Diego Simeone - the missing one

AlwaysRed66

The problem with Atletico is they hardly score, & if an opponent scores twice they are in deep trouble. Talented team led by a negative controlling manager. Ring any bells.

cheeky_backheel

The problem with Atletico is they hardly score, & if an opponent scores twice they are in deep trouble. Talented team led by a negative controlling manager. Ring any bells.
and how many of these players were deemed 'talented' before playing for Simeone?

Atletico is not the star studded team you are trying to paint.

Before Simeone took over, they had not finished in top 3 la liga in almost a decade and were even less relevant in Europe.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It was the so called 'take a risk' that led to him bringing on another striker in Correa (to make it a front 3), but what they got in return was correa giving away the penalty.
Like I said before, making a sub just wasn't enough. He needed to make his team play more advanced and had them go for it because the third goal was coming for everyone to see.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Isn't the final in their stadium this year. Then you would think they try the best to make sure they got to the final. Ronaldo scored and they went to pieces.

cheeky_backheel

Like I said before, making a sub just wasn't enough. He needed to make his team play more advanced and had them go for it because the third goal was coming for everyone to see.
The 3rd goal was from a penalty conceded by a striker's challenge - there was nothing 'coming' about it.

That Atletico team did not have what it takes to go for it. It was going for it and being hit on the quick counter that cost them the first goal.

Atletico have been successful under Simeone cos of the way they play. Arguing that they should play differently to be successful is simply baseless.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The 3rd goal was from a penalty conceded by a striker's challenge - there was nothing 'coming' about it.

That Atletico team did not have what it takes to go for it. It was going for it and being hit on the quick counter that cost them the first goal.

Atletico have been successful under Simeone cos of the way they play. Arguing that they should play differently to be successful is simply baseless.
This.

Canagel

The 3rd goal was coming for about 30/35 minutes. if you couldn't see that I'm not sure what game you watched. they didn't have to radically change their style. just pose some kind of threat.

LingiBW

and how many of these players were deemed 'talented' before playing for Simeone?

Atletico is not the star studded team you are trying to paint.

Before Simeone took over, they had not finished in top 3 la liga in almost a decade and were even less relevant in Europe.
They may not be star studded but what they showed against Juve was pathetic.

And it matters not as to what they were as a club before Simeone, he's been there for around 6 or so years,he's tranformed the squad but unfortunately for them their coach must still think of how the club was before he took over to always play how he does time after time.

kouroux

Pff you cannot be serious with this if you watched the game at 2-2 and didn't think Juventus were gonna do it if Atletico kept playing so low.
The 3rd goal was coming for about 30/35 minutes. if you couldn't see that I'm not sure what game you watched. they didn't have to radically change their style. just pose some kind of threat.
It's as simple as this. I actually cannot believe one didn't think Juve were gonna do it at that point if Atletico didn't drastically change their approach

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Pff you cannot be serious with this if you watched the game at 2-2 and didn't think Juventus were gonna do it if Atletico kept playing so low.

It's as simple as this. I actually cannot believe one didn't think Juve were gonna do it at that point if Atletico didn't drastically change their approach
I agree with him. Juventus looked like they were losing momentum in the second half after the first 15 minutes.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Atletico were the epitome of a team showing up trying to defend their way through a two-legged tie. They got done because they offered nothing in attack.

Judas

Open to offers
There was never a doubt in my mind Juve were winning yesterday, for pretty much the entire 90 minutes. There was no loss of momentum, it was simply just a matter of time. Atletico offered so little, in such a big game, the plan failed miserably.

kouroux

There was never a doubt in my mind Juve were winning yesterday, for pretty much the entire 90 minutes. There was no loss of momentum, it was simply just a matter of time. Atletico offered so little, in such a big game, the plan failed miserably.
Because it was Ronaldo who opened the scoring, I had no doubt too. Their entire team brought the right level of intensity for this game.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I agree with him. Juventus looked like they were losing momentum in the second half after the first 15 minutes.
Atletico got a bit better as the second half progressed but they still were cack. I couldn't believe it. One of the worst performances I've ever seen at this level.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Simeone was plain tactically inept to defend so deep when the other team has such an all-time great header of the ball as Ronaldo in the lineup.

Mcking

The thing with defensive tactics is if it works then you will be seen as a hero, but if it doesn't then you will be seen as a coward. I can't think of many differences between our set-up in the second leg against PSG and Atletico's set-up against Juventus. We even needed to score goals unlike Atletico who were defending a lead.

cheeky_backheel

Since the goal was coming for so long, how many shots on goal did Juve have during this spell? How many times did ythey hit the bar?

cheeky_backheel

They may not be star studded but what they showed against Juve was pathetic.

And it matters not as to what they were as a club before Simeone, he's been there for around 6 or so years,he's tranformed the squad but unfortunately for them their coach must still think of how the club was before he took over to always play how he does time after time.
Simeone molded the team in the image of himself - effort, grit, defense etc. This is what has brought them the level of success they have had with the limited budget he has had.

Most of his signings are low cost and/or rejects of other clubs (e.g. Costa and Morata) and yet he has made la liga a competition of 2.5 clubs.

There is no other la liga club with similar limited budget that has had a similar level of success.

One might not like his style, but he has taken atletico farther than any other manager could possibly do on the same budget

cheeky_backheel

Simeone was plain tactically inept to defend so deep when the other team has such an all-time great header of the ball as Ronaldo in the lineup.
This is just hilarious - the coach of one of the best defensive teams of this era is being called tactically inept.

If Simeone is tactically inept, then almost every other manager must be tactically brain dead.

LingiBW

Simeone molded the team in the image of himself - effort, grit, defense etc. This is what has brought them the level of success they have had with the limited budget he has had.

Most of his signings are low cost and/or rejects of other clubs (e.g. Costa and Morata) and yet he has made la liga a competition of 2.5 clubs.

There is no other la liga club with similar limited budget that has had a similar level of success.

One might not like his style, but he has taken atletico farther than any other manager could possibly do on the same budget
Fully agreed that qe has done more with little, but its not just against the big teams. Atletico Madrid always plays with an air on negativity/defense about them. A lot of their games are won by tight margins even against teams you'd consider inferior to them.

Being a forward in that team must be so frustrating.

cheeky_backheel

Fully agreed that qe has done more with little, but its not just against the big teams. Atletico Madrid always plays with an air on negativity/defense about them. A lot of their games are won by tight margins even against teams you'd consider inferior to them.

Being a forward in that team must be so frustrating.
But that is the identity of the team that Simeone has built and so far it has worked well enough for them

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
The highest paid manager in the world - only to complete another disappointing season where he goes out by playing cowardly from minute 0. Atleti played some wonderful stuff once they were 1-0 down but as soon as they scored, they reverted back to cautious mode. He'll never learn.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Atletico players seem so in love with him that I feel the day he does leave, they'll take a couple of seasons to adjust and probably not reach the same levels

RooneyLegend

The highest paid manager in the world - only to complete another disappointing season where he goes out by playing cowardly from minute 0. Atleti played some wonderful stuff once they were 1-0 down but as soon as they scored, they reverted back to cautious mode. He'll never learn.
They might have to have a rethink about him. He's shown an incapability to put together a balanced side in many seasons now.

RooneyLegend

Atletico players seem so in love with him that I feel the day he does leave, they'll take a couple of seasons to adjust and probably not reach the same levels
It's all about the replacement. If it's someone like Bordelas it won't take much adjusting to. If it's some no name brand it'll be an issue.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Look at how much money in transfer fees was sitting on Atletico's bench today. You can do that if you are City, PSG etc. but Atletico can't afford to spend so much money and then have these players flop/sit on the bench in games like these.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would say he did well to maintain Atl Madrid in top 4 or 3rd place comfortably. I have seen lot of La Liga team only maintained it for 3-4 years like Valencia, Sevilla & Vilarreal. But, is it really their only ambition? I wonder if financially they are fine.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Crap manager with only spoiler tactics. Boring style of play and cannot continue to play the underdog when you have £200m sitting on the bench against Leipzig.

Will always be the third team in Spain with him in charge and just because he is animated on the sidelines it doesn’t make him a tactical genius. Must be terrible to be a season ticket holder there and churn out the same shite season after season and finish third.