Deism - Believe in God but not religion

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
So thought I'd put this in here as a supplement to the religion thread.

Deism is simply believing in God but forsake organized religion and it's strictures. Personally though coming from a conservative household, I dislike organized religion, though still don't consider myself an atheist.

Similarly, What most don't realize is that "oh, I was brought up Catholic, but not religious" fits into Deism more than actual Catholicism. (Can Replace Catholic with any other belief)

It speaks of a God whose religion doesn't have rules, demands and need for money. Just the belief in something greater than our understanding of human life. Or maybe just a way to explain things science hasn't explained yet.

Are there anyone who feel or fall into this category?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
A lot of people I know would fall under the category of Deist actually. They believe in something but reject Christianity, Islam, Judaism as systems of belief.

Personally, I consider myself a philosophical Daoist more than anything else (especially as opposed to Buddhist) but most of my friends raised in the west would probably fall under the category of Deists even if they describe themselves as "spiritual but not religious".

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lots of people would fall under that destruction but where’s the fun in that? No donation, no fanaticism, no politics, no indoctrination - that’s what makes religious fever spread like the plague and powerful enough to be weaponised.

I don’t believe in God either so that’s me out.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I didn't know that was the word for it, but yes, I'm a deist (?) in that case. Definitely not committed to the 'upper caste' ideals that the Supreme Leader of my once-democratic, now-theocratic Hindutva state expects of his citizens/bhakts.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So thought I'd put this in here as a supplement to the religion thread.

Deism is simply believing in God but forsake organized religion and it's strictures. Personally though coming from a conservative household, I dislike organized religion, though still don't consider myself an atheist.

Similarly, What most don't realize is that "oh, I was brought up Catholic, but not religious" fits into Deism more than actual Catholicism. (Can Replace Catholic with any other belief)

It speaks of a God whose religion doesn't have rules, demands and need for money. Just the belief in something greater than our understanding of human life. Or maybe just a way to explain things science hasn't explained yet.

Are there anyone who feel or fall into this category?
Deism is a belief in a non-interventionist God. It doesn't neccesarily mean that is inside or outside an organised religion.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I believe in de-

-Eeeez nuts

*Lampardian transition*

No but seriously, I'm more agnostic because I can't rule out some form of higher power existing

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I fall under this, I read about Deism a few years ago and it did capture what my feelings are towards religion.

I do believe there is a God, because no matter how far you want to go back in understanding the origins of the universe, I think we can theorize as early as 10^-64 seconds into the big bang, you can never go to 0. Something, or someone, just have created the world then.

When it comes to organized religion, I don't accept that any human can tell me who the real God is and therefore dictate how I live my life according to his/her/it's rules, rather than understanding morality and basing it on that. There have been many religions in the present and past, everyone thought they were the right ones and controlled people through it, I don't separate one from the other.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
What kind of God are we talking about here? One or many? All powerful or not? Omniscient or not? Truly knowable or not?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Deism is a belief in a non-interventionist God. It doesn't neccesarily mean that is inside or outside an organised religion.
Interesting. I did not notice that differentiation.

However, it would be impossible to run any kind of organized relegion with an non-interventionist God. No miracles, no path to heaven, no smiting unbeleivers...no religion.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I fall under this, I read about Deism a few years ago and it did capture what my feelings are towards religion.

I do believe there is a God, because no matter how far you want to go back in understanding the origins of the universe, I think we can theorize as early as 10^-64 seconds into the big bang, you can never go to 0. Something, or someone, just have created the world then.

When it comes to organized religion, I don't accept that any human can tell me who the real God is and therefore dictate how I live my life according to his/her/it's rules, rather than understanding morality and basing it on that. There have been many religions in the present and past, everyone thought they were the right ones and controlled people through it, I don't separate one from the other.
I've always found this deeply problematic. I find the the idea that everything exists randomly and for no particular reason, much more compelling to digest.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Deism sounds like you want to let go of religion but you can't bring yourself to do so yet. The 'hole-riddled underwear but the elastic waistband is still fine' religious view.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Interesting. I did not notice that differentiation.

However, it would be impossible to run any kind of organized relegion with an non-interventionist God. No miracles, no path to heaven, no smiting unbeleivers...no religion.
I know an Anglican minister who doesn't believe in an interventionist God. I'm not sure exactly how non-interventionist his God is but he certainly doesn't think he goes around curing cancer if you ask him nicely. And growing up many Catholics I knew didn't believe in that way. Most did of course.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Deism sounds like you want to let go of religion but you can't bring yourself to do so yet. The 'hole-riddled underwear but the elastic waistband is still fine' religious view.
Agreed. There's always a temptation to embrace something divine that helps answer the unanswered, and Deism seems to basically be theism - lite in this regard.

Tarrou

I'm very open to there being a creator but believe all religions are made-up by people

so much is unanswered I find it hard to be sure about any of it

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Ah, the church of hedging your bets...

No, we're born, we live, we die, end of story, just like everything else on this planet.

The fact that humans have developed to the point of being self aware has driven a narcissistic want to believe in some higher purpose... there is none, you're born, you live you die, end of story.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Kind of defeats the purpose. What's the point of a god if you can't use it to control people and take their money.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I've always found this deeply problematic. I find the the idea that everything exists randomly and for no particular reason, much more compelling to digest.
How is it problematic? The problem comes when someone lets religion control their morals, that can then have an impact on other people's lives. If someone believes there is a God, but doesn't let it influence their life, how is that problematic?

It's not that I believe there is some grand plan from God that governs the universe, I do believe in evolution and the events that lead to the creation of the universe. It's just, that for me, there's no explanation of how everything started because. Like I said, you can never explain point zero of the universe.

Last edited:

Bert_

How is it problematic? The problem comes when someone lets religion control their morals, that can then have an impact on other people's lives. If someone believes there is a God, but doesn't let it influence their life, how is that problematic?

It's not that I believe there is some grand plan from God that governs the universe, I do believe in evolution and the events that lead to the creation of the universe. It's just, that for me, there's no explanation of how everything started because. Like I said, you can never explain point zero of the universe.
I think we might just have to accept that the explanation is beyond our feeble brains capability to comprehend it. We don't even know if there is a point zero.

We could be living in a universe created by some entity. But then that entity has to exist in another universe in order to create ours. Who created their universe? And so on.

Withnail

It just seems like people being unable to totally get away from the indoctrination to me.

Yes you've realised organised religions are a load of nonsense but still there must be something right? This can't be all there is, sort of thing?

For me, yes it is, and as I was brought up without any religious instruction from my parents and we didn't go to mass. They were what was considered non practicing at the time but my dad is an atheist, my mother I'm not so sure. Although I was surrounded by Catholics, my grandparents were very religious and I attended of Irish Catholic school with all that entailed (communion, confirmation, learning off the catechism etc), an afterlife or a creator was never something that ever seemed real or realistic.

I suppose what struck me when thinking about it over the years was if it's an non-interventionist God did exist, who has no impact on my life or the world (which is clearly the case when you look at the state the of place), then that God's existence is an irrelevance to me.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
It just seems like people being unable to totally get away from the indoctrination to me.

Yes you've realised organised religions are a load of nonsense but still there must be something right? This can't be all there is, sort of thing?

For me, yes it is, and as I was brought up without any religious instruction from my parents and we didn't go to mass. They were what was considered non practicing at the time but my dad is an atheist, my mother I'm not so sure. Although I was surrounded by Catholics, my grandparents were very religious and I attended of Irish Catholic school with all that entailed (communion, confirmation, learning off the catechism etc), an afterlife or a creator was never something that ever seemed real or realistic.

I suppose what struck me when thinking about it over the years was if it's an non-interventionist God did exist, who has no impact on my life or the world (which is clearly the case when you look at the state the of place), then that God's existence is an irrelevance to me.
Here we go again :lol: we know each other's stories already. I can tell you by observing religious folks that being religious definitely has a positive impact on their lives. I can't, but if I could I would. No down side

Withnail

Here we go again :lol: we know each other's stories already. I can tell you by observing religious folks that being religious definitely has a positive impact on their lives. I can't, but if I could I would. No down side
Ha ha but I'm talking about the reality of whether a God exists and if that god actually has an impact. If it doesn't then it's an irrelevance for me.

The wider point as to whether believe in a god has a positive impact on people is for a different discussion. But for every little old person who gets some comfort from their community, I could point to a woman or child forced to carry a pregnancy arising from rape to term so, you know, swings and roundabouts.

Revan

Assumptionman
I am a kind of agnostic deist, if such a think exists.

I think that all religions are completely man-made and false.

I do not think there is an interventionist God(s).

However, I am open to the possibility that this universe might have been created by a race of higher beings, essentially by God(s). It could be as simple as us being in a computer program (simulated universe), or something more abstract.

At the same time, I am open to the possibility that the universe does not have a creator. I kinda find fascinating the idea of eternal inflation, of the multiverse being always there and rapidly expanding in pocket universes, one of which is ours.

Ultimately, I think we won’t ever know, albeit if we manage to make simulated universes where people inside get self-awareness, by probability it means that most likely we are in a simulation too.

Saying that, even if God(s) who don’t intervene exist, they do not need, neither ask for our prayers.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Intellectually problematic perhaps?

You have to abandon a great deal of the reasoning you apply to almost everything else to believe in a God (or whatever supernatural entity that you can characterise).

Sweet Square

I’m a atheist but have to admit our answer of the nothingness void after death isn’t exactly a winning one. So I can see why people want to have a pick n mix style religion without the terrible dogmatic hierarchy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Because the idea that the Universe was created by a higher intelligence or a deity is a human construction (just like all religion is) that is not supported by any factual evidence. Therefore, it isn't any more compelling than believing in any of the organized religions. They both run into the same absence of evidence problem, and both are believed many because humans desire the comfort explaining their own existence.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Because the idea that the Universe was created by a higher intelligence or a deity is a human construction (just like all religion is) that is not supported by any factual evidence. Therefore, it isn't any more compelling than believing in any of the organized religions. They both run into the same absence of evidence problem, and both are believed many because humans desire the comfort explaining their own existence.
The idea that the universe was caused by inanimate means is a human construction as well. Its a cheap shot i know it.

But of course we know a great deal more about the evolution of the universe and supported by evidence than God did it.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The idea that the universe was caused by inanimate means is a human construction as well. Its a cheap shot i know it.
Everything is a human construction based on that, but we are talking about believing something to be true as opposed to the absence of belief in something. I don't know how the Universe was created or if it was even created at all, but I'm willing to follow the science as humans continue to accrue more evidence one way or another. That's light years different from deism or theism.

Don't Kill Bill

Deism is the ultimate nothing burger belief system. Believing something exists about which you know nothing and can say nothing is pretty close to believing in nothing.

Can't say this god created the universe, cares about us even knows we exist. What is the point in that.

If someone asks a deist what he believes in then the deist should just walk away humming a song. It makes more sense and at least you get to hear a tune.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think we might just have to accept that the explanation is beyond our feeble brains capability to comprehend it. We don't even know if there is a point zero.

We could be living in a universe created by some entity. But then that entity has to exist in another universe in order to create ours. Who created their universe? And so on.
It gives me an uneasy feeling when I consider things like this. If there is a god, what did he do before he created anything? Why did he exist? Who created him? It's such a mind feck. When you hit that point along this train of thought and then suddenly the brain just can't comprehend nothingness and it feels weird to try and think about. Unless that's just me :lol:

Maticmaker

God = Faith (in the laws of thermodynamics)

Or, as my old science teacher use to say, "whoever can control both enthalpy and entropy at the same time... he's the man!

Never really understood it but repeating it appeared to stop/confound all religious arguments, especially when any alcohol had been consumed ;)

MarylandMUFan

I’m a atheist but have to admit our answer of the nothingness void after death isn’t exactly a winning one. So I can see why people want to have a pick n mix style religion without the terrible dogmatic hierarchy.
As an atheist, I think it is a winning answer. No suffering in hell, no worrying about my grandma looking down on me when I am having sex (why is it that your loved ones are looking down on you when you do something great but no when you are doing other acts?).
The "I will go into nothingness, just like before I was conceived" seems like a fair trade off for getting a shot at life on this planet.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
It gives me an uneasy feeling when I consider things like this. If there is a god, what did he do before he created anything? Why did he exist? Who created him? It's such a mind feck. When you hit that point along this train of thought and then suddenly the brain just can't comprehend nothingness and it feels weird to try and think about. Unless that's just me :lol:
Regularly do this. Sends my brain into a proper funk.