Dean Henderson England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I may be completely wrong here but wasn't De Gea (statistically) one of the worst goalkeepers in the Premier League in the second half of the season?

I thought I read a breakdown about how his shot saving % was atrocious for the final couple of months (added to his overall weakness at sweeping / claiming crosses etc) after having an amazing start to 21/22.

El Jefe

Soon on top :lol:

What a whinging baby and probably an awful player to have in the dressing room.

Ole didn't favour him and neither did Ralf. If two managers opted for DDG it probably says something. Personally after he got his run in the team in 20/21 I never believed he was good enough for us, he's a EL level goalie at best.

Sell the fecker.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
He effectively got injured. Tough luck. When he came back DDG didn't deserve to be benched.
Exactly this. You could make the argument that Solskjaer didn't break the promise, that Henderson was first choice in August but De Gea worked his way back into that role by the time Henderson was available again.
Never replicated his Sheffield United form here and will likely be a footnote in history, recorded only in Wiki pages and Sporcle quizzes.

Red-17

People are upset for players who sit at their contract and people are upset about players who want to play, even if that means they have to leave.

He didn't say anything outrageous. He may overestimate his abilities, but it's not like he was benched by peak Yashin or Kahn. His competition is a rather average, declining GK, who is here because he is among the highest earners in the world and nobody wants him, and after many years of crying for leaving is now saying in public how much he "loves" the club.
Yeah amazing how we are criticizing a player for wanting to actually play football rather than sit on the bench and collect a paycheck. I really don't see what is wrong with what he says here. it is pretty clear that he expected to get gametime last season, and only lost the spot he previously won due to injury and illness. He also never was given any sort of chance to win it back. He had random cup games here and there and that was it. Why wouldn't he be incredibly frustrated? He was then denied a loan in January and the proceeded to play one game the rest of the season from there. I would be disappointed in him if he wasn't extremely pissed off on how last season was handled.

mu4c_20le

I'm not Ralf's biggest fan, far from it, but at the end of the day he's the manager and has his reasons for selection.

Red-17

Whatever criticism might fairly be levelled at De Gea in general, the reality is that his own teammates thought he was our best player last year. Henderson just didn't do enough to get back in ahead of him, simple as.

The bigger issue is that the two of them should never have been kept together last season in the first place. If you're going to replace De Gea then you have to do it decisively, not feck around with two goalkeepers. That's a lesson we should bear in mind for the future.
When was he ever given a chance to? He played a few cups games and that was literally it after already winning the number one job in the premier league the season before.

Red_toad

Not afraid to speak his mind. Wasn't he rumoured to be one of the leakers?
No it was Lee Grant and his new team mate.
Poor interview by him, should have kept it simple and stated he’s been frustrated by events over the last 12 months etc, nice to see the fan base rushing in the give him a good kicking, the trend continues on. Let’s hope they get over it if he has a good season and it eventuates the Dave isn’t really a Ten Hag ball keeper…

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I may be completely wrong here but wasn't De Gea (statistically) one of the worst goalkeepers in the Premier League in the second half of the season?

I thought I read a breakdown about how his shot saving % was atrocious for the final couple of months (added to his overall weakness at sweeping / claiming crosses etc) after having an amazing start to 21/22.
He was. Had a purple patch then regressed to the same form he'd shown over the last few seasons.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Clown comments. Imagine it will be the beginning of the end of his time at Utd. School boy stuff.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
He was. Had a purple patch then regressed to the same form he'd shown over the last few seasons.
Thanks , I couldn't find anything online and was worried I imagined it!

I can understand why he felt slightly aggrieved in that case, he probably should have been given a chance but I can't see many having sympathy with him after that interview.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I can understand why he felt slightly aggrieved in that case, he probably should have been given a chance but I can't see many having sympathy with him after that interview.
He probably should've, although I'm of the opinion neither Henderson or de Gea is good enough.

city-puma

He’s definitely not slightly but extremely aggrieved. I have sympathy with him. I admire he has been always motivated to become the best he can.

JB7

It's interesting how peoples perspectives of confidence are.

Come out suggesting that you were unhappy not to be given an opportunity to go out on loan after you'd been told you would be first choice and then ultimately not being given any game time at all. Then saying that you don't want the manager to see you train because he'd want you to stay at the club as a back up goalkeeper. Way too confident.

Come out claiming you're really happy with your performances in a season that we conceded the most goals in a season since 1979, where you have statistically been the worst goalkeeper in the entire league at dealing with balls in behind the defence and crosses into the box, as well as being bottom third of the league in terms of distribution levels too. Absolutely fine.

Aretak

All this drama over such an average player. Didn't see any elite level clubs lining up to sign him this summer. Nottingham Forest is about his level.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He’s definitely not slightly but extremely aggrieved. I have sympathy with him. I admire he has been always motivated to become the best he can.
If what he says is true then he has every right to feel aggrieved. Given how the club has been run in recent years I believe him.

marcus agrippa

It was widely acknowledged that last season it was Henderson and Lingard who were spreading all of the dressing room goings on at the club. Ole and then Rangnick couldn't do or say a thing without it getting leaked to the press. This was obviously a major contributing factor to our terrible season, as the players were being undermined publicly in the press for all of the world to see. They behaved like spoiled children and in the end caused the downfall of their own careers. They had the keys to the kingdom, and now they are relegation fodder. They will look back on this period one day with nothing but embarrassment.

One of the best bits of business in this transfer window was shipping out the bad eggs.
Yep. Like Arnold told those fans he met at the pub: the leakers are no longer around. Hopefully they got most of them.

RedOrange

All this drama over such an average player. Didn't see any elite level clubs lining up to sign him this summer. Nottingham Forest is about his level.
United are probably not interested in selling him. What will likely happen is De Gea's option to extend for next season will be declined and he'll leave on a free, and Henderson will come back and be the starting keeper for 23/24. Even if De Gea's better, he's not £200k per week better.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

BETTER PLAYERS! Better players were standing in your way!!! Sweet Jesus.
Tbf he's clearly referring to them standing in the way of a transfer out of the club. This is backed up by the stories at the time that Ole refused to sanction his sale to West Ham after his successful loan spell. Ole really was a hoarding indecisive novice of a manager.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think that's his intention. To choose those words and to reveal private conversations between himself and the two managers, it's clear he has burnt his bridges with the hierarchy within United. ETH didn't fancy him either.

I think it's less an issue of his abilities than it is with his personality and character that's the issue. Surely he doesn't see himself as a top 3 goalie in the league, does he?

So why add to the soap opera?

FerociousCorgis

I think people are so desperate to find someone to replace ddg that they massively overrated this guy. We can do much better than this guy

Okey

He better play well enough this season to fetch us good money. We've missed out once already. He's not the answer we seek in goal, and thankfully he's sailed that ship himself. Prett poor of him mouthing off like some naive, entitled kid like this.

hobbers

Think Forest will end up seriously regretting letting the two clowns into their dressing room in the long run.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
"Criminal" :lol: :lol:
United should recall him in January and keep him on the bench until 2025.

The Red Thinker

Yeah Henderson may be a good player but he’s toxic as feck. Henderson got unlucky because DDG had his best season in years and was unshakeable. To be sitting there and talking to the press moaning says a lot about the guy. There have been plenty of goalies over the years at big clubs who couldn’t shake the number 1. Most don’t come out and bitch when they’re on loan.

RedDevil@84

Come out claiming you're really happy with your performances in a season that we conceded the most goals in a season since 1979, where you have statistically been the worst goalkeeper in the entire league at dealing with balls in behind the defence and crosses into the box, as well as being bottom third of the league in terms of distribution levels too. Absolutely fine.
And even with that dismal performance, his deputy could not knock him off to seize the job, because he was busy moaning at the broken gentleman's agreement at the start of the season.

OmarUnited4ever

2 points I want to make: -

1- These are stupid comments to make publicly, he is not the only player to suffer like this, it happened to many, it was best if he kept quite, moved on and focused on himself with NFFC and do his best to earn a WC spot with England (against some good GKs like Pope, Ramsey and Johnstone).

2- Despite Henderson's stupid comments, I think the club didn't handle his situation properly, yes, no one is guaranteed a No.1 spot, but he suffered from Covid, once he was healthy and fit to play, he should've at least been given a chance to prove himself for 2-3 games, or rotate him with De Gea for 10 games and see who does better, outfield players usually can get chances to play, but it is really tough for a GK to earn a spot, and what about Ralf promising him to play FA Cup game vs Villa, then choosing De Gea!! that's is an appalling treatment of player especially a backup GK, if you do not trust your backup GK, then do not promise him a cup game.

Edit: It not like De Gea is as good as Allison or Ederson, De Gea is a great shot-stopper and that is about it, so I believe it was fair for Henderson to think that he can overtake De Gea in the starting 11.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

De Gea has been one of the worst keepers in the league for three and a half of the last four seasons. A brief period in the first half of last season where he looked like he was getting back to something close to his shot-stopping best seems to have been enough for a huge amount of people to forget that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Putting in in his shoes, I'd be extremely pissed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.