'Der Klassiker' : Bayern München vs. Borussia Dortmund

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I don't rate him as highly as a manager, I think he's been tactically wanting a lot during his managerial career so far....
But he's still young and learning. It wouldn't be a bad idea to settle on a manager again and start a new era just like you did with SAF, would it? Take the hit and swallow a few bad seasons to reap a decade of glory kinda thing. I think many clubs lose themselves in trying to chase the short term success and losing sight of long term success.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't rate him as highly as a manager, I think he's been tactically wanting a lot during his managerial career so far....
Based on what?

He took over a newly promoted Mainz in August and without net spending any money kept them away from relegation battle at all times and even made it into EL twice.

Then he took over a Dortmund side that just had a horrible season and kept them right on the heels of Bayern's Pep for most of the season, falling three points short of Dortmund's all time points record, despite prioritizing other competitions for the past 5 matches of the season. Under J K the team always struggled with their build up and breaking down ultra defensive opponents, a couple of weeks into Tuchel's tenure they were opening up buses with ease.

Comparing Tuchels last season to Klopp's last three seasons at the Club they peformed +31 / +7 / +12 on points total.

How do you constantly overachieve like that if you don't know your tactics?

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
So before the season everybody* already crowned Bayern champions for the next 5 seasons and called Bundesliga "dead".
It seems Pep does make a difference (who would have thought...) and I'm still shocked about him being so underappreciated.
Pep was unlucky that robbery was almost never fully fit during the most important stages of the Champions League.

Bayern actually need to spend some money if they want to replace those two. They were invaluable in 2012/13.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
If Dortmund wins tomorrow they are 7 points ahead of Bayern.

Finally this deserves a push. Let the fight over the name of this thread begin again. :lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think Dortmund are gonna beat Bayern, and that will probably be the end of Kovac?

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It feels like Dortmund should win. But Bayern being Bayern, you just don't know what will happen. I've not watched any Bayern matches this season, but I have Dortmund's, and they have impressed me so far. Btw it's an absolute disgrace that a club like HSV are run so poorly. They probably will be promoted after this season, but they shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. Talk about long suffering fans.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I really hope Dortmund stretches the lead. The bundesliga could use a new champion, so next season bayern buys a couple of his best players again

Walters_19_MuFc

Havent watch this fixture since Klopp left.

Dortmund have looked very good this season and should be a competitive game tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing Sancho too.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I really hope Dortmund stretches the lead. The bundesliga could use a new champion, so next season bayern buys a couple of his best players again
I think german football needs a different winner alright.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Robben didn't travel to Dortmund due to problems with his knee.
Given that he's been a proper boogey-man for Dortmund in these matches that's sort of big news.

I also wonder how being left out of DIE MANNSCHAFT for the first time in years will affect Boateng in DER KLASSIKER.

Yagami

Good post resistant
A good warm-up derby to get us ready for the main event tomorrow.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bürki is out for Dortmund. He has been very solid for them this season.
Hitz is a good enough shot stopper imho, but if Bayern try to aggressively disrupt Dortmund's build-up the difference in ball-playing ability will hurt.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
God I hate that name "Der Klassiker"... daft internet age.
Rivals "die Mannschaft" in cringeworthiness. But the DFB actually used this wording in marketing, so it edges it for me. At least I've never heard "der Klassiker" from a German person.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
If Dortmund wins this, they will win the Bundesliga. I know it's still early in the season but with a 7 point lead and a superior goal difference, and Bayern's inconsistency this season, this victory will be a big psychological boost for Dortmund and I can see the lead widening. With that being said, I think this will be a score draw. Too much at stake for Bayern Munich.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If Dortmund wins this, they will win the Bundesliga. I know it's still early in the season but with a 7 point lead and a superior goal difference, and Bayern's inconsistency this season, this victory will be a big psychological boost for Dortmund and I can see the lead widening. With that being said, I think this will be a score draw. Too much at stake for Bayern Munich.
Nah. It would make Dortmund the clear favourite, but there's still over 20 matches to play and Reus, Witsel getting injured or Bayern signing a new coach/player in the winter window can change things drastically. I also wouldn't take it for granted that such a lead would have a positive effect on Dortmund psychologically, there's no telling how the young players will take that increased pressure.

Last edited:

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Somehow i believe it will be a boring draw. hopefully i am wrong.

RedDevilRoshi

Cheers.

Annoyingly the same time as the prem game. Its almost as though the German football authorities don't care about my viewing habits.
Surely this fixture is more appealing than Palace vs Spuds?

Especially with Dortmund currently flying and Bayern starting the season very inconsistently.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Surely this fixture is more appealing than Palace vs Spuds?

Especially with Dortmund currently flying and Bayern starting the season very inconsistently.
Not really. I don't care who wins this game.

I'll watch games where I am a neutral but much prefer to have someone to root for (or against).

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So Robben is injured and now it has been conveniently leaked to Bild (like clockwork) that James at the very least is not starting, after showing up late yesterday.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Is Jadon Sancho well known or rated in Germany? It'll be interesting to see how he performs. This could be his biggest match to date.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Is Jadon Sancho well known or rated in Germany? It'll be interesting to see how he performs. This could be his biggest match to date.
Weird question. Are you asking if people rate/know one of the best performing players of the current BL season? Obvious answer is yes they do.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dortmund starting without Alcacer, Delaney, Guerreiro and Pulisic...Weigl starts though. And Bruun Larsen too...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What time does this kick off in the UK?

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Weird question. Are you asking if people rate/know one of the best performing players of the current BL season? Obvious answer is yes they do.
Not weird. Sometimes talented young foreign players take awhile to become well known and rated in the UK. And it's so rare that young British players go abroad to a good club and succeed, so it's interesting to hear perspectives of fans who watch them every week.

I'll watch today. I imagine BD is favourite since they're at home.