Dele Alli is England's best young midfielder playing in Turkey

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Would you really be happy if he joined United ? Do you think he would improve a team like us ?
He wouldn't fit in the same side as Pogba so it's a no from me. Great player though.

EyeInTheSky

Dele Alli has reached 20 Premier League goals in 52 apps; faster than midfielders such as Paul Scholes (74), David Beckham (90), Frank Lampard (140) and Steven Gerrard (169).

Can he keep it up? Sure hope so. Would be great viewing.
If he wins or contributes anywhere near what they have it will be a great achievement. The players you mention were not primarily tasked with scoring which makes their numbers all the more impressive. His pace makes him more likely to concentrate on attacking than anything else. Beckham, for example, was out on the wing due to the talent we had in the middle. His numbers would have been scary had he been in there. Also the number of assists from general play, corners and free kicks. How many assists does Alli have so far in his fledgeling career in the EPL?

If he can avoid injuries (he seems to have a lot of physio tape on often for someone so young), he can go as far as he desires.

Jinn

Wait one more season, then judge.
He's doing great now, and if this type of form continues over the next year, watch UTD go for him.

Norris

He wouldn't fit in the same side as Pogba so it's a no from me. Great player though.
I'm not sure about great, he's definitely very good and there is something about his game which excites people, but like you mentioned, he wouldn't really fit into our team unless you remove Pogba or a wide player to accommodate him.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He'll be off to Barca/ Real in the next 18-24 months.
Maybe in 2 years time. Maybe.

But a lot of things have to happen first.

Firstly he has to improve his all around play. He doesn't really effect the game enough outside of the penalty box and he's not good enough in the penalty box yet to displace any of the world class Real or Barca players. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he won't be moving until he's sure he'd be in the starting XI for those teams.

Secondly he has to really agitate for a move and typically that process takes a full year. Modric and Bale both wanted moves a year before they actually got them. Levy's smarted up since the Berbatov fiasco and that changed two things: The first being we won't sell to PL rivals anymore, the second being that we don't allow player contracts to run down - Levy always makes sure he has the contract leverage. Plus the promise for Modric and Bale was to stay and try and get CL and if we don't then we'll let you go - will be interesting now if we make CL more consistently. Although I'm fully aware given how competitive this top 6 is that's far from a sure thing.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If he wins or contributes anywhere near what they have it will be a great achievement. The players you mention were not primarily tasked with scoring which makes their numbers all the more impressive. His pace makes him more likely to concentrate on attacking than anything else. Beckham, for example, was out on the wing due to the talent we had in the middle. His numbers would have been scary had he been in there. Also the number of assists from general play, corners and free kicks. How many assists does Alli have so far in his fledgeling career in the EPL?

If he can avoid injuries (he seems to have a lot of physio tape on often for someone so young), he can go as far as he desires.
Scholes played a lot as a supporting striker when he was younger. Although he already showed his passing ability at that point and I don't think that Alli can match him.

A modern Lampard with a luxury of playing that role since the earlier days - probably. Great player

Classical Mechanic

Scholes played a lot as a supporting striker when he was younger. Although he already showed his passing ability at that point and I don't think that Alli can match him.

A modern Lampard with a luxury of playing that role since the earlier days - probably. Great player
Yeah, no way is he a DLP. I think he is coming on now because he is playing as a type of goal scoring number 10, he makes only 34 passes a game on average.

predator

Youth NITK
I think if Fergie was still in charge we'd be favourites to buy him. Under current circumstances I'm not sure Mourinho is desperate to get him, imo. I could be wrong! There will be interest from everywhere aswell so we better act fast if we are going to get him. He's 20 years old, he's ripping the prem apart, looks like he's been around for years. Tottenham will hold out for over 70million in today's market.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You find a way. Just like we had to buy Rooney when we didn't need him. If we can, we should buy the once in a generation English players.
I don't think he's quite a once in a generation England player. That's the sort of moniker a Rooney, Beckham or Gazza gets.

Fingeredmouse

I don't think he's quite a once in a generation England player. That's the sort of moniker a Rooney, Beckham or Gazza gets.
I think he's in that class. I said so a long time ago in this thread. He's in that echelon. I rate him extremely highly.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
I think if Fergie was still in charge we'd be favourites to buy him. Under current circumstances I'm not sure Mourinho is desperate to get him, imo. I could be wrong! There will be interest from everywhere aswell so we better act fast if we are going to get him. He's 20 years old, he's ripping the prem apart, looks like he's been around for years. Tottenham will hold out for over 70million in today's market.
I can just see Levy accepting £70m for Alli.

Fingeredmouse

He's worth 70million easily in today's market. I'd be shocked if Levy let him go for that. You'd need to break the record I think.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I can just see Levy accepting £70m for Alli.
Maybe, if an overseas club was bidding. But at the age of just 20, with Pochettino at the helm, with Spurs on the up and with Alli's strong connection with some of his team-mates, I don't see Alli being any hurry to leave.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Maybe. But at the age of just 20, with Pochettino at the helm, with Spurs on the up and with Alli's strong connection with some of his team-mates, I don't see Alli being any hurry to leave.
I was being dismissive, to even tempt Levy it will have to be way higher than 70.

As for Alli I can't see him even contemplating a move for the next 2 or 3 years and a lot will depend on where we are then and if it's the big 2 who are the ones calling.

predator

Youth NITK
I don't think Madrid or Barca would be willing to bid higher than us though. Spain is packed with very very good midfielders and even though I rate him massively, joining Barca would be risky for Alli because their system is orientated towards the famous msn. I also don't think Madrid need a player in that position at all. To United he is worth more because he is dominating the PL and of course is English.

Would Levy prefer to sell to a Spanish club for 20m less? And also it comes down to Alli himself, he may want to stick around in England.

NK86

You find a way. Just like we had to buy Rooney when we didn't need him. If we can, we should buy the once in a generation English players.
You don't spend 70 million (which he is definitely not worth at the moment) and can't not know how to utilize him. Someone like Griezmann had a buyout less than that until a year ago and anyone would be mad to think Alli is even close to the French international's level.

He is a good player but the hype around him borders on the ridiculous at times. Martial is a bigger talent than he is and yet no one will be bidding that amount for him if he were to be made available.

As for United, we have better players than him playing is his best position. Players who are still to enter their prime or are currently in it. No way would be displace Pogba at the tip of a 3 in midfield for us and Mata is a better player than him by a distance currently. Those two would be starting our games if we deployed a pure #10. Not to mention the likes of Mkhitariyan who is also well ahead of him in terms of ability currently.

NK86

Maybe in 2 years time. Maybe.

But a lot of things have to happen first.

Firstly he has to improve his all around play. He doesn't really effect the game enough outside of the penalty box and he's not good enough in the penalty box yet to displace any of the world class Real or Barca players. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he won't be moving until he's sure he'd be in the starting XI for those teams.

Secondly he has to really agitate for a move and typically that process takes a full year. Modric and Bale both wanted moves a year before they actually got them. Levy's smarted up since the Berbatov fiasco and that changed two things: The first being we won't sell to PL rivals anymore, the second being that we don't allow player contracts to run down - Levy always makes sure he has the contract leverage. Plus the promise for Modric and Bale was to stay and try and get CL and if we don't then we'll let you go - will be interesting now if we make CL more consistently. Although I'm fully aware given how competitive this top 6 is that's far from a sure thing.
I agree with all of that, especially the first part of your post. He is a good player in the box but does not have enough guile or effect on a game outside it. He could definitely improve but as you rightly pointed out that Levy may not sell to a PL rival and the big 2-3 currently all have way better players in his preferred best position.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You don't spend 70 million (which he is definitely not worth at the moment) and can't not know how to utilize him. Someone like Griezmann had a buyout less than that until a year ago and anyone would be mad to think Alli is even close to the French international's level.

He is a good player but the hype around him borders on the ridiculous at times. Martial is a bigger talent than he is and yet no one will be bidding that amount for him if he were to be made available.

As for United, we have better players than him playing is his best position. Players who are still to enter their prime or are currently in it. No way would be displace Pogba at the tip of a 3 in midfield for us and Mata is a better player than him by a distance currently. Those two would be starting our games if we deployed a pure #10. Not to mention the likes of Mkhitariyan who is also well ahead of him in terms of ability currently.
This i agree with but I think Alli could play the 8 role better than Herrera although not sure if he is 60-70 million pounds better.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
He's worth 70million easily in today's market. I'd be shocked if Levy let him go for that. You'd need to break the record I think.
This is a problem in football. Players get overhyped and overrated too quickly. If he's still doing this two seasons from now, maybe he'll be worth £70m to some teams.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

Lol ... Martial is a "bigger talent" than Alli, Mkhitariyan is "well ahead of him in ability", "no way would he displace Pogba at the tip of a three" and Mata is a "better player than him by a distance".

Of course, I might have guessed, every vaguely position-matchable player at United is better than Alli. How strange then, that Alli has scored as many league goals this season as Pogba, Mata and Mkhitariyan all combined .

PS. Alli is not a "pure #10."

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Basically, if this kid goes through a barren spell, where he nets one or two goals in the space of 20 games, is he still worth £70m?

Just look at someone like Rashford to see how easy it is for young players to go through a bad patch.

The good and the great are separated by consistency.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Tends to get an assist or goal, but I feel it masks some of his weaker performances.

Watching him for 90 minutes gives a real insight into his potential, rather than the highlight reel on MOTD. He doesn't have great passing ability in regards to dictating a game or keeping the ball moving. This can come with age and experience though.

He does however, have fantastic movement and awareness of the football game. He has the knack of appearing in the right place, making late runs and causing defenders a nightmare.

At 20 he is by no means a finished product, but he has all the potential to be a fantastic player for both Spurs and England for years to come.

Righteous Steps

Martial was bought for 50m having done lessat that stage of his career than what Alli has currently. Martial may be a bigger talent, but isn't exactly the best example to use given his fee relative to the age, experience and performances he had back then.

Agree with him being overhyped, but its i would say there is a bit of logic in hyping up a 20 year old midfielder whos proved he can score as good as many strikers in this league, he is a big talent and what he is doing its pretty abnormal not just in England but in other leagues in Europe also.

Righteous Steps

Basically, if this kid goes through a barren spell, where he nets one or two goals in the space of 20 games, is he still worth £70m?

Just look at someone like Rashford to see how easy it is for young players to go through a bad patch.

The good and the great are separated by consistency.
Well thats sort of the point, Alli has been incredibly consistent in his numbers something that rashford is curretnly struggling to do, this is regardless of one of them being a striker and the other a midfielder, this is essentially where the hype comes from.*

(*Yes i know Rashford has played on the wing many times this season*)

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Lol ... Martial is a "bigger talent" than Alli, Mkhitariyan is "well ahead of him in ability", "no way would he displace Pogba at the tip of a three" and Mata is a "better player than him by a distance".

Of course, I might have guessed, every vaguely position-matchable player at United is better than Alli. How strange then, that Alli has scored as many league goals this season as Pogba, Mata and Mkhitariyan all combined .

PS. Alli is not a "pure #10."
It's close between Alli and Martial I'll grant you that and Alli is having a better season.

Mkhitaryan is undoubtably ahead of Alli in talent but he's also a finished product. He's in a new team in a new league though. Last season in the Bundesliga he had form and consistency Alli is yet to reach.

Alli is easily a level below Pogba. He's not a pure 10 as you say and Pogba is a mile ahead of him in everything but goals.

Alli is in a purple patch and has some way to go before he shows he can match Maya's consistency.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think it's bias from our fans to say Martial is more talented than Alli right now to be fair, and it's an opinion I'll admit I held too. There's very little between them.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
It's close between Alli and Martial I'll grant you that and Alli is having a better season.

Mkhitaryan is undoubtably ahead of Alli in talent but he's also a finished product. He's in a new team in a new league though. Last season in the Bundesliga he had form and consistency Alli is yet to reach.

Alli is easily a level below Pogba. He's not a pure 10 as you say and Pogba is a mile ahead of him in everything but goals.

Alli is in a purple patch and has some way to go before he shows he can match Maya's consistency.
You missed out Lingaard and Fellaini, they are both levels above Alli as well.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I think it's bias from our fans to say Martial is more talented than Alli right now to be fair, and it's an opinion I'll admit I held too. There's very little between them.
I'd say Martial was the more talented of the two but the thing about what makes Alli so great is his mentality so it's hard to compare him with other young players. Alli will become a much better player than other players who are technically around his level.

Stadjer

If Pogba was a bit more lucky with the amount of times he hit the bar/post he would be close to Ali in terms of goals. Pogba is better at everything else though.

Ali is good but i dont think he will be considered best midfielder in the world one day. Ali gets some serious hype for being English too.. you English people love hyping your own players.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Got a good assist today but he doesn't really get massively involved throughout a game and he certainly isn't a midfielder. I could never invisage him "running a game" and i think he relies upon the likes of Dembele to do a lot of work for him. Dembele is the real star for me. All the others seem to flit in and out of form but he seems far more consistent and influential on a game.