Dele Alli is England's best young midfielder playing in Turkey

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So the hype around Rashfird is right and the hype around Alli is just because he's English?
I've never said the hype around Alli isn't justified, I just think it needs context as I've given in that post I compared to Mata, Mkhi, Martial and Pogba.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
That's clearly not what he's saying. The feck is wrong with you? Do you lot have permanent blue balls from coming close to the title but never winning it?
By starting with 'to be fair' it strongly implies that's exactly what he's saying.

And we didn't get close, so I think our balls are fine.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
That's because he is not "streets ahead" in "in every other facet of being an actual midfielder". He is better in many of these respects, but not "streets ahead" in all of those concerned.

And I'd say Alli is better than Pogba in some aspects of the game, quite apart from the gulf in goals. For example, IMO he has more drive and energy - more of a winning mentality - than Pogba.
that is pure hyperbole, especially when you consider what each has achieved in their career so far.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
How our scouts missed this trick after his display for MK Dons against us is beyond me. The ones with the England as their focus area should be sacked over it.

NK86

I would say 70 million is about the equivelent of our fee for Rooney in 2004 and I think he is just as exciting and should be bought if possible (which it isn't) for precisely the same reasons.
There was only RvN in front of Rooney at that time. I said we have three players in his position entering their prime or in it who are all currently better than him. Spending 70 mil for a player who won't improve our starting 11 in his best position makes very little sense.

Skills

Snitch
He's not worth 70m to anyone but spurs. He's like Ross barkley, might end up being a bit too good for Spurs but will never be worth the crazy fee for one of the big boys.

Good player mind. I feel the same way about Harry Kane.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Read to me like he's saying they are comparable to each other in terms of hype.
If he was saying that he wouldn't have started with 'to be fair' and followed it up with numbers that suggest Rashford does justify his hype.

It's clearly what he was saying.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
He's not worth 70m to anyone but spurs. He's like Ross barkley, might end up being a bit too good for Spurs but will never be worth the crazy fee for one of the big boys.

He's miles better than Barkley.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They're both excellent talents, one of whom plays further forward and has been asked to provide goals for the team. The other plays a little deeper and is used to start moves off.

They don't really play the same way to be able to compare them imo. It's not even like we play the same formation as Spurs either. But feel free to continue this comparison...

I'd take Alli in a heartbeat personally. Use him on the left as Tottenham have been doing recently with the freedom to push inside. That's me done and i'll flee this infuriating debate. :lol:

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
If he was saying that he wouldn't have started with 'to be fair' and followed it up with numbers that suggest Rashford does justify his hype.

It's clearly what he was saying.
Yeah exactly, Rashford does justify his hype. Just like Alli. What's the English part got to do with it?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's not miles better than Barkley, better right now though. Barkley is definitely the bigger talent.
Sorry but you are way off the mark there mate. Alli is a much better player than Barkley is already. He is a very exciting talent, no doubt.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Kanes scored 59 goals in the last 2 and a half seasons in the Premier League. He's scored 20+ goals in two seasons running (something Rooney has never achieved) all of this by the age of 23, yet he's a "good player"...

#exitingthread

Prodigal7

You have got to be joking?
Sorry but you are way off the mark there mate. Alli is a much better player than Barkley is already. He is a very exciting talent, no doubt.
Barkley has more to his game. Better passer, more two footed, better dribbler etc. Ali scores more and is more dangerous in the oppo box but yeah, that's what I think.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
that is pure hyperbole, especially when you consider what each has achieved in their career so far.
What a team achieves cannot be translated into an individual player's ratings. All quite apart from the fact that Pogba is three years older.

Nor is it hyperbole - it's based on what I've seen of both players on the pitch. And nor is it the only aspect of the game on which I'd rate Alli higher - for further examples his positioning and anticipation are both better than Pogba's IMO.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Yeah exactly, Rashford does justify his hype. Just like Alli. What's the English part got to do with it?
Read back, the initial comment about initial players wasn't made by him but a couple of others. I was simply saying it's not just an English thing.

Dobbs

His post seems pretty illogical to me. Using the only (albeit important) thing Alli is better than Pogba at to claim Pogba isn't better than him would only hold up if both players were strikers
If that's his only argument I agree with you. I would say a football fan over estimating one of their own is hardly surprising. We all do it.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
He was playing for Juve - a dominant team in an inferior league. Besides, what a team achieves cannot be translated into an individual player's ratings.

Nor is it hyperbole - it's based on what I've seen of both players on the pitch. And nor is it the only aspect of the game on which I'd rate Alli higher - for further examples his positioning and anticipation are both better than Pogba's IMO.
"Goals are the only stats that matter.. now I'll just name loads of non-stats"

Omar Little

How dare you! Don't you know Deli Ali has proven his winning mentality already by helping Spurs challenge for the title, for 3/4 of last season!

Pogba has only won 4 Serie A titles.

Kag

That's because he is not "streets ahead" in "in every other facet of being an actual midfielder". He is better in many of these respects, but not "streets ahead" in all of those concerned.

And I'd say Alli is better than Pogba in some aspects of the game, quite apart from the gulf in goals. For example, IMO he has more drive and energy - more of a winning mentality - than Pogba.
How do you conclude that Alli has more of a winning mentality than Pogba? For somebody so relentlessly (and idiotically) insistent on using statistics as a metric to assess the ability of footballers, it's odd to see you make claims that are so abstract.

May I remind you at this point that Pogba has won eight medals in his short career, while Alli has got his hands on a grand total of sod all.

Prodigal7

He was playing for Juve - a dominant team in an inferior league. Besides, what a team achieves cannot be translated into an individual player's ratings. All quite apart from the fact that Pogba is three years older.

anticipating a ball in the box maybe, positioning himself in the box maybe. Both fractional parts of "positioning and anticipation" as you put it.

prarek

I think both Barkley and Alli are talented young players. Spurs style suits Alli more than Everton does to Barkleys. We will see how they develop, 2 more years and i think it will become clear but atm Alli is the better player.

dbs235

Kanes scored 59 goals in the last 2 and a half seasons in the Premier League. He's scored 20+ goals in two seasons running (something Rooney has never achieved) all of this by the age of 23, yet he's a "good player"...

#exitingthread
62 after today! And he only needs seven more in half a season to make it 20+ in three seasons in a row.

Dobbs

The difference is that Pereira brings so much more to a team apart from goals.
See this is what I mean about fans over hyping their own. We're talking about Spurs fans doing it with Alli yet Pereira hasn't done a thing yet. Doesn't even warrant a comparison.

Prodigal7

See this is what I mean about fans over hyping their own. We're talking about Spurs fans doing it with Alli yet Pereira hasn't done a thing yet. Doesn't even warrant a comparison.
Pereira has been fantastic for Grenada. Have you seen him play this season?
I'm not saying he is as good as Ali now, but he has much more to his game.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
So many people when comparing Pogboom and Alli forget that one is an #8 and one is a #10.

Pogba has the additional responsibility of contributing positionaly, in the tackle and in the buildup from deep. Alli isn't hampered by these expectations and can do his thing in the last third of the pitch.

Please stop comparing the two, compare Alli to other #10's and Pogba to other #8's.

The only thing they both have common is being great talents, the comparison stops there.

RedStarUnited

What a team achieves cannot be translated into an individual player's ratings. All quite apart from the fact that Pogba is three years older.

They are very different players. Pogba participates in the game a lot more than Ali who is more active in the final third. Ali doesn't average over 70/80 passes a game where as Pogba does regularly. That alone should tell you that you cant compare them.

Ali is a second striker, he is not a midfielder and needs to be judged as such.

Kag

Barkley is actually outrageously talented. I'll not hear otherwise. He can do some brilliant things with a football and he's got all of the physical tools needed to be a great footballer. But he lacks in the brain department.

Alli, on the other hand, is very intelligent and plays the game with a degree of maturity that Barkley doesn't possess. He's a much better player right now as a result.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
How do you conclude that Alli has more of a winning mentality than Pogba? For somebody so relentlessly (and idiotically) insistent on using statistics as a metric to assess the ability of footballers, it's odd to see you make claims that are so abstract.

May I remind you at this point that Pogba has won eight medals in his short career, while Alli has got his hands on a grand total of sod all.
As I've already said, what a team achieves cannot be translated into an individual player's ratings. All quite apart from the fact that Pogba is three years older. And Juve have been a dominant team in an inferior league.

Nor do I just use goals and assist stats - vitally important thought these are. I also use my eyes to watch football.

I think what drives some United fans in this desperate quest to try and prove that Alli is so inferior to Pogba, is the knowledge that the cost of his contract and fee is probably 30 times greater than that of Alli's ... if not more.

Kag

As I've already said, what a team achieves cannot be translated into an individual player's ratings. All quite apart from the fact that Pogba is three years older. And Juve have been a dominant team in an inferior league.

Nor do I just use goals and assist stats - vitally important thought these are. I also use my eyes to watch football.

I think what drives some United fans in this desperate quest to try and prove that Alli is so inferior to Alli, is the knowledge that the cost of his contract and fee is probably 30 times greater than that of Alli's ... if not more.
Pogba = 8
Alli = 0

Pogba has a winning mentality. Alli does not.

Prodigal7

I think what drives some United fans in this desperate quest to try and prove that Alli is so inferior to Alli, is the knowledge that the cost of his contract and fee is probably 30 times greater than that of Alli's ... if not more.
Given that your judgment of players is based on goals and assists (and sometimes the kind of attributes you can look up on FIFA) I find that hard to believe.

Dobbs

Pereira has been fantastic for Grenada. Have you seen him play this season?
I'm not saying he is as good as Ali now, but he has much more to his game.
He's had half a season and looked impressive. I'm a fan but he simply doesn't warrant a favourable comparison to Alli. Let's see if Pereira can actually make it in a EPL team first. Right now your statement is worse than saying Alli is better than Pogba.

This is why I'm never too bothered by fans rating their own. We all do it. Part of the fun.