Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lingard 20m-25m
Dean 25m-30m
James 25m

70m-80m.
We should be able to sell Lingard in that ball park, but not when he's on 100k a week.
It'll probably be half of that.

No way in hell the other two go for anywhere near those fees. I've been encouraged to see 16-18m bandied about for James.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good money for a 31 years old centre back. Imagine how much more you can get for someone who are much younger?
We have this thread every year. Posters thinking we can get 60-80m in sales.
Every single summer we then barely get 1/3 of that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We have this thread every year. Posters thinking we can get 60-80m in sales.
Every single summer we then barely get 1/3 of that.
Because posters are being unrealistic wanting to sell players like Dalot, Pereira, Jones.

Notice how I don’t list them but I listed 3 valuable players who can still be good enough to play for PL clubs and wanted by clubs/managers out there.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Am I imagining it or have we not been particularly strongly linked with Rice, or indeed any other midfielder? For as active as this thread is, most of the actual transfer talk around the club seems to be around Sancho and various CB options.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Because posters are being unrealistic wanting to sell players like Dalot, Pereira, Jones.

Notice how I don’t list them but I listed 3 valuable players who can still be good enough to play for PL clubs and wanted by clubs/managers out there.
Who is going to be buying Hendo for 25-30m?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Am I imagining it or have we not been particularly strongly linked with Rice, or indeed any other midfielder? For as active as this thread is, most of the actual transfer talk around the club seems to be around Sancho and various CB options.
Sancho and CB are the two our main targets, which the same as last summer. Rice or midfield is likely to be the 3rd one after those two.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Who is going to be buying Hendo for 25-30m?
Dortmund may be since they need a keeper. Or West Ham since they need a new keeper. Perfect isn’t it that we can use him as part of the swap deal. Milan is likely to buy Tomori for 24.5m this summer, not sure how Hendo cannot be sold for similar price, he’s a good goalkeeper mate. Martinez cost 20m and he’s older and not British.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
AWB can be decent at running at defenders with his turn of pace and feints but he's very limited on the ball. His distribution IMO is mediocre and like a player who has been at Palace for a long time. Maybe he'll develop that side of his game with time and to be fair to him he has, to an extent, over the course of this season, but all in all, he's still a very basic fullback on the ball, and a far cry from the ones who are/were genuinely good on the ball (Evra, Cole, TAA etc).

From what I've seen of Rice, he too looks very limited. Good at shielding the back 4 but not good on the ball. May be I haven't seen enough and need to see more of him but I can barely find anything online relating to his passing. As for Kante, he may not be a great passer of the ball, but he's good at a lot of things that contribute to a team going forwards - for example his driving runs forwards into space are excellent. For me, Kante is not a good comparison as he's this phenomenal engine in midfield that does what he does so exceptionally that it doesn't matter (it does but you can cover up for it) what he can't do, as you make up for it elsewhere

My issue with Rice is that he would play in a position we need and have lacked quality distribution from for ages. We need someone like Fabinho who has the ability to build attacks, not a Casemiero who can't. Not when we have Mctominay, Fred or Pogba as the other midfielder. It just doesn't work having a limited DM in this team IMO.
My grievance with people who say AWB is useless on the ball is that I don’t think I’ve seen him give the ball away and further he drives forward, links up and increasingly has added crossing too. We can’t all have a TAA crossing

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We managed to sell Smalling for 17m. What makes you think we can’t sell those three for the value I set?

One player wanted by Bielsa so much. One player did very well on loan. The other is a good PL level goalkeeper.
Where have you been last few summers? Its very rare for us to sell several deadwoods in one go to raise 70-80m cash, so rare that it almost never happened, even in pre-COVID market.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Where have you been last few summers? Its very rare for us to sell several deadwoods in one go to raise 70-80m cash, so rare that it almost never happened, even in pre-COVID market.
That's because the deadwoods last few summers weren't not valuable and not good enough to be sold.

When we have valuable deadwoods, we managed to sell them for good values, look at Smalling & Lukaku. I didn't list Dalot, Jones, Bailly, Pereira. I actually listed 3 valuable players who can still be good enough to play for PL clubs and wanted by clubs/managers out there.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Dortmund may be since they need a keeper. Or West Ham since they need a new keeper. Perfect isn’t it that we can use him as part of the swap deal. Milan is likely to buy Tomori for 24.5m this summer, not sure how Hendo cannot be sold for similar price, he’s a good goalkeeper mate. Martinez cost 20m and he’s older and not British.
That would require us to loan Henderson out for the season and also perform for a year to justify that. So we won't raise the money until a year later and that's only potentially. You're also not taking into account the massive wages our players are on.

I would love to receive the figures you've put, but much like a few other posters have said, I'd have to see it to believe it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That's because the deadwoods last few summers weren't not valuable and not good enough to be sold.

When we have valuable deadwoods, we managed to sell them for good values, look at Smalling & Lukaku. I didn't list Dalot, Jones, Bailly, Pereira. I actually listed 3 valuable players who can still be good enough to play for PL clubs and wanted by clubs/managers out there.
We bought Lukaku for 80m and sold him for less in just 2 season, he has the reputation of being PL top 3 current goalscorer, one of WC18 top goalscorer, and one of international top goalscorer at that time, so I am not sure you could regard him as deadwood even he does not fit Ole's plan. There are always big clubs interested in taking him. Its just like saying Rashford is deadwood if somehow he no longer fits in new manager's plan.

Smalling though, it took us a year to loan him out, and him to perform well, in order to convince Roma to buy him. It doesn't happen overnight, he has to prove himself over the season to earn the move. Only Lingard has the potential to match Smalling type of transfer this summer, after his successful loan with West Ham.

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
My grievance with people who say AWB is useless on the ball is that I don’t think I’ve seen him give the ball away and further he drives forward, links up and increasingly has added crossing too. We can’t all have a TAA crossing
He is not useless, but he is not good in build-up play. He is very little progressive. Both compared to Shaw and Telles. And it does hurt our transition play.

But yes, he rarely gives the ball away.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You can see that it isn't an edit because you quoted their post and it says 25m. If they edit after you quote, the quote doesn't change.
He obviously changed it before I had time to reply, I know what I read. He said 25-30m. Even that is frankly bonkers anyway, nobody is paying that much for James.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sheffield paid close to 20m for Aaron Ramsdale, Hendo is a very good & young England international and PL experienced GK, on long term contract, he can easily fetch 25-30m
You're overlooking the usual United situation that we've banged him on a huge contract.
A massive reason we never get the fees you'd think.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Because they realise how desperate we are to sell our deadwood.
And because we dish out 100k a week long term deals, that the player won't get near elsewhere, without us having to take it out of the fee/subsidise.

OmarUnited4ever

You're overlooking the usual United situation that we've banged him on a huge contract.
A massive reason we never get the fees you'd think.
perhaps you are right, but i think there are some teams that can afford his wages, iirc he's getting 100k weekly.

anyway let's not derail the Rice thread

Adnan

Talent Spotter
With the reported price tag being too high (£90m), if the reliable Matt Law is anything to by. Then it might be more beneficial to sign the below two players over Rice, who potentially might cost less combined in comparison to the West Ham player.

Aurelien Tchouameni & Maxence Caqueret > Declan Rice

It's moves like the above that I feel we need to adopt if we want to have a balanced squad with a upgrade of quality and football IQ. Or else I fear we'll be complaining how the manager wasn't backed after blowing the budget on singular targets.

croadyman

With the reported price tag being too high (£90m), if the reliable Matt Law is anything to by. Then it might be more beneficial to sign the below two players over Rice, who potentially might cost less combined in comparison to the West Ham player.

Aurelien Tchouameni & Maxence Caqueret > Declan Rice

It's moves like the above that I feel we need to adopt if we want to have a balanced squad with a upgrade of quality and football IQ. Or else I fear we'll be complaining how the manager wasn't backed after blowing the budget on singular targets.
Yeah we need to looking at these kind of options along with Zakaria, Neuhaus, Locatelli

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah we need to looking at these kind of options along with Zakaria, Neuhaus, Locatelli
The biggest worry I have with Solskjaer in the transfer market is that he's too focused on players who will cost huge fees. And we aren't backed by Oil money, so it's best to be creative in the market, rather than get fixated on players who will cost a very high fee.

If Solskjaer can't see past the likes of Kane, Sancho, Grealish Rice , etc, then we'll likely end up signing only one of the aforementioned players and then complain he wasn't backed.

So if Solskjaer is hell bent on signing Sancho, then give up on Rice and look to Monaco and Lyon for a upgrade in midfield.

croadyman

The biggest worry I have with Solskjaer in the transfer market is that he's too focused on players who will cost huge fees. And we aren't backed by Oil money, so it's best to be creative in the market, rather than get fixated on players who will cost a very high fee.

If Solskjaer can't see past the likes of Kane, Sancho, Grealish Rice , etc, then we'll likely end up signing only one of the aforementioned players and then complain he wasn't backed.

So if Solskjaer is hell bent on signing Sancho, then give up on Rice and look to Monaco and Lyon for a upgrade in midfield.
Yeah that is exactly the kind of mindset we should be adopting in this window but the lack of solid links to any CDM's outside of Rice is worrying and suggests there isn't any kind of backup plan in place at all

AneRu

Agreed, we certainly have options - we could sign Sancho, Tchouameni and Botman/Milenkovic and emerge stronger than if we go with this approach of one big signing per year because the Glazers aren't sanctioning a £200m outlay in this climate.

I think balance is more important than individual quality especially when some of the players in key positions right now have major flaws. I am convinced that we won't compete for or win major honors with McFred in the pivot and Lindelof in the heart of defence. Trophies are often defined on fine margins and those three are error prone and have technicalor physical limitations that make them susceptible in such situations.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah that is exactly the kind of mindset we should be adopting in this window but the lack of solid links to any CDM's outside of Rice is worrying and suggests there isn't any kind of backup plan in place at all
There will be a list of midfield players on our list. But it all depends on Phelan and Solskjaer deviating away from the most obvious choices that are playing at clubs who will demand premium prices.

Tchouameni for example has been on our radar since his Bordeaux days according to reports. But the scouts can't go and sign the player because the directive is set by the manager and Mike Phelan.

AneRu

Which is certainly worrying and leads to genuine questions wrt competency of those making these decisions. It's clear for anyone with a brain cells that we won't be able to do Sancho, Rice and Torres in one window but we also need reinforcements in those areas if we are to maintain our position and compete.

Alternatives to Rice should have been in place and moves being made to secure them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed, we certainly have options - we could sign Sancho, Tchouameni and Botman/Milenkovic and emerge stronger than if we go with this approach of one big signing per year because the Glazers aren't sanctioning a £200m outlay in this climate.

I think balance is more important than individual quality especially when some of the players in key positions right now have major flaws. I am convinced that we won't compete for or win major honors with McFred in the pivot and Lindelof in the heart of defence. Trophies are often defined on fine margins and those three are error prone and have technicalor physical limitations that make them susceptible in such situations.
You're spot on.

Unless we broaden our horizons and look past players who are valued at extortionate prices, we won't be challenging anytime soon IMO. And the same people who say Solskjaer wasn't backed, will say the same, whilst a rival club will go ahead and sign the likes of Tchouameni and Caqueret for less than what Rice will cost, combined. And we'll say, 'look at that club and how well it's run' whilst crying for Van der Sar to arrive.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

That and Haaland next year. I'd take it

croadyman

You're spot on.

Unless we broaden our horizons and look past players who are valued at extortionate prices, we won't be challenging anytime soon IMO. And the same people who say Solskjaer wasn't backed, will say the same, whilst a rival club will go ahead and sign the likes of Tchouameni and Caqueret for less than what Rice will cost combined. And we'll say, 'look at that club and how well it's run' whilst crying for Van der Sar to arrive.
Yeah if only someone from the club was reading this but let's face it they shouldn't need telling

snk123

Rice for anything more than 40m is just wrong. Chelsea got a league winner Kante for 30m ffs.

Ludens the Red

Bang on the money. It’s something that needs to change at this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.