolute disaster the previous three. Single-handedly cost us a top four spot in 18/19, at fault in numerous of the semi's that we lost, knocked us out of the CL last season when he chickened out of a challenge that he was the favourite to win. And just in general being absolutely terrible. Henderson certainly wasn't great in his run, but he was comfortably better that that.
The above may well be true but the bottom line is that he is not actually good enough to be given the job long term and so eventually we are buying a new Keeper it is just that we won't be doing that next season because as others have pointed out we have much bigger holes to fill. If you accept the reality that we are moving on from DDG and Dean then you need to be pragmatic about it and the fact is we are still in a position where we could get a decent fee and possibly a sell on clause by shipping Dean out to Newcastle or one of the other clubs that have enquired in the recent past. Dave is in a situation where we have no bidders nor anyone able to pay his wage so like it or not we are stuck with him at least until 2023 and so we can hope ETH is able to coach up his weaker points until he is in a position to sign his long term replacement.

jesperjaap

Wouldn't be shocked if De Gea was displaced next season but I think the most likely outcome is that it happens a year or two later by someone who isn't Henderson.

Particularly as I suspect the only way Henderson would want to stay next season is if he was told outright he was going to be #1. If he had been happy to compete as he was last season then he might have won out over time but I don't see ETH immediately making that change upon arrival. There's no way DDG is a fit for ETH's ideal set-up but the same is true of a lot of our players.
I agree. For me DeGea has been very good this season, i understand people wanting a more modern keeper or one that commands the area and organises the side, but come on, he is vritually the only player this season and one of very few over the las decade who bar a couple of awful seasons doesnt deserve criticism.

It feels at least, like Henderson wants to be a number one starting keeper, which is fair enough, he is a good young keeper, but personallyfrom what I have seen, including his time at Sheffieled United, he isnt good enough to be our number one and really is no more a modern keeper than DeGea anyway.

For me, we sell Henderson this summer and replace him with a hungry young modern keeper that can grow to pressurise and maybe displace Degea over the next couple of seasons. Appreciate DeGea is I think in the last year of his contract next year? That actually isnt so relevant as it seems to me though, sell him now, he doesnt go for much more than Henderson I feel, so short term at least no footballign or economic advantage to selling him this summer.

Sell Henderson and buy somebody like Vandervordt who would almsot certainly cost less than we sell Henderson for anyway. We keep one of the best keepers in the league and an experienced one and we upgrade potential wise and for a more modern keeper.....and make a profit

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Luis Enrique just doesn't see it with De Gea. :cool:

It shows the difference between fans reactive jumping to the entertainment of football compared to a managers tactical need to get the best results.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think he's going to be our #1 next season. And his game suits a head coach who wants to implement positional play, better than de Gea. The below account has done good work in compiling data and even comparing Henderson to the Ajax keeper, Onana. It's a interesting thread to read. Below are just a few tweets from the information that has been compiled by the person.

Last edited:

McFred2022

I've always said that I think Henderson should be our choice over De Gea. I felt our defence looked much stronger and confident with him in net and don't understand why this season he didn't get a chance. Not saying he is perfect but more the type of keeper we need

Nero

Awful comp. Most of those are just hoofs up field.

James Peril

I've always said that I think Henderson should be our choice over De Gea. I felt our defence looked much stronger and confident with him in net and don't understand why this season he didn't get a chance. Not saying he is perfect but more the type of keeper we need
Stop picking players based on stats on fancy slides served by 14 years old on Instagram, please! Henderson did play, he showed he just isn’t very good, he doesn’t have the extra bit of special «something», looks tiny in the goal, lacks composure and stature, absolutely nothing to suggest he is or will be a great goalkeeper. So he played decently for Sheffield United, every goalkeeper playing for a shit teams looks good, you’re made to look good by always being busy. Not saying de Gea is extremely good, but at least he is a world-class shot-stopper and he does find special saves every other game.

Please replace de Gea with the next best thing, but Henderson seriously isn’t that guy. He’s short for a goalkeeper and cost us several goals last season. If we listen to all the fans on here, we’ll start next season with Henderson, Laird and Gardner… do you really expect this club to progress if so happens? Ridiculous.

saivet

Maybe it's just me but that distribution comp shows me absolutely nothing other than a number of hopeful ball launched forward. Think you could create a similar comp quite easily for DDG

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Stop picking players based on stats on fancy slides served by 14 years old on Instagram, please! Henderson did play, he showed he just isn’t very good, he doesn’t have the extra bit of special «something», looks tiny in the goal, lacks composure and stature, absolutely nothing to suggest he is or will be a great goalkeeper. So he played decently for Sheffield United, every goalkeeper playing for a shit teams looks good, you’re made to look good by always being busy. Not saying de Gea is extremely good, but at least he is a world-class shot-stopper and he does find special saves every other game.

Please replace de Gea with the next best thing, but Henderson seriously isn’t that guy. He’s short for a goalkeeper and cost us several goals last season. If we listen to all the fans on here, we’ll start next season with Henderson, Laird and Gardner… do you really expect this club to progress if so happens? Ridiculous.
This.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
By the looks of things Henderson may well be a better #10 than De Gea but he certainly isn’t a better goalkeeper.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Luis Enrique just doesn't see it with De Gea. :cool:

It shows the difference between fans reactive jumping to the entertainment of football compared to a managers tactical need to get the best results.
Sure, but Henderson is no Unai Simon, so Dave's weaknesses are an argument against Dave and not necessarily pro Hendo.

Hendo isnt the ideal modern keeper either. De Gea is untouchable with his fat contract and Hendo is moaning twat.

We should sell Hendo and get a young goalkeeper in that can take over from Dave in 2-3 years time and let the latter's contract run out.

RB Leipzig just bought Genk's GK and loaned him back for 2 (!) seasons.

That's a smart footballing club with direction. We should get the guy that helped built that club. Ralf something.

Selling Hendo makes sense for the dressing room, and he's also a bit shit. As in he's closer to Tim Krul in ability than Dave De God.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
First ever keeper who's own fans turned on him after 2 mistakes in his first season at the top club. Ditched him for a person who couldn't wait to get out of the club if it wasn't for a fax machine.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm sure Henderson was linked with a loan move to Ajax when Onana was banned.

Maybe ETH likes him.

Hard to see a future for him at United though really.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
New keeper is a higher priority than many think but I’d definitely play him over DDG.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
First ever keeper who's own fans turned on him after 2 mistakes in his first season at the top club. Ditched him for a person who couldn't wait to get out of the club if it wasn't for a fax machine.
You omitted the part where he was being a whiny cnut for not playing when his competition was our best player and Hendo likely being the leak somewhere between "2 mistakes" and "fans turning against him". Must've been a typo.

I'm sure Henderson was linked with a loan move to Ajax when Onana was banned.

Maybe ETH likes him.

Hard to see a future for him at United though really.
That story was nonsense agent talk, according to VDS.

He's also nowhere near being an Ajax style keeper.

JB7

Yeah that's it, lets completely ignore the raw data, both the technical data and the previous team and individual performance metrics, to persist with the bloke who costs us time and time again with his refusal to do several critical aspects of his job which are usually the reasons he needs to find those "special saves" because just coming out and catching the ball doesn't look good on YouTube does it? Weird suggesting that United wouldn't progress if they played Henderson instead of De Gea btw given the vast improvement in both defending and results last season when Henderson played (which funnily enough almost immediately stopped when they brought De Gea back into the team).

Idxomer

He isn't good enough either, this team needs a keeper far more commanding than him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, I’m far from a De Gea fan but I don’t think Henderson is it, chiefs.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah that's it, lets completely ignore the raw data, both the technical data and the previous team and individual performance metrics, to persist with the bloke who costs us time and time again with his refusal to do several critical aspects of his job which are usually the reasons he needs to find those "special saves" because just coming out and catching the ball doesn't look good on YouTube does it? Weird suggesting that United wouldn't progress if they played Henderson instead of De Gea btw given the vast improvement in both defending and results last season when Henderson played (which funnily enough almost immediately stopped when they brought De Gea back into the team).
Looks like most people are concerned who the better playmaker is than the better goalkeeper to me. Henderson has looked a dodgy keeper to me. But I’ll concede he is a better passer than De Gea.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

This. Henderson is just average gk. Move on

JB7

Looks like most people are concerned who the better playmaker is than the better goalkeeper to me. Henderson has looked a dodgy keeper to me. But I’ll concede he is a better passer than De Gea.
Weird flex given that passing is probably one of the few things he isn't much better at De Gea than, his distribution is relatively average.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Weird flex given that passing is probably one of the few things he isn't much better at De Gea than, his distribution is relatively average.
That would indeed make it weird.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just mentioned it in another thread but while he may indeed be more suited to ETH's style of play than De Gea by dint of being more well rounded, if there is a move to clean up the dressing room culture then I'm not sure he'll fare so well in that regard.

The suggestion that he has a difficult and confident-bordering-on-arrogant personality has lingered around him for years but more specifically he was strongly rumoured to be one of the prime sources of dressing room leaks over the last two seasons. Depending on how seriously the club takes the idea of reseting the dressing room culture, that may be an issue for him.

Added to the fact that he's not actually that much of a so-called modern keeper except when being directly compared to David De Gea, I suspect that whenever De Gea's time comes we're more likely to see him be replaced with someone yet to sign for the club.

JB7

That would indeed make it weird.
The basic comparison stats are in the De Gea thread. I appreciate some people don't want to see how much of a problem De Gea is but it's there for all to see if you just watch him, you don't even need the stats to back it up really.

I've said multiple times I'm not even a particularly big fan of Henderson but when you contrast the two there is just no argument that De Gea should be playing, it defies all logic.

McFred2022

If you read my post I did not mention any stats what so ever. I said I thought we looked stronger with him playing and like the defence was more confident with him behind them. Nice to know you have a keeper to sweep up behind you and not glued to his goal line

MadDogg

And better at dealing with crosses. And more willing to come out and play as a sweeper, which allows the defence to play a higher line. And better at communicating with the defence. In fact, he's better at basically everything except pure shot-stopping ability. This myth that it's 'only' passing ability that is the issue with De Gea really does need to die.

MadDogg

So it was all just coincidence that Henderson's period in goal for us last season just so happened to be our best defensive period in the last four years? The only period in that time that our defence actually looked decent? Both statistically and by eye.

Is he perfect? No. He did concede a couple of bad goals last season that I expect De Gea would have saved. The issue that people seem to be ignoring though is that De Gea also concedes goals that Henderson would have dealt with, and every stat available indicates that Henderson comes out on top overall.

hobbers

One solid way to make our defence even worse than this season is to put in an undersized sub par shot stopper with terrible handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.