Di Maria replacement if he decides to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Seconded. That would be some fantastic signing. Personally, I do believe that Di Maria will leave this summer.
No chance in landing him IMO. He is very loyal to Dortmund. Still, you never know.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Not sure how much of a replacement we would need given that he was on the bench most of the time!

ghagua

1 - Kevin De Bruyne
2 - Griezmann
3 - Reus

Reus would be my first choice, but for some reason i don't see him moving. De Bruyne has turned into such an excellent player, he would be my 2nd choice. Money received from a Di Maria sale could be utilized for him. Griezmann would be my 3rd choice, would provide a lot of goals from the wide forward position, something we will need if we play with 1 striker.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The hatstand we used to replace Berbatov with.
A tin of prunes.
Stephen hawking.

DarkXaero

Moura makes sense as a prospect. Young, quick, good dribbler, with plenty of potential. I haven't seen much of Felipe Anderson but we've been linked to him quite a lot. Reus isn't realistic this summer at all, that's more for next summer. Griezmann is a really good player, but he plays the same position as Depay. Cavani is a horrible option for the wing. De Bruyne is a different kind of player but he can play on the wing, and is definitely available this summer. Although I think Bayern are going to get De Bruyne. De Bruyne would be the best option available for us though this summer.

waza7111

If he goes then I think Young will still be first choice for LW because of his performances last season with Depay getting games also. For the RW Mata will be first choice with Januzaj and Lingard getting chances. I don't think it's top priority to replace him straight away. A striker, Goalkeeper to replace de Gea when he leaves and expierenced centre back are probably more important signings.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Hasn't Moura been fairly dissapointing since joining PSG?
Nope, he's developing normally for a player of his age, the past season he was good (better stats and involvement in matches) up until his injury which kept him out of the team for a few weeks. He lost his flow after that.

izec

feck no, i dont want another player, they are all shite and underwhelming.

(Reus isnt gettable)

De Bruyne or Griezmann i would definately take.

Godfather

Nope, he's developing normally for a player of his age, the past season he was good (better stats and involvement in matches) up until his injury which kept him out of the team for a few weeks. He lost his flow after that.
Not that I would be against his signing (in theory if worse comes to worse and we are selling Di Maria). Was just curious as I don't follow PSG at all. Thanks for clarifying.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If (big if though considering last season) Marco Reus can maintain healthy fitness levels, he would be a very sensible choice for the club. Truly believe he's about the same level as Bale both in terms of his impact on the game and overall productivity. eg.

In 2013/ 2014 he had 21 goals and 15 assists in the Bundesliga and Champions League vs 21 goals and 16 assists for Bale in La Liga and Champions League.
In 2012/ 2013 he had 17 goals and 11 assists in the Bundesliga and Champions League vs 24 goals and 7 assists for Bale in the Premier League and Europa League.
In 2011/ 2012 he had 18 goals and 9 assists in the Bundesliga vs 9 goals and 10 assists for Bale in the Premier League.

He could come right in and start at a high level in any of the spots in the forward trio. Very creative, intelligent player who is entering the prime of his career, someone who would bring another element to set pieces and can add pace and dynamism to the attack. To be fair, Bale has a big edge in terms of physical prowess, left foot usage for the right flank, and experience in the league; but to kind of counterbalance that, Reus would likely cost half of what Bale would (maybe €40-45 million tops) and IMO his game will not decline heavily as he ages because he's not as reliant on his dribbling ability. Even in limited playing time last season, he chipped in with 10 goals and 7 assists in 22 starts in the Bundesliga and Champions League which is a very good output in a struggling team.

That said, he might not want to leave Dortmund given how he's a local, and even the likes of Hummels have taken a loyal stance under Tuchel. And his injuries are a bit concerning. Dunno how much impact they'll have on his game. Ligament tears can have long standing effects on athletic performance. If it all doesn't check out, Griezmann would be a sound option, as would Bale. Would love to see the latter at United, but he is very much Perez's pet project and might not be allowed to leave anytime soon. Wouldn't mind giving more chances to Adnan either if it comes to that, although IMO (and according to a lot of other United supporters too) his best position is as a #10, a position we aren't very likely to see that often in Van Gaal's 1-4-3-3. :(

Has to be Sasuke
Quiet orokanaru otouto yo. It should be Itachi sama.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I would like us to keep di Maria but there is no point in keeping him if he genuinely wants to leave.

The only players who could fill the void left by him, as @Invictus said, are Bale, Reus or Griemann (B>R>>>G). All three of them are a better goal threat then di Maria and would be more suited to play out wide in the 433, where you need goals from the wide areas with only one striker.

However, it'll significantly weaken our squad if we can't get any of the three and have to allow di Maria to leave. I hope the Gaitan rumors are as true as they have been in the last 3-4 years.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Schneiderlin 25m
Felipe Anderson 30m

Jev

Griezman would be great and it seems like Atletico are very realistic and pragmatic about transfers. At a fair price they will sell and reshuffle their squad. But he would be expensive.

Lucas Moura would be obvious in a swap deal and I still think there's a lot more in him. Don't think Reus is realistic, and KDB is too Mata esque.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Felipe Anderson 30m
Give us a low down, mate. Thanks.

Griezman would be great and it seems like Atletico are very realistic and pragmatic about transfers. At a fair price they will sell and reshuffle their squad. But he would be expensive.

Lucas Moura would be obvious in a swap deal and I still think there's a lot more in him. Don't think Reus is realistic, and KDB is too Mata esque.
Think Griezmann has a 60m Euro release clause.

Kant-ona

Griezmann is on the target list of Bayern Munich - and normally Pep and Bayern get what they want.

(I still hate the idea of Di Maria leaving. His first season was really not too impressive, but it would be a shame if he already gives up. Get up and fight, man.)

predator

Youth NITK
Why are people suggesting he is going to leave? I've not seen any concrete source about him wanting to leave. I'd be shocked if he goes after one season.

Castia

We need to keep him, honestly it will be a massive blow if he leaves.

Kag

Unless he was completely insistent on leaving to the extent he became a problem then selling him would be unwise. He's a very good player and offers the side something it simply doesn't have. His pace is a huge asset to us and he's more than capable of playing well in a stronger, more settled team.

We'd replace him, if we even do, with a player of inferior quality.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Give us a low down, mate. Thanks..
Pacey, technically gifted and versatile with a good eye for goal. Anderson on the right, Depay on the left, Mata in the middle with Rooney upfront and we've got a title contending team

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What is Bale's release clause? If it is something like €200m I can see Woody paying it, especially if we get €85m odd for Angel.

Devil may care

Looking at how we are doing business I don't see us selling a marquee name and not buying someone, this isn't the "I'm happy with the squad" era, this is Woodward's regime and he's seemingly intent on making us transfer heavy hitters.

I also think some are over dramatizing what losing Di Maria would mean, he's a very good winger no doubt, never mind his best run as a hybrid at Real, but in a front 3 he doesn't offer a lot of goal threat and I think LvG might be looking to add goal threat either side of Rooney since getting another top striker will be hard.

Griezmann
De Bryune
Reus

Would seem the 3 logical potential choices, personally I'd go for Fekir from Lyon but I imagine his lack of experience and name value would play against him.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
I'd LOVE Reus but I think he's probably off to one of the big two in Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.