Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I think it's safe to assume that after the euros he's had, there is not a chance in hell west ham will sell him for anything less than an astronomical fee, I'm thinking 90m +

ThreeCorners

He's playing out of his skin, but his distribution has been dreadful. Could have have released the ball earlier a number of times now to set up the counter.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not surprising his best game is the one game we play with a low block.

Bobski

Best I have seen him play, looked dynamic, nimble and physically dominant, raised his game in the big moment.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Similar to Mctominay, his best game usually happens when his team plays the worst football.

Eddy_JukeZ

He is pretty much McTominay, but better defensively

We need players like Verratti and Barella in midfield

Metronome midfield players

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Honestly think I may have watched a different game as I thought he was our worst performer. Just looked clumsy to me and was completely outplayed by Italy's midfield.

jesperjaap

That was the first time for me we saw a similar Rice to the Rice of West Ham last season. He can occasionally drive with power, excellent reading and positional sense. Should be a surprise hsi performance tonight, only in that it was better than the rest of the tournament. I think SOuthgate took the wrong one off, Phillips looked shattered to me as the pundits kept saying, surprised he lasted the whole game

jesperjaap

His defensive positioning was excellent too. Stronger than his passing imo. He was slightly lindelof like passive in terms of sticking the boot in when needed though, only real weakness in an other wise well rounded player.
Yes his range of passing and defensive positioning were his strongest points by far and the two main things we are missing in all our current options I feel. Rice doesnt bring that range of passing, but I do think his defensive positioning for his age especially is very good

Reiver

From what I saw, this was his best game of the tournament and he still wasn't that good. I think we should stay well clear

criticalanalysis

Very good game and impressed me with his battling performance. Should have stayed on imo. Mount should have been subbed to bring on someone like Grealish.

Still unsure about his suitability for us.

passing-wind

He looked to offer more against Italy, made Veratti, Barella and co ineffective through the midfield. He's far more disciplined defensively than either Fred or Mctomminay. He would be class under the right manager and midfield balance.

jesperjaap

Just a question about Carrick - had pressing been that much of a tactic when he was playing compared to the way it was post Klopp’s introduction to the game?

I hardly remember seeing it back then except maybe Barcelona?
As someone else mentioned there was pressing but not as high up the pitch as currently. It was actually pressing hard on the midfielders recieving the ball. For me, it was something Carrick really struggled with in a lot of big games earlier in his career. Remember a couple of games against Liverpool it happened a lot. This was something he seemed to really improve in his latter years I feel more than any other part of his game, his composure and decision making was excellent in such situations once he hit 30

Nick7

First half was the best he’s played all tournament. I was impressed but I did think that the Rice/Phillips set up was perfect for the Italian midfield.

cyberman

He played well when Italy were hesitant and could cover ground as the spare man in a basically back 5. As soon as Italy adapted and got a foot hold in the game he fell apart. The ball got trapped between the CBs and had to hit it long because Rice was a liabilty in possession.

vodrake

I'm still not sure what to think of him. Take today, he wins the ball excellently, drives forward skinning two or three players effortlessly, then scuffs a 5 yard pass out of play or straight to the opposition. This seemed to happen multiple times

Zoo

Is it not worrying he couldn't finish games ? He is always gassed out as if he spends his energy running around needlessly
He was injured for a few months in the second half of the season. Don’t think he’s 100%.

hobbers

He wasn't bad tonight but Italy bossed almost the whole game and had, what, 68% possession?

Yeh they had 68 possession because Rice and Philips are shit on the ball. He did a good job carrying it up the pitch but he never found an England shirt at the end of those runs.

Born2Lose

Not that impressed with him, he is young though. Think Phillips has been better the games I've watched.

Arran_Devil

Supports
United/Rangers
This game shows exactly why we should steer well clear. He was as good as he gets and had zero impact on anything close to an attack.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'm still not sure what to think of him. Take today, he wins the ball excellently, drives forward skinning two or three players effortlessly, then scuffs a 5 yard pass out of play or straight to the opposition. This seemed to happen multiple times
Yeah it is pretty common for West Ham too. He’s a bit like Harry Maguire in midfield. Exceptionally good at keeping hold of the ball but not actually that great at using it. He’s such a dominant defensive player that it seems simpler just to play him at centre back. Is he really so influential on the ball that you have to play him in midfield?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He looked to offer more against Italy, made Veratti, Barella and co ineffective through the midfield. He's far more disciplined defensively than either Fred or Mctomminay. He would be class under the right manager and midfield balance.
What? He had a better game for us tonight than usual, but we completely ceded possession and dropped behind the ball, so not sure how:

a) he had anything to do with making Italy's midfield ineffective - which I dispute anyway

b)The fact the midfield were able to completely dominate possession, what did he do well tonight exactly? Also fell asleep for the goal as he was marking Bonucci.

Irwin99

Hard to know what to think. Do you praise him for being fantastically tenacious and reading the game well, getting tackles in and having some moments of genuine class (same applies to his midfield partner) or do you say 'well, Italy's midfield did all that too AND absolutely bossed possession and controlled the game'.

I get the hype in some ways I just wish these types of midfielders had more about them. It's like watching a stronger version of Fred (who I think is decent too)

Abraxas

Carried the ball for the first time in the tournament today. Looked a bit ungainly but he pulled it off for the most part. Did his usual job defensively.

But again you have to say we totally conceded the midfield. Not unexpected against the class he was up against but it does again highlight this issue of passing ability, touch, ability to take the ball against the absolute best. Pairing him up with McTominay, Fred etc as our Phillips, is this really the road we want to go down based on the football England have played? One for our recruitment team to consider.

I think he'd ran his race completely in this tournament, looked well and truly spent after 60 mins.

passing-wind

What? He had a better game for us tonight than usual, but we completely ceded possession and dropped behind the ball, so not sure how:

a) he had anything to do with making Italy's midfield ineffective - which I dispute anyway

b)The fact the midfield were able to completely dominate possession, what did he do well tonight exactly? Also fell asleep for the goal as he was marking Bonucci.
Italy dominated possession collectively with the phases of play, they didn't dominate the midfield. The fact that most of Italy's attacking play came from the distribution of the centre backs not Jorginho or Veratti is telling of this as a narrative.

It comes down to perspective, if you take Rice out of that game Italy in the first half would have played between the lines more effectively exposing Maguire and Stones to 1v1s which was seldom an option when Rice screened the defence.

I'm not trying to say that Rice had some type of midfield masterclass but it's a pretty shortsighted view to diminish his influence in the game. What I can't understand is how Rice gets criticised for his limitations but Mctomminay / Fred are praised for the breadcrumb dynamics they bring to the team. I have said for months that this forums ability to objectively assess players individual performances is comical.

thepolice123

I thought Rice and Phillips were superb in the first half. They were physically dominant and completely stifled Italy's midfield.

Its not his fault Italy dominated possession in the second half. Mancini made a tactical switch to overload the midfield and pass around the press. It was Southgate's responsibility to adjust and all he could do was bring Henderson on to mark Veratti.

passing-wind

Hard to know what to think. Do you praise him for being fantastically tenacious and reading the game well, getting tackles in and having some moments of genuine class (same applies to his midfield partner) or do you say 'well, Italy's midfield did all that too AND absolutely bossed possession and controlled the game'.

I get the hype in some ways I just wish these types of midfielders had more about them. It's like watching a stronger version of Fred (who I think is decent too)
Well this is the issue, if Rice is anything better at his weaknesses he would be one of the best players in world football. It's the fault of Southgate for not utilising a more controlling midfield, the balance in international football comes down to player selection. Theres no great passers of the ball to my knowledge for England period. The offset could have been to bring someone like a Lotus Cheek who can drive runs transitioning the ball to the attack. Rice / Phillips is far too defensive alongside playing 5 across the back, but England were never outplaying Italy when it came to possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.