Dele Alli is England's best young midfielder playing in Turkey

Couch potato 82

It's close between Alli and Martial I'll grant you that and Alli is having a better season.

Mkhitaryan is undoubtably ahead of Alli in talent but he's also a finished product. He's in a new team in a new league though. Last season in the Bundesliga he had form and consistency Alli is yet to reach.

Alli is easily a level below Pogba. He's not a pure 10 as you say and Pogba is a mile ahead of him in everything but goals.

Alli is in a purple patch and has some way to go before he shows he can match Maya's consistency.
How long is a purple patch? Alli has a season and a half of good form behind him. He's a damn good player. We can acknowledge this without denigrating our own players. It's not an either/or situation.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's close between Alli and Martial I'll grant you that and Alli is having a better season.

Mkhitaryan is undoubtably ahead of Alli in talent but he's also a finished product. He's in a new team in a new league though. Last season in the Bundesliga he had form and consistency Alli is yet to reach.

Alli is easily a level below Pogba. He's not a pure 10 as you say and Pogba is a mile ahead of him in everything but goals.

Alli is in a purple patch and has some way to go before he shows he can match Maya's consistency.
A "purple patch" that's lasted over 1.5 seasons? Sounds more like a purple acreage to me.

And "Pogba is a mile ahead of him in everything but goals" .... except goals just happen to the most important thing of all.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I'd say Martial was the more talented of the two but the thing about what makes Alli so great is his mentality so it's hard to compare him with other young players. Alli will become a much better player than other players who are technically around his level.
Yeah I think that's fair, he has an amazing football brain for his age and doesn't seem phased either. Martial for all his talent has clearly been affected by personal events and being dropped this season.

I think they'll both go on to be two of the league's best players though, no doubt.

Righteous Steps

Martial is special, apart from Dembele, Gabriel Jesus (?) Emre Mor at a stretch, i can't think of many attacking talents under the age of 21 near his level, he has the ability to coupled with the athleticism and technique to be a b'allon d'or winner something i don't think Alli despite his huge talent has it in him to do.

I think the best part of his game will always be his numbers, which isn't a bad thing to have going for you, but in the end, when someone like Martial decides to 'switch it on' his scope and upside is bigger than Allis because he is simply a better player in most phases and aspects of the game attacking wise.

Alli is a unique talent as well, but in a modern comparison it would be like comparing a Thomas Muller to an Eden Hazard, one is a great player who got to near the top of their game based on intelligence movement and cool finishing, while the other because of his mercurial maverick talent, one has it in them to be the best in the world, and the other despite getting the very best out of their talents simply doesn't, Alli is probably even more special than Muller because he is genuinely a central midfielder by trade, while Muller has been a forward throughout his career, but still there is a ceiling in which i don't see with Martial potentially.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
He's playing fantastic and is brilliant to watch right now. His finish for the disallowed goal today was exquisite.

But a player who loses form looks a shadow of his former self. Hazard on fire and Hazard off the boil is a 10/10 player and a 1/10 player. And Alli will lose form at some point. People need to stop exaggerating and heaping pressure and expectation on young players like him. Pseudo-scientific bollocks about 'ceilings' should also be binned. People don't know wtf they're talking about.

Moby

Dick
I'd say Martial was the more talented of the two but the thing about what makes Alli so great is his mentality so it's hard to compare him with other young players. Alli will become a much better player than other players who are technically around his level.
Or even more for that matter, which is why the Lampard comparisons become more and more apt every day, and I've had huge respect for Lampard for what he did in his PL career.

Righteous Steps

He's playing fantastic and is brilliant to watch right now. His finish for the disallowed goal today was exquisite.

But a player who loses form looks a shadow of his former self. Hazard on fire and Hazard off the boil is a 10/10 player and a 1/10 player. And Alli will lose form at some point. People need to stop exaggerating and heaping pressure and expectation on young players like him. Pseudo-scientific bollocks about 'ceilings' should also be binned. People don't know wtf they're talking about.
Its not a psuedo scientific, its just a way of saying i think such and such player will go on to be better than the other despite maybe the actual reason for that being statistically apparent.

Stadjer

A "purple patch" that's lasted over 1.5 seasons? Sounds more like a purple acreage to me.

And "Pogba is a mile ahead of him in everything but goals" .... except goals just happen to the most important thing of all.
Lampard was a great goalscoring midfielder yet i dont think anyone ever though that made him the best midfielder. Iniesta, Xavi and also Scholes when he went to play deeper didnt score a lot of goals but in my opinion all of them were/are better players than Lampard.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

It's a purple patch in the same way that Kane is a one season wonder.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How long is a purple patch? Alli has a season and a half of good form behind him. He's a damn good player. We can acknowledge this without denigrating our own players. It's not an either/or situation.

He's got 22 goals and 16 assists in 1.5 seasons, it's a very good record and I'm not denying his talent but as I said, it doesn't put him ahead of Mata, a player who scored 21 goals and assisted 29 in a single season, he's got a bit of a way to go yet and I'm not denying that he could get there.

As for his comparison to Pogba, you say he's not a pure 10 and as such should grant him extra credit for his goal scoring ability but that's having your cake and eating it. As a centre mid, in comparison to Pogba he's behind in almost every other area. Key passes and chances created, assists, tackles won, aerial duals won, interceptions, total passes (double), successful take ons... the list goes on.

Prodigal7

Goals are the most important thing for strikers, not midfielders. But then Ali plays as a second striker anyway.

Dobbs

Feck me, Alli is even better than I thought then. Iniesta, Makalele, Xavi, Pirlo eat your heart out.
Clearly that's not his point.

Somewhere along the line certain fans have forgotten that getting the ball over line is ultimately the point of the game. That's what the players are aiming to do.

So if you've got a player who's very good at achieving that aim it can elevate their importance beyond what the rest of their skillset warrants.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
If Pogba was a bit more lucky with the amount of times he hit the bar/post he would be close to Ali in terms of goals. Pogba is better at everything else though.

Ali is good but i dont think he will be considered best midfielder in the world one day. Ali gets some serious hype for being English too.. you English people love hyping your own players.
This.

Jesus Christ, after that Chelsea game things went out of control in regard to Alli. The guy suddenly became ridiculously overrated with media and fans all joining the ride. Typical of an English youngster going through a purple patch.

Once his goals dries up a bit which will happen, there won't be anything to hype him about and it'll be the same story with these English youngsters in regard to hype and media. Alli is technically quite poor and his overall performances have nothing in them. The Chelsea game being a good example. He was poor on the ball, couldn't influenced play or show any talent technically but scored 2 goals and the hype about him exploded and it's been a few days of over the top overrating of this guy.

In a few weeks time all these current talks will look silly as it often happen with knee jerk like opinions created by the media.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It's a purple patch like how Kane is a one season wonder.
Yep.

I've been told many, many times on here about all these United players that are so much better than their Spurs' equivalent ... it's a miracle than United aren't top of the league.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It won't even be a conversation in a couple of years regarding Pogba vs Alli. People will laugh that it ever was.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Clearly that's not his point.

Somewhere along the line certain fans have forgotten that getting the ball over line is ultimately the point of the game. That's what the players are aiming to do.

So if you've got a player who's very good at achieving that aim it can elevate their importance beyond what the rest of their skillset warrants.
If you've seen him before you'd notice he constantly dismisses the idea that Pogba is better than Alli and his main argument is that Alli scores more. There much more to being a midfielder than scoring goals. Nobody is claiming goals are not an amazing asset for a midfielder to have nor that they are irrelevant in comparisons. We all know Pogba needs to score more to be up there at the top.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
If you've seen him before you'd notice he constantly dismisses the idea that Pogba is better than Alli and his main argument is that Alli scores more. There much more to being a midfielder than scoring goals. Nobody is claiming goals are not an amazing asset for a midfielder to have nor that they are irrelevant in comparisons. We all know Pogba needs to score more to be up there at the top.
As I said, he uses the argument that Alli is not just a #10 but then dismisses the argument that in every other facet of being an actual midfielder Pogba is streets ahead of Alli.

Kag

Yep.

I've been told many, many times on here about all these United players that are so much better than their Spurs' equivalent ... it's a miracle than United aren't top of the league.
Kane and Alli receive lots of praise on this forum and rightly so. Stop the woe is me piss.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
This.

Jesus Christ, after that Chelsea game things went out of control in regard to Alli. The guy suddenly became ridiculously overrated with media and fans all joining the ride. Typical of an English youngster going through a purple patch.

Once his goals dries up a bit which will happen, there won't be anything to hype him about and it'll be the same story with these English youngsters in regard to hype and media. Alli is technically quite poor and his overall performances have nothing in them. The Chelsea game being a good example. He was poor on the ball, couldn't influenced play or show any talent technically but scored 2 goals and the hype about him exploded and it's been a few days of over the top overrating of this guy.

In a few weeks time all these current talks will look silly as it often happen with knee jerk like opinions created by the media.
I actually wonder how many times you've seen Alli play ... being "technically poor" is not something that describes him. Alli often displays brilliant technique.

As for saying that "his overall performances have nothing in them" .. words fail me.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Kane and Alli receive lots of praise on this forum and rightly so. Stop the woe is me piss.
I rather think "woe is me" is the excuse being given as to why Pogba doesn't score that much. "If only he hadn't hit the woodwork" etc.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Premier League Stats Only

Clubs Alli has scored against:

Stoke City - 3
Southampton FC - 3
Chelsea FC - 2
Watford FC - 2
Leicester City - 1
Aston Villa - 1
West Bromwich Albion - 1
Everton FC - 1
Crystal Palace - 1
Norwich City - 1
West Bromwich Albion - 1
Burnley FC - 1
Manchester United - 1
Manchester City - 1

Totals Min: 4019
Goals: 20
Assists: 12
Goals+Assists: 32

A goal every 201mins
An assist every 335mins
A goal or assist every 126mins

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
This.

Exactly, remember all that hysteria around Rashford last year. Now we know it was just all media hype because he's English.

Or maybe Rashford despite being English is actually a very real prospect and Could have an excellent career.

When a player of any nationality has stacked up the numbers Alli has at 20 he's going to get understandably hyped. It's not an English thing, I've seen it in Spain when they have high quality youngsters coming through.

Fingeredmouse

This.

Nothing to do with the Chelsea. He's been consintently excellent for 1.5 years and is very young.

Dobbs

He's not claiming Alli is better than the greats you mentioned though. In the post I saw his point seemed pretty logical. Whilst I think Pogba is the better player(he will end up scoring plenty) goals do trump a lot of other skills.

There's probably a good number of midfielders who have a better first touch, better passing, better heading etc. However his ability to get goals more than makes up for that.

Ozil is better than Alli in so many respects and by quite some distance. Going into a tight, must win game though I know which one I'd want in my team. The guy most likely to get you that winning goal.

Boycott

It won't even be a conversation in a couple of years regarding Pogba vs Alli. People will laugh that it ever was.
Well if that's the case only in the way no one compares Ronaldo and Ribery. The latter is a top player in his own right but not in the conversation with Ronaldo.

Because Alli will be a top player. He's got talent, awareness and already set expectations of himself high. The people who don't put him down and have a snobbish attitude towards him [not just here but generally] wouldn't be like that if he played for United. And he should be at Utd. How we missed out despite seeing him boss us for MK Dons is beyond me.

Imagine this place if Pereira netted double figures in the PL for consecutive seasons by 20 :o

Fingeredmouse

You don't spend 70 million (which he is definitely not worth at the moment) and can't not know how to utilize him. Someone like Griezmann had a buyout less than that until a year ago and anyone would be mad to think Alli is even close to the French international's level.

He is a good player but the hype around him borders on the ridiculous at times. Martial is a bigger talent than he is and yet no one will be bidding that amount for him if he were to be made available.

As for United, we have better players than him playing is his best position. Players who are still to enter their prime or are currently in it. No way would be displace Pogba at the tip of a 3 in midfield for us and Mata is a better player than him by a distance currently. Those two would be starting our games if we deployed a pure #10. Not to mention the likes of Mkhitariyan who is also well ahead of him in terms of ability currently.
I would say 70 million is about the equivelent of our fee for Rooney in 2004 and I think he is just as exciting and should be bought if possible (which it isn't) for precisely the same reasons.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Exactly, remember all that hysteria around Rashford last year. Now we know it was just all media hype because he's English.

Or maybe Rashford despite being English is actually a very real prospect and Could have an excellent career.

When a player of any nationality has stacked up the numbers Alli has at 20 he's going to get understandably hyped. It's not an English thing, I've seen it in Spain when they have high quality youngsters coming through.
To be fair, Rashford has 14 goals in 44 appearances (the majority of them now have been lumped out on the wing and sub appearances). Alli has 21 in 71 and is 18 months older.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
He's not claiming Alli is better than the greats you mentioned though. In the post I saw his point seemed pretty logical. Whilst I think Pogba is the better player(he will end up scoring plenty) goals do trump a lot of other skills.

There's probably a good number of midfielders who have a better first touch, better passing, better heading etc. However his ability to get goals more than makes up for that.

Ozil is better than Alli in so many respects and by quite some distance. Going into a tight, must win game though I know which one I'd want in my team. The guy most likely to get you that winning goal.
The truth is Alli sacrifices a lot if the things he is good at to be more threatening, he could stack up more passes, more interceptions, more recoveries etc etc to have more pleasing numbers for some people. But that's not what the kid is about, he's already displayed as a 19 year old that he could play very competently as an alround midfield player in the PL.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Well if that's the case only in the way no one compares Ronaldo and Ribery. The latter is a top player in his own right but not in the conversation with Ronaldo.

Because Alli will be a top player. He's got talent, awareness and already set expectations of himself high. The people who don't put him down and have a snobbish attitude towards him [not just here but generally] wouldn't be like that if he played for United. And he should be at Utd. How we missed out despite seeing him boss us for MK Dons is beyond me.

Imagine this place if Pereira netted double figures in the PL for consecutive seasons by 20 :o
I've not put him down or been snobbish about him, I've been nothing but complimentary. I just don't think he's anywhere near the talent Pogba is and a few goals isn't going to change that.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

His post seems pretty illogical to me. Using the only (albeit important) thing Alli is better than Pogba at to claim Pogba isn't better than him would only hold up if both players were strikers

Prodigal7

The difference is that Pereira brings so much more to a team apart from goals.

Boycott

I've not put him down or been snobbish about him, I've been nothing but complimentary. I just don't think he's anywhere near the talent Pogba is and a few goals isn't going to change that.
I did say generally.

I'm not comparing him with Pogba. Both will be top players with different styles.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
To be fair, Rashford has 14 goals in 44 appearances (the majority of them now have been lumped out on the wing and sub appearances). Alli has 21 in 71 and is 18 months older.
So the hype around Rashfird is right and the hype around Alli is just because he's English?

NK86

Lol ... Martial is a "bigger talent" than Alli, Mkhitariyan is "well ahead of him in ability", "no way would he displace Pogba at the tip of a three" and Mata is a "better player than him by a distance".

Of course, I might have guessed, every vaguely position-matchable player at United is better than Alli. How strange then, that Alli has scored as many league goals this season as Pogba, Mata and Mkhitariyan all combined .

PS. Alli is not a "pure #10."
You truly are a troll. There been stats put up here which shows Pogba blowing Alli away in most components of a midfielder. Yet you never bothered to reply to it because it goes against your own habit of picking up stats to suit only your argument while completely ignoring others. Why not tell us stats about pass completion, chance creation, tackles won, intercepts made, assists, take ons done which are equally important from a midfielder's perspective.

I am stunned to not see you claim so far how far ahead of Iniesta is this overhyped Spurs youngster because he scores more than him.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
As I said, he uses the argument that Alli is not just a #10 but then dismisses the argument that in every other facet of being an actual midfielder Pogba is streets ahead of Alli.
That's because he is not "streets ahead" in "in every other facet of being an actual midfielder". He is better in many of these respects, but not "streets ahead" in all of those concerned.

And I'd say Alli is better than Pogba in some aspects of the game, quite apart from the gulf in goals. For example, IMO he has more drive and energy - more of a winning mentality - than Pogba.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
You truly are a troll. There been stats put up here which shows Pogba blowing Alli away in most components of a midfielder. Yet you never bothered to reply to it because it goes against your own habit of picking up stats to suit only your argument while completely ignoring others. Why not tell us stats about pass completion, chance creation, tackles won, intercepts made, assists, take ons done which are equally important from a midfielder's perspective.

I am stunned to not see you claim so far how far ahead of Iniesta is this overhyped Spurs youngster because he scores more than him.
Have you seen the 'third man runs' stat?

NK86

Martial was bought for 50m having done lessat that stage of his career than what Alli has currently. Martial may be a bigger talent, but isn't exactly the best example to use given his fee relative to the age, experience and performances he had back then.

Agree with him being overhyped, but its i would say there is a bit of logic in hyping up a 20 year old midfielder whos proved he can score as good as many strikers in this league, he is a big talent and what he is doing its pretty abnormal not just in England but in other leagues in Europe also.
No one here would say that 50 million was a logical fee for Martial. And he has still not justified it yet.